SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
HMMM

WEDNESDAY, JUNE 9

10 a.m.: Colleton County Sheriff’s Office releases the initial police report from the double homicide. It’s one sentence long and refers to a supplemental report that the department has declined to provide. Under South Carolina law, initial police reports must be made publicly available within 14 days of the incident, but supplemental reports do not. The Sheriff’s Office has also declined to release 911 recordings from the night of the shooting.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/news/state/south-carolina/article252074163.html#storylink=cpy

Didn't previous media reports say he was with his terminally ill father?

That was stated as fact in a post that I believe was modsnipped because there was no MSM link to substantiate it. This is why it is so important to include links for what you post. Offhand comments take on a life of their own and become part of the narrative when there was no verification that is was indeed true. Websleuths is dedicated to being a fact-based true crime discussion site, and it takes the efforts of all of our members to uphold that. If there is MSM substantiation to the notion that AM was anywhere other than what is stated in the story just posted upthread and linked here below, please bring it forward with a link so we can keep the details as clear as possible. Otherwise we cannot speculate on where he was.

Son from powerful family 'was target of shooting at family's hunting lodge that also killed his mom' | Daily Mail Online

It was Richard Alex who reportedly found the body's of his wife and son around 10pm Monday night. Sources said he told cops he had been out shooting and returned to the grim scene.

Last edited:
That was stated as fact in a post that I believe was modsnipped because there was no MSM link to substantiate it. This is why it is so important to include links for what you post. Offhand comments take on a life of their own and become part of the narrative when there was no verification that is was indeed true. Websleuths is dedicated to being a fact-based true crime discussion site, and it takes the efforts of all of our members to uphold that. If there is MSM substantiation to the notion that AM was anywhere other than what is stated in the story just posted, please bring it forward with a link so we can keep the details as clear as possible. Otherwise we cannot speculate on where he was.

Thank you Coco for clarifying. That's why I didn't want to assume it was true.
It's so easy to lose track of the "facts" as reported by MSM.

Son from powerful family 'was target of shooting at family's hunting lodge that also killed his mom' | Daily Mail Online

Some new info…Dad was out hunting and returned to find the bodies. Supposedly, Paul was the target, Mom collateral.

<modsnip>
Just to pull the article quote:
“It was Richard Alex who reportedly found the body's of his wife and son around 10pm Monday night. Sources said he told cops he had been out shooting and returned to the grim scene.”

Is it common to be out shooting at that time of night?

This is an older article…before the killings . It describes some interesting facts about the way the boating case was handled.

“Twenty-year-old Paul Murdaugh, a member of a powerful and influential South Carolina family that includes a former 14th Circuit solicitor, has not been arrested after being charged with three felony counts last week in the February boat crash that killed teen Mallory Beach.

He is also not having a preliminary hearing, which is where the evidence against him would have been outlined for the public and where his attorneys could have made arguments in his defense prior to indictment

Snip

At the scene of the crash, Paul Murdaugh was not offered a sobriety test.

He was taken to Beaufort Memorial Hospital, where South Carolina Department of Natural Resources officers say Randolph and Alexander Murdaugh blocked investigators from questioning him and another boater who had been identified as a possible driver, agency officials later said.

The elder Murdaughs also told investigators that neither Paul Murdaugh nor the other boater would submit to sobriety tests, DNR officials have said.

Kittle said the Attorney General’s office tends to handle cases brought to them by SCDNR and other state agencies differently.

There are two procedures used by the office when filing charges, he said.

“Warrant or indictment,” Kittle said. “With a warrant, law enforcement arrests someone, they are booked, have a preliminary hearing. Then they still need to be indicted.”

Wilson’s office typically receives a report from agencies they work with and then gives an opinion on attaining a warrant or going straight to the grand jury for indictment, Kittle said. Going to the grand jury directly bypasses the warrant, arrest and preliminary hearing process.

“That is often the way it happens in our office,” Kittle said. “We just go straight to the grand jury and indictment. Most of our cases, these are state agencies that come to us and the investigation is way further along in the process. We can say, ‘Yeah, there is enough to go straight to the grand jury.’”

Snip

SCDNR came under scrutiny after it was revealed no sobriety tests were given to any boaters, who all were underage. The five remaining boaters appeared to be “grossly intoxicated, a Port Royal Police report states.

Because of miscommunication from 911 dispatchers, fire and EMS officials response time was delayed and they first arrived on the scene 28 minutes after the 911 call came in.

Read more here: https://www.newsobserver.com/article229546884.html#storylink=cpy

“It was Richard Alex who reportedly found the body's of his wife and son around 10pm Monday night. Sources said he told cops he had been out shooting and returned to the grim scene.”

yeah that does seem odd. Do we know what time of day the wife & son were killed / how long before being found? Shooting in the dark seems really risky … maybe there was a terrible accident on their hunting property

yeah that does seem odd. Do we know what time of day the wife & son were killed / how long before being found? Shooting in the dark seems really risky … maybe there was a terrible accident on their hunting property

Just bouncing around ideas here...

Regarding hunting time, is hunting with buddies similar to golfing with buddies, where you finish and then go out for a bite and a few cold ones? What is the optimal time of day to hunt quail? (I see lots of references to quail hunting in that area.)

Regarding a possible hunting accident, I find that unlikely since two separate weapons were used on two different victims.

He was out shooting at night and came home to find his wife and son had been shot…with 2 different guns.
Were Guns/shooting a big part of their lives? Seems like an odd coincidence to me but I’m not into guns.

'

Very new information!! Now don't know what to believe...

"It was Richard Alex who reportedly found the body's of his wife and son around 10pm Monday night. Sources said he told cops he had been out shooting and returned to the grim scene."

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Night shooting? I can’t imagine what Alex Sr. was shooting at 10pm. Certainly not birds or deer. Maybe feral hogs? I am not a hunter but know many who are in this part of the country. AFAIK, solo night shooting is just not something one would expect a lawyer/gentleman farmer to do. I had not been suspicious of him, but this part of the story doesn’t ring true to me.

Perhaps the number of times and location he was shot, in contrast to his Mom?
Yes. Article says this about weapons: "[Paul] was shot in the head and upper body with a shotgun, while Margaret was shot with an assault rifle, they said. " Possible there was one killer who used two weapons. Did the person use all the shotgun ammo on Paul and then use the assault rifle?

Night shooting? I can’t imagine what Alex Sr. was shooting at 10pm. Certainly not birds or deer. Maybe feral hogs? I am not a hunter but know many who are in this part of the country. AFAIK, solo night shooting is just not something one would expect a lawyer/gentleman farmer to do. I had not been suspicious of him, but this part of the story doesn’t ring true to me.

I'm not sure I saw it mentioned that it was solo hunting. Do you have a link for that? My memory is pathetic!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoRo