Deceased/Not Found HI - Samuel Martinez, 23, from Nebraska, missed flight home, Kauai, 12 May 2021

25 years ago i would go alone to kauai many times alone. I would hike places only helos would go. I was in my 20's and had this idea all locals were kind caring people. I trusted them all. Found out different later on in life during my travels there.
I was giving two locals rides back from a beach family picnick. Almost got out of the parking lot, saw a homeless guy i knew on a blanket in front of my car in grass. I stopped to say hi. The guy in back got mad. I got mad and barely got him out of my car. His buddy in front passenger seat local also said very calmly, you know he was going to bring you to the ranch and you would have never been found. Close call for me being a nice trusting person. I had a local attack the side of my car at night parked in a lot at night next to a beach.
I came close to being washed off a lava beach jutting out over ocean. Looking at sea turtles in crashing waves on a rocky lava beach. 1 second after walking back away from edge a very large wave broke over lava beach and it would have knocked me in. I would have drown.
No one around
I use to talk alot to guys that were not local that slept on beaches every night. They all told me that its very dangerous. There are locals that prey on them, beat them up and or steal whater they have. This is very common and is a risk every night on beach.
There are gang members on this island also. Some have branding burnt into there arm.
Most locals hate visitors. I never knew this when i was young. It is not really safe to stay there alone camping, getting picked up by anyone hitchhiking. The islands travel depts keep it quiet because they dont want it to stop tourism due to the money it brings in.
If you are attacked or victimized by local they know how to make sure your never found.
Was he naive about the crime that occurs there and alot are not friendly and see tourist that are alone as easy targets for crime?
Many locals ARE very kind and caring. Dont get me wrong.
I also jumped boulder to boulder all the way up the waterway in the wettest spot on earth for 5 hours each way. Mountains on each side of me with tops in the clouds all the way. Waterfalls extending all the way down. By myself. The jungle was so thick you couldnt walk through it. Only on boulders up the stream. Stupid of me. Broken ankle and i would have never gotton out and never found. Only life i saw whole time was helos with tourist flying over.
Many ways to be injured, killed or murdered there being solo and naive with a flower child mentality.
I think he ran into trouble if by accident or victimized.

Can confirm that living on the islands can be very dangerous if you're an outsider. I lived there for work for 6 months and definitely had some unsettling experiences

25 years ago i would go alone to kauai many times alone. I would hike places only helos would go. I was in my 20's and had this idea all locals were kind caring people. I trusted them all. Found out different later on in life during my travels there.
I was giving two locals rides back from a beach family picnick. Almost got out of the parking lot, saw a homeless guy i knew on a blanket in front of my car in grass. I stopped to say hi. The guy in back got mad. I got mad and barely got him out of my car. His buddy in front passenger seat local also said very calmly, you know he was going to bring you to the ranch and you would have never been found. Close call for me being a nice trusting person. I had a local attack the side of my car at night parked in a lot at night next to a beach.
I came close to being washed off a lava beach jutting out over ocean. Looking at sea turtles in crashing waves on a rocky lava beach. 1 second after walking back away from edge a very large wave broke over lava beach and it would have knocked me in. I would have drown.
No one around
I use to talk alot to guys that were not local that slept on beaches every night. They all told me that its very dangerous. There are locals that prey on them, beat them up and or steal whater they have. This is very common and is a risk every night on beach.
There are gang members on this island also. Some have branding burnt into there arm.
Most locals hate visitors. I never knew this when i was young. It is not really safe to stay there alone camping, getting picked up by anyone hitchhiking. The islands travel depts keep it quiet because they dont want it to stop tourism due to the money it brings in.
If you are attacked or victimized by local they know how to make sure your never found.
Was he naive about the crime that occurs there and alot are not friendly and see tourist that are alone as easy targets for crime?
Many locals ARE very kind and caring. Dont get me wrong.
I also jumped boulder to boulder all the way up the waterway in the wettest spot on earth for 5 hours each way. Mountains on each side of me with tops in the clouds all the way. Waterfalls extending all the way down. By myself. The jungle was so thick you couldnt walk through it. Only on boulders up the stream. Stupid of me. Broken ankle and i would have never gotton out and never found. Only life i saw whole time was helos with tourist flying over.
Many ways to be injured, killed or murdered there being solo and naive with a flower child mentality.
I think he ran into trouble if by accident or victimized.

Can confirm that living on the islands can be very dangerous if you're not a local. I was thinking this as well based on living there for work for 6 months. I had some pretty unsettling experiences

Last edited:
Can confirm that living on the islands can be very dangerous if you're an outsider. I lived there for work for 6 months and definitely had some unsettling experiences
So some locals hate tourists/hikers (who are Americans too, like them, in Sam's case) enough to potentially harm them? Just for being there? Sad. JMO

In a short version attempt not to derail the thread, an effort to explain the angst of Islanders, we need to go back to the time when Monsanto purchased generationally owned plantations. The deals were too good for land owners to turn down.

Kauai has temporarily closed certain schools in the past due to chemical drift.

Two decades ago, I joined the Free Kauai group in an effort to keep GMO and chemical corps away. Not an easy feat to accomplish.

Synergy developed GMO seeds on the island. You may know a famous person who promotes this activity because they own seed vaults.

A video in this link describes Kauai's impact on the world's gmo corn industry.

Paradise found: A history of pineapple, sugar and seeds in Hawaii

So some locals hate tourists/hikers (who are Americans too, like them, in Sam's case) enough to potentially harm them? Just for being there? Sad. JMO
Unfortunately yes but at the same time there's a lot that causes it. How the government took over the land, how tourists act, how they treat locals etc. Not all locals are like that but the ones are, are very vocal about it. It's like any other place that has its problems with locals hating tourists

Unfortunately yes but at the same time there's a lot that causes it. How the government took over the land, how tourists act, how they treat locals etc. Not all locals are like that but the ones are, are very vocal about it. It's like any other place that has its problems with locals hating tourists
I understand. I have a beach house at the Jersey Shore and I know people who live there year round who complain about tourists...even have derogatory nicknames for them. It's a mixed scenario, as these are the people who come down and spend money and support the areas.. It's a matter of protecting space, taking care of their home towns, not causing trouble, etc.

I understand. I have a beach house at the Jersey Shore and I know people who live there year round who complain about tourists...even have derogatory nicknames for them. It's a mixed scenario, as these are the people who come down and spend money and support the areas.. It's a matter of protecting space, taking care of their home towns, not causing trouble, etc.
Yeah it's definitely a mixed thing. I think for most locals, just act like a normal human being and be respectful, especially in the islands. Unfortunately, to some, it won't matter how respectful you are because of the history there.

While foul play is certainly a possibility. I'm leaning towards misadventure here.

The itinerary Samuel had for his hiking trip seems overconfident for someone not familiar with the area he would be hiking, especially being from another state. Nebraska environment vs. Hawaii environment couldn't be more different. IIRC, his family or friends didn't describe him as an experienced hiker, which is always subjective anyway.

I get nervous when people buy a gear/equipment and use it for the first time on any backpacking trips. That's a heck of a way to figure it out, away from any help. I'm not sure if that's what happened in this case, but I can see it happening and it's common for people who set out on adventures like this.

His family/friends probably don't know exactly what he had with him. A backpack and tent is just a small part of it.

What's the probability of survival for Samuel at this point? If he's injured & lost, he could still be out there alive at 3 weeks-ish. Slips/falls where someone suffers a traumatic head injury is also a concern. In this case, it's a body recovery regardless.

He DID give a detailed itinerary which is so important. He was very responsible in this regard.

Hoping for the best for this kid.

IMO

In the past 5 days alone:
Oahu: Woman airlifted from Kalihi Valley after seeing large animal on Kamanaiki Trail;
HFD airlifts injured hiker off North Shore Trail;
Hiker airlifted from Waianae trail after vomiting several times;
Woman rescued and hospitalized after jumping about 50 ft from Maunawili Falls;
HFD rescues lost hikers on Waimano Falls trail

Maui: 40 yr old mother rescued by air after attempting to save son who was swept off rocks (bystander jumped in also, got her son out of water but the mother drifted away)

These were rescues where there were other people in the groups and/or cell phone service was available. Samuel was alone. I hope he's found, one way or another, for closure for his family.

Not sure if this has already been posted, but it's the most recent update I could find for now.

https://www.3newsnow.com/news/local...awaii-for-missing-unl-student-samuel-martinez

LIHUE, HI (KMTV) - The search for a missing UNL student is continuing in Hawaii.

Samuel Martinez flew to Kauai on May 12 with the intention of hiking and camping while on the island. He was expected to return to Nebraska on May 25 but missed his outbound flight.

There hasn't been a positive sighting of the 23-year-old since May 14.

Family members tell 3 News Now that there hasn't been any bank or iPhone activity.

The Kauai Police Department is still following up on all leads. Fire crews have had a repelling team working for several days now and plan to follow up on an area with potential signs of disturbance.

Not sure if this has already been posted, but it's the most recent update I could find for now.

https://www.3newsnow.com/news/local...awaii-for-missing-unl-student-samuel-martinez

LIHUE, HI (KMTV) - The search for a missing UNL student is continuing in Hawaii.

Samuel Martinez flew to Kauai on May 12 with the intention of hiking and camping while on the island. He was expected to return to Nebraska on May 25 but missed his outbound flight.

Family members tell 3 News Now that there hasn't been any bank or iPhone activity.

The Kauai Police Department is still following up on all leads. Fire crews have had a repelling team working for several days now and plan to follow up on an area with potential signs of disturbance.

No bank activity.
Wonder if helicopter pilots spotted the "area of potential signs of disturbance."

Also, from the same link:

"Helicopter searches have been suspended but 3 News Now is told upcoming efforts include a dog search team, a drone search team, and experienced hikers being sent on specific routes."

This case really concerns me. I've learned so much reading this thread like how important it is to understand that something is wrong when you don't hear from your loved one as planned, especially a responsible college student. We always want to give our kids respect as they come to their own in adulthood, not overreact, honor their boundaries and independence.
I've tried to discourage my college age kids from taking trips to unknown and far away places and it was an exercise in futility. They think they know so much and can handle anything that happens.
SM was probably so excited for this adventure and it makes me sad to think he was alone and possibly not prepared physically or mentally for what he encountered. I'm not a hiker but hiking alone just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
His poor parents must be absolutely devastated. Heartbreaking. Praying for a miracle.
MOO

Well said.

This case really concerns me. I've learned so much reading this thread like how important it is to understand that something is wrong when you don't hear from your loved one as planned, especially a responsible college student. We always want to give our kids respect as they come to their own in adulthood, not overreact, honor their boundaries and independence.
I've tried to discourage my college age kids from taking trips to unknown and far away places and it was an exercise in futility. They think they know so much and can handle anything that happens.
SM was probably so excited for this adventure and it makes me sad to think he was alone and possibly not prepared physically or mentally for what he encountered. I'm not a hiker but hiking alone just doesn't sound like a good idea to me.
His poor parents must be absolutely devastated. Heartbreaking. Praying for a miracle.
MOO

I got goosebumps reading your thoughtful, respectful comment. I was thinking about deleting my account because I've been spending too much time on researching this case and am needed elsewhere (where I've neglected because I felt so strongly about this case and thought I could be of help). I came here one last time and saw this.

***Potential signs of disturbance? Like old camp cleared, brushed smashed on way down hill? Had slept in tall grass smashing it down. Any ideas from anyone on what that would be that the article talks about?

***Potential signs of disturbance? Like old camp cleared, brushed smashed on way down hill? Had slept in tall grass smashing it down. Any ideas from anyone on what that would be that the article talks about?
It seems from the article to be linked to the repelling team, so I'd guess either an area at the top of a drop-off or perhaps on the way down. Sad to even think this but repelling team does indicate potential fall from a ledge, trail or overlook.

While foul play is certainly a possibility. I'm leaning towards misadventure here.

The itinerary Samuel had for his hiking trip seems overconfident for someone not familiar with the area he would be hiking, especially being from another state. Nebraska environment vs. Hawaii environment couldn't be more different. IIRC, his family or friends didn't describe him as an experienced hiker, which is always subjective anyway.

I get nervous when people buy a gear/equipment and use it for the first time on any backpacking trips. That's a heck of a way to figure it out, away from any help. I'm not sure if that's what happened in this case, but I can see it happening and it's common for people who set out on adventures like this.

His family/friends probably don't know exactly what he had with him. A backpack and tent is just a small part of it.

What's the probability of survival for Samuel at this point? If he's injured & lost, he could still be out there alive at 3 weeks-ish. Slips/falls where someone suffers a traumatic head injury is also a concern. In this case, it's a body recovery regardless.

He DID give a detailed itinerary which is so important. He was very responsible in this regard.

Hoping for the best for this kid.

IMO

I agree this screams misadventure. I so badly want to know how well he planned out his trip, if he had tried out his gear, what he bought at the grocery store, if he knew he would or would not have reception in certain areas, how "novice" was he, had he ever hiked solo before, did he map out trails he planned to be on certain days or just sites?

BBM- I'm so glad you mentioned this, because it is something I stress to anyone who is trying to get into hiking/camping. Even though it may not have been the direct cause of what happened, novice hiker + new gear could add to a lot of additional stress (and even unnecessary weight) which can really affect your overall thinking/attitude. Even small issues can snowball quickly.

I'm thinking chances of survival are pretty slim at this point. He's been missing over a month as far as we know. If he was lost, I would have thought he would have seen/heard helicopters and tried to find a way to signal to them in some fashion unless he's injured and completely immobile. Admittedly, my optimism hasn't been great from the moment his thread popped up.

I agree this screams misadventure. I so badly want to know how well he planned out his trip, if he had tried out his gear, what he bought at the grocery store, if he knew he would or would not have reception in certain areas, how "novice" was he, had he ever hiked solo before, did he map out trails he planned to be on certain days or just sites?

BBM- I'm so glad you mentioned this, because it is something I stress to anyone who is trying to get into hiking/camping. Even though it may not have been the direct cause of what happened, novice hiker + new gear could add to a lot of additional stress (and even unnecessary weight) which can really affect your overall thinking/attitude. Even small issues can snowball quickly.

I'm thinking chances of survival are pretty slim at this point. He's been missing over a month as far as we know. If he was lost, I would have thought he would have seen/heard helicopters and tried to find a way to signal to them in some fashion unless he's injured and completely immobile. Admittedly, my optimism hasn't been great from the moment his thread popped up.
I agree - low optimism level for me too. Remember, he was probably missing for over a week before it was even reported. Searching was off to a late start from the beginning. So sad for the family, and for Samuel. :(

KPD: Search for hiker suspended pending new information | The Garden Island

[...]

“KPD has continued to do targeted searches in Koke‘e within areas where it was believed he may have hiked. However, nothing has been found,” a KPD spokesperson said Monday.

Today marks 33 days without contact, and 17 days of searching for Samuel Martinez of Lincoln, Nebraska.

[...]

While KPD retained overall incident command, the Kaua‘i Fire Department provided tactical support, using drone, helicopters and ground operations to different degrees through June 10.

Volunteer search-and-rescue operations have also covered certain areas, and included the Search Tech Advisory Team of Maui, Kaua‘i Search and Rescue and O‘ahu Search and Rescue, as well as local hikers and hunters.

There has been no positive sighting of Martinez since May 14, his father Ted Martinez said in a text earlier this week.

[...]

Anyone with information about Martinez’s whereabouts on Kaua‘i is urged to call KPD dispatch at 241-1711. Those who wish to remain anonymous can report a tip to Crime Stoppers Kaua‘i at 246-8300 or cskauai.org.

Unless Samuel found a way to capture enough drinking water from rain, or was near a runoff with a constant flow of water, he has well exceeded the number of survivable days without water. Same for food. Look at the number of remains of missing hikers that have been found along the Appalachian trail over the years.

Geraldine Largay was only two miles off the trail. Eddie Noonkester got disoriented and lost. Michael Kaiser, an expert hiker was found at the bottom of a 30 foot embankment. The reasons are varied. Getting lost as well as slip and fall are in the top 5.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back