SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
I sincerely hope that SLED is taking a good, hard look at the circumstances surrounding that "accidental fall."

The final settlement in that case appears to have been for the amount that the insurance covered, which means the Ms wouldn't have had to pay anything out of their own pockets.

I do wonder whether the plaintiff's lawyer in that case is friendly with the Murdaugh family.

JMO.
Satterfields lawyer was an associate or superior at one point or vice versa. I think the lawyer got 150K and the family got $350k?

Also, in regards to the line of thought brought up by cryptic, the family missed the opportunity presented by the pandemic. a mea culpa to a minor charge would have meant little to no time actually incarcerated for any criminal sentence handed down for the boating travesty

Yes, I'm thinking you would only use the term "shooting" is if you are skeet shooting.
I agree.

The only other distantly possible exception that I could think of would be if shooting the animals was 100% a form of legal pest control.

For example a rancher stating that he is going prairie dog shooting (prairie dog burrows can cause cattle to break their legs etc).

Another “new” report I was just reading on wistv.com goes into this new info released by foi order rehashes the highway patrol report on the Smith case. It mentions the M name several times but I noted with interest that they tried to contact someone in the M family and were unsuccessful. I find it strange that the state police weren’t able to make in person contact with someone that they wanted to. It reads like they called to no answer and that’s it. I hope I’m as lucky if they were looking for me.

If they had them we haven’t heard it from any report. I and several others here have been trying to find that out for some time now.[/QU
That would be a real good question for a "journalist" to ask. But I guess that's too much to ask. There's really been no info at all since this happened. Other than the SS case being reopened due to this case. Really strange. I really thought this would be solved pretty quick.

@Becky Starkey , I agree. The blanket over this case is held tight. I think if they had any vid that was useful, they would have acted on it by now since that and phones are the first things that LE looks into. The lack of information from LE has the news interviewing lawyers around the Lowcountry for some kind of input. That says something but I admit that I don’t know what. I do however know that media bosses want pages filled and the reporters have to find something.

I sincerely hope that SLED is taking a good, hard look at the circumstances surrounding that "accidental fall."

The final settlement in that case appears to have been for the amount that the insurance covered, which means the Ms wouldn't have had to pay anything out of their own pockets.

I do wonder whether the plaintiff's lawyer in that case is friendly with the Murdaugh family.

JMO.

Probably, just like the Beach case.

Although Alex Murdaugh serves part-time as a prosecutor for the 14th Judicial Circuit, he’s also a personal-injury lawyer with his family’s law firm. Stone, the 14th Circuit Solicitor, which is local parlance for district attorney, has not recused himself from the double-homicide investigation.

“Yes it’s a conflict of interest,” attorney Mark Tinsley, himself a longtime friend of the Murdaughs, told The Post. “It’s a little absurd.”

Tinsley also represents the family of Mallory Beach, the 19-year-old woman who was killed after being thrown from the Murdaugh family speedboat in February 2019.

Inside the toxic Murdaugh family of South Carolina

My statement was not a general one but only aimed at past precedent in Hampton/Colleton/Beaufort counties.

Did LE follow the rules in the SS investigation ? The boat accident ?

Not likely according to what I've read so I wouldn't expect them to toe the line in the Murdaugh murder case.

I wonder if LE has been able to interview AM?

Initially, there were reports that he was a POI. That information was followed by the brothers holding their TV interview. They offered no reward at that time, but did offer some other information.

They asserted that AM has an air tight or rock solid alibi. Was that the point of doing the interview…to counter the POI statement? To get their version out there…?

They revealed that PM was being threatened by strangers on social media. Was that to deflect suspicion onto these social media avengers?

Watching it again, everything said seemed to be intended to remove the family from all suspicion. They were just regular people, no dynasty with special power. The family had exerted no special influence for PM etc. PM and MM had no enemies.

They never said AM had been interviewed.

Has LE retracted that AM is a person of interest? Have they stated that he indeed has an air tight alibi?

I will admit…everything can be seen as just a grieving family wanting to make a public statement…and their grief was palpable. But, unfortunately, we also have to look at past practices in regard to this family.

I’m reminded how PM called and RM and AM immediately went to the hospital after the boat crash and prevented statements from being taken.

When AM called his brothers to come to this crime scene, were they functioning in the same way…to prevent AM from being questioned?

Several weeks after the boating accident, media reports stated PM still had not been interviewed. Has AM? Or is this contributing to what COULD be interpreted as another delay?

Delay. Lots of that in the past.

Another “new” report I was just reading on wistv.com goes into this new info released by foi order rehashes the highway patrol report on the Smith case. It mentions the M name several times but I noted with interest that they tried to contact someone in the M family and were unsuccessful. I find it strange that the state police weren’t able to make in person contact with someone that they wanted to. It reads like they called to no answer and that’s it. I hope I’m as lucky if they were looking for me.

Another example. ‘Gee, we called, no answer…so that’s that. ‘

And once again, never interviewed.

I may be totally wrong on my cynical view of this investigation. But it’s hard to read how cases were handled in the past and have absolute faith in how they are proceeding now.

I wonder if the people who live in that area, who live within and under the system there as it exists, have confidence that justice will be served?

My cynical and befuddled opinions only.

Last edited:
Satterfields lawyer was an associate or superior at one point or vice versa. I think the lawyer got 150K and the family got $350k?
I also think that those numbers represent the standard break down for personal injury attorneys.

The family would also pay for any pre-settlement preparation expenses out of their share. I dont know what this would include in the case of a deceased person. Perhaps a doctor's review of the medical records?

As a side note, lawsuit machines require alot of oiling in regards to cash flow and are also designed to keep as much of the loot "in house" as possible. Any preparation expenses can be creative and then get inflated.

Likewise, Sue'em firms contract exclusively with certain doctors, psychologists etc. known to write firm friendly reports. These people are paid only on money collected from the client's share. So, they expect to see cash if the firm still wants friendly reports. The payment conditions could also lend themselves to creative billing.

I think your view is spot on @stmarysmead and I’d wager that the answer to if they have interviewed AM is no. An atty who knows the closest to victims are always looked at? No way. I’ve stated before that given this family’s close relation to this states leaders should prevent SLED from being anywhere near this investigation.

If the PM criminal case came to trial and he was pleading not guilty…how could he do that and not point to one of his other ‘friends’ as the driver? He couldn’t say he was too drunk to know who took the wheel?

If the PM criminal case came to trial and he was pleading not guilty…how could he do that and not point to one of his other ‘friends’ as the driver? He couldn’t say he was too drunk to know who took the wheel?

That’s just it, he wouldn’t have to say anything. Just leave it to LE to have to prove and “suggest” others could have been in control. I’ve seen some very creative and successful DUI defenses in local courts over the years.

PM would not have had to take the stand in the criminal trial. All his defense attorneys would have to do is create reasonable doubt he was driving and that would be easy as none of the boat occupants could definitively say he was driving and hit the throttle to accelerate the boat. And how many would've testified against PM knowing the Murdaugh's power in the area ?

A passenger in the boat that crashed and killed Mallory Beach in 2019 believes some law enforcement officers may know about intentions to hamper the crash investigation and shift blame away from Paul Murdaugh, according to a civil petition filed in Richland County Thursday.

Connor Cook, one of six occupants on board the Sea Hunt boat when it crashed, suspects unnamed people may have intended to frame him as the driver of the boat, the petition says.

Cook believes that some evidence gathered at the boat crash scene is missing. His lawyers want to question the officers about failing to conduct an appropriate investigation, according to the petition.
Boat crash passenger claims ‘civil conspiracy’ | Hilton Head Island Packet

PM would not have had to take the stand in the criminal trial. All his defense attorneys would have to do is create reasonable doubt he was driving and that would be easy as none of the boat occupants could definitively say he was driving and hit the throttle to accelerate the boat. And how many would've testified against PM knowing the Murdaugh's power in the area ?

Yet why all the delays, with reasonable doubt?

A passenger in the boat that crashed and killed Mallory Beach in 2019 believes some law enforcement officers may know about intentions to hamper the crash investigation and shift blame away from Paul Murdaugh, according to a civil petition filed in Richland County Thursday.

Connor Cook, one of six occupants on board the Sea Hunt boat when it crashed, suspects unnamed people may have intended to frame him as the driver of the boat, the petition says.

Cook believes that some evidence gathered at the boat crash scene is missing. His lawyers want to question the officers about failing to conduct an appropriate investigation, according to the petition.
Boat crash passenger claims ‘civil conspiracy’ | Hilton Head Island Packet

Looks like the lawyer who filed this motion believes that blame was intentionally being shifted to CC.

Last edited:
Quite a bombshell filing…

Cook believes law enforcement officers failed to conduct an appropriate investigation, according to the petition.

That failure includes the fact officers did not give Murdaugh a sobriety test and “other investigative irregularities,” according the filing. It led to the loss of evidence, the filing said.

( The LE officiers named). may “have information as to a ‘campaign’ to cloud the investigatory issues and disseminate false information in the community with the intention of misleading law enforcement and prosecution charging parties, and the public, into wrongly and falsely believing Connor Cook should be arrested and charged as the boat operator with multiple counts of Felony Boating Under the Influence,” the filing said.

Read more here: https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article252491453.html#storylink=cpy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
flintinsects