Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #62 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watch the segment. It appears that BM is describing something he saw, not a second-hand account.

MOO.
I wonder if anyone from LE was watching Barry in those early days. He was all over, describing what happened to strangers, emerging from the woods soaking wet, digging through the trash at Poncha Market, sprawling out on the ground during a search. Did GD take him to the spot and describe what he saw? Did LE ask GD about that? Did anyone keep an eye on Barry?

Sheila von Wiese-Mack was stuffed in a suitcase. A small boned person can be moved around in many different types of containers, that's for sure.

IMO it is a cooler. I agree she has been relocated. I believe the river//jobsite will come into play, the bobcat and the tools at the HIE.

I feel like Scarlet did it in the library with the candlestick...

Remember those notes we saw ... with words to the effect of "I remember when you carried me with such love and care when I was so sick?" "I am so thankful for you"?

To me, those notes could be a 'nice' plea from Suzanne, can't they please return to the relationship they once had, what appeared to her to be a loving, caring and nurturing relationship. And to please not be insecure, it was BM that she wanted to have a happy relationship with.

Suzanne may have been trying to change a horrible direction their relationship had taken ... by using compliments instead of confrontation. By reinforcing the 'good' behaviour.
Very good insight! I hope her daughters choose men who are different from their father, but I'm afraid what is familiar is, too often, what one is attracted to. A gilded cage is still a cage.

Thank you SO much for going into this with thoroughness. My takeaway is that even without a Miranda warning, if Barry talked to LE, it's admissible (but could be challenged on appeal).

Does it make a difference if what Barry said was not a confession? I mean, what if he just stated a bunch of things that can be shown to be untrue? ("never had a cooler," then cooler is plainly seen on some CCTV or something).

If Barry did outright incriminate himself in some way, during his interrogation, might the Court disallow that?
JMHO (non-expert), but if BM made statements against his interest while not in custody, to LE or others, there is no Constitutional issue. They don't need to be full confessions IMO.

I keep going back to motive and the text Suzanne sent to her sister. Do you think it’s possible she may have stumbled upon internet behaviour of BM rather than it necessarily being something he’d done in real life?

Very good insight! I hope her daughters choose men who are different from their father, but I'm afraid what is familiar is, too often, what one is attracted to. A gilded cage is still a cage.

I was thinking of those cards/letters and one looked to be torn. As if we were gifted a view of what BM wanted us to see. I also wondered if he had been looking at them trying to do his best imitation of her signature. Then it occurred to him, that sharing those with Lauren and the public would prove what a great husband he was.

MOO

So here is something I ponder. Much of what has produced suspicion among us is the incredibility of BM's alibi story. What if he decides not to offer it as a defense? We'll know soon if he chooses to do so: Section 16-7-102, CRS requires him to serve formal notice on the prosecutor that he intends to rely on this defense to the charge. His defense team's assessment of the strength of he case against him may be judged by the decision to file this notice, or not.

Here's another question that troubles me. I understand that if BM does not put his good character in issue, the prosecution can't offer evidence to contradict him. What if he simply remains silent on that point?

Here's another question that troubles me. I understand that if BM does not put his good character in issue, the prosecution can't offer evidence to contradict him. What if he simply remains silent on that point?

I don't know why 'good character' would even come into, until the sentencing hearing.

There are many people of 'good character' sitting in prison for preying on young children.

Their 'good character' sure didn't stop them from committing some horrible crimes.

Last edited:
I keep going back to motive and the text Suzanne sent to her sister. Do you think it’s possible she may have stumbled upon internet behaviour of BM rather than it necessarily being something he’d done in real life?

IMO MOO

Yes, yes I do. The one subject that doesn’t seem to be discussed enough in this case so far IMO (and I don’t know why), when it is always present as the one common underlying trait for murderers, as long as I can recall in the majority of cases I have followed, is their sexual appetite, preferences and fantasies being part of a reason behind their horrendous acts.

IMO MOO - BM may have been into who knows what and SM eventually discovered it on their home computer. Found a site, maybe something so graphic on the dark web that she was repulsed by. Maybe over time they tried to work it out but could not come to terms with it or a compromise. The subject matter may have not aligned with SM’s religious views. This very topic could have lead to many arguments.

I’m sure it is not unheard of for relationships to have ended in divorce because their sexual views and niches did not align or where not in agreeance with one another.

For someone with a huge ego, or guarding a certain image like a Barry personality type, I can see the embarrassment of him being exposed over a sexual deviance resulting in dire consequences.

LE knows what that internet behavior is and it is likely in the AA.

The AA cannot come fast enough, also anxiously awaiting the AA on Shawn Adkins arrested today for the murder of Hailey Dunn.
Finally! 11 years later, hopefully our locals can finally get some resolution. Suzanne yours is coming soon also. Your family deserves to know what happened to you.

Def's Alibi Notice?
... Section 16-7-102, CRS requires him to serve formal notice on the prosecutor that he intends to rely on this defense to the charge....
@CGray123 sbm bbm Excellent catch. Iirc, the Complaint/Information specified homicide occurred on or about May 9 to 10, so what evidence has prosecutor produced to def team re -
- more specific time of homicide and
- more specific place of offense.

So, what's his alibi, if any? I was ;)held captive, locked in a flying saucer in Poncha Springs from 12:01 a.m. May 9 until 11:59 p.m. May 10 by Mork from Ork and little green men,:rolleyes: then released?
Nope, LE has evd supporting multiple BM sitings, in-person convo's, and surv cam vids over the wk-end.
If def wants to use any alibi, can they develop a better alibi notice than ^ that? And serve notice on prosecutor 35 days pre-trial? IDK.
"If the defendant intends to introduce evidence that the defendant was at a place other than the location of the offense, the defendant shall serve upon the prosecuting attorney as soon as practicable, but not later than thirty-five days before trial, a statement in writing specifying the place where the defendant claims to have been and the names and addresses of the witnesses the defendant will call to support the defense of alibi..." bbm sbm
^ Section 16-7-102, CRS
§ 16-7-102. Required notice of defense of alibi

Last edited:
And...
Who organized the camping trip?
Why were you running late on Mother's Day?
Why weren't any of you planning to be home on Mother's Day?
When was your last conversation either by phone or in person with your mom?
Why did you have the neighbor call the police?
Had you ever witnessed your mom and dad arguing?
On and on.
I think the AA will be a shock and hard for them but I agree testifying will be an emotional train wreck.
Having the neighbor call the police is very suspicious. I suspect it was very suspicious to the police as well.

So here is something I ponder. Much of what has produced suspicion among us is the incredibility of BM's alibi story. What if he decides not to offer it as a defense? We'll know soon if he chooses to do so: Section 16-7-102, CRS requires him to serve formal notice on the prosecutor that he intends to rely on this defense to the charge. His defense team's assessment of the strength of he case against him may be judged by the decision to file this notice, or not.
Maybe I am wrong, but even if the defense doesn't put forward that alibi in this trial, I believe the state can still tell the jury, what the defendant said when the detectives asked him for his alibi.

And the state can still bring forward that crazy work trip, etc, even if the defense tries to abandon that as his current alibi

bbm
Indeed, and more than a rabid animal.
An unspeakable monster who is being charged with murder in the first with deliberation.
This is telling as it sounds like Barry had time to back away and think about what he was doing.
It's going to be interesting to read the AA, for sleuthers and those who are seeking justice for Suzanne.

There's no way to sugarcoat a murderer and try to find compassion for them, no matter what their 'reasoning' and past upbringing were.
However it's possible the defense will try to portray Barry as a godly and church-going man who always put his family first.
When the reality is his entire household must have quaked under his abusive control.
Iykwim ?
Imo.
Barry can help the defense with godly image thing....Who stages a photo of themselves reading a bible in their jammies with two children sitting around in chairs as props?

IMO it is a cooler. I agree she has been relocated. I believe the river//jobsite will come into play, the bobcat and the tools at the HIE.

I feel like Scarlet did it in the library with the candlestick...

Looking at the google earth view of the jobsite, I don't see anything on that lot other than the foundation that would make a good place to bury a cooler. If I recall correctly, LE did use GPR to check the area for buried remains. I don't like the "beach" either as the risk is too high that flood erosion could uncover the remains.

Maybe I am wrong, but even if the defense doesn't put forward that alibi in this trial, I believe the state can still tell the jury, what the defendant said when the detectives asked him for his alibi.

And the state can still bring forward that crazy work trip, etc, even if the defense tries to abandon that as his current alibi
that crazy work trip has so many legs that move. The general contractor who hired him is one. That job was supposed to start on Monday, and even that wasn't an emergency. The GC would have been questioned about why that job started on Sunday, against code. My guess is he would be entirely contradictory to BM. BM calls the female employee at what 430am to get her rounded up for the job? Is that the first time that has happened? And of course....we all want to know when that motel room was booked. Why one room? Did Barry expect the male and female employees to share the same room? Who does that? My hunch is that Barry booked the room first...to initiate the alibi...then filled in the blanks with details that make little sense to anyone, LE or casual observer alike....such as no tools for the project at hand. I am curious about something else.....if BM received a phone call from his daughter that they couldn't reach their mom....how long was it after that phone call before BM called the neighbor? Was it immediate? Or did a bit of time lapse? Did BM himself immediately try to call SM, which would be instinctive IMO? IOW....BM's reaction and immediate response to the daughter's call to him about Mom being missing is crucial.

Barry can help the defense with godly image thing....Who stages a photo of themselves reading a bible in their jammies with two children sitting around in chairs as props?

Maybe, but I really think the defense might want to avoid that type of thing ..... BBM

Character evidence is admissible in a criminal trial if offered by a defendant as circumstantial evidence—through reputation or opinion evidence—to show their own character, as long as the character evidence the defendant seeks to introduce is relevant to the crime with which the defendant is charged.

For example, if a defendant is charged with a crime involving dishonesty, defendant may introduce evidence tending to show defendant's honest character. If defendant is charged with a violent crime, defendant may introduce evidence tending to show defendant's peaceful character.
Character evidence - Wikipedia

There is too much rebuttal that will happen should the defense try to introduce this type of thing.
"Barry is always honest, he would never lie to the police or anyone" .... that is why he submitted a forged vote for his missing wife in the federal election.
"Barry is always peaceful and sitting around reading a bible, so he couldn't have murdered his wife" ... that is why he got into a violent confrontation with that other worker.

I'm not sure that the defense will want to open the door to things like that.

Last edited:
How soon after filming was the video Tyson took of Barry released? and does anybody know if a copy was sent to LE before it was released so they could check it for inconsistency's? In cases like this i think it would be best practice to hand over such footage to LE before releasing it to the public and giving the defendant a chance to see it.

I wonder if anyone from LE was watching Barry in those early days. He was all over, describing what happened to strangers, emerging from the woods soaking wet, digging through the trash at Poncha Market, sprawling out on the ground during a search. Did GD take him to the spot and describe what he saw? Did LE ask GD about that? Did anyone keep an eye on Barry?
I firmly believe he was suspect #1 to LE from the very beginning, and I would hope that LE had him under the microscope the entire time.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member