SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have much more basic prob w this case than you all - I cannot keep these same-names apart. Who are all these people!!

Alex Murdaugh, an atty (in private practice?) who served as a volunteer atty with the solicitors office - is this the husband of MM / father of PM who found them?? Or is that a diff AM?

Randolph Murdaugh, retired as solicitor but still consulting w his replacement as recently as this year … is this the elder mr M, grandfather of PM, who died shortly after the double murder? Or is this brother Randy M, or even yet another Randy M??

This should help -

SC - Paul Murdaugh,22 & Mom Margaret,52, 7 June 2021 *Media, Maps, Timeline-NO DISCUSSION*

According to county property records, Alex Murdaugh sold the tract to his wife, Margaret, for $5 in December 2016.

2 members of prominent SC legal family shot dead in Colleton County

Then 19 years old, the Murdaugh family scion was accused of being drunk while piloting a boat on Feb. 24, 2019, that crashed into Archer's Creek Bridge in Beaufort County.

The body of 19-year-old Stephen Smith was found in the middle of Sandy Run Road early on the morning of July 8, 2015, according to the full report from the Highway Patrol’s Multidisciplinary Accident Investigation Team.

Investigative reports reveal search for clues in reopened 2015 hit-and-run case

Mike Moseley, the owner of Hot Shots Billiards Club, said he had gone to school with Randy and Alex Murdaugh. Moseley had helped construct Alex Murdaugh’s house on Holly Street in Hampton, which was sold last April.

Jun 9, 2021

Rumors swirl about double homicide involving SC law family. Some details begin to emerge.

Mrs. Gloria Harriott Satterfield, 57, of Furman, passed away Monday, February 26, 2018 at Trident Medical Center. She was the widow of David Michael Satterfield.

Obituary for Gloria Satterfield | Brice W. Herndon and Sons Funeral Home

Interesting letter to the editor in 2019 from an alcohol and drug counselor for 23 yrs…. referencing the Murdaugh “clout.” Summation of advice…‘don’t love your children to death.’

‘I am unaware of a difference between BUI and DUI charges resulting in death and alcohol monitoring. It wasn’t even brought up that Paul had a prior citation from SCDNR for possession/purchase of beer and wine by a minor. I am confused about what Paul learned in the alcohol diversion program the article said he completed.

Can’t understand why the 17-year-old accused of killing another teen while DUI the same week of Murdaugh’s hearing has to wear an alcohol-detecting ankle monitor while awaiting trial but Paul does not.’

Read more here: https://www.thestate.com/opinion/letters-to-the-editor/article233339902.html#storylink=cpy

The difference being that things are dealt with for well connected people in a more comfortable fashion that with regular people. It happens all the time if possible, meaning not too much public scrutiny. There should have been blood taken and tested if PM went to the hospital but notice that didn’t seem to happen either.

Anyone else wonder why only AM appeared to be with his parents that evening, took his father to the hospital, checking on his mom, then went home around 10PM? He called his brothers after he found his wife and son shot dead. Where were the brothers earlier that evening? One of the brothers said he was "out shooting", according to the GMA interview, and didn't immediately answer his phone when AM called. If their father was so sick and in his final days, wouldn't all 3 brothers be around/available? I know family dynamics are all different, but this just has me wondering about the events/timing that evening.

Anyone else wonder why only AM appeared to be with his parents that evening, took his father to the hospital, checking on his mom, then went home around 10PM? He called his brothers after he found his wife and son shot dead. Where were the brothers earlier that evening? One of the brothers said he was "out shooting", according to the GMA interview, and didn't immediately answer his phone when AM called. If their father was so sick and in his final days, wouldn't all 3 brothers be around/available? I know family dynamics are all different, but this just has me wondering about the events/timing that evening.

We don't know if the brothers were there during the day, if they had a schedule, and why AM was there that night. According to reports, RM3 was terminally ill with cancer. Perhaps he had a different medical emergency that night and AM was closest to take him to the hospital. And hospital visiting hours might have ended at 9pm or so. Lots of unknowns but all totally irrelevant if AM and his brothers are not involved in the murders.

We don't know if the brothers were there during the day, if they had a schedule, and why AM was there that night. According to reports, RM3 was terminally ill with cancer. Perhaps he had a different medical emergency that night and AM was closest to take him to the hospital. And hospital visiting hours might have ended at 9pm or so. Lots of unknowns but all totally irrelevant if AM and his brothers are not involved in the murders.
I'm not convinced anything or anyone is irrelevant or ruled out at this point.

I don’t agree that this shutdown of even the most basic facts…is preventing rumor and speculation. IMO it is doing the opposite. It’s feeding the rumor mill…because so many things are “possible.” I must agree with PinkinaBlueworld…nothing is really ruled out.

It’s also feeding into this speculation of special treatment, coming 0n top of questions about the way PM was treated in the boat crash case. Now, this may be completely unfair, but it begs the question…if ALL this secrecy is just in the best interest of the case…have other murders in those 5 counties been treated JUST LIKE this?

Remember we have been told there is no danger to the public…so the silent treatment is not for our safety…because some deranged killers are at large….and apprehending them means keeping all info secret till they do.

No. Don’t think so.

“Building a case?’ The basic information from the crime scene doesn’t change. It is…what it is. Are they fearful of false confessions?

If they want ‘tips’…tell us where MM and PM spent the day. Maybe someone saw something that could have been significant…in Columbia.

Final thought, I hope at some point…reporters interview the Judge in the boating case and the woman who did SS’s autopsy. I’d love to hear them explain their professional decisions.

Just opinion, as always.

Last edited:
I don’t agree that this shutdown of even the most basic facts…is preventing rumor and speculation. IMO it is doing the opposite. It’s feeding the rumor mill…because so many things are “possible.” I must agree with PinkinaBlueworld…nothing is really ruled out.

It’s also feeding into this speculation of special treatment, coming 0n top of questions about the way PM was treated in the boat crash case. Now, this may be completely unfair, but it begs the question…if ALL this secrecy is just in the best interest of the case…have other murders in those 5 counties been treated JUST LIKE this?

Remember we have been told there is no danger to the public…so the silent treatment is not for our safety…because some deranged killers are at large….and apprehending them means keeping all info secret till they do.

No. Don’t think so.

“Building a case?’ The basic information from the crime scene doesn’t change. It is…what it is. Are they fearful of false confessions?

If they want ‘tips’…tell us where MM and PM spent the day. Maybe someone saw something that could have been significant…in Columbia.

Final thought, I hope at some point…reporters interview the Judge in the boating case and the woman who did SS’s autopsy. I’d love to hear them explain their professional decisions.

Just opinion, as always.

I don't think SLED gives a damn about rumor and speculation. They care about preserving the integrity of the investigation and solving the crimes. All tips to date are being checked out and that is time consuming.

Most likely, we will see a press conference with an update on the investigation this week or next.

JMO

4578.gif
6624.gif
4574.gif

HAPPY INDEPENDENCE DAY!!

Last edited:

No. Don’t think so.

Just opinion, as always.

It’s been a month since this happened. That’s a considerable amount of time for the very few publicized details we have.

Some hospitals are allowing only one designated family member to visit a family member due to the ongoing pandemic.
I thought an earlier post stated COD was natural causes.
It’s hard to keep up with all the names, initials, etc.

As a dil I stayed w/ mil after she was out of hospital.

I wonder if Maggie stayed with her mil while AM took RM to hospital. And PM was where ever he wanted to be.

Possible PM was killed before MM got to the house, once AM was close to being back or back at his mom’s, MM may have went ahead to fix something to eat after long day.

As a dil I stayed w/ mil after she was out of hospital.

I wonder if Maggie stayed with her mil while AM took RM to hospital. And PM was where ever he wanted to be.

Possible PM was killed before MM got to the house, once AM was close to being back or back at his mom’s, MM may have went ahead to fix something to eat after long day.

BBM:

Well, if that's true, it would completely debunk the theory that PM was the sole intended target.

If PM was the sole intended target, the killers would have left immediately after murdering him, not hung around waiting for MM to arrive back home.

FWIW, I don't think that will prove to the case here.

I think PM and MM were likely killed within seconds of each other.

To me, all signs strongly point to this being an inside job.

JMO.

Can’t understand why the 17-year-old accused of killing another teen while DUI the same week of Murdaugh’s hearing has to wear an alcohol-detecting ankle monitor while awaiting trial but Paul does not.’

It is natural for parents to support their children through thick and thin. Thus, it is not surprising that AM rode to the rescue.

The only difference between AM and many other parents is that his "cavalry" is better far larger and far more effective. Cavalry aside, symbolism matters. Furthermore, in the days of social media, special treatment gets broadcast far and wide.

Thus, why not dial down the cavalry? For example let the story be:

"PM is shocked and grieving at what happened (probably not that much, but it sounds good). Pursuant to his parole the judge imposed several constraints on him, including the need to wear an ankle monitor (fine print: Our skilled lawyers negotiated several exceptions to those constraints- but those are not public).

Now that its become clear that PM was driving, he is willing to take responsibility (fine print: very reluctantly) He, however, did not throttle the boat and was shocked by the irresponsible acceleration (yeah right).

PM is willing to plead guilty before a Court and will be doing so shortly. He expects to be sentenced to confinement (fine print: Our team of discreet high dollar attorneys and the mercy minded judge will ensure that his jail time is minimal and served at a juvenile work farm). PM is needed there to teach literacy classes to wayward youth.

Last edited:

It is natural for parents to support their children through thick and thin. Thus, it is not surprising that AM rode to the rescue.

The only difference between AM and many other parents is that his "cavalry" is better far larger and far more effective. Cavalry aside, symbolism matters. Furthermore, in the days of social media, special treatment gets broadcast far and wide.

Thus, why not dial down the cavalry? For example let the story be:

"PM is shocked and grieving at what happened (probably not that much). Pursuant to his bond, the judge imposed several constraints on him, including the need to wear an ankle monitor (fine print: Our skilled lawyers negotiated several exceptions to those constraints- but those are not public).

Now that its become clear that PM was driving, he is willing to take responsibility (fine print: very reluctantly) He, however, did not throttle the boat and was shocked by the irresponsible acceleration- we implore that person to come forward (yeah right).

In repentance, PM is willing to plead guilty before a Court and will be doing so shortly. He expects to be sentenced to confinement (fine print: Our team of discreet high dollar attorneys and the mercy minded judge will ensure that the time actually served is minimal and served at a very safe and low key facility for aging prisoners.

PM has always been community minded and is oh soo desperately needed there to teach literacy classes (fineprint: unprintable, but sounds good)

Last edited:
It’s obvious that a lot of people who wield power in that area ‘didn’t give a damn’ about rumor and speculation and that may have laid the groundwork for the rage that festered into this tragedy.

For the very few that have spoke out in a positive way about the family, makes me think the others may be of the mindset.

If you can’t say something nice, don’t say anything at all.

By age 19, PM allegedly had already been thru one alcohol diversionary program when the boating accident happened and MB died.

His treatment of his long term girlfriend, as described in the depositions, included slapping her, pushing her, and spitting on her. Think about THAT for awhile.

In the same depositions, PM’s departure from the bar included an incident where he pushed over a chair in anger and almost got into a confrontation with a stranger, but his friend intervened.

His friends describe him as having a nasty alter ego “Timmy” who emerged when he was drunk.

Does anyone think that, burdened with ‘Timmy’, PM was headed for a happy, successful life?

In my opinion, PM really needed help…and not a legal posse cleaning up his mess.

‘Riding to his rescue” would have included getting him help with alcohol issues, anger issues, behavioral issues.

Maybe they were doing that. I hope so.

If not…I think the person who wrote that letter had the perfect epitaph for him…”They loved him to death.”

My opinions only.

By age 19, PM allegedly had already been thru one alcohol diversionary program when the boating accident happened and MB died.

His treatment of his long term girlfriend, as described in the depositions, included slapping her, pushing her, and spitting on her. Think about THAT for awhile.

In the same depositions, PM’s departure from the bar included an incident where he pushed over a chair in anger and almost got into a confrontation with a stranger, but his friend intervened.

His friends describe him as having a nasty alter ego “Timmy” who emerged when he was drunk.

Does anyone think that, burdened with ‘Timmy’, PM was headed for a happy, successful life?

In my opinion, PM really needed help…and not a legal posse cleaning up his mess.

‘Riding to his rescue” would have included getting him help with alcohol issues, anger issues, behavioral issues.

Maybe they were doing that. I hope so.

If not…I think the person who wrote that letter had the perfect epitaph for him…”They loved him to death.”

My opinions only.

Agree.

What letter? Missed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads