Found Deceased VA - Bruce Rubin, 61, jogger, Primland Resort, Patrick Co., 2 July 2021

Checking on Bruce today and I don't see anything new in the media.

I wonder if Bruce had a cell phone on him? My husband is a cyclist and uses the Strava app to map his ride. Strava is also used by runners and swimmers. It would seem logical a guest would use such an app to track his run, especially if he is not as familiar with the routes and terrain.

Also, I can't find anything about where Bruce lives or what he might do for a career. Did I miss it? That information might be helpful since we can rule anything out at this point.

Also, I can't find anything about where Bruce lives or what he might do for a career. Did I miss it? That information might be helpful since we can rule anything out at this point.
<snipped>

Yes about the cell - he did have one with him per post #13 by @ClaireNC (I had asked too lol)

I haven't found anything about him either. But I did see a result sheet for a trail run in NY from 2019 with a man with that name who finished in 139th place.

Of course I have no idea if it's the same guy, and I'm only giving it a little credence because that BR was age 59 at the time of the run in 2019, so that would match closely with this BR being age 61 in 2021.

But maybe this Bruce going for a jog in the woods would be a normal activity:

2019 Breakneck Point Trail Runs 21K - Results

Last edited:
Checking on Bruce today and I don't see anything new in the media.

I wonder if Bruce had a cell phone on him? My husband is a cyclist and uses the Strava app to map his ride. Strava is also used by runners and swimmers. It would seem logical a guest would use such an app to track his run, especially if he is not as familiar with the routes and terrain.

The thing about using an app,does it require cell service to use GPS tracking? If so,there would be an issue with that. The is very limited cell service on the mountain out here near primland. My mother's home is actually right next to the guard cabin and entrance to primland. And from the things I have heard and seen since his disappearance, I'm thinking he has wanted to disappear for one reason or another. With all the dogs,the foot ground search by grids,he is nowhere to be found. I believe he is either in the reservoir that is next to primland, or he has left the property all together for one reason or another.

The area where they could be using ropes is right next to reservoir owned by the city of Danville. There are 2 dams up here that are owned by the city.the upper dam as they calll it,has a reservoir that is a border of primlands property

I was looking at a map yesterday, up where the Dan River starts, amazing you should mention the dam. I think Danville has plans to close the power plant in the future.

Yes, I've stayed here several times. They rent large houses. Great for family get togethers, girl/guy weekend, birthday parties. Cell service is iffy and we never head into the wilderness.

Are they still searching? Did anyone mention where he is from? They showed a woman in the flyer.

So many questions.

I bet your mom's has a view. This area is spectacular and one of the best communities to live.

Moo

I was looking at a map yesterday, up where the Dan River starts, amazing you should mention the dam. I think Danville has plans to close the power plant in the future.

Yes, I've stayed here several times. They rent large houses. Great for family get togethers, girl/guy weekend, birthday parties. Cell service is iffy and we never head into the wilderness.

Are they still searching? Did anyone mention where he is from? They showed a woman in the flyer.

So many questions.

I bet your mom's has a view. This area is spectacular and one of the best communities to live.

Moo
I just read yesterday that the city of Danville is planning to sell the power plant to a private hydro electric company. And yes the views are breathtaking here! From what I understand the woman in the photo with him is his wife, and that this was there anniversary weekend here.

Moo...This is a renowned resort and maybe why the Sheriff remains silent.

I do know the bears are out in full force and bigger than ever. With less human traffic in our wildlife regions, the animals had free reign of mother earth for a year.

Hoping they find him soon.

Moo

<modsnip>

My husband and I were guests at Primland this past weekend, and I can tell you that all of the guests were stricken with worry for Bruce, and the resort was discreetly doing everything it could do for the search efforts. They closed one of their two restaurants and cancelled events in order to divert staff, facilities and resources to the search and rescue operation.

My husband and I are avid hikers (we have hiked the Grand Canyon down and up), and we saved the most difficult hike for our last day which was yesterday. This was the Rooster Trail by the way. This trail appears to be the one your friend took when he initially left the resort. The search parties began there on Friday night (we saw their trucks at the end of the driving range nearby although we didn’t know at the time what the reason was). As my husband and I were hiking this trail yesterday, I did notice how most of the trail is right next to a very steep drop-off of hundreds of feet. There is also a lot of vegetation (trees, shrubs, vines and fallen trees) over the entire slope. As we got to the middle of the trail (about where the resort’s “Treehouses” are), we ran into a search party of about thirty men who were gathering before they set out on that trail and slope. We had seen many search and rescue personnel throughout the resort property on Saturday and Sunday. Yesterday (Monday), they appeared to be returning to the site of their initial search.

I pray that their efforts are successful. Please know that many of the guests and all of the Primland staff were on alert and deeply concerned about aiding in the rescue of your friend, Bruce. May God be with you and Bruce and his family.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ropes teams deployed in search for missing Primland Resort guest

"Because of the rugged terrain and great elevation changes, specialized ropes teams throughout the region are being utilized," Patrick County Sheriff Dan Smith said.
The VDEM is being assisted by multiple volunteer and fire-and-rescue agencies in Virginia and North Carolina, the Virginia State Police and the sheriff's offices of Patrick and Carroll counties.

A man from Dobson, N.C., died at the resort in 2010 when he fell more than 100 feet from the ledge of an overlook.

Welcome to Websleuths, @friendofbrucerubin and @designomnivore! Thanks to both of you for sharing your thoughts and concerns. Other sleuthers likely will be by to add any tidbits of info or advice they many have. My thoughts and prayers are going up for Bruce, his loved ones, and all who are searching. May God keep him safe and bring him home quickly.

@Trackergd, @K9Enzo @Oriah - Just thought I'd bring Bruce's thread to your attention. Do any of you have experience hiking/SAR efforts in this area? Although there are SAR teams out there, perhaps you have some nuggets of info you could share.

@designomnivore Thank you so so much for your input here. Questions: 1. We don't see a Rooster Trail listed on the property. Is it called something else? 2. How well marked is the trail? What are the chances he would get lost off that trail? 3. When you say there is all that debris, what did you mean by that? That he could slip or trip on it? It is so hard to sit and wait for an email that never comes.

First of all, I am so sorry for what you and all of Bruce's loved ones are going through. We have done technical searches in the past, and have even gone so far as to drop K9s (with handlers) into what would be considered treacherous areas. I only briefly know Bruces case, but at first blush it doesn't look to me like he left willingly. People do suffer medical situations that might have them disoriented, and therefore not where they were supposed to be, where they told us they were going, or where they want to be. When Bruce went out for this kind of run, did he typically stop (like to take a drink) or did he go out and finish the entire run, drinking along the way?

@Oriah Thanks for joining us.
@designomnivore Thank you so so much for your input here. Questions: 1. We don't see a Rooster Trail listed on the property. Is it called something else? 2. How well marked is the trail? What are the chances he would get lost off that trail? 3. When you say there is all that debris, what did you mean by that? That he could slip or trip on it? It is so hard to sit and wait for an email that never comes.

I've stayed here several times.

The trails are marked, but a person could easily become lost if they step off the trail. Once off the trail, there is lots of bush, vines , wild blackberry, and the ground is very steep.

It would be easy to slip and fall, leave the trail if an encounter with a bear or bear cubs.

The photo on these trails will give you and idea of the terrain .

https://www.alltrails.com/parks/us/virginia/primland-resort

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288
Back