Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #96

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amonet

Reaction score
The number of people already infected by the mystery virus emerging in China is far greater than official figures suggest, scientists have told the BBC.
There have been 41 laboratory-confirmed cases of the new virus, but UK experts estimate the figure is closer to 1,700.
New virus in China ‘will have infected hundreds'
Up to 4,500 patients in China may have caught the same strain of coronavirus that has killed two people, scientists fear.
Health officials in Wuhan – the city at the heart of the outbreak which started in December – confirmed four new cases today, taking the total to 48.
But Imperial College London researchers say this may be the 'tip of the iceberg' after analysing flights out of the city.

Thread #80 Thread #81 Thread #82 Thread #83 Thread #84 Thread #85 Thread #86 Thread #87 Thread #88 Thread #89 Thread #90 Thread #91 Thread #92 Thread #93 Thread #94 Thread #95

Last edited by a moderator:
Dr. Hansen discusses COVID origin and lab leak theory, most all we have already discussed here on threads, some new e.g. genetic manipulation.... (he also covers Jon Stewart on Colbert)

Bottom line, who knows. We may or may not ever know.

00:21 Reaction about the Jon Stewart Reaction Statement on Stephen Colbert Show
02:33 The COVID Origin
04:08 Close Living Quarters - Humans and Animals
04:55 SARS-COV-2's Closest Relative
05:31 The LAB LEAK Theory of COVID
06:33 The Timeline of COVID
07:40 The Precedent for LAB Accidents
09:32 Genetic Manipulation
12:17 Was the COVID Virus Biologically Manipulated?

Last edited:
We are finding that the Delta strain is so contagious that we have people here that have contracted it by the most miniscule contact with an infectious person.

This article is behind a paywall so I will paraphrase this example .....

The NSW Health dept has followed the movements (through CCTV) of a limousine driver who started the latest Covid cluster in Sydney. They note that he had "mere seconds of contact with a man in his 50s who tested positive". The two men simply passed by each other, being about 50cm (20 inches) apart for a few seconds.

The Health Minister says that there is now great concern that a person can contract this variant by walking along the same hall as an infected person, or passing an infected person on an escalator, if you pass through the infected person's air space.

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph
Covid Sydney: Westfield Bondi cluster grows as Delta strain spreads
June 19, 2021

Last edited:
We are finding that the Delta strain is so contagious that we have people here that have contracted it by the most miniscule contact with an infectious person.

This article is behind a paywall so I will paraphrase this example .....

The NSW Health dept has followed the movements (through CCTV) of a limousine driver who started the latest Covid cluster in Sydney. They note that he had "mere seconds of contact with a man in his 50s who tested positive". The two men simply passed by each other, being about 50cm (20 inches) apart for a few seconds.

The Health Minister says that there is now great concern that a person can contract this variant by walking along the same hall as an infected person, or passing an infected person on an escalator, if you pass through the infected person's air space.

No Cookies | Daily Telegraph
Covid Sydney: Westfield Bondi cluster grows as Delta strain spreads
June 19, 2021

Yikes!

My doctor believes that my husband caught Covid-19 by walking through someone’s aerosol in a drug/variety store. This was back in late January. The strange part is that if this scenario is true, he was asymptomatic until about a week after I came down with it. We had assumed that I touched something he brought home from the drugstore, came down with it and gave it to him. But our doctor pointed out that catching it from a surface is less likely. We will never know, of course. And I wasn’t tested for a variant in my rural area, but I’ve always wondered if we ran into something more contagious. We had been so careful that our friends were amazed we caught it. I call it a sneaky virus.

Dr. Hansen discusses COVID origin and lab leak theory, most all we have already discussed here on threads, some new e.g. genetic manipulation.... (he also covers Jon Stewart on Colbert)

Bottom line, who knows. We may or may not ever know.

From the start of this virus, we saw scientists disputing the idea that a lab leak was a "conspiracy theory," but there was a huge political push to silence those scientists.

I think what bothers me is the most is that the original scientists who signed Peter Daszak's letter did so either out of pressure or because they were afraid others might think they were aligned with the last administration.

Science should not be politicized or polarized. It should definitely not be manipulated.

I want to trust science. I want to trust scientists.

I know there are some pretty intense implications if we ever determine the virus came from the WIV.

But, signing a letter they didn't know to be factual is anti-science, and that damaged the public's trust more than anything.

My doctor believes that my husband caught Covid-19 by walking through someone’s aerosol in a drug/variety store. This was back in late January. The strange part is that if this scenario is true, he was asymptomatic until about a week after I came down with it. We had assumed that I touched something he brought home from the drugstore, came down with it and gave it to him. But our doctor pointed out that catching it from a surface is less likely. We will never know, of course. And I wasn’t tested for a variant in my rural area, but I’ve always wondered if we ran into something more contagious. We had been so careful that our friends were amazed we caught it. I call it a sneaky virus.

I kinda go along with your doc's theory: It is so much more likely to contract the virus through breathing it in, rather than thru touching a surface-- I call this virus EVIL, just plain evil. I too was amazed you and hubby caught it.

I kinda go along with your doc's theory: It is so much more likely to contract the virus through breathing it in, rather than thru touching a surface-- I call this virus EVIL, just plain evil. I too was amazed you and hubby caught it.

Yes, I’ve actually started calling it “evil” too, especially the Delta variant. After a lot of thought, I’m inclined to agree with my doctor. My husband was double-masked…fabric mask over an N95, so it may have entered his eyes, even tho’ he wears glasses. Or he touched his mask and then his eyes. The fact that we got it in such a seemingly convoluted way is a big concern for me now that the highly contagious Delta is here, even though we are fully vaccinated. I feel like I “should” be eager to eat outside at a restaurant (we love to eat out), but I don’t think I’d enjoy it yet. Then I wonder if I’m being neurotic! :eek: I did hug our vaccinated housekeeper/friend for the first time since March 2020 last week and it was lovely to do something so normal. :) But after fifteen months of isolation I’m really not ready to to mingle with the general public yet, and I guess I just need to follow my instincts until we know how Delta (and its potential relatives) is going to play out in my vaxx-resistant county.

Yes, I’ve actually started calling it “evil” too, especially the Delta variant. After a lot of thought, I’m inclined to agree with my doctor. My husband was double-masked…fabric mask over an N95, so it may have entered his eyes, even tho’ he wears glasses. Or he touched his mask and then his eyes. The fact that we got it in such a seemingly convoluted way is a big concern for me now that the highly contagious Delta is here, even though we are fully vaccinated. I feel like I “should” be eager to eat outside at a restaurant (we love to eat out), but I don’t think I’d enjoy it yet. Then I wonder if I’m being neurotic! :eek: I did hug our vaccinated housekeeper/friend for the first time since March 2020 last week and it was lovely to do something so normal. :) But after fifteen months of isolation I’m really not ready to to mingle with the general public yet, and I guess I just need to follow my instincts until we know how Delta (and its potential relatives) is going to play out in my vaxx-resistant county.

It's almost impossible not to subconsciously touch your eyes. I struggled with that, I think, more than just about anything else.
And, heaven forbid you've just used hand sanitizer and then touched your eyes. I did that one a few times too, and then regretted it.

My county (not my state) has done pretty good with getting the shot but I know that not everyone I'm passing in the grocery store that isn't wearing a mask is vaccinated. It's just not statistically possible. Yet, I see less than 2 to 5% of the people wearing masks.

I worry we could see a variant surge that turns into another variant that no one is protected against and that it could start all over again.

It's almost impossible not to subconsciously touch your eyes. I struggled with that, I think, more than just about anything else.
And, heaven forbid you've just used hand sanitizer and then touched your eyes. I did that one a few times too, and then regretted it.

My county (not my state) has done pretty good with getting the shot but I know that not everyone I'm passing in the grocery store that isn't wearing a mask is vaccinated. It's just not statistically possible. Yet, I see less than 2 to 5% of the people wearing masks.

I worry we could see a variant surge that turns into another variant that no one is protected against and that it could start all over again.

I hear ya!! I live with that fear as well

TB cases potentially linked to contaminated bone repair product - The Washington Post

I am putting this here even though it is not related to the virus. I think it is important information that noone is talking about and has not made it to the nightly news. The CDC is warning that 100 people have contracted tuberculosis from a bone repair product which was used during spinal fusion surgery. Some people have died following this procedure. Is there any thread for medical information of this importance?

This is really absolutely awful!!!

TB cases potentially linked to contaminated bone repair product - The Washington Post

I am putting this here even though it is not related to the virus. I think it is important information that no one is talking about and has not made it to the nightly news. The CDC is warning that 100 people have contracted tuberculosis from a bone repair product which was used during spinal fusion surgery. Some people have died following this procedure. Is there any thread for medical information of this importance?

This is really absolutely awful!!!

That is horrific. One lot that perhaps included ONE person in such to cause A disease that is nascent comes back in this way... oh dear.

Reminds me of the days of HIV and sooooooooooooo many died that got blood products from ONE that were in many many many vials (My best friends brother died of HIV, he was a hemophiliac and got one of those vials)

I would love to follow such to the outcome here at WS where I trust folks and mods for info.

But can a new thread be created for such in a "crime forum" that isn't a pandemic?

Dunno.

If someone does a new thread, please link here..... unless this post and all is not allowed.

TYVM.

Tokyo Olympics will allow some domestic fans to attend events despite Covid fears (nbcnews.com)

Venues will be limited to 50 percent capacity, with up to 10,000 domestic spectators able to attend events when the games open next month, officials said Monday.

Local spectators will be allowed to attend the Tokyo Olympic Games despite fears around the Covid-19 pandemic, officials said Monday...

Though Japanese officials continue to warn they could bar all spectators from the games if the pandemic gets worse, the announcement suggests that organizers are moving ahead with plans to hold the games in front of crowds, in the face of criticism from some medical experts.

The decision was made by the five parties involved in organizing the games: The International Olympic Committee, the International Paralympic Committee, the Tokyo Olympic Committee, the Tokyo metropolitan government and the government of Japan...

Tokyo Olympics will allow some domestic fans to attend events despite Covid fears (nbcnews.com)

Venues will be limited to 50 percent capacity, with up to 10,000 domestic spectators able to attend events when the games open next month, officials said Monday.

Local spectators will be allowed to attend the Tokyo Olympic Games despite fears around the Covid-19 pandemic, officials said Monday...

Though Japanese officials continue to warn they could bar all spectators from the games if the pandemic gets worse, the announcement suggests that organizers are moving ahead with plans to hold the games in front of crowds, in the face of criticism from some medical experts.

The decision was made by the five parties involved in organizing the games: The International Olympic Committee, the International Paralympic Committee, the Tokyo Olympic Committee, the Tokyo metropolitan government and the government of Japan...

I strongly disagree with going forward with the olympics---

Royal Caribbean sails first ‘simulator’ cruise ship from Miami, as industry set to restart

A Royal Caribbean International cruise ship left from Port Miami with 600 passengers on board Sunday evening — part of a test sail trip as the cruise industry gears up for a grand restart later this summer.

The two-day trip on the Freedom of the Seas is a simulation with volunteer passengers, many of whom are Royal Caribbean employees, set to test whether cruise ships are safe.

The ship, which left the South Florida port at 7 p.m. Sunday, will stop in CocoCay, the Bahamian island owned by the major cruise line.

__

The test ship is departing in the throes of a rocky restart for the industry, just two days after a federal judge in Tampa issued a 124-page ruling — throwing out regulations from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention that dictated what safety rules cruise lines must comply with to set sail. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis challenged the rules in court, arguing the regulations were unfairly targeting the cruise ship industry and cruise companies should be allowed to operate without any federal oversight.

In a legal win for DeSantis, U.S. District Judge Steven Merryday said Friday some of the CDC’s rules, which included a requirement for cruise ships to have COVID-19 testing labs on board, were “unprecedented” and “authoritarian.” Other more basic requirements, like reporting all COVID-19 infections to the CDC, Merryday wrote in the ruling, are within the federal agency’s authority. The current sail order will now be in place for Florida cruises only until July 18, and the CDC has until July 2 to propose more limited regulations in court.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Greer∆