Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #62 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
He has the neighbor make the 911 call, then has his own daughter notify Suzanne's family.
I didn't think I could be more disgusted with Barry Morphew.
I was wrong.
:mad:
Every time Barry opened his mouth to someone he stepped in a bucket. Maybe buckethead learned that the less he said the better. That way it can't be used against him. IMO

Lotsa thoughts this morning. I have to wonder how many anecdotal stories will sneak into the trial or which ones will stand the legal test and which ones won’t. The most interesting to me is what hard evidence they have. There is plenty of stories that may constitute circumstantial but I can’t get past the issue of the charges they chose and what that entails legally.

I am guessing that Barry's own words (voluntarily given to LE while an investigation into the disappearance of his wife was on-going) will sink him.

The rules of evidence, as I read them, will permit whatever he said to police to be used against him, as long as he knew they were police and that the words were being recorded.

Barry is, after all, the only eyewitness to what happened to Suzanne (per current court documents). His words are not "anecdotal" under the law. I'm sure his lawyers will attempt to bar what he said prior to arrest as inadmissible, but I am doubtful they'll be successful.

I also think that certain items missing from Barry's truck (perhaps a cooler) will be shown via various camera footage.

If the Court disallows actual reading of transcripts of what Barry said to police, the police will themselves take the stand, swear to tell the truth, and, using notes and recordings, tell the jury what Barry said. It'll come in, one way or another.

I think it will be devastating to Barry's case. I believe Barry contradicted himself and that as LE combed over early evidence, Barry changed his story many times (and not just his alibi which, by itself, will be convincing to some jurors).

I am guessing that Barry's own words (voluntarily given to LE while an investigation into the disappearance of his wife was on-going) will sink him.

The rules of evidence, as I read them, will permit whatever he said to police to be used against him, as long as he knew they were police and that the words were being recorded.

Barry is, after all, the only eyewitness to what happened to Suzanne (per current court documents). His words are not "anecdotal" under the law. I'm sure his lawyers will attempt to bar what he said prior to arrest as inadmissible, but I am doubtful they'll be successful.

I also think that certain items missing from Barry's truck (perhaps a cooler) will be shown via various camera footage.

If the Court disallows actual reading of transcripts of what Barry said to police, the police will themselves take the stand, swear to tell the truth, and, using notes and recordings, tell the jury what Barry said. It'll come in, one way or another.

I think it will be devastating to Barry's case. I believe Barry contradicted himself and that as LE combed over early evidence, Barry changed his story many times (and not just his alibi which, by itself, will be convincing to some jurors).
I agree that Barry’s interviews will have a place. It is the 1400 other tips I am curious about. How many of those have legal implications. I have never heard Barry change his story in the few media snippets other than him correcting the omission of the stop to fix something on the excavator that JP confirmed he did although I have seen the claims in a few places that said he changed his story so they remains to be seen. There are many rumors and opinions that have followed this case for the last 13 months.

I agree that Barry’s interviews will have a place. It is the 1400 other tips I am curious about. How many of those have legal implications. I have never heard Barry change his story in the few media snippets other than him correcting the omission of the stop to fix something on the excavator that JP confirmed he did although I have seen the claims in a few places that said he changed his story so they remains to be seen. There are many rumors and opinions that have followed this case for the last 13 months.
Gosh, sounds like you’ve missed a lot. You might look over @AmandaReckonwith archived case notes. They’re at the beginning of new threads usually.

"Tips" are not going to be in the AA (much less in court). I believe Spezze said they did 400 search warrants? We don't know how many formal interviews. I suspect that some of the search warrants turned up nothing.

You certainly can count that time he signed as witness to Suzanne's ballot (thereby stating he witnessed her sign it) and then readily admitted to the FBI agents that was not true, he did not witness her sign it.

Are you suggesting that the Court had no probable cause to arrest Barry? Because it appears that half of the Affadavit was statements by Barry. I think most of them were made to LE (guessing from what his attorneys said in court).

I also count the fact that he used past tense to speak of Suzanne, while maintaining to the Court of Indiana that she was merely indisposed/missing.

Also, giving contradictory variants to the "where is Suzanne" question (see his youtube) when there's enough evidence for probable cause for his arrest seems to beg the question. There was no mountain lion and he knew it. And he told a reporter he took a polygraph, whereas LE says he did not.

If Barry is sitting quietly in court, but secretly believes Suzanne is still alive, he ought to have mentioned that to the FBI at Franz Lake and his attorneys ought to have filed a motion immediately. That leads me to believe that Barry is not and will not dispute that Suzanne is dead. Hmmm. So no "very close" person who "has her," no mountain lion, no stranger abduction - because if there were not evidence that Barry Morphew committed the crime, the Court would have not signed off on the arrest warrant.

From the Judge's order:

“These young women are in an unimaginable situation and should be given time to process what has occurred and the time to review, or decide not to review, the evidence alleged against their father,”

Now, if the Court does not believe Suzanne is dead, and that the AA establishes this, then the Court has gone mad. Obviously, the Court is holding Barry on Murder 1, so the Court believes the affadavit establishes her death and that this fact will cause the daughters trauma - and that they may decide they don't want to know the (alleged) details. But there *are* details.

The biggest lie? That Barry acted on several occasions as if Suzanne was alive. This is a HUGE lie.

Reassuring post @10ofRods Thank you! Yes, the circumstantial evidence along with Barry’s words, contradictions of self will do him in. I’m sure LE has a good handle on the motive as well. MOO

https://twitter.com/LaurenScharfTV/status/1403803482205810688

Lauren Scharf
@LaurenScharfTV

You can now visit Salida and sit on the bench dedicated for #suzannemorphew at Wild Horse Salon located at 733 Blake St. #FindSuzanne #ShinebrightforSuzanne
1f4f8.svg
: Tisha Leewaye

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 22.20.06.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-12 at 22.20.06.png
    783.2 KB · Views: 66
Clearly the judge who signed the arrest warrant felt there was enough to sign off. I have said several times that I am assuming there is enough to get him bound over for trial. I have no insider info and I don’t know the family so am like everyone with the exception that I prefer to wait to see what of all the voluminous speculation was actually relevant and admissible and not go down the rumor rabbit holes. . I think this is a very interesting case because there has been so much speculation, there is a new prosecutor so curious what changed from December to May and there are a couple pretty sharp attorneys and a judge who seems to care about the letter of the law. I can live with the knowledge that not every rumor or tip yielded viable info.

Tips are not relevant to the case unless they turn into leads. LE has to follow through with each tip, and most of them are eliminated if they aren't helpful to the investigation. I don't think they pay any attention to rumors unless there is some sort of evidence to back them up.

As far as Barry's story is concerned, it wouldn't have been to his benefit to change it. The mountain lion theory and the abduction story were probably the best he could come up with.

The rest of his story was likely to support his alibi. He had to go to Broomfield early to prep for the job, he left Suzanne sleeping at 5:00 in the morning, he called and left a message to wish her a Happy Mothers day, etc.

His story may be consistent but apparently the evidence doesn't support it. Imo

ITA, especially the bolded.

How often have we seen a defendant's words used against her/himself? I am convinced also that there is photographic evidence of a vanishing cooler.

BM could completely change his story before, or for, the trial. It has happened before.
There will be things that he can't change, because there is CCTV of him or phone pings ... and he will be made aware of that via the AA and the discovery items.

But if it is to his benefit there will be things that he can change. He will just have to have a good reason for his conflicting stories (I was scared, I thought it would make me look guilty, I was confused and distracted, I was trying to protect my daughters, the police were forcing me to say that, they twisted my words ..... ).

The biggest thing that he can change is to try to plead down to a lesser charge and not go to court at all.

(Of course, there is something else he can change - fess up and say where Suzanne is - but I think that is highly unlikely to happen.)

Tips are not relevant to the case unless they turn into leads. LE has to follow through with each tip, and most of them are eliminated if they aren't helpful to the investigation. I don't think they pay any attention to rumors unless there is some sort of evidence to back them up.

As far as Barry's story is concerned, it wouldn't have been to his benefit to change it. The mountain lion theory and the abduction story were probably the best he could come up with.

The rest of his story was likely to support his alibi. He had to go to Broomfield early to prep for the job, he left Suzanne sleeping at 5:00 in the morning, he called and left a message to wish her a Happy Mothers day, etc.

This. I don’t think he has changed his story but I have to assume LE found things that contradict or things would not be where they are today.

Yes ... many tips can lead absolutely nowhere.

In the William Tyrrell case, the police have had over 12,000 tips. William is still lost. His perp is still out there. :(

Thanks! I thought so, but wasn’t quite sure!

So, her sister basically tells the story of them growing up (same as she shared on CM’s channel) and when Suzanne married Barry. She says that both she and Suzanne married equally controlling men. Suzanne was viewed by Barry as a possession, a trophy.

Both of the sisters were committed to their marriages, but unhappy for years. They mistook control for love. The Morphew’s were under great financial stress.

She praises John Spezze and how he has handled this case from the beginning. The last text message she received from Suzanne shared the struggles she was having with Barry and that message is only for a court of law now.

She wanted to share Suzanne’s story with other women who may be in a similar situation. Melinda was able to get out of her marriage, but Suzanne didn’t make it out of hers alive.

This is truly heartbreaking, IMO. I pray for Suzanne’s family and hope they will receive justice for their sister.

So upsetting, that so many women 'stay' in unhappy marriages.
I have a friend, for years, only stays for the grandkids,.
She states, if they divorce, he'll find someone else, and his remaining money will go to the new partner, not his grandkids !!!!:(:(:(
So miserable, but husband not violent.

Yes, not facing GM even with a phone call was cowardice. “It’s too soon.” He needed more time to figure out which lies to go with. BM putting his daughter in that position is beyond sick! He has zero regards for anyone but himself. MM1 will remember that phone call for the rest of her life. BM uses people. Makes me sick! MOO

I think, BM was continually thinking of his next 'fib' and once LE tabulates them, it will be clear.
BM spent his thoughts in 'how' to get everyone 'off track'.
This line of thought helped lead to his downfall.

I think, BM was continually thinking of his next 'fib' and once LE tabulates them, it will be clear.
BM spent his thoughts in 'how' to get everyone 'off track'.
This line of thought helped lead to his downfall.
Barry is a narcissistic manipulator....not a good combo. He thinks he is capable of getting anyone, including skilled, experienced LE professionals to dance to his tune as if they are fry cookers at Denny's.

So upsetting, that so many women 'stay' in unhappy marriages.
I have a friend, for years, only stays for the grandkids,.
She states, if they divorce, he'll find someone else, and his remaining money will go to the new partner, not his grandkids !!!!:(:(:(
So miserable, but husband not violent.
Get out anyway. Freedom to live your life, however it proceeds, is better than bondage. Look to family and friends for the support, emotional and material if needed to move on. Bondage to someone undeserving of that power should be rejected.....in spite of the fear. I know its harder said than done...but life is precious, one time only and limited. Live it as a free human being.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member