FL- 12 Story Condo Partial Building Collapse, many still unaccounted for, Miami, 24 June 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
The National Desk on Facebook has a live shot and bunches of workers already on site at the street corner. They are doing gas and water and sewer and other utility inspections per scanner feed.

ETA: Per scanner, now doing hazmat checks updates.

ETA #2: Per scanner, Clearance from utilities complete, hazmat to coordinate for structural assessment team. Then will wet down the pile. Working to final clearance for workers to come back in.

Last edited:
On this feed from The Sun, if you rewind you can see someone come from the beach less than 3 minutes after the demolition with a flashlight focusing to inspection on the wall next to the newer building next door. And within 5 minutes, a drone flies in.

None of these families will ever want to celebrate Fourth of July again. Sad the demo had to be on a major holiday.

That's for sure, but it just couldn't be helped. With the collapse on June 24th, every minute since spent searching for the lost, and a potential hurricane on the way, it had to be done now. It certainly will be a painful reminder when everyone else is watching fireworks on future July 4ths. Tragedy never comes conveniently.

I cannot fathom how painful it was for the families to watch their homes disappear. I'm sure though that everyone who lived in that part of the condo towers is grateful to have escaped with their lives, and I hope and pray this tower being demolished enables the searchers to bring out the dead.

I was in some of the dust cloud on 9/11 and even though this was so much smaller than 220 stories collapsing and thousands dead, I found this very triggering to watch.

I admire the skill of the people who do this demolition work. It must have been risky for whomever had to go inside that building to strategically set up the explosive charges.

Are they still terming this search and rescue, rather than search and recovery? IMO it would be much better for the families of the missing/dead to have their loved ones recovered sooner, and if this was a necessary step then I'm glad it's done. Very painful, though.

Bless them for looking and trying.
For me. If I survived, yet my beloved animal was trapped all these days, I would be inconsolable. When I look at that pancaked building, I don't see how anyone, two or four legged could have survived without a miracle.
Moo
@WendyRhodesFl

BREAKING: NO pets located, per
@MayorDaniella

@Lenasalzbank

PET STATUS Miami Dade officials have conducted three full sweeps including under beds and in closets, they have also used thermal imaging over the rubble pile and in the remaining tower to look for animals
@CBS12

On the Sun stream from above, we now have at least 10-15 folks with flashlights on the decking and old pile walking around. (Hazmat/Assessment /Structural Engineer guys I would guess)

ETA: Per scanner - They are now clearing fire trucks and battalions etc (they were sent in in case needed for aid during demo... not the search and rescue folks)

ETA #2: Per Sun livestream above - The 10-15 folks are now exiting by the pool.

ETA #3: Per scanner - (11:45 pm) Alpha Construction is to remove the tarp soon. (Was put on old pile to separate from new debris field, as 1/3rd of the old pile was never searched due to danger when building was standing) Awaiting final clearance on air sampling (nothing noted so far as an issue). ETA 5-10 minutes.

ETA #4: 11:48 pm...Hazmat has one issue... Was transformer drained of oil prior to implosion? .... should not interfere with operations at this time. Structural has cleared etc.

ETA #5: 11:50. 80 minutes post collapse......Clear to go in now and do a game plan. It's a GO... for the first phase of planners to begin resumption of search and rescue/recovery operation.

ETA #6: ALL CLEAR Approval have been given at 11:57 pm for Hydrocleaner operation (wetting down) and tarp removal ..to be done first.

Outta here now for the night. May those affected be in our thoughts and prayers............ Night all. (For those that want to follow... Sun YouTube for visual and YouTube that has the scanner is above here in this page if you want to follow overnight efforts)..........and this is media by NYT that is doing a rolling update.(and has a haunting photo MOO).. Live Updates: Remaining Surfside Condo Structure Is Demolished

Last edited:
Could you imagine? A little over a week ago these families had homes, now mostly EVERYTHING they own is just GONE. Completely starting over. Where the hell will they go? So sad. :(

I had a similar experience when our house burned down, due to a wildfire. It was surreal, I remember being at Walmart, getting clothes, shoes, because we had nothing. And, I hated everyone around me, who was just shopping, having a "normal" day.

One thing, about losing every thing. You have an epiphany, that things really are "meaningless". But it takes awhile to get there.

Am I understanding correctly, that 2/3 of the first pile has been sifted through, but 121 people still remain missing?

Clarification MOO They had access to only 2/3 of the pile. They had not completed going through that 2/3 as will take weeks perhaps, and was not completely sifted through. MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam