AMBER ALERT TN - Summer Moon-Utah Wells, 5, Rogersville, 15 Jun 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Until LE causes me to think otherwise, this family remains in my prayers. I do not suspect foul play on the part of any family member. I find it regrettable that the press has dug up the dropped DV charges but when there is no tearful mother for them to snap photos of and have pleading for her child back on video at six, they will find something titillating to publish. MOO

I think the family dynamic is complicated and these folks are simple and poor. I think many in the public feel they get to judge them more harshly because they don't fit what some feel is normal or acceptable. Living in poverty is not a crime. Barefoot children is not a crime. Not being June or Ward Cleaver is not a crime. None of those factors signifies to me that these parents don't love their kids. I suspect mom chooses not to be on camera because she is literally devastated. I pray for her. I can't imagine her pain. Her only daughter is missing. Her little wild child.

May today be the day Summer Moon is found.

see i was thinking this as well! <modsnip> Him punching himself in the face can be scary but i agree it shows restraint. when i get extremely angry it can feel like an itch throughout my entire body, i'm not sure how to explain it but, i have to punch something to get that itch out. I never take it out on a person though. Ive gone to therapy about this and many other things but DW doesn't seem like the kind of person who may have access to therapy or would think to take advantage of it.

Before I met my wife I was a punch-inanimate-objects guy when frustrated. Nothing truly violent, but sudden and sometimes noisy. My wife explained to me that due to situations with her father in childhood, that behavior is triggering to her, so over time I was able to curb that impulse. It has done a lot to improve my mental health and communication skills. It's way more productive to put that frustration into words and talk it out with someone than to traumatize them and push them farther away by scaring them with sudden outbursts. I'm grateful to her for taking the time to explain it to me that way, it has helped in other relationships with people as well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Until LE causes me to think otherwise, this family remains in my prayers. I do not suspect foul play on the part of any family member. I find it regrettable that the press has dug up the dropped DV charges but when there is no tearful mother for them to snap photos of and have pleading for her child back on video at six, they will find something titillating to publish. MOO

I think the family dynamic is complicated and these folks are simple and poor. I think many in the public feel they get to judge them more harshly because they don't fit what some feel is normal or acceptable. Living in poverty is not a crime. Barefoot children is not a crime. Not being June or Ward Cleaver is not a crime. None of those factors signifies to me that these parents don't love their kids. I suspect mom chooses not to be on camera because she is literally devastated. I pray for her. I can't imagine her pain. Her only daughter is missing. Her little wild child.

May today be the day Summer Moon is found.

Domestic violence, possible <modsnip> and alcohol abuse , firearms in the home under this scenario...these are all serious concerns to me as far as the welfare of the children. Like I said before, many children can and do end up dead in dangerous situations, even when there was no intent.

JMO

https://www.tn.gov/content/dam/tn/attorneygeneral/documents/ops/2015/op15-75.pdf

Yes. As a general rule, a person who has been convicted of a felony may not possess any antique, black powder or any other type of firearm unless his firearms rights have been completely restored. But there are certain exceptions that permit a nonviolent felony offender to possess black powder and antique long guns and that permit convicted felons to possess black powder long guns and handguns only at their places of residence.

(The black powder pistol was in the glove box of his car. )

I'm also not sure why a drunk driving charge wasn't issued in this case. LE saw him pull onto the property, and when he got out of the car he stumbled and LE had to pick him up. That's not Driving While Under The Influence in Tennessee ?
The law is odd and sometimes seems to conflict with its self.

2 Question 2(b)Do the prohibitions against possession of antique and black powder firearms apply only to offenders who have been convicted of violent felonies and felony drug offenses?Opinion 2(b)Subject to limited exceptions for possession of black powder and antique long guns by nonviolent felons and for any felony offender’s possession of black powder firearms at that offender’s place of residence, convicted felons of any class are prohibited from possessing antique or black powder firearms.Question

2(c)Does Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1307(e) permit a person who has been convicted of a violent felony or felony drug offense to possess a black powder firearm in a motor vehicle if the offender is in lawful possession of the motor vehicle?

Opinion 2(c)Tennessee Code Annotated § 39-17-1307(e), by its plain terms, provides an exception to Tenn. Code Ann. § 39-17-1307(a), which prohibits the carrying of weapons for purposes of going armed. It does not permit possession of any firearm, including a black powder firearm, by a person who has been convicted of a violent felony or felony drug offens

<modsnip - quoted post removed>

Side Note: As do many folks, I have life experiences which involve different levels of DV, but those experiences (and the feelings that come with then) are irrelevant to the current situation. If everything is on the table (as LE has stated), open dialogue means reaching beyond feelings and analyzing available facts.

In the report/article.

No. But I do find it interesting that Candus is the one who reported that DW was punching himself in the face.

Either way...who did what to whom isn't really an issue for me. MY concern is the dangerous environment these children have been living in. I couldn't give 2 squats about how two grown adults behave, EXCEPT where innocent children are involved.

I can’t believe summer still has not been found :( also very surprised (happily) that it seems someone put out a reward in this case. The community seems awesome in their collective response to this situation.

<modsnip>

Edited to fix a sentence

I’m not seeing the relevance of the firearm. Even if it was prohibited due to his criminal background, LE already said father’s criminal background isn’t relevant here. I haven’t seen anything about anyone hearing gunshots. And if it was an accidental shooting (kids playing), there’d be evidence of same IMO.

Lock up your firearms, people! It’s Prime day and I’m sure there are deals on safes (which are also excellent for storing medications).

I can’t believe summer still has not been found :( also very surprised (happily) that it seems someone put out a reward in this case. The community seems awesome in their collective response to this situation.

I’m seeing a lot of talk here about poverty and I’m curious if we know how ... bad.. their situation is. Are these ideas of just how bad it is just speculation? I’ve read along this whole time but I sometimes skip articles and videos so wondering if I missed anything.

Edited to fix a sentence

Here’s some demographics for the county:
Hawkins County, Tennessee - Wikipedia

Sadly, so many of these cases are not solved unless someone talks. I’m not referring to a young child who is lost in a field or in the woods, although those can be very challenging, but one who was harmed and hidden. It’s disgusting to think about but hiding the body of a small one is doable, especially if the person who caused harm has a head start on authorities.

I’ve been going back and forth with possibilities since this started. There is another scenario (with a positive outcome) that I don’t believe I can mention here (yet).
_____
Edited because my microphone doesn’t always get it right.

That's true about them going unsolved without someone talking. It's just too early for me to lose hope that they will figure this one out.

IMO, other details disclosed about that event may be more important than the wording of her written statement.

The WVLT story contained the following tidbits:

- The presence of another man at the residence. DW stated during an interview that he works "all the time". Perhaps this wasn't the first time he came home to a man in his home. And, depending on who that man was, DWs response to his presence at the residence could be justified (for more reasons than possible infidelity by CW).

- "DW argued with the man and had a 'struggle' with Bly"... "Bly was pushed down...". One can imagine that scenario. DW confronting the man, Bly stepping between and being pushed aside. IMO, not necessarily an intent to harm on the part of DW.

- DW began "punching himself in the face" before exiting the residence and getting into his vehicle. He did not begin punching others in the face. To me, this indicates a level of self control. Wanting to release anger physically, yet choosing to do so by harming himself instead of others involved in the DV event.

- When officers arrived, DW was in his vehicle in the driveway. To me, that indicates a desire to remove himself from the situation. Perhaps to de-escalate. That is telling, IMO. Though intoxicated, he exhibited self control and put distance between himself and the other parties.

- IMO, the presence of the black powder pistol in the vehicle is irrelevant. The fact that it was in the vehicle does not indicate an intent to use it during the DV event. It could simply be that it is always kept there for protection. Most people I know in this area have a firearm in their vehicle (or on thier person) at all times. And, since TN Law contains exceptions for black powder firearms (even when in the possession of a felony offender), that may be why DW chose to carry that specific firearm in his vehicle. If that is the case, that indicates a responsible choice by DW.

<modsnip>

Basically, IMO, the DV gives us a few things to consider...
#1 - DW has the ability to exhibit self control. Even when extremely upset. Even while intoxicated.
#2 - CW has welcomed at least one man into their home while DW was at work. Which means, at least one man had access to the children.

So, if "abduction" is on the table, one has to consider whether that man (or another previous visitor) could be involved in Summers disappearance. And, if DW is able to exhibit self control during that DV event, IMO, he would exhibit the same level (if not more) self control with his daughter. Meaning, based on what I have seen so far, IMO, DW did not harm Summer.

Of course, all of this is just my humble opinion.

Interesting take on that. I would never have considered someone punching themselves in the face as "exhibiting self control". Seems more like manipulation to me.

My thoughts on what could have possibly happened to Summer have been changing with the wind. Early this evening will be a solid week since she's been missing. I'm thinking about forcing myself to go with the abduction theory because, in my mind, that's the only scenario where she's still alive. Anyone else feeling the same way? It's not a good feeling by any means.

My thoughts on what could have possibly happened to Summer have been changing with the wind. Early this evening will be a solid week since she's been missing. I'm thinking about forcing myself to go with the abduction theory because, in my mind, that's the only scenario where she's still alive. Anyone else feeling the same way? It's not a good feeling by any means.
i hate it but i'm hoping maybe one of the many SO living nearby could have abducted her and shes alive. Its an unrealistic hope because i'm also hoping she is completely unharmed

I’m not seeing the relevance of the firearm. Even if it was prohibited due to his criminal background, LE already said father’s criminal background isn’t relevant here. I haven’t seen anything about anyone hearing gunshots. And if it was an accidental shooting (kids playing), there’d be evidence of same IMO.

Lock up your firearms, people! It’s Prime day and I’m sure there are deals on safes (which are also excellent for storing medications).

That wasn't the point I was trying to make. The point I was trying to make is that it is a concern to me, where children are involved , when there is ANY kind of violence in the home. It's not just a concern to me...it's also a concern to CPS. <modsnip> Generally speaking, of course.

JMO

I would just add that it is illegal for a convicted felon to be in possession of a firearm. I don't know HOW that charge was dismissed. I wasn't aware it even COULD be dismissed. You're either a felon with a firearm or you aren't ?

I dunno.
He may of had his gun rights restored. Depending on the crime and length of time a felon can apply for restored rights. Virginia and Tennessee both allow gun right restoration.

ETA..The gun was black powder. One shot and you have to “pack” the chamber again.’ Now a fast process.
Can a felon get gun rights back in Tennessee?

The 2018 change allows a person with a non-violent or non-drug felony to have their firearm rights restored under Tenn. Code Ann. § 40-29-101 et seq. ... However, restoration of rights does not apply to those convicted of felonies involving violence or attempts, use of a deadly weapon or drug offenses.Nov 13, 2019
Hey
Changes in Tennessee Laws of Restoration of Rights and Antique Firearms | Frantz, McConnell & Seymour, LLP

Last edited:

No, I think it was someone close to her... someone she knew. Either doing it to hurt a family member or possibly a DV thing. MOO

I hope you're right though and this story has a relatively happy ending!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288