Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #62 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I firmly believe he was suspect #1 to LE from the very beginning, and I would hope that LE had him under the microscope the entire time.

MOO
From the moment Suzanne was reported missing to LE....Wouldn't LE expect to hear from the spouse about his missing wife fairly promptly? Yet....they seemed to be communicating with others on his behalf, even though he apparently had a cell phone. He can talk to his daughters immediately, but not the police? There should be no gap in a spouse contacting LE after learning of their spouse's disappearance. In other words....when Barry first learned of SM's disappearance...what sequence of events followed with respect to him talking to LE? Did he find them or did they find him?

From the moment Suzanne was reported missing to LE....Wouldn't LE expect to hear from the spouse about his missing wife fairly promptly? Yet....they seemed to be communicating with others on his behalf, even though he apparently had a cell phone. He can talk to his daughters immediately, but not the police? There should be no gap in a spouse contacting LE after learning of their spouse's disappearance. In other words....when Barry first learned of SM's disappearance...what sequence of events followed with respect to him talking to LE? Did he find them or did they find him?
I think initially BM was somewhat cooperative with LE, until they started asking the really hard questions or until BM figured out they weren't buying his BS.

JMO

I suspect that by that time....that the neighbor realized she was not gone in her car and that her bike was gone but she was not home and the 911 call was made...that is the point Barry left Broomfield and headed home. To arrive at 9 as he has said he would have left Broomfield at around 6 PM as it it close to a 3 hour drive if not road construction or heavy traffic outside Denver. I personally think that the his first contact with anyone related to law enforcement or SAR was when he arrived at site by his home. It has never been clear to me "who all" was now at the site of the bike at 9 PM. It all sorta made sense to me - I imagine the girls called him, the neighbor was called, 911 was called and Barry headed home. I don't know if it has every been published how far away the girls were or when they got to Maysville. And it has never been said if there were additional calls between Barry, the girls and the neighbor after the 911 call. And it has never been made public if LE called Barry after he left Denver and before he arrived. It's never been made public if any of his firefighting team called him during the drive from Denver to Broomfield or vice versa. It's all an entirely possible sequence that never felt strange to me.

I firmly believe he was suspect #1 to LE from the very beginning, and I would hope that LE had him under the microscope the entire time.

MOO
Barry is the last person to have "reported" seeing SM alive and talking to her. I think the evidence will support that as factual....just not in the scenario and context that Barry described.

Maybe, but I really think the defense might want to avoid that type of thing ..... BBM

Character evidence is admissible in a criminal trial if offered by a defendant as circumstantial evidence—through reputation or opinion evidence—to show their own character, as long as the character evidence the defendant seeks to introduce is relevant to the crime with which the defendant is charged.

For example, if a defendant is charged with a crime involving dishonesty, defendant may introduce evidence tending to show defendant's honest character. If defendant is charged with a violent crime, defendant may introduce evidence tending to show defendant's peaceful character.
Character evidence - Wikipedia

There is too much rebuttal that will happen should the defense try to introduce this type of thing.
"Barry is always honest, he would never lie to the police or anyone" .... that is why he submitted a forged vote for his missing wife in the federal election.
"Barry is always peaceful and sitting around reading a bible, so he couldn't have murdered his wife" ... that is why he got into a violent confrontation with that other worker.

I'm not sure that the defense will want to open the door to things like that.
Barry will be under lock and key in the trial.....he will never testify. And the defense will try to shred every fact witness. Its all about creating doubt. They only have to convince one juror to doubt the facts. When Barry's daughters are called to the stand...and as fact witnesses they will be...wouldn't that be fairly early on to coincide with the timeline of events? And will the state make some sort of concession to only have them on the stand one time? I don't think the defense will spend alot of time trying to forge a false impression of Barry's character. They will save that for witnesses such as the "meth head" and the "jail bird". The defense will be conducting wholesale challenges to the admissability of evidence...to downsize the circumstantial arrow pointing in Barry's direction.

Last edited:
Has any direct social or alumni link been established between the defense attorney and the judge? If there is, I would think the prosecution would be asking the judge to recuse himself due to conflict of interest. In PA, if the judge refuses to recuse him/her self, the president judge would determine if there is conflict and reassign to a different judge. I'm not sure how CO handles this.
BBM for focus. Great thought. MOO It would be wonderful if there was someone in the Colorado area who could research this. Someone who is familiar with local publications, newspaper/magazine articles where photos might be published of social or alumni gatherings. MOO

In the phone interview BM did with LS released in September BM tells how the neighbor called HIM because the girls had contacted HER.

Search for Suzanne Morphew pushes on despite silence from Chaffee County Sheriff | FOX21 News Colorado

In an exclusive interview with FOX21’s Lauren Scharf, Barry Morphew described answering the phone, on Mother’s Day Weekend, to a neighbor’s call.

“She said, ‘Barry, Suzanne is not at the house. Her car is here, but her bike is missing.’ And I said, ‘that doesn’t sound good because she’s not answering me either. I’m coming home right now,” He said. “That was at 5 p.m. Sunday evening.”

Barry told FOX21 that at the time he was about 160 miles away from the Morphew family home, which is in Maysville. He says he was working at a job in Broomfield. The neighbor had been alerted by one of the Morphews’ daughters, who’d been trying to text Suzanne to wish her a Happy Mother’s Day.

“Suzanne went on a bike ride every day, Lauren. She was an avid biker. If she did not bike around the subdivision, she biked on trails. I don’t remember how the conversation went, but I probably said something like, ‘is her bike there?’ Because her car was there and she’s gone,” Barry said.

That same night, according to a Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office press release on May 11, the county’s communication center received a report of a missing woman at 5:46 p.m. on May 10.

Barry said at that point, he was already on his way back to Salida.

In the phone interview BM did with LS released in September BM tells how the neighbor called HIM because the girls had contacted HER.

Search for Suzanne Morphew pushes on despite silence from Chaffee County Sheriff | FOX21 News Colorado

In an exclusive interview with FOX21’s Lauren Scharf, Barry Morphew described answering the phone, on Mother’s Day Weekend, to a neighbor’s call.

“She said, ‘Barry, Suzanne is not at the house. Her car is here, but her bike is missing.’ And I said, ‘that doesn’t sound good because she’s not answering me either. I’m coming home right now,” He said. “That was at 5 p.m. Sunday evening.”

Barry told FOX21 that at the time he was about 160 miles away from the Morphew family home, which is in Maysville. He says he was working at a job in Broomfield. The neighbor had been alerted by one of the Morphews’ daughters, who’d been trying to text Suzanne to wish her a Happy Mother’s Day.

“Suzanne went on a bike ride every day, Lauren. She was an avid biker. If she did not bike around the subdivision, she biked on trails. I don’t remember how the conversation went, but I probably said something like, ‘is her bike there?’ Because her car was there and she’s gone,” Barry said.

That same night, according to a Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office press release on May 11, the county’s communication center received a report of a missing woman at 5:46 p.m. on May 10.

"That doesn't sound good because "she's not answering me either""......So that means Barry was trying to call her prior to getting the call from the neighbor. Cell records will be able to identify that activity. Did Barry leave message on her VM? How many times did he try to call her without response? You would think the neighbor would have been hearing from Barry since he was trying to reach her but couldn't?

So by Barry's own admission, if I am reading this sequence correctly, it is implied that Barry did not speak to SM on Mother's Day since 5am? Not one call after she would have woken up to say "Good Morning...just wanted you to know I made it to Denver okay"..."How is your day going"? "Have you heard from the girls"? We've heard so much about this "loving" and "controlling" husband. Neither of those descriptions are consistent with no phone communication for the entire day, nor reaction to an inability to connect, which happened to be Mother's Day.

Last edited:

So the daughters called the neighbor, but didn't in turn call Dad? This is strange....The neighbor talks to both the daughters and BM...so at what point are daughters talking to Dad or vice versa? And BTW, thank you for that dialogue from BM. Very interesting.

So by Barry's own admission, if I am reading this sequence correctly, it is implied that Barry did not speak to SM on Mother's Day since 5am? Not one call after she would have woken up to say "Good Morning...just wanted you to know I made it to Denver okay"..."How is your day going"? "Have you heard from the girls"? We've heard so much about this "loving" and "controlling" husband. Neither of those descriptions are consistent with no phone communication for the entire day, which happened to be Mother's Day.

I agree that it is not consistent with a "controlling" husband narrative but believable that there was no phone call. My husband wouldn't have called me if he thought our adult children would be around since it was "mother's day" not "spouses' day"....but he is the antithesis of "controlling". But the narrative is not consistent with past behavior if the anecdotal reports are accurate about him keeping tabs on her every move and I'm not entirely sure about that whole speculation. Personally, I think it's all something much simpler.

I just noticed something. LS has been very precise in her reporting, even has corrected statements. BM has basically contradicted himself in this one report by LS.
She (neighbor) said, ‘Barry, Suzanne is not at the house. Her car is here, but her bike is missing.’ And I said, ‘that doesn’t sound good...”

Later in same phone call BM says “but I probably said something like, ‘is her bike there?’ Because her car was there and she’s gone,”

The small difference is BM later says he asked the neighbor to go back to the home & see if SM’s bike was gone. BM was the one to draw attention and setup the bike ride scenario.
Can you imagine how screwed up BM’s statements to LE have been over the last 12 months when answering their questions? His lies will sink him! MOO

Last edited:
I agree that it is not consistent with a "controlling" husband narrative but believable that there was no phone call. My husband wouldn't have called me if he thought our adult children would be around since it was "mother's day" not "spouses' day"....but he is the antithesis of "controlling". But the narrative is not consistent with past behavior if the anecdotal reports are accurate about him keeping tabs on her every move and I'm not entirely sure about that whole speculation. Personally, I think it's all something much simpler.
Thank y0u...and this is an area of speculation. However, Barry said SM wasn't answering his calls either. How many? When? Up to and including the call he got from the neighbor? He didn't seem to be terribly bothered by Suzanne not answering until the neighbor called him?

So the daughters called the neighbor, but didn't in turn call Dad? This is strange....The neighbor talks to both the daughters and BM...so at what point are daughters talking to Dad or vice versa? And BTW, thank you for that dialogue from BM. Very interesting.
Here’s a short video report by LS where you can here Barry’s voice

A

According to an interview with Tyson, he waited to release the video and contacted detectives and/or the tip line to let them know of his encounter with Barry. He hadn’t heard back from detectives by Monday and chose to release it on his channel. He then began receiving death threats immediately and took it down for a short time. It is reported that Tyson then was contacted by LE and he turned over the video but an acquaintance of Tysons ended up releasing it on their channel. So it appears it was released before LE received it. This is just based on my research, and I’m unsure if I’m allowed to quote the sources.

My instant opinion is if LE does not know who was threatening these people that is a hole the defense will explore or their investigators will explore prior to trial. It could contribute more to the "not Barry" theory in my opinion if the defense wants to point at someone else and if it was not Barry doing the threatening if people were really threatened. Who would threaten people - someone who has something to hide or someone who knows something and doesn't want it uncovered.

"That doesn't sound good because "she's not answering me either""......So that means Barry was trying to call her prior to getting the call from the neighbor. Cell records will be able to identify that activity. Did Barry leave message on her VM? How many times did he try to call her without response? You would think the neighbor would have been hearing from Barry since he was trying to reach her but couldn't?
Some of the things you’re bringing up are great points that have been brought up by many of us and discussed at length in previous threads, which is fine by me as I think it’s good to revisit things while we wait. Yes, BM had the neighbor call 911 to distance himself, and because he didn’t want his voice recorded and subsequently analyzed. Hard to fake concern. And yes, you would think a husband who was ‘supposedly’3 hours away from home at the time he finds out his wife and partner of over three decades goes missing, would be “blowing up” her phone trying to find/reach her. At least that’s what most panicked, clueless, innocent spouses would be doing imo. If cell phone records don’t show multiple calls from BM to SM from the moment he got the ‘family emergency’ call until he arrived back in Maysville, well that’s highly suspicious imo.
I have opined many times, in addition to his lies and inconsistent statements, cell phone records ultimately sink BM.

Sometimes it’s the little things like this that perpetrators forget to do that trip them up down the road, like forgetting to act concerned etc., which in addition to their arrogance, contributes to their downfall in the end. If BM was a good planner, he’d have remembered to make sure to call SM phone several times on his way home from Broomfield trying desperately to locate her.

IMO, based on a bunch of other things not least of which his sloppy, last minute, thrown together “alibi”, something tells me BM wasn’t such a good planner and didn’t remember to “blow up” SM’s phone after he found out she went “missing”.
If cell records show BM did try to call SM many times after getting the ‘emergency’ call, that just means he remembered to do it, not that he actually cared, because, well you know….

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
I suspect that by that time....that the neighbor realized she was not gone in her car and that her bike was gone but she was not home and the 911 call was made...that is the point Barry left Broomfield and headed home. To arrive at 9 as he has said he would have left Broomfield at around 6 PM as it it close to a 3 hour drive if not road construction or heavy traffic outside Denver. I personally think that the his first contact with anyone related to law enforcement or SAR was when he arrived at site by his home. It has never been clear to me "who all" was now at the site of the bike at 9 PM. It all sorta made sense to me - I imagine the girls called him, the neighbor was called, 911 was called and Barry headed home. I don't know if it has every been published how far away the girls were or when they got to Maysville. And it has never been said if there were additional calls between Barry, the girls and the neighbor after the 911 call. And it has never been made public if LE called Barry after he left Denver and before he arrived. It's never been made public if any of his firefighting team called him during the drive from Denver to Broomfield or vice versa. It's all an entirely possible sequence that never felt strange to me.

IMO, I think phone records, etc., are going to show BM leaving Broomfield to return home long before he said he did.

And I think SUZANNE’s phone usage is going to tell its own story.

Maybe even ala Frazee? (Frazee kept Kelsey’s phone with him, and created a text stream bogus conversation between his phone and hers. Kept KB’s phone with him and his phone—LE could see that as he and his phone traveled, so did KB’s phone.)

IMO, I think phone records, etc., are going to show BM leaving Broomfield to return home long before he said he did.

And I think SUZANNE’s phone usage is going to tell its own story.

Maybe even ala Frazee? (Frazee kept Kelsey’s phone with him, and created a text stream bogus conversation between his phone and hers. Kept KB’s phone with him and his phone—LE could see that as he and his phone traveled, so did KB’s phone.)

More likely if he did leave earlier...and if he stopped for more than gas, that will show up. We know he says he arrived around 9 and that will be fully documented by LE because they were there. The time he left should be shown by either his GPS or his cell. I tend to think he did leave Broomfield between 5 and 6 but I too, will be interested in Suzanne's phone locations if the phone wasn't in the house all day Sunday or was "missing"....I always wondered if the item they found on Hwy 50 heading west was her phone.

My instant opinion is if LE does not know who was threatening these people that is a hole the defense will explore or their investigators will explore prior to trial. It could contribute more to the "not Barry" theory in my opinion if the defense wants to point at someone else and if it was not Barry doing the threatening if people were really threatened. Who would threaten people - someone who has something to hide or someone who knows something and doesn't want it uncovered.

OR town folks who are protective/territorial of the area that didn't want "outsiders" coming in by large numbers to search around. I can totally see this scenario. IMO

OR town folks who are protective/territorial of the area that didn't want "outsiders" coming in by large numbers to search around. I can totally see this scenario. IMO
Yes I think if the "threats" are genuine - LE has either uncovered who it was or the defense investigators will. I think this speculation has more bearing in the case perhaps for both sides. I too, can see a scenario that it is "locals"...the "hills" could have much to hide that may have nothing to do with Suzanne and Barry in which case it won't come up at all at trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
megalow