AMBER ALERT TN - Summer Moon-Utah Wells, 5, Rogersville, 15 Jun 2021 #4

Status
Not open for further replies.
New to this case. I've read just about every post on all of the boards. I can't find anything about the grandmother and she would have had a front row seat to this situation if Summer disappeared soon after planting flowers with her and her mother. Was the g'ma at the vigil? Has she done a public plea for the return of her grandbaby in the absence of the mother being able to? It's odd to me (just odd, don't read nefarious things into it) that the dad had a child (the son) on TV with him as support instead of the g'ma, or his wife, or another adult. The dad certainly wouldn't need the child with him to protect him from the media (ie. hard questions) as the dad is in no way thought to be involved & the media is being very kind and helpful to him. Please add all the alphabet soup here: IMO, MOO, etc. as I'm not a frequent poster and might miss one! Prayers for this precious child.

It is possible that both stories of the walk and planting flowers is true. She could be missing for more time than they think. The family members were most likely doing several things over a period of time before they realized she was missing and they are not exactly sure how long she has been gone.

My opinion only of course, but I’m actually not suspecting the parents or family here. I’m just starting to suspect that she’s not in that area of woods that has been searched and re-searched and was taken elsewhere. By who I have no clue.

I respect that. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on why the timeline is so horribly muddled, though. Either the family members who were there saw her at a certain time or they didn't. They either know when they last saw her, or they don't. If they don't, wouldn't they tell LE enforcement that ? Maybe Grandma wasn't paying attention, maybe Mom took a walk or fell asleep or who knows what...but why not be forthcoming about it ? Or do you think the family members were being forthcoming and maybe there's some other reason for the inconsistent timeline.

Not trying to put you on the spot or anything, I'm just genuinely curious if you have any thoughts about that.

It is possible that both stories of the walk and planting flowers is true. She could be missing for more time than they think. The family members were most likely doing several things over a period of time before they realized she was missing and they are not exactly sure how long she has been gone.

But then why does the 911 dispatch call say the parents reported that she couldn't have been missing for more than 10 minutes ( prior to 6:30). And the Ambert Alert page say that she was last seen shortly before 6 pm by one of the boys. And LE say that she was last seen in the early afternoon ?

I'm just really struggling to make sense of this timeline.

I respect that. I'm curious to hear your thoughts on why the timeline is so horribly muddled, though. Either the family members who were there saw her at a certain time or they didn't. They either know when they last saw her, or they don't. If they don't, wouldn't they tell LE enforcement that ? Maybe Grandma wasn't paying attention, maybe Mom took a walk or fell asleep or who knows what...but why not be forthcoming about it ? Or do you think the family members were being forthcoming and maybe there's some other reason for the inconsistent timeline.

Not trying to put you on the spot or anything, I'm just genuinely curious if you have any thoughts about that.
I do suspect they are not sure of exactly how long she had been missing because they were distracted doing several things and maybe thinking someone else had been looking after her.

But then why doesn't the 911 dispatch call say the parents reported that she couldn't have been missing for more than 10 minutes ( prior to 6:30). And LE say that she was last seen in the early afternoon ?

I'm just really struggling to make sense of this timeline.
Perhaps they were afraid of being accused of neglect not knowing how long she had been gone.

Your post has me thinking back to Sam Olson’s case. The timeline was very hard to follow as initial information came out. At one point, LE made a statement that their timeline being shared was the last time the child was seen by someone outside of the family since no one seemed to know where the child was.

I wonder, if there is some of that going on with timelines. The early afternoon, could possibly be when someone outside of the family/residence last saw the child. JMO/Just a possibility

Not sure if this description of the red truck has been posted..apologies if it has...

“We have been working around the clock to identify anyone who may have been in the area around the time 5-year-old Summer Wells disappeared to determine what they may have seen or heard, no matter how insignificant it may have seemed to them at the time. Every detail is important,” officials said.

The driver was in a pickup truck, either a red or maroon Toyota Tacoma from the late ‘90s or 2000 with a full bed ladder rack along with white buckets in the truck bed.

Tennessee investigators searching for ‘potential witness’ near disappearance of missing 5-year-old Summer Wells

Once again, I will not point fingers, however, I am the suspicious type.

Tee, the woman accused of murdering Gannon, with her back to the camera, flat out lied. If one assumes her guilt, she had already killed him, and stood there and lied through her teeth.

Killers don't play by good folks' rules.

But she was such a bad liar. It was painful to watch and listen to her. Some people are pretty good and some people are very good at it. I've met a lot of them.

The Dad, DW, has spoken to reporters several times and he comes across as fairly transparent, IMO. Except for the timeline. Why has he not cleared up the discrepancies? I don’t get it.

They don’t find anything because in my opinion she is not there! She never went into the woods - barefoot? Think again people, a little child could only walk a few meters until it hurt too much! Like the Father mentioned over again she doesn’t go into the woods!!
Someone has her- check on all the visitors who came to the house ! Don’t suspect the parents before you have proof - unfair and un-American!
MOP

I agree with you that she wouldn't get far into the woods on her own. Still, LE is doing grid searches like Summer's life depends on it.

Maybe someone put her in there. Maybe suspicious digital activity brings them there. Maybe they've already found something that keeps them looking there.

HAWKINS COUNTY, Tenn. (WJHL) — A release from Incident Commander Tim Coup says crews are “scaling back search operations” for Summer Wells, the 5-year-old from Hawkins County who has been missing since June 15.

Coup says search efforts will continue on a more specialized team basis as needed and directed from local, state and federal agencies.

He also says search crews are physically and mentally exhausted from the rough terrain and extreme conditions.

Reportedly, the search will draw resources from Middle and West Tennessee and other states to bring a “fresh set of eyes and rested bodies.” Officials say they will still rely on local and regional resources as well.

“Just because we may not be seen as such a large present in and throughout the area, rest assured that we have not quit and won’t quit until we find Summer Wells,” Coup says in the release.

The release also included the following information about the search:

Crews ‘scaling back’ search for Summer Wells | WJHL | Tri-Cities News & Weather

Your post has me thinking back to Sam Olson’s case. The timeline was very hard to follow as initial information came out. At one point, LE made a statement that their timeline being shared was the last time the child was seen by someone outside of the family since no one seemed to know where the child was.

I wonder, if there is some of that going on with timelines. The early afternoon, could possibly be when someone outside of the family/residence last saw the child. JMO/Just a possibility

That's exactly my thinking as well, Tiff. I assume that "early afternoon" sighting is coming from a non-family member who was swimming with them that day. (Can I say that ?) And that leads me to the conclusion, IMO that LE may not find the timeline being given by family members to be credible. What I can't seem to wrap my head around is how can all those people (Grandma, Mom, 3 boys) be giving what appear to be IMO conflicting accounts. The boys I can maybe understand...they are children. But surely 2 adults can give a reasonable account of events to LE. They either saw Summer or they didn't. They either know when they last saw her or they don't. <modsnip>

I mean, I'm trying VERY hard to find some reason to give these adults the benefit of the doubt, but honestly, I'm coming up short in that endeavor at this point.

Last edited:
BREAKING: Crews announce they are 'scaling back' the search for Summer Wells, the 5-year-old missing from Hawkins County since June 15.

“Just because we may not be seen as such a large present in and throughout the area, rest assured that we have not quit and won’t quit until we find Summer Wells,” Coup says in the release.

The release also included the following information about the search:
  • The search has utilized over 120 agencies from Tennessee, Ohio, Virginia, Alabama, Georgia and North Carolina
  • Since June 15, 1,150 searches have covered the ground
  • Over 13,800 search hours have been logged
  • TBI fixed wing flew 21.2 hours
  • The THP helicopter logged 30 hours of flight.
  • Numerous specialized search and rescue groups include (but are not limited to): TN Task Force 2, BURSAR, Appalachian Mountain Rescue, Black Diamond, SCSAR, Central Carolina SAR, Great Smokey Mountain National Park, RATSAR, Search and Rescue Tracking Institute and numerous K-9 Teams
  • To date, 4.6 square miles (over 3,000 acres) have been searched since Summer went missing.
Crews ‘scaling back’ search for Summer Wells | WJHL | Tri-Cities News & Weather

Last edited:
As someone who hikes these woods and knows them well, I have said this from the start. It is simply not possible to do it barefoot. Even if Summer had shoes on, she wouldn't have gotten far. You have to have built up endurance and muscle mass to keep up a decent pace. Even with that kind of physical training it's exhausting. And we're talking about a slender 5 year old girl here. I'm nobody really, so I get why some people won't take my word for it, but listen to what these searchers are saying. They will tell you everything you need to know about how likely it is that Summer made it far in this kind of terrain. Barefoot or otherwise. Now, I am not saying Summer isn't in those woods, she well may be. But if she is, I don't think she walked there.

JMO
"Wandering off" is not a likely explanation, IMO. Actually a younger child might "wander off", we've seen it, in different habitat, but a savvy outdoorsy 5 year old like Summer would know where she is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member