Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #62 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
:

"not relevant to the Court's finding of probable cause" does not equal "irrelevant and/or inadmissable". It is specific to probable cause only, I would think. It doesn't eliminate redacted items from the trial entirely. I would expect anything redacted to be objected to by the defense if and when referenced or introduced in the trial...and the DA will need to present reasons to overrule in order to include certain facts. Being a circumstantial case, there are likely "circumstantial facts" redacted from AA that will find their way into the trial because they are relevant to timelines, physical and forensic evidence, testimony, etc. JMO. This is a case of connecting the dots. The defense wants fewer dots....the DA wants more dots.

Yes and the defense will do one of two things, they will cast doubt on the circumstantial proof so that a conclusion cannot be drawn or they will show that even if the circumstantial evidence is true it can lead to two or more reasonable conclusions with one being consistent with being innocent.

I agree with this....but with premeditation...there seems to be a need for motive, i.e. girlfriend, money or simply a new life. While motive does not in and of itself need to be proven, the act of planning to kill requires some specific reasoning to explain its existance. A 'heat of the moment" wouldn't include the same ingredients, imo..
I don't think they have to have a motive legally...but in a strange way I think they will have to at least give impression of a motive since I assume the number one question that will be in jurors minds is "why" a seemingly happy couple with a life that many would envy would suddenly murder his wife. I am very curious how the prosecution will get around it or address that particular monkey in the room so to speak.

We have talked a bit about travel and Covid. The cleaning lady that spoke to the Morphews that week said that guests had left “because of Covid” and she was tossing food and garbage etc at the dumpster. Sorry I cannot find the link. Were those AirBnBs vacant since March, what was the deal with those properties and Covid? I recall seeing footage of people out and about in Salida, but dining was closed? Could people accompany someone to a chemo appointment in May? Barry was working, was Suzanne staying close to home? Were stores open? Will any of this play a role?

I don't think they have to have a motive legally...but in a strange way I think they will have to at least give impression of a motive since I assume the number one question that will be in jurors minds is "why" a seemingly happy couple with a life that many would envy would suddenly murder his wife. I am very curious how the prosecution will get around it or address that particular monkey in the room so to speak.
One wildcard would be the alleged girlfriend that was mentioned. That knocks a pretty good dent into the happy couple image, if true.

I think they will follow the $$$. Follow the two week jump to guardianship. And follow buying/selling of property....

I think the motive is multi-faceted. We've got adultery, the covid loan 9 employees thing, the attempted voter fraud, the guardianship so quickly. It wouldn't surprise me if we find out there were ten other shady things going on.

There were no interstate travel restrictions between Colorado, Utah and Idaho during covid although I don't know if it has been totally confirmed they were in Idaho...totally possible it's a pretty easy cruise across Colorado, cut the corner of Utah and into Idaho. And not difficult to find spots to camp outside of state or federal parks even during covid. It is quite common with nonurban kids in Colorado to go camp, raft, hangout....it's what they do for fun especially when the college semester ends.
For me, the location of the camping isnt relevant (other than it wasnt 20 mins drive away) but the timing is. On many levels. JMO.

I believe Judge Murphy’s concern for M & M (daughters) is genuine and valid:

“Hey Daughter! Daughter! Hi, I am from the Daily Mail of London. The police say your father hacked your mom to death and hid her body somewhere! Do you have any idea where your mon’s body might be? People want to know!” Etc etc.

Sure, we do want to know everything about a heart-wrenching case we have been sleuthing day and night for over a year!

But M&M are victims - their mother was hideously murdered!

They need time to reflect, plan, organize and put into place physical and emotional strategies to deal with the horrid new reality which has been thrust upon them.

Lawyers, psychiatrists and yes, publicists must be found, interviewed and hired.

Consider the post-revelation lives of Bernard Madoff’s sons. Both are now dead.

Let M&M have the seven weeks to circle their wagons in preparation for the onslaught of their sorrowful new lives at the center of a roman circus!

Last edited:
For me, the location of the camping isnt relevant (other than it wasnt 20 mins drive away) but the timing is. On many levels. JMO.

Last day of exams was May 8 in 2020 for the older daughter. The timing made perfect sense to me but there is no way I can say who planned the getaway. Could have been the daughters just as easy as Barry or Suzanne. I think we'll find out eventually especially if the daughters "being away" is part of the circumstantial timeline for the prosecution.

I think the motive is multi-faceted. We've got adultery, the covid loan 9 employees thing, the attempted voter fraud, the guardianship so quickly. It wouldn't surprise me if we find out there were ten other shady things going on.
Curious why you think the Covid loan played a role. I know very few small business owners that didn't apply for them and I heard anecdotally that some never got the loan. You have to pay them back if you don't meet the terms so not exactly "free" money. You don't pay them back if you paid 60% on payroll and 40% on expenses as the threshold...but there may have been different pockets of aid and I'm not totally familiar with everything that was available. It will be interesting to see if there was any adultery on Barry or Suzanne's part as nothing really surfaced that I was aware of prior to Mother's day weekend.

Agree. Fast talking, pushy, always angling for more, obviously could care less about rules because they don't apply to him.

But to travel all the way to Idaho for a camp out weekend? During Covid?
Agree -- It is a bit odd, IMO, to go that far for a camp-out weekend -- the travel time would almost equal the camping time (yes, a stretch, but hours on a plane, and the hours to wait to board the plane, and the return trip -- it's a drag, at least for me...), but I'm not a "youngster" any more. :rolleyes:

Curious why you think the Covid loan played a role. I know very few small business owners that didn't apply for them and I heard anecdotally that some never got the loan. You have to pay them back if you don't meet the terms so not exactly "free" money. You don't pay them back if you paid 60% on payroll and 40% on expenses as the threshold...but there may have been different pockets of aid and I'm not totally familiar with everything that was available. It will be interesting to see if there was any adultery on Barry or Suzanne's part as nothing really surfaced that I was aware of prior to Mother's day weekend.
The Covid loan is interesting given the sparse information out there. Nothing is fact, but so far it did not appear that Barry had actual employees. It seemed they were 1099s. If so, who were the 9 employees listed? Who did the paperwork-Barry or an accountant? Was Barry in need of the money quickly and applied, knowing he would have to pay it back in the future because he did not dole it out in payroll? Was Barry being above board when he applied for the PPE loan? What other programs did he avail himself of-was there a maze of foundations, LLCs, farms, moving money, short sales?
I think it helps give us an accurate picture of their lives.

[
The Covid loan, which IIRC, was about $53k. BM did receive it. All documented in past threads. Since no one has been able to unearth 9 employees on his payroll, NOT independent contractors, the loan would have been obtained fraudulently. Did you listen to Melinda's last interview? It was pretty clear to me there was adultery on BM's part. Of course, this is my opinion and it's entirely possible to spin it in a way that leaves BM blameless.

Last edited:
Last day of exams was May 8 in 2020 for the older daughter. The timing made perfect sense to me but there is no way I can say who planned the getaway. Could have been the daughters just as easy as Barry or Suzanne. I think we'll find out eventually especially if the daughters "being away" is part of the circumstantial timeline for the prosecution.
Not so much the exams as Mother's Day that has me puzzled, after their traumatic family health journey. No reflection on the daughters at all, each to their own and we can only speculate as to who organised it. My speculation is it was BM.

Agree -- It is a bit odd, IMO, to go that far for a camp-out weekend -- the travel time would almost equal the camping time (yes, a stretch, but hours on a plane, and the hours to wait to board the plane, and the return trip -- it's a drag, at least for me...), but I'm not a "youngster" any more. :rolleyes:
Ha, me neither and over here a two hour journey is a Road Trip :D

One small point: the Judge did not agree “they had the facts to nail him”. The Judge determined that IF THE SWORN FACTS WERE PROVEN TO BE TRUE AT TRIAL, they will have nailed him.

Yes - you are right, much better way of putting it. "If these facts are shown at trial, he did the crimes he is accused of."

But the Judge clearly felt that the facts sworn to by LE were super good enough for the purpose of arrest.

I agree with this....but with premeditation...there seems to be a need for motive, i.e. girlfriend, money or simply a new life. While motive does not in and of itself need to be proven, the act of planning to kill requires some specific reasoning to explain its existance. A 'heat of the moment" wouldn't include the same ingredients, imo..

It can also be "I simply can't stand this person any more and would nearly anything to be away from them; in fact it would be better if they just died..." (then more thoughts enter in - that's premeditation as well).

The Covid loan is interesting given the sparse information out there. Nothing is fact, but so far it did not appear that Barry had actual employees. It seemed they were 1099s. If so, who were the 9 employees listed? Who did the paperwork-Barry or an accountant? Was Barry in need of the money quickly and applied, knowing he would have to pay it back in the future because he did not dole it out in payroll? Was Barry being above board when he applied for the PPE loan? What other programs did he avail himself of-was there a maze of foundations, LLCs, farms, moving money, short sales?
I think it helps give us an accurate picture of their lives.
A man who attempted to vote for his murdered wife, is the exact same type of person who would commit fraud. I cannot imagine that there is an innocent/legitimate explanation for that loan.

<modsnip>

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members