SC - Stephen Smith, 19, homicide, Hampton Co, 9 Jul 2015 *new death investigation 2023*

And three miles from his car.
I'm trying to find the link on here that said one of the tips was 3 people who possibly did this to Steven Smith, one of them being Buster M. Now they had the names of all 3 people. Were they ever questioned? Did they ever take DNA from them and compare it to DNA on Smith?

I'm trying to find the link on here that said one of the tips was 3 people who possibly did this to Steven Smith, one of them being Buster M. Now they had the names of all 3 people. Were they ever questioned? Did they ever take DNA from them and compare it to DNA on Smith?
From what I read, they questioned one of the guys and the details are on one of the news links above.
I have not seen anywhere if the Murdaugh boy and the other one were ever questioned or if any DNA was taken from any of them.
Sheesh-- you would think they would at least do that so they would have DNA to compare with.
This land of the "Good ole Boys club" sure messed these cases up.
And these are just ones we know of... I am sure there are many others.
JMO

From what I read, they questioned one of the guys and the details are on one of the news links above.
I have not seen anywhere if the Murdaugh boy and the other one were ever questioned or if any DNA was taken from any of them.
Sheesh-- you would think they would at least do that so they would have DNA to compare with.
This land of the "Good ole Boys club" sure messed these cases up.
And these are just ones we know of... I am sure there are many others.
JMO
Are you referring to the stepson? This was a group of three that someone called in the tip about and it mentioned all three names including Buster M.

The Murdaugh family refused to comply with the Smith investigation. Upthread^^

Stephen's Mom said she's never suspected Buster. That he was a sweet boy, very kind-hearted.
The wealthy boy that Stephen had a fling with and was supposed to go on a deep sea fishing trip with might not be complicit in his death but the lack of any statement having been made by that unknown person suggests a connection. Stephen's mother certainly thinks so.

The wealthy boy that Stephen had a fling with and was supposed to go on a deep sea fishing trip with might not be complicit in his death but the lack of any statement having been made by that unknown person suggests a connection. Stephen's mother certainly thinks so.
Anybody see deep sea fishing mentioned on anyone's social media as a sport they were into?

“Deep sea fishing”

This has stood out to me.

There is more then one meaning.

Stephen's Mom said she's never suspected Buster. That he was a sweet boy, very kind-hearted.

If this is a accurate quote from the article…(I can’t read it) then, in fairness and accuracy, I hope the media makes this well known. The reporting has left an ‘impression’ of involvement with this family. We have no idea of both PM and BM have foolproof alibis. or not. We just don’t know. It’s important for balance that this statement from the grieving Mother be as widespread by the media…as innuendo guessing that the M boys are involved.

The DM article only states speculation, essentially rumor about the M boys. It actually just comes down to…’their names were mentioned.’ How credible were the people doing the ‘mentioning?’ Was this “I heard from a friend who heard it from a friend that…maybe…”

Then that’s just gossip.

Unless someone has seen some better reporting of linkage that I have not.

With a family of lawyers, unless there was some hard evidence, maybe the family did assert their rights not to have their son..or sons questioned. We may dislike that choice, but that doesn’t mean they are guilty of anything . Has anyone seen anything other than rumor that pulls PM into this death?

On the other hand, the handling of this young’s man’s death was atrocious. Whether it was conspiracy or negligence, it seems like there are a lot of hard questions to be answered as to decisions made. IMO, it’s a murder and should never have just been swept aside.

I do think all the gossip about this family over the years…whether true or not…could inspire a murderous rage. If false, thus reporting is an extra burden on their grief now. If true, well, looks like all past misdeeds are about to come unraveled.

Last edited:
Not coming forward as a teenager to admit a homosexual relationship or just exploring one’s sexuality with a willing friend…in a small SC community…may have been about desire for privacy or fear of ‘coming out’…and should not be used to imply involvement in the death.

My only point here is to hold the media to task and be fair about what we know and what bad reporting might lead us to think we know.

If this is a accurate quote from the article…(I can’t read it) then, in fairness and accuracy, I hope the media makes this well known. The reporting has left an ‘impression’ of involvement with this family. We have no idea of both PM and BM have foolproof alibis. or not. We just don’t know. It’s important for balance that this statement from the grieving Mother be as widespread by the media…as innuendo guessing that the M boys are involved.

The DM article only states speculation, essentially rumor about the M boys. It actually just comes down to…’their names were mentioned.’ How credible were the people doing the ‘mentioning?’ Was this “I heard from a friend who heard it from a friend that…maybe…”

Then that’s just gossip.

Unless someone has seen some better reporting of linkage that I have not.

With a family of lawyers, unless there was some hard evidence, maybe the family did assert their rights not to have their son..or sons questioned. We may dislike that choice, but that doesn’t mean they are guilty of anything . Has anyone seen anything other than rumor that pulls PM into this death?

On the other hand, the handling of this young’s man’s death was atrocious. Whether it was conspiracy or negligence, it seems like there are a lot of hard questions to be answered as to decisions made. IMO, it’s a murder and should never have just been swept aside.

I do think all the gossip about this family over the years…whether true or not…could inspire a murderous rage. If false, thus reporting is an extra burden on their grief now. If true, well, looks like all past misdeeds are about to come unraveled.
What I spoke of is behind a paywall now for me. Sandy Smith said kind words about Buster. She has a good opinion of his nature. Then she went on to say he was nothing like his brother Paul, they were very different in actions and demeanor...all paraphrasing.

Sounds like Stephen had been greatly tormented in his young, short life. If you're just one of those who are afraid of the unknown or darkness , the woods wouldn't be a place to hide. If you're fearful from others hurtful judgement, you would run from the roadway and hide in the woods. It's so horrible this kid was so fearful.

"He called his sister one night he ran out of gas and he hid in the woods and would not come out until he was sure it was her. We know for a fact it was not a hit and run. Stephen would not have been in the roadway," said Sandy

Lowcountry mom's first Thanksgiving without son

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GravityHurts