TX TX - Jason Landry, 21, enroute from TSU to home, car found crashed at Luling, 14 Dec 2020 #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was interested into what other examples I could come up with (other than Richard and Barbara who come to my mind first) of people who were later found in an area that received an adequate search, in order to learn from these cases and apply them to Jason's case.
Here are a few examples; please let me know if you know of any more!

Richard Morris - search included police officers, volunteers, Hampshire S&R, police dogs, search of the river, CCTV searches, and drone searches. Nearly 4 months later, he was found in his usual running spot, Alice Holt Forest, which is just over 2000 acres (8+ square kilometers).
Barbara Thomas - I'm sure most of us remember her disappearance. The search was extensive and involved SARs, canines, helicopters, park rangers, and vehicles. Year and a half later, she was found in roughly the same area (I don't think exact parameters have ever been released).
Matthew Lang - went missing after a one-car accident. Jackson County SAR had 'scoured' the area for 3 weeks until they finally found his body in the lake, several hundred yards away from the site. It was suggested that they found him once putrefaction released enough gases to allow him to float, but it is still strange that they missed him initially as I'm sure him being in the lake was a possibility which was investigated.
Adre'Anna Jackson - was murdered/abducted when walking to school, 500 people were searching within the first day. 4 months later, her skeleton was found in an empty lot that was overrun with brambles. The lot was under 2 miles from her house, and about a mile away from the school she was trying to reach. We DO have answers of how she was missed - the police admitted they didn't search there because they would have had to cut through the brambles o_O. She could have been placed there later but we will never know for sure, because it wasn't searched. This is a good example of why SAR should search EVERYWHERE within a search parameter, despite how unlikely it is that the person would be there.
Lynn Messer - went missing from her rural farm property. The search was extensive, involving dogs, and covered around 5000 acres. 2 years later, about a mile from her house, near the border of a cow pasture (which did have heavy foliage), her remains were found. Regardless of how she got there (suicide vs foul play), ME does believe her body had not been moved.
Justin Evans - this is a Canadian case that is still breaking/releasing new info. While professional SAR was never brought on, police claim they searched the area surrounding the RV park (and presumably inside the park itself), used a canine, and took aerial footage. About 5 months later, his body was found in a swampy area that borders the RV park, about a 1000 feet away.
Holly Courtier - I'm sure many of this remember this one as well lol. Searches used LE, canines, helicopters, and drones. It's known to have cost 60k$. 12 days later, found close by to where she had gone missing from. I'm not CONFIDENT about her inclusion on my list as I don't think they could ever prove that Holly had not left the area (and many think she must have to get supplies).
Lisa Prescott - When initially went missing, had multi-agency searches done. 2 years later, an additional search for Lisa by Equusearch Midwest found her remains, only 1300 feet from her house. This is also a bit of an ~eh on the list, as it's possible family was involved and thus Lisa might not have been there the whole time.
What a well-researched and well-written post. I accept your premise that searches are far from infallible and maybe the SFR searches overlooked JL. Not my theory, but now I don’t rule it out.

I was interested into what other examples I could come up with (other than Richard and Barbara who come to my mind first) of people who were later found in an area that received an adequate search, in order to learn from these cases and apply them to Jason's case.

Richard Morris - search included police officers, volunteers, Hampshire S&R, police dogs, search of the river, CCTV searches, and drone searches. Nearly 4 months later, he was found in his usual running spot, Alice Holt Forest, which is just over 2000 acres (8+ square kilometers).
Barbara Thomas - I'm sure most of us remember her disappearance. The search was extensive and involved SARs, canines, helicopters, park rangers, and vehicles. Year and a half later, she was found in roughly the same area (I don't think exact parameters have ever been released).
Matthew Lang - went missing after a one-car accident. Jackson County SAR had 'scoured' the area for 3 weeks until they finally found his body in the lake, several hundred yards away from the site. It was suggested that they found him once putrefaction released enough gases to allow him to float, but it is still strange that they missed him initially as I'm sure him being in the lake was a possibility which was investigated.
Adre'Anna Jackson - was murdered/abducted when walking to school, 500 people were searching within the first day. 4 months later, her skeleton was found in an empty lot that was overrun with brambles. The lot was under 2 miles from her house, and about a mile away from the school she was trying to reach. We DO have answers of how she was missed - the police admitted they didn't search there because they would have had to cut through the brambles o_O. She could have been placed there later but we will never know for sure, because it wasn't searched. This is a good example of why SAR should search EVERYWHERE within a search parameter, despite how unlikely it is that the person would be there.
Lynn Messer - went missing from her rural farm property. The search was extensive, involving dogs, and covered around 5000 acres. 2 years later, about a mile from her house, near the border of a cow pasture (which did have heavy foliage), her remains were found. Regardless of how she got there (suicide vs foul play), ME does believe her body had not been moved.
Justin Evans - this is a Canadian case that is still breaking/releasing new info. While professional SAR was never brought on, police claim they searched the area surrounding the RV park (and presumably inside the park itself), used a canine, and took aerial footage. About 5 months later, his body was found in a swampy area that borders the RV park, about a 1000 feet away.
Holly Courtier - I'm sure many of this remember this one as well lol. Searches used LE, canines, helicopters, and drones. It's known to have cost 60k$. 12 days later, found close by to where she had gone missing from. I'm not CONFIDENT about her inclusion on my list as I don't think they could ever prove that Holly had not left the area (and many think she must have to get supplies).
Lisa Prescott - When initially went missing, had multi-agency searches done. 2 years later, an additional search for Lisa by Equusearch Midwest found her remains, only 1300 feet from her house. This is also a bit of an ~eh on the list, as it's possible family was involved and thus Lisa might not have been there the whole time.

Nathan Allen Heathco, 22 in Liberty County TX who was last seen walking away after a car crash. A fisherman found NH's body Sunday morning lying near a tributary that leads into the Trinity River near Private Road 442 in south Liberty County, according to the Liberty County Sheriff's Office. This area was just beyond the search perimeter covered by TES on Friday.

Jan 17, 2021 Body found amid search for missing Liberty Co. 22-year-old

Vicky Brantley was recently located in the exact location where she was last seen. According to the report on the Silver Alert issued she was last seen at Stonehenge Drive and Mulberry Lane in Greenville in a wooded area back in Dec 2020. Her remains were found in 18 June 2021 near Mulberry and Stonehenge Drive. According to this report, "Investigators say they are confident first responders searched the area where her remains were found numerous times."

Found Deceased - NC - Vicky Diane Brantley, 65, Greenville, Dec 2020 *dementia*

ETA - Great post, btw! TY for your efforts to find these. There are many more, I'm sure. Other sleuthers will likely have plenty of examples to share. Perhaps you should start a thread dedicated to this topic on a general discussion board.

Last edited:
Vicky Brantley was recently located in the exact location where she was last seen. According to the report on the Silver Alert issued she was last seen at Stonehenge Drive and Mulberry Lane in Greenville in a wooded area back in Dec 2020. Her remains were found in 18 June 2021 near Mulberry and Stonehenge Drive. According to this report, "Investigators say they are confident first responders searched the area where her remains were found numerous times."

Found Deceased - NC - Vicky Diane Brantley, 65, Greenville, Dec 2020 *dementia*

ETA - Great post, btw! TY for your efforts to find these. There are many more, I'm sure. Other sleuthers will likely have plenty of examples to share. Perhaps you should start a thread dedicated to this topic on a general discussion board.
Yes I vote for a thread on this topic as well!
Quite an interesting and well written
Beitrag !

Vanessa Guillen: Remains found in a previously-searched area 2 months after she was reported missing in April 2020.

Killing of Vanessa Guillén - Wikipedia
Holly Bobo's remains were found later in the woods where both air and ground searches had been conducted, as well as many volunteer searches. I believe it was a hunter who found the body, or at least part of it. Molly Tibbet's body was also found in an area previously searched. Imo

LE conducted multiple searches in the area around Book Road where Steven's abandoned car was found in May 2020. According to a report from yesterday, his remains were located a few weeks ago.

Found Deceased - PA - Steven C. Brode, 46 - New Paris, Huntingdon County - 30 April 2020

ETA - links

Last edited:
I thought that decomposing bodies had a very strong, unmistakable odor. How could all of those folks and their highly trained dogs not have hit on that? I know that night time temps were in the high 30's but that is not nearly cold enough to to halt decomposition. Is the smell of oil that strong around the site?

I thought that decomposing bodies had a very strong, unmistakable odor. How could all of those folks and their highly trained dogs not have hit on that? I know that night time temps were in the high 30's but that is not nearly cold enough to to halt decomposition. Is the smell of oil that strong around the site?
I think therein lies one of the biggest questions in this case; why haven't tracking dogs/cadaver dogs found anything in this case? I did some research and it's pretty much accepted fact that well-trained cadaver dogs are very effective, even if the remains are months old/all dried up, and they're effectiveness doesn't dip until conditions go under 4C (some even say below freezing is fine).
We know they've alerted a few times - they tracked a scent trail for about a quarter mile from the crash site, and others (I believe these were 2 separate instances?) alerted to a nearby pond, which was drained and nothing found. (On Jason Landry #1 forum people were also saying dogs tracked to an abandoned house but I can't find any sources).
I think you're on the right track suggesting that the oil molecules might be covering up other potential decomp- anyone know if the area is especially wet and swampy? I can imagine that might throw up some compounds that are similar to human decomp and confuse the dogs. I'm thinking similar scents confused the dogs and that's why they alerted to the pond. I don't think temperatures played a role deterring the dogs (looking up a Luling TX winter - sounds like a Canadian spring!) as they've shown that they function fine above freezing. It was a high of 12 degrees (54 farenheit) that day, and in the next two weeks it got significantly warmer; I feel like those sorts of temps would still allow for adequate decomposition, as you said. If he was in water (slows decomp) and the water was significantly colder, that could impact it though.
Sadly, I think the biggest impact on the dogs is just how vast the search area is! I know dogs' noses are good, but there's always a limit, and it depends on how much wind is present and if it's pointing in their direction. A lot of studies I could find on dog efficacy (if anyone's interested I'd give this one a read!) tested the dogs in small search areas (study linked used 20m squared areas and even then, the dogs struggled with some samples) as it would be difficult to approve a study where you need miles of open terrain and days and days of potential searching time.

Decomp is slower when it’s cold out and smell not nearly as strong, but trained cadaver dogs should still smell it…i don’t think oil smell would interfere too much.

I can’t stop thinking he’s in an oil tank or well or something….maybe in traveling oil tank or not near that location. I don’t know much about that oil stuff, but i don’t think he took his clothes off and dropped his pet fish for no reason. Maybe a psychotic break, but he would have shown up by now. Same with the hypothermia theory.

Last edited:
Decomp is slower when it’s cold out and smell not nearly as strong, but trained cadaver dogs should still smell it…i don’t think oil smell would interfere too much.

I can’t stop thinking he’s in an oil tank or well or something….maybe in traveling oil tank or not near that location. I don’t know much about that oil stuff, but i don’t think he took his clothes off and dropped his pet fish for no reason. Maybe a psychotic break, but he would have shown up by now. Same with the hypothermia theory.

Fantastic idea "a traveling oil tank" along the railroad lines ...?

Jason may like that. Dropping the articles of clothing on a chilly evening is bizarre and abnormal behavior. Inexplicable really. Sure wish we knew why he walked away and vanished.

I’d just like to say how much I appreciate the wide range of opinions here at Websleuths. This is a good example thread - it’s been months since any new info or clues were released. The facts we do have don’t seem to fit together perfectly into any prevailing theory (e.g., why the undressing? Why has SAR been unsuccessful?).

And from these few clues, we have SIGNIFICANT differences of opinion on what theory is the “only logical fit”. I this thread I’ve seen Occam’s razor applied to both foul play and accident.

I personally am in the camp of distraction + crash + head injury + paradoxical undressing + Jason’s remains will eventually be located and we will think “how was he missed!”.

I’d just like to say how much I appreciate the wide range of opinions here at Websleuths. This is a good example thread - it’s been months since any new info or clues were released. The facts we do have don’t seem to fit together perfectly into any prevailing theory (e.g., why the undressing? Why has SAR been unsuccessful?).

And from these few clues, we have SIGNIFICANT differences of opinion on what theory is the “only logical fit”. I this thread I’ve seen Occam’s razor applied to both foul play and accident.

I personally am in the camp of distraction + crash + head injury + paradoxical undressing + Jason’s remains will eventually be located and we will think “how was he missed!”.
I agree that there are many good theories here for what could have happened to Jason, and although I am mainly in the drug induced psychosis, crash (possible head injury), undressing and hiding camp, I go back and forth since there are very good arguments being made here for other theories. It really is a mystery.

Fantastic idea "a traveling oil tank" along the railroad lines ...?

Jason may like that. Dropping the articles of clothing on a chilly evening is bizarre and abnormal behavior. Inexplicable really. Sure wish we knew why he walked away and vanished.

I was thinking more truck, but hey…could have made it to a train. Anyone else in that area that night was more than likely affiliated with oil. There is nothing else in that area except cows. It’s all oil tanks, rigs, and wells. The guy did not just drop his stuff, including his pet fish that he cared enough about to take with him, strip, and wander off barefoot into pitch black rural Texas oil flatlands never to be seen again.

I was thinking more truck, but hey…could have made it to a train. Anyone else in that area that night was more than likely affiliated with oil. There is nothing else in that area except cows. It’s all oil tanks, rigs, and wells. The guy did not just drop his stuff, including his pet fish that he cared enough about to take with him, strip, and wander off barefoot into pitch black rural Texas oil flatlands never to be seen again.

There is more animal life than just cows that aren't really harmful to humans. Bulls on the other hand... I'd stay away from. lol But seriously, there is a lot of wildlife out there. Feral hogs for one. I wouldn't want to have a run in with them either. Especially with my tasty bits on display like his were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
crimedeepdives23