MI MI - Julia Niswender, 23, EMU student, Ypsilanti, 10 Dec 2012 - #6

It is with a heavy heart that I must tell everyone that Spellbound or Spellz passed away on Friday, June 18, 2021. She was a big contributor to our efforts to find Justice for Julia. Me and my wife had the pleasure of meeting her a few times during our trips to Michigan. She is in pain no more and I'm sure she is up in heaven and possibly looking for Julia. RIP Speelz, you will always be in our hearts.

I am sorry to hear about Spellbound. My condolences to her family and friends. I appreciate all the contributions that she has made to find justice for Julia in this forum,
and her input on other cases such as the murders of Ally Brueger and Chelsea Bruck.

Watching the YouTube videos now. I just don’t understand why they won’t invite additional resources in. This has gone on far too long.
When you look at the EMU lawsuits and then apply that context to Julia's case, it makes me speculate as to whether it is time for the Michigan State Attorney General's office to review the case. Is there a trend of covering up sexual assault case in Ypsilanti? I don't know, but I think this is a reasonable question to be investigated by the Attorney General's office.
AG - Does the Attorney General's Office investigate or prosecute alleged crimes?

Amateur opinion and speculation

When you look at the EMU lawsuits and then apply that context to Julia's case, it makes me speculate as to whether it is time for the Michigan State Attorney General's office to review the case. Is there a trend of covering up sexual assault case in Ypsilanti? I don't know, but I think this is a reasonable question to be investigated by the Attorney General's office.
AG - Does the Attorney General's Office investigate or prosecute alleged crimes?

There is definitely a history of covering up at Eastern Michigan University. See for example the murder of Laura Dickinson (see Wikipedia) on December 13, 2006, 6 years earlier. EMU did not notify students that a murder had taken place on campus, a violation of the Clery Act. EMU's president was fired. EMU did not make the same mistake when Julia was murdered.

Initially, other agencies such as the Michigan State Police were involved with the investigation, but now there is only only one officer supposedly working on this. I think this is a "cold case" and I wish that a different team would look at this case with fresh eyes.

There is definitely a history of covering up at Eastern Michigan University. See for example the murder of Laura Dickinson (see Wikipedia) on December 13, 2006, 6 years earlier. EMU did not notify students that a murder had taken place on campus, a violation of the Clery Act. EMU's president was fired. EMU did not make the same mistake when Julia was murdered.

Initially, other agencies such as the Michigan State Police were involved with the investigation, but now there is only only one officer supposedly working on this. I think this is a "cold case" and I wish that a different team would look at this case with fresh eyes.
Yes. This needs to be reviewed by the Mich. Attorney general in my amateur opinion.
With the history you detailed, it seems necessary. The family would need to consult with someone qualified to help them navigate that process.

amateur opinion and speculation

I just searched on Spotify for Julia’s name and noticed that there are several new podcasts/episodes about her case! When I searched back in November there were only 2 or 3…any idea what prompted the spate of new pods about her case starting in March of this year?

**EDIT**
Also, I found this tweet with the photo of a newspaper article (headline: DEATH SHOCKS STUDENTS”). The article mentions that there was a note on Julia’s door which said “RIP=? Love you Julia — larry”. I haven’t read about this note anywhere else, and the article says the note was on her door the day after she was murdered. Anyone know anything about this?

Attachments

• 631530E9-D33F-4FE7-AD32-A8C6BD245782.jpeg
    631530E9-D33F-4FE7-AD32-A8C6BD245782.jpeg
    101.2 KB · Views: 11
  • FB8F0703-0916-42CB-8751-9636CAD536D3.jpeg
    FB8F0703-0916-42CB-8751-9636CAD536D3.jpeg
    199.4 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
I just searched on Spotify for Julia’s name and noticed that there are several new podcasts/episodes about her case! When I searched back in November there were only 2 or 3…any idea what prompted the spate of new pods about her case starting in March of this year?

**EDIT**
Also, I found this tweet with the photo of a newspaper article (headline: DEATH SHOCKS STUDENTS”). The article mentions that there was a note on Julia’s door which said “RIP=? Love you Julia — larry”. I haven’t read about this note anywhere else, and the article says the note was on her door the day after she was murdered. Anyone know anything about this?
I believe that Larry was one of the security guards for the complex. He was friends with Julia and her roomates and if I'm not mistaken, he was there working on the night her body was found. I believe he had to get the "master key" for the Ypsi Police so they could enter her bedroom. He has been thoroughly veted by the police and did voluntarily provide a DNA sample and fingerprints to Ypsi police..

I don't want to upset anyone, especially Julia's grandad, but I watched the aforementioned series about the case on the youtube channel Explore With Us (EWU), and I have to say, Julia's mother Kim rubs me the wrong way. She seems more concerned with protecting her ex-husband Jim Turnquist, than wanting justice for Julia. Not trying to stir up trouble, that's just how it seemed to me.

I hope there will be answers in this case.

Last edited:
I don't want to upset anyone, especially Julia's grandad, but I watched the aforementioned series about the case on the youtube channel Explore With Us (EWU), and I have to say, Julia's mother Kim rubs me the wrong way. She seems more concerned with protecting her ex-husband Jim Turnquist, than wanting justice for Julia. Not trying to stir up trouble, that's just how it seemed to me.

I hope there will be answers in this case.
Whether we think the subjects of the interview came across well or not, it's important that they took the time to do the interviews to keep Julia's case front and center. I hope they do as many legitimate interviews as they can. I'm sure it's not easy.

Michigan is having a very bad couple years on the protecting women and girls front :( IMO

Just stumbled onto this very peculiar and troubling case, it is simply bizarre,!
Noting universities in Canada are also having huge problems with sex assaults, finally people are speaking out about what is really going on. imo, speculation.
Probably a re post, sorry just trying to wrap my head around this one.
Apr 9, 2013

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck