SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
What would have made MM stop and get out of the car on a rainy night?

If I’d pulled in and saw trespassers or a burglary in process, I’d keep going up to the main house, activate the alarm (assuming they had one) or lock the doors and call 911 from the house phone. I would not stop. Or back out and drive away. That area does not look far from the entrance with the two brick entrance walls.

I would stop however…if I knew the individuals, believed they posed no threat, and was curious why they were there

I would stop if I saw my son lying on the ground, no matter the danger. There is always the hope that he could be saved.

If I’d pulled in and saw trespassers or a burglary in process, I’d keep going up to the main house, activate the alarm (assuming they had one) or lock the doors and call 911 from the house phone. I would not stop. Or back out and drive away. That area does not look far from the entrance with the two brick entrance walls.

I would stop however…if I knew the individuals, believed they posed no threat, and was curious why they were there

I would stop if I saw my son lying on the ground, no matter the danger. There is always the hope that he could be saved.

Check the mailbox.

Eta

What if she stopped to check mail and heard shotgun blast, maybe she dropped phone then,idk. Then drove in.

Sorry if I missed something -- what evidence is there that MM was in her car and then got out of it shortly before she was killed?

Check the mailbox.

Eta

What if she stopped to check mail and heard shotgun blast, maybe she dropped phone then,idk. Then drove in.

If she was driving the Mercedes SUV…she wouldn’t have had her phone out…because it would be sync-ed to her car. Don’t know about the Range Rover…but I’d assume the same.

Most rural mailboxes you can access from the car, because the postman never gets out….just pulls up and puts the mail in.

I have to agree. I live in a rural community with a golf course. The management hires hunters st night to shoot wild pigs because they would make mincemeat of the golf course. We think nothing of hearing gunfire at night.

Summer is also firecracker season on the lake…doesn’t have to be July 4.
They use traps here. I wouldn’t think much of hearing a shot or two occasionally but not on a nightly basis.

IMO Paul’s phone may have just been on his person. The killers may not even have known he had it. It was left because it posed no threat to them.

If MM’s was taken and discarded…maybe she tried to make a call and they took it from her. Then she tried to run away and they shot her. The phone was then still in their posssession as they drove away, so they threw out the window onto the road.

I wonder if it was found on the drivers side of the road…or the passenger side. That might indicate if there were two killers.
But if they discarded it, (and close to the killing) what was the purpose of taking it in the first place?

Reminder…this is just speculation. Let’s say she stops the car and gets out to see if that is her son lying in the grass. Maybe the killers are not out in the open at that point.

When she realizes it is PM…she runs back to the car to grab her phone out of her handbag and get help. The killers appear, wrestle the phone away from her and she starts to run. They then shoot her several times and she drops to the ground somewhat away from her son.

Last edited:
I wish we knew when it rained that night. Didn’t AM claim he went walking? Could she have been walking with him and dropped her phone? Women’s pants/shorts tend to have smaller pockets than men’s. My phone doesn’t stay well in my pockets.

Some of you suggested MM was in her car and stopped on the road...dropping her phone or having it taken from her. However, there is also the possibility MM was walking on the road for exercise. I realize it was 9 or so, but the sun sets late in the summer, and it is cooler when you walk at dusk. I walk my dogs sometimes at this time. Maybe she and PM were walking a dog together. Just thinking....

A cell phone belonging to Maggie Murdaugh was found on the road outside the 1,700-acre Colleton County estate the day after she and her son Paul were slain, according to sources familiar with the investigation.

Although Paul Murdaugh’s cell phone was found near his body on the night of the killings June 7, investigators were unable to locate Maggie Murdaugh’s cell phone that night, the sources said.

It wasn’t until the next day, Tuesday, June 8, that a family member using his cell phone’s ability to “ping” Maggie Murdaugh’s cell phone found the phone on his digital cell phone map, sources said.

At that point, Maggie Murdaugh’s cell phone was retrieved and was given to the State Law Enforcement Division, the sources said.

The sources did not know whether SLED was able to find any touch DNA or fingerprints from the cell phone. Touch DNA, a modern scientific crime analysis technique, can be left on an object’s surface by someone’s mere “touch” and consists of skin cells containing DNA that can then be linked to a specific person.
https://www.islandpacket.com/article252301778.html

More information for those who couldn't read the story. I registered finally :)

Hopefully SLED is looking for any other crime scene items that my have been thrown away on that road.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member