CANADA Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #16

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes agreed it could be a red herring. But we did learn a number of tidbits:

Like that Brad, the son-in-law was the requestor for secrecy to protect his family. We do not know if he was the sole person who was afraid, he did not come from a family with money like Alex did, maybe upon learning his wife would receive 1/4 of multiple millions (she was over 25 first payment threshold) and the fear in the family at that time they were fighting TPS to see it as a double murder and not murder-suicide and did not have any suspects, the list goes on.

It was surprising for me to hear reports that she and her husband separated. It saddened me, I am sure Alex needs to be well supported and around people she can trust at this time so soon after the deaths.

Then when we heard from her brother himself that she considered he could be involved in their parent's deaths.

Now we know Brad was on the last will as a trustee, got to wonder how much he knows of inside interactions, and is he afraid of someone?

We also learned that Barry had a plan to ensure Honey never needed anything and would be well taken care of. We learned Honey in fact did not have a personal will, it appears her wishes were covered within Barry's will. As well that he saw his 4 children equally and said just divide by 4. But the last tidbit that was some interesting is that the final payout when they are 35 looks to be the last 1/4 but paid out via trust on an annual basis not a lump sum. That would make me think the other wills that are not public knowledge explain what can and cannot be sold so that what feeds the trust funds goes on and on.

Apotex Canada was for sale, not sure if it still is or not, but other divisions in Europe are sold, canceled, and sold off all the US arm Barry was investing to build and spend hundreds of millions.

If Barry truly had no religion and did not believe in life ever after, when you die that is it you sleep and nothing else, maybe he did not care if it went on without him, free to sell it all to build the trust funds? so I assume this is acceptable as part of Barry's plan.

I also noticed the trust component paid annually was reported by NP, although other MSM simply state the estates were to be equally divided by the four -

“However, the money is to be held in trust until the children reach age 25, when they will receive one-quarter of their inheritance, then one-third upon reaching age 30, the will says. They will receive the full portion at age 35, as an “annual income … for the maintenance, education, advancement in life and benefit of the specified beneficiary.”…”
Unsealed estate files reveal Barry and Honey Sherman's plans for their fortune | National Post

June 15 2021 rbbm.
Unsealed estate files reveal Barry and Honey Sherman's plans for their fortune | National Post
''Upon their deaths, Barry Sherman held $67 million in personal property and $1.8 million in real estate. Honey Sherman had $45.9 million in personal property and $9.5 million in real estate, the documents say. This figure covered by the estate files, though, represents a fraction of their true wealth; Forbes estimates Barry Sherman was worth around $3 billion at the time of his death.'

Sorry dotr, I somehow managed to mess up your post which I quoted.

I think it unusual safety concerns were not reported directly to TPS. It’s not surprising the file was ordered to be unsealed given even TPS was unaware of those same concerns.

[93] The lack of any evidentiary foundation for the Appellants’' safety concerns is confirmed by the TPS Evidence, the sworn testimony of Detective Constable Dennis Yim. He stated on cross- examination in a proceeding to unseal police Informations to Obtain (“"ITOs"”) that, to his knowledge, there were no "“safety issues”" relating to the ongoing sealing of the ITOs, he was not aware of anyone being concerned with their safety, and the Toronto police are not worried about
the potential unsealing of the Estate Files. While the Appellants point to statements of individual concern for safety, such concern is not a sufficient basis for a sealing order.
https://www.scc-csc.ca/WebDocuments-DocumentsWeb/38695/FM070_Respondent_Kevin-Donovan.pdf

Last edited:
I also noticed the trust component paid annually was reported by NP, although other MSM simply state the estates were to be equally divided by the four -

“However, the money is to be held in trust until the children reach age 25, when they will receive one-quarter of their inheritance, then one-third upon reaching age 30, the will says. They will receive the full portion at age 35, as an “annual income … for the maintenance, education, advancement in life and benefit of the specified beneficiary.”…”

BBM I wonder exactly what's meant by this part. Who controls/decides what's worthy?

Often when there is a group of people, like a jury, or a committee or a group of trustees formed, dynamics occur that lead to an alignment of individuals.
I think this might have happened with the request for sealing the estate documents. Someone felt (reasonably, or not) the information in these documents should be withheld from the public scrutiny. That person might have some sway over enough other members to get a judge to seal the documents. Let us just assume JS felt it was best for all involved, that these documents should be sealed. We know by the amount of security JS had when KD interviewed him, that he appeared to be worried for his safety. BK, as a favor to JS, files the request for sealing. BK wants to stay on the good side of the remaining Sherman family, as he is estranged from Barry's daughter.

On the other hand it might have all started with some eager lawyer, suggesting 'I can see if I can get a judge to seal the documents to protect your privacy'.

We, in the public see no reason (smoking gun) in the documents for them to have been sealed, and there may not be. But to the perpetrator there might be.

BBM I wonder exactly what's meant by this part. Who controls/decides what's worthy?

Maybe it was Barry’s way of saying ‘I dedicated myself to working and am passing this fortune to you so that you’d have no limits on what are truly valuable: education, all needs met, ventures that give you purpose, etc.’

Barry worded it vaguely, in my view he didn’t set restrictions on the money. He was just gift wrapping it in words with his hopes for what it could be used to purchase.

Often when there is a group of people, like a jury, or a committee or a group of trustees formed, dynamics occur that lead to an alignment of individuals.
I think this might have happened with the request for sealing the estate documents. Someone felt (reasonably, or not) the information in these documents should be withheld from the public scrutiny. That person might have some sway over enough other members to get a judge to seal the documents. Let us just assume JS felt it was best for all involved, that these documents should be sealed. We know by the amount of security JS had when KD interviewed him, that he appeared to be worried for his safety. BK, as a favor to JS, files the request for sealing. BK wants to stay on the good side of the remaining Sherman family, as he is estranged from Barry's daughter.

On the other hand it might have all started with some eager lawyer, suggesting 'I can see if I can get a judge to seal the documents to protect your privacy'.

We, in the public see no reason (smoking gun) in the documents for them to have been sealed, and there may not be. But to the perpetrator there might be.

This interview with AK was from July/19. At the time she expressed fear for her personally safety so I think it’d be quite reasonable for her husband to have applied for the sealing order on her behalf.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/national-alexandra-krawczyk-barry-honey-sherman-1.5178096
“Alexandra Krawczyk was paralyzed by fear after her billionaire parents, Barry and Honey Sherman, were murdered.

"I couldn't leave my home for months because I was too scared," Krawczyk says.

She's still afraid, knowing police have yet to make any arrests in the shocking case. But she refuses to let it deter her from ensuring the community projects in which her parents invested millions will keep going.

"We don't know where the next target is, right? It's an alarming situation, and I feel that I do have to be on guard. But that's not going to stop me from doing important work."….

……She says she continues to worry about her personal safety and the safety of her family as police hunt for leads in the killings. Outside investigators have also been conducting a parallel investigation.….”

It is relatively easy to find out the locations of some of the real estate that MS owns. In addition, I believe there was some press a while back that indicated she owns (partially or totally) some 17 or 19 rental properties in the Toronto area. I am sure HS or BS didn't provide any of the money for these properties...

didn't BS provide lots of money for MS and her husband to buy real estate?...... did i read your comment wrong or am i confused?

i would have thought that when you are married a long time and have children together (and they are each person's only children) that it should be obvious that assets are 100% shared.. of course, then there's all kinds of gray areas if you relax those assumptions.

This interview with AK was from July/19. At the time she expressed fear for her personally safety so I think it’d be quite reasonable for her husband to have applied for the sealing order on her behalf.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/national-alexandra-krawczyk-barry-honey-sherman-1.5178096
“Alexandra Krawczyk was paralyzed by fear after her billionaire parents, Barry and Honey Sherman, were murdered.

"I couldn't leave my home for months because I was too scared," Krawczyk says.

She's still afraid, knowing police have yet to make any arrests in the shocking case. But she refuses to let it deter her from ensuring the community projects in which her parents invested millions will keep going.

"We don't know where the next target is, right? It's an alarming situation, and I feel that I do have to be on guard. But that's not going to stop me from doing important work."….

……She says she continues to worry about her personal safety and the safety of her family as police hunt for leads in the killings. Outside investigators have also been conducting a parallel investigation.….”

I agree AS was fearful. However I do not see how she or Brad could believe that sealing the documents would have any impact on their level of safety. The whole world knew about the huge amount of money involved and Barry's children would get most of it.
Understand that this case went all the way to the SCC over a period on years. There had to be strong motivation to keep the legal fight going. I am just not positive AS was the driving force.

Maybe there is something in the estate documents, not yet discovered, that will be revealing.

i see reference to brian greenspan in completely unrelated case.... given who he was working for in that case, i have lost alot of respect for him... probably completely irrelevent company.

didn't BS provide lots of money for MS and her husband to buy real estate?...... did i read your comment wrong or am i confused?

i would have thought that when you are married a long time and have children together (and they are each person's only children) that it should be obvious that assets are 100% shared.. of course, then there's all kinds of gray areas if you relax those assumptions.

I was being just a wee bit sarcastic.....

I was being just a wee bit sarcastic.....

So Barry was generous. I don’t find it odd that financial gifts to a SIL, best friend of his wife, would occur considering his generosity was also extended toward his son-in-law’s family members.

“In his statement, Brad (like many others who spoke to police) mentioned Barry’s generosity.

“Brad says that Barry was a quiet, friendly, generous and not overly affectionate father-in-law who bought Brad’s brother a house and Brad’s mother a million-dollar savings bond,” reads his police statement…”
People had reason to ‘hurt’ Barry and Honey Sherman, son tells Toronto police in early days of the investigation

So Barry was generous. I don’t find it odd that financial gifts to a SIL, best friend of his wife, would occur considering his generosity was also extended toward his son-in-law’s family members.

“In his statement, Brad (like many others who spoke to police) mentioned Barry’s generosity.

“Brad says that Barry was a quiet, friendly, generous and not overly affectionate father-in-law who bought Brad’s brother a house and Brad’s mother a million-dollar savings bond,” reads his police statement…”
People had reason to ‘hurt’ Barry and Honey Sherman, son tells Toronto police in early days of the investigation

Yes he undoubtedly was generous.
Many lined up at the ‘Bank of Barry’ Sherman: Inside the $10 billion succession battle

"...It was not just the four children who benefitted from Barry’s success. Friends, and children of friends, were provided with money for education and houses. The families of both Barry’s sister and Honey’s sister were also given financial help. For example, according to documents in a lawsuit filed by the son of Honey’s sister Mary Shechtman (he is seeking information on the Shechtman family trust and a court order removing Mary and her husband Allen Shechtman as trustees and replacing them with a corporate trust company), the Shechtman trust owns 17 houses. Insiders say those were purchased with Barry’s assistance over the years..."

And yet "...Sources say Shechtman has told friends that her family is so short of cash that her husband is driving an Uber in Florida, and she is considering a job as a tour guide...."
Murdered billionaire Barry Sherman planned to give away or invest much of his fortune, sources say

I find it virtually impossible to reconcile these 2 positions. But I suppose an extra $300-$500 million would have helped MS and her husband out considerably in getting out of having to run tours and drive an UBER .

Probably insignificant but just noticed the Canntrust in the news again -

Mar/2018
CannTrust, a new company, was given a Health Canada licence in June 2014 to produce medical cannabis at a facility in Vaughan. The people involved in Canntrust included brothers Eric and Norman Paul, both pharmacists and entrepreneurs. Company documents show they initially produced cannabis in a 40,000-square-foot hydroponic indoor facility, and then a second, larger facility was added in the Niagara Region.

To people with permission to purchase cannabis for medical reasons, CannTrust sells oils, drops, and dried marijuana for smoking. The company website lists marijuana products with names like Royal Purple Kush, Diesel and Sensi Star. Shipping is free on all orders of $90 or more, the site says.

But the owners of the company, with their pharmacy background, speculated that the future of medical marijuana lay in pills that would deliver relief for six to eight hours. One investor told the Star that soldiers and others with PTSD “smoke and smoke and smoke to alleviate their symptoms.” Smoking, he said, provides short-term relief. A properly designed slow-release pill could help over a longer period.

An early investor in CannTrust was Jack Kay, Apotex’s CEO for many years and Sherman’s trusted right-hand man since 1982. Kay had over the years developed a friendship with Aubrey Dan from the rival Canadian generic firm Novopharm.

Dan’s father, Leslie, founded Novopharm, which the family eventually sold to Israeli firm Teva. In the early days, Apotex and Novopharm were engaged in constant battles, though Kay and Aubrey Dan got along well and served together on an industry council. Kay suggested in 2016 that Aubrey Dan invest in Canntrust, and he did.

Kay, who is now vice-chairman and CEO of Apotex, said he supported an eventual partnership between Apotex and CannTrust because “cannabis for medicinal purposes should not be ingested with the current and often used method of smoking.”……”

Mar/2018
Barry Sherman was helping to develop ‘pot pill’ for medical marijuana users
“The project to develop a slow-release medical marijuana pill was on. Just a year before his murder, Sherman gave the green light on what scientists at his generic drug firm, Apotex, and marijuana firm CannTrust call the “pharmaceuticalization of marijuana.” People suffering from chronic pain, depression, anxiety, seizures, post-traumatic stress disorder and other afflictions might one day benefit, say investors in the project.

“I think Barry decided Apotex better get in on the ground level,” said Aubrey Dan, a businessman who is involved in the project, but was once a Sherman rival in the generic drug world. “Barry was a true entrepreneur. He has always been a risk taker.”

Health Canada approval is estimated to be two years away, but if it comes, the pills would be a disrupter in the Big Pharma brand-name drug world, and for Sherman’s own generic firm, providing an alternative to highly addictive opioids and other pharmaceuticals. People who worked with the late Sherman say the so-called “pot pill” will be one of his greatest legacies.

“Barry went away and did his homework,” recalled Eric Paul, CEO of CannTrust. “Then everybody got on board.”….”

Today -
CannTrust's former CEO and two directors charged with fraud | Calgary Herald
“Fraud charges have been laid against CannTrust Holdings Inc.’s former chief executive Peter Aceto and two former directors, all of whom face possible jail time of up to five years if found guilty in a sweeping quasi-criminal case led by the Ontario Securities Commission.

Company co-founder and former board chair Eric Paul and former director Mark Litwin are also charged with insider trading following a months-long investigation by Canada’s largest capital markets regulator. The OSC moved in following blockbuster revelations in the summer of 2019 that a Health Canada inspection of the publicly traded company uncovered unlicensed cannabis growing at its Pelham, Ont. facility.

The three men are facing a total of more than a dozen counts that include allegations of making misleading disclosure to investors in a case that will be prosecuted in the Ontario Court of Justice due to its quasi-criminal nature, rather than before an OSC tribunal as a civil matter. This marks the first time the commission has gone after a public company using its quasi-criminal powers.

In a statement Tuesday laying out the charges, the OSC said the allegations “relate to efforts to conceal the illegal growing of cannabis at CannTrust over a 10-month period in 2018 and 2019.”….”

Mar/2018
CannTrust, a new company, was given a Health Canada licence in June 2014 to produce medical cannabis at a facility in Vaughan. The people involved in Canntrust included brothers Eric and Norman Paul, both pharmacists and entrepreneurs. Company documents show they initially produced cannabis in a 40,000-square-foot hydroponic indoor facility, and then a second, larger facility was added in the Niagara Region.

To people with permission to purchase cannabis for medical reasons, CannTrust sells oils, drops, and dried marijuana for smoking. The company website lists marijuana products with names like Royal Purple Kush, Diesel and Sensi Star. Shipping is free on all orders of $90 or more, the site says.

But the owners of the company, with their pharmacy background, speculated that the future of medical marijuana lay in pills that would deliver relief for six to eight hours. One investor told the Star that soldiers and others with PTSD “smoke and smoke and smoke to alleviate their symptoms.” Smoking, he said, provides short-term relief. A properly designed slow-release pill could help over a longer period.

An early investor in CannTrust was Jack Kay, Apotex’s CEO for many years and Sherman’s trusted right-hand man since 1982. Kay had over the years developed a friendship with Aubrey Dan from the rival Canadian generic firm Novopharm.

Dan’s father, Leslie, founded Novopharm, which the family eventually sold to Israeli firm Teva. In the early days, Apotex and Novopharm were engaged in constant battles, though Kay and Aubrey Dan got along well and served together on an industry council. Kay suggested in 2016 that Aubrey Dan invest in Canntrust, and he did.

Kay, who is now vice-chairman and CEO of Apotex, said he supported an eventual partnership between Apotex and CannTrust because “cannabis for medicinal purposes should not be ingested with the current and often used method of smoking.”……”

Mar/2018
“The project to develop a slow-release medical marijuana pill was on. Just a year before his murder, Sherman gave the green light on what scientists at his generic drug firm, Apotex, and marijuana firm CannTrust call the “pharmaceuticalization of marijuana.” People suffering from chronic pain, depression, anxiety, seizures, post-traumatic stress disorder and other afflictions might one day benefit, say investors in the project.

“I think Barry decided Apotex better get in on the ground level,” said Aubrey Dan, a businessman who is involved in the project, but was once a Sherman rival in the generic drug world. “Barry was a true entrepreneur. He has always been a risk taker.”

Health Canada approval is estimated to be two years away, but if it comes, the pills would be a disrupter in the Big Pharma brand-name drug world, and for Sherman’s own generic firm, providing an alternative to highly addictive opioids and other pharmaceuticals. People who worked with the late Sherman say the so-called “pot pill” will be one of his greatest legacies.

“Barry went away and did his homework,” recalled Eric Paul, CEO of CannTrust. “Then everybody got on board.”….”

Today -
“Fraud charges have been laid against CannTrust Holdings Inc.’s former chief executive Peter Aceto and two former directors, all of whom face possible jail time of up to five years if found guilty in a sweeping quasi-criminal case led by the Ontario Securities Commission.

Company co-founder and former board chair Eric Paul and former director Mark Litwin are also charged with insider trading following a months-long investigation by Canada’s largest capital markets regulator. The OSC moved in following blockbuster revelations in the summer of 2019 that a Health Canada inspection of the publicly traded company uncovered unlicensed cannabis growing at its Pelham, Ont. facility.

The three men are facing a total of more than a dozen counts that include allegations of making misleading disclosure to investors in a case that will be prosecuted in the Ontario Court of Justice due to its quasi-criminal nature, rather than before an OSC tribunal as a civil matter. This marks the first time the commission has gone after a public company using its quasi-criminal powers.

In a statement Tuesday laying out the charges, the OSC said the allegations “relate to efforts to conceal the illegal growing of cannabis at CannTrust over a 10-month period in 2018 and 2019.”….”
Lol, maybe the name should be changed from CannTrust to CannoTrust?!

Lol, maybe the name should be changed from CannTrust to CannoTrust?!

That’s for sure.

From my link above -
“In a statement Tuesday laying out the charges, the OSC said the allegations “relate to efforts to conceal the illegal growing of cannabis at CannTrust over a 10-month period in 2018 and 2019.”….”

August, 2018 while Apotex was under the helm of JK came this “acceleration”announcement. Did the company’s relationship with Canntrust have any connection to his sudden departure?

CannTrust and Apotex Accelerate Partnership to Fuel Global Expansion in Medical Cannabis Market
VAUGHAN, ON, Aug. 8, 2018 /PRNewswire/ - CannTrust Holdings Inc. ("CannTrust" or the "Company", TSX: TRST), one of Canada's leading licensed producers and most trusted brands of cannabis announced today that the Company is accelerating its exclusive partnership with Apotex Inc., the largest Canadian-owned generic pharmaceutical company and a global leader and innovator in the production and distribution of high-quality, affordable medicines. Ahead of schedule, the partnership is developing alternate dosage formats for medical cannabis products, which will advance CannTrust's leadership in the medical cannabis market in Canada, and on a global basis. The Companies are increasing their focus on extensive research and development. The result will be innovative new products and competitive additions to the CannTrust portfolio, including both quick release and sustained release formats for THC and CBD. This advancement will provide more choice to meet the growing demand from both healthcare practitioners and their patients for standardized cannabis dosages.…”

Mar/2018

Mar/2018

Today -

What an interesting post, especially seeing the arc of the company.

Canntrust had a ‘Keureg’ -type delivery system in mind, according to this Bloomberg video from 3 days ago. James Hodgins discusses CannTrust Holdings

In December, 2017 Canntrust stock was trading at 7.2960. Today it’s trading at 0.5800
F855CF22-615F-4D74-8340-DFE6665EF5A3.jpeg
CANNTRUST HOLDINGS INC (CNTTQ) Stock Price, News, Quote & History - Yahoo Finance

ETA: Canntrust started publicly trading in August, 2017.

Last edited:
Last edited:
O/T? The 12 story Miami bldg that just collapsed? So tragic.

That 8777 Collins Ave, Surfside FL address rang a bell.
Did the Shermans own a unit there?

https://t.co/c9QcHvejX3?amp=1 <--- A real est listing.
The vid shows quite a ocean view, at least from that unit.

Maybe they did? ...It's showing a 'page not found' for me when I click on the link.

O/T? The 12 story Miami bldg that just collapsed? So tragic.

That 8777 Collins Ave, Surfside FL address rang a bell.
Did the Shermans own a condo unit there?

https://t.co/c9QcHvejX3?amp=1 <--- A real est listing.
The vid shows quite a ocean view, at least from that unit.

ETA: Ooops ^ link now not found/dead. Try this, just for the bldg.
https://www.trulia.com/p/fl/miami-beach/8777-collins-ave-606-miami-beach-fl-33154--2034891332

I immediately had the same thought as you when I heard the terrible news.

3rd ETA: I’ll put this in quotes as it’s too long. There are two condos owned by Honey (& multiple trustees), and Mary (& multiple trustees) that are on the same street as the catastrophe.

8853A430-9AB3-421A-BE60-711B2F4C1402.png
Arivify.com - Property search website

I recall at least one other condo in that area, but I cannot find it.

3rd ETA: this seems to be the most current for the two condos mentioned below—

Honey & her sister jointly held one property in that area, @ldlager captured a screenshot in April:
339C8F2A-1B1F-429E-B891-5C11612B8849.png

Canada - Barry, 75, & Honey Sherman, 70, found dead, Toronto, 15 Dec 2017 #15

That property right now is in Mary’s name alone:
3F56BCFA-6B23-4EDD-B5E9-AE465FAF3536.png

Collins Avenue, Sunny Isles Beach, FL | BlockShopper.com

There were other condos in Honey’s name a few months ago, but now I cannot find them. Still searching...

ETA: Just noting this link differs as it adds ‘TRS’ (multiple trustees) in addition to Mary’s name.
https://parcellookup.com/p/18101-collins-ave-3406-sunny-isles-beach-fl-33160_5922678

2nd ETA: Another one—
A1AD6B05-4182-4A81-8ADA-4CE96C556243.png

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics