Found Deceased IA - Xavior Harrelson, 10, Montezuma, 27 May 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
When and where, yes. By whom, no. MOO

MAY 27, 2021
Poweshiek County Sheriff's Office | Facebook
The Poweshiek County Sheriff's Office has taken a missing juvenile report from Montezuma. 10 year old Xavior Harrelson was last seen 5-27-21 at 11am in Montezuma. Wearing red T-shirt, blue pajama pants and black high top shoes. Xavior is approximately 4'8" tall and 100 .lbs. He has brown hair and blue eyes. If anyone knows his whereabouts or has seen him contact the Poweshiek County Sheriff's Office 641-623-5679
I appreciate that reply as that's about what I was thinking I'd read. I was hoping i had missed a more accurate location than "in Montezuma" though. I...well, I don't think I can stress enough how the lack of details around the whole where & by whom thing bother me. These are the things that keep me up at night about cases like these.

I can only guess that the information was corroborated by neighbors. ie: Nobody saw a vehicle there, nobody saw anyone go in or out, nobody heard anyone but Mom and Xavior, etc. MOO

Yes, that seems like a small trailer park. You really can see what is going on at the neighbours in a park like that. There are no separate, long driveways or garages to hide cars coming and going.

And one way in and one way out. So unless a guest was really crafty and cunning, I think neighbours would have seen them if they were there.

But I do have to add, that if someone had already been there, a day or two earlier, maybe nobody noticed?

I appreciate that reply as that's about what I was thinking I'd read. I was hoping i had missed a more accurate location than "in Montezuma" though. I...well, I don't think I can stress enough how the lack of details around the whole where & by whom thing bother me. These are the things that keep me up at night about cases like these.
I know what you mean...'In Mongtezuma' tells us nothing.

Was he playing in the Trailer park like he was fine?

Was he walking down the main road in his pj's, like he was headed somewhere?

Was he in town somewhere?

I wish we had some context.

MAY 27, 2021
The Poweshiek County Sheriff's Office has taken a missing juvenile report from Montezuma. 10 year old Xavior Harrelson was last seen 5-27-21 at 11am in Montezuma. Wearing red T-shirt, blue pajama pants and black high top shoes. Xavior is approximately 4'8" tall and 100 .lbs. He has brown hair and blue eyes. If anyone knows his whereabouts or has seen him contact the Poweshiek County Sheriff's Office 641-623-5679

MAY 27, 2021
And on the coattails of my last response, I have to ask, WHY? Why hasn't that "last seen" info been shared? Is the info unreliable? Would it possibly cause people to cast blame on someone that LE isn't ready to ID as a POI? Would it implicate someone LE doesn't want to be seen as an implicated party? I just hate, hate, hate that this basic detail seems to have been hidden from the public. Is it just me, or does this seem unusual?

And on the coattails of my last response, I have to ask, WHY? Why hasn't that "last seen" info been shared? Is the info unreliable? Would it possibly cause people to cast blame on someone that LE isn't ready to ID as a POI? Would it implicate someone LE doesn't want to be seen as an implicated party? I just hate, hate, hate that this basic detail seems to have been hidden from the public. Is it just me, or does this seem unusual?
I hear you. I have seen this before but I don't yet understand the reason for it in this case. In addition to the fact that neither of the parent's names have been disclosed, where the father lives isn't being revealed, the neighbor had to report Xavior missing, the father spoke to a reporter but only off-camera, the mother hasn't spoken publicly at all, LE doesn't disclose who last saw him...all of these things together? Definitely unusual... MOO

If the mother didn't see Xavior and the neighbors didn't see Xavior, who did? :confused:

Breaking it down:

Evening of Wed, May 26: There was a heated argument heard by neighbors between Xavior and his mother around 8pm that lasted about 20 minutes.

Morning of Thurs, May 27th
: No one from the trailer park saw Xavior outside playing as they normally did.

Morning of Thurs, May 27
: LE said Xavior was seen on this date at 11:00 a.m. although "who" saw him has not been disclosed. "Where" was described only as "Montezuma." PCSO | Facebook

Thurs, May 27
: Some of the calls that Xavior’s mother made to friends confirmed that she hadn’t seen him Thurs morning, according to reports of those friends. SR received a call from Xavior’s mother on Thurs afternoon saying that her son was gone.

Evening of Thurs, May 27
: SR says the mother – whose name was not released – refused to report her son’s disappearance to the police so SR did it herself Thursday night.

Neighbors recall night before Xavior Harrelson's disappearance (kcci.com)

I know what you mean...'In Mongtezuma' tells us nothing.

Was he playing in the Trailer park like he was fine?

Was he walking down the main road in his pj's, like he was headed somewhere?

Was he in town somewhere?

I wish we had some context.
IMO, it appears the neighbors didn't see him that morning which they thought was unusual. For the "last seen" info to be so vague, hopefully is a purposeful move by LE. Surely one of those businesses near their trailer park (tombstone company next door, business with large tank across the street or Casey's General Store at the nearby intersection) had some security cameras...

I live in Lafayette, LA. When Mickey Shunick vanished on May 12, 2012, images caught on surveillance tape the night of her disappearance were the key to figuring out what happened to her. I'm a single mom with an adult daughter, teenage daughter and preK granddaughter living with me full time. Most of our arguments are resolved without screaming at each other. However, about 4 months ago an argument got very heated. I know the neighbors had to hear us screaming at each other. I walked out the door to defuse the situation and took off walking down the street to calm down and clear my head. Without knowing where I was going, I ended up at Mickey's memorial ghost bike. I sat on the bench there and realized how blessed I am that my girls are safe at home. I cried until there were no more tears left then ran home as fast as I could to resolve our conflict peacefully. I hope to God they (LE) have something...

One leg, I believe the left leg.

I guess there is quite a range in what she'd be capable of depending on the standard of rehabilitation she's recieved and if it's below/above the knee and why she needed it amputated in the 1st place..

An otherwise healthy younger person with good rehabilitation, no underlying health conditions and a standard prosthetic can get to the point they can walk hundreds of metres in one go.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/7912879_Claimed_walking_distance_of_lower_limb_amputees

Even then dragging/carrying 30kg or your average 10 year old across the ground for any distance I imagine would be extremely challenging even for even good outcomes.

The fact IA is seen as a care giver would suggest she's not on the better side of outcomes to me. Struggling in that case to see how she'd potentially be able to pull it off without the involvement of a 3rd party if the local area has been searched thoroughly.

JMO.

"Xavior Harrelson was last seen around 11 a.m. Thursday on his bike near his family's home on the north side of Montezuma, according to the Associated Press."

Missing Montezuma, Iowa, boy, Xavior Harrelson prompts search

I guess there is quite a range in what she'd be capable of depending on the standard of rehabilitation she's recieved and if it's below/above the knee and why she needed it amputated in the 1st place..

An otherwise healthy younger person with good rehabilitation, no underlying health conditions and a standard prosthetic can get to the point they can walk hundreds of metres in one go.
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/7912879_Claimed_walking_distance_of_lower_limb_amputees

Even then dragging/carrying 30kg or your average 10 year old across the ground for any distance I imagine would be extremely challenging even for even good outcomes.

The fact IA is seen as a care giver would suggest she's not on the better side of outcomes to me. Struggling in that case to see how she'd potentially be able to pull it off without the involvement of a 3rd party if the local area has been searched thoroughly.

JMO.
Indeed, while many amputees are able to be more physically active than the average American and there are track and field athletes who are amputees etc, with the MSM statement that his mother struggled to use her prosthesis, I believe the average 11 year old could have resolute gotten away from her in a conflict. Not completely ruling anything out, but an incident in the house leading to incapacitation is low on my list.

The only thing I can add to this case is hoping for a safe return. The longer he's gone the less likely that is. In keeping with victim friendly theme I will also say that sometimes socioeconomic status may prevent people from speaking out for fear of judgement. If they've had previous legal issues that would also have an impact. They may become defensive or feel like neighbors etc are busy bodies and didn't expect things to end up where this is at today.

The only thing I can add to this case is hoping for a safe return. The longer he's gone the less likely that is. In keeping with victim friendly theme I will also say that sometimes socioeconomic status may prevent people from speaking out for fear of judgement. If they've had previous legal issues that would also have an impact. They may become defensive or feel like neighbors etc are busy bodies and didn't expect things to end up where this is at today.
Interesting take. Usually in a missing child case, the public is sympathetic with a distraught mother who just wants her child back, regardless of socioeconomic status. This is an odd case.

jmo

Interesting take. Usually in a missing child case, the public is sympathetic with a distraught mother who just wants her child back, regardless of socioeconomic status. This is an odd case.

jmo
I have to admit I've turned this every which way I can and I'm stumped. I have thoughts on which way it will go but nothing solid and I like solid.

Former FBI agent provides insight on elements of Xavior Harrelson's case
kcci.png

Updated: 10:26 PM CDT Jun 3, 2021

Chris Gothner

MONTEZUMA, Iowa —
Thursday marks one week since 11-year-old Xavior Harrelson disappeared from his Montezuma home.

The past week has seen mass searches and national attention, but right now police haven't publicly released any clues.
"Eleven years of age, a child away from home for that period of time is dangerous no matter what," said Michael Tabman, a retired FBI agent.

While Tabman isn't involved with the case, he provided insight on the multiple challenges law enforcement will face with a missing child investigation.

Tabman said in this case information neighbors have shared with KCCI raises some alarms. Primarily reports of fighting preceding Xavior's disappearance and the fact a friend reported him missing instead of his mother.

"That's very troubling, very disturbing," Tabman said. "And unfortunately, I don't have an optimistic outlook for how this is going to end.

One challenge he said investigators face is time.

"Time is not your friend," Tabman said. "So with each passing moment, there's just one more chance that this person falling into danger."

He said it means less of a chance of finding key physical evidence like a footprint or someone remembering a key detail.

One week later investigators said they feel they're making progress and continue to be thorough.

"We still have agents knocking on doors and sheriff's investigators," said Mitch Mortvedt, with the Division of Criminal Investigation.

While some have questioned why there haven't been more mass searches, Tabman said everyone should trust law enforcement's judgment.

"The public shouldn't be frustrated, because they don't know what's happening behind the scenes," Tabman said. "It doesn't mean law enforcement's not doing anything."

Former FBI agent provides insight on elements of Xavior Harrelson's case
kcci.png

Updated: 10:26 PM CDT Jun 3, 2021

Chris Gothner

MONTEZUMA, Iowa —
Thursday marks one week since 11-year-old Xavior Harrelson disappeared from his Montezuma home.

The past week has seen mass searches and national attention, but right now police haven't publicly released any clues.
"Eleven years of age, a child away from home for that period of time is dangerous no matter what," said Michael Tabman, a retired FBI agent.

While Tabman isn't involved with the case, he provided insight on the multiple challenges law enforcement will face with a missing child investigation.

Tabman said in this case information neighbors have shared with KCCI raises some alarms. Primarily reports of fighting preceding Xavior's disappearance and the fact a friend reported him missing instead of his mother.

"That's very troubling, very disturbing," Tabman said. "And unfortunately, I don't have an optimistic outlook for how this is going to end.

One challenge he said investigators face is time.

"Time is not your friend," Tabman said. "So with each passing moment, there's just one more chance that this person falling into danger."

He said it means less of a chance of finding key physical evidence like a footprint or someone remembering a key detail.

One week later investigators said they feel they're making progress and continue to be thorough.

"We still have agents knocking on doors and sheriff's investigators," said Mitch Mortvedt, with the Division of Criminal Investigation.

While some have questioned why there haven't been more mass searches, Tabman said everyone should trust law enforcement's judgment.

"The public shouldn't be frustrated, because they don't know what's happening behind the scenes," Tabman said. "It doesn't mean law enforcement's not doing anything."

Sounds very much like this former FBI agent thinks the solution to finding out what happened to Xavier is very close to home.
Sadly I'd have to agree.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members