Rapidly Dying 47-Year-Old Professor Gives Exuberant ‘Last Lecture’

IdahoMom

Former Member
Reaction score
Website
Visit site
Commentator: "What wisdom would we impart to the world if we knew it was our last chance?"

I don't know whether to laugh or cry after watching this video.

This man is a great inspiration for me. :)

http://www.breitbart.tv/?p=5788

http://www.post-gazette.net/pg/07262/818671-298.stm

CMU professor gives his last lesson on life

snip

:(

....In mid-summer, after tests initially showed he was clear of cancer, he added two rounds of treatment with an experimental cancer vaccine at Johns Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore.
And then, just as he was finally feeling healthy again late last month, Dr. Pausch sent out this message to his diary readers:
"A recent CT scan showed that there are 10 tumors in my liver, and my spleen is also peppered with small tumors. The doctors say that it is one of the most aggressive recurrences they have ever seen."
He and Jai moved their family to Chesapeake, Va., so she would be near her relatives. They made initial plans for hospice care, and Dr. Pausch began palliative chemotherapy to give him some extra time.
"I find that I am completely positive," he wrote. "The only times I cry are when I think about the kids -- and it's not so much the 'Gee, I'll miss seeing their first bicycle ride' type of stuff as it is a sense of unfulfilled duty -- that I will not be there to help raise them, and that I have left a very heavy burden for my wife."
He is concentrating now on creating videos for his children. With his oldest son, 5-year-old Dylan, Dr. Pausch went on a recent trip to Disney World and to swim with dolphins, thinking Dylan may be the only child who will have strong direct memories of him.
His wife and children, he said, "mean everything to me. They give a purpose to life and a depth of joy that no job [and I've had some of the most awesome jobs in the world] can begin to provide.
"I hope my wife is able to remarry down the line. And I hope they will remember me as a man who loved them, and did everything he could for them."

-----------------

This is Randy Paush's website:

http://www.cs.cmu.edu/~pausch/

Thank you for posting that! It brought tears to my eyes!! Why do the good always die young?

Thanks JBean, for sharing that. I'll need to get the book- it sounds like my kind of thing. :)

Thanks also for the birthday wishes. :)
HIs wife had to finish it. It's really a good book and afast read.

crying my eyes out--
Inspirational yes...but damn........

What a marvelous, inspirational person he is! But damn, why does this have to be happening to him and his little family?

crying my eyes out--
Inspirational yes...but damn........

sleuthin4fun said:
Wow!!!! I am just heart sick but, what an inspiration.

montana16 said:
What a marvelous, inspirational person he is! But damn, why does this have to be happening to him and his little family?

I know, me too! Dang it! :( I showed it to my 16 year old son and he cried, too. :( Then he went and gave his Dad a hug. :)

There are lessons to learn from Professor Pausch!

Thank you for posting this story. What an inspiration. Puts things into perspective!

Thanks for bumping this Idaho, I missed it the first time.

"Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want".

I love that! So true, and a good reason to not always get what you want. (now I'm hearing the Stones in my head, lol)

Is he STILL alive?? The website stuff is all from 2007.

I am amazed at this man. He makes me cry and laugh and want to be a better person.

Oh, duh, never mind, I see he updated this blog Feb. 15th. Wow.

I saw him on Oprah... he's an amazing and inspirational person.

Being a very spiritual person, what I am surprised by is that (from what I've read in the links) there is no spiritual element to his final months of life. I would think that he would have larger issues to ponder besides what appears to be his "bucket list" (Experiencing zero gravity, play in the nfl, etc.) As brave and refreshing as his perspective is, I am left wondering when (or if) he will ever confront those big picture spiritual questions, like "why am I here?" or "what was all that for?" or "Where am I headed?"

Unless he is tackling all those issues privately and chooses not to go public with those matters, (which would be surprising, given that he seems so candid about his experience) I feel that much of his actions are designed to "stay busy" perhaps to avoid pondering those scary spiritual thoughts? In his shoes, I believe I would be less concerned about getting in my cycling time than I would about speaking with a spiritual guide of some sort and preparing spiritually for my own end.

I mean no disrespect of the man, and I thought I would bring up an element not previously mentioned on this thread, out of my own curiosity.
imo

Being a very spiritual person, what I am surprised by is that (from what I've read in the links) there is no spiritual element to his final months of life. I would think that he would have larger issues to ponder besides what appears to be his "bucket list" (Experiencing zero gravity, play in the nfl, etc.) As brave and refreshing as his perspective is, I am left wondering when (or if) he will ever confront those big picture spiritual questions, like "why am I here?" or "what was all that for?" or "Where am I headed?"

Unless he is tackling all those issues privately and chooses not to go public with those matters, whcih would be surprising, given that he seems so candid about his experience) I feel that much of his actions are designed to "stay busy" perhaps to avoid pondering those scary spiritual thoughts? In his shoes, I believe I would be less concerned about getting in my cycling time than I would about speaking with a spiritual guide of some sort and preparing spiritually for my own end.

I mean no disrespect of the man, and I thought I would bring up an element not previously mentioned on this thread, out of my own curiosity.
imo

Religion has nothing to do with the choices I make for my own life. I don't fear dying. I fear not living well until I die. I can completely understand how it would play into someones decisions if they believed in a god and applaud it. However, it doesn't change how I live, how I treat my children or other people or the morals I uphold in my own household.

I am touched by his story and his philosophy on life even without the touch of religion thrown in. That in itself is a refreshing thing. I can not say what his religious affiliation is if any but I can certainly take his life lessons in fully. He and his family are simply wonderful.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back