Found Deceased VA - Bruce Rubin, 61, jogger, Primland Resort, Patrick Co., 2 July 2021

Good morning to all, Let today be the day Bruce is found.

This is a great article about Bruce, his career, hiking experience, and his visit to PL
eta...the photos give a good idea of the beautiful but treacherous landscape.

'We're doing everything we can to find closure'

So it was from this background that at 11 a.m. on July 2 Rubin dressed out in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, put on his running shoes, strapped on a camel back [hydration pack] and went for a run on the Buzzards Roost Trail, a 2.5-mile loop on the Primland Luxury Resort property where he and his wife were guests.

The description of this trail listed at alltrails.com says it includes 547 feet in elevation and is one of seven hiking trails that range from 1.7 to 6.5 miles on Primland’s 12,000 acres.

One commenter described Buzzards Roost as “steep and rocky” in parts with “a few small creek crossings” and “great views of the [Dan River] gorge.”

“The trail runs along the side of the mountain and has some fantastic views of the Pinnacles of Dan,” the commenter wrote.

“These crews have made herculean efforts, and I am told they do not have a single clue,” he wrote. “There isn’t a single lead; no one has found his cell.”

Said Smith: “We’ve not recovered anything. We’ve had specialized rope teams searching cliffs throughout the area that basically were impossible to navigate without rappel gear.”

☆☆☆

Rubin’s case has become a topic of discussion at websleuths, a respected internet community that is focused on crime and missing people where registered members include law enforcement, rescue personal and family and friends of loved ones who are missing.

A guest at Primland at the same time Rubin was there said that she and her husband were avid hikers, having hiked the Grand Canyon down and up and had saved the most difficult hike for their last day at the resort, so they set out for the Buzzards Roost, the same trail where Rubin went missing.

Last edited:
I’m sorry to read Bruce is still missing.

Paul Miller was on vacation with his wife (anniversary celebration) and he went out for a hike alone before they had to leave. He never returned. He was later recovered. I think Paul had a emergency medical event and stepped off the trail to sit/rest. I also believe he was within the search area.

We know when the HRD dogs are brought in, it becomes apparent what the mission is. Let the environment and wind be optimal for their precious noses. IMO

Family of missing Joshua Tree hiker return to site where remains were found; backpack still had food and water - KESQ

Please excuse any stupidity on my part, as I am "just asking...", but has anybody (seriously) considered that this gentleman wanted to "disappear"? Studying the maps, geography, and his physical capabilities, it seems as though a man in his stellar condition would have been able to easily make a "safe" exit...
Also, if he had fallen, etc., and died, especially in the hot weather, wouldn't there be buzzards (no pun intended) visible from the trail?
These are the questions that arise in my husband's & my mind; considering all options...
In the gentleman's financial vocation, certainly, there could be some possible motive to "disappear"...
Sincerely, "just_asking..."

Please excuse any stupidity on my part, as I am "just asking...", but has anybody (seriously) considered that this gentleman wanted to "disappear"? Studying the maps, geography, and his physical capabilities, it seems as though a man in his stellar condition would have been able to easily make a "safe" exit...
Also, if he had fallen, etc., and died, especially in the hot weather, wouldn't there be buzzards (no pun intended) visible from the trail?
These are the questions that arise in my husband's & my mind; considering all options...
In the gentleman's financial vocation, certainly, there could be some possible motive to "disappear"...

I suppose it’s possible, but I think very unlikely in this case. It sounds like Bruce was preparing for a upcoming run, I can see him wanting to challenge himself with this terrain while he had the opportunity. IMO

Dear K9Enzo - Based on what the facts say about this case, they allow for a possibility of a voluntary disappearance; and to suggest an avenue of inquiry that can't be ruled out at this time, seems to be in order no matter how uncomfortable it may make us feel...

I feel they are doing everything they can to find him.

I suspect there are perhaps some private/local trackers, if you can, find a way to connect to them. Local FB pages, sheriff may know someone.

Also, reach out to Bill Wyatt, at The Martinsville Bulletin, he's a native to the area. He can keep this in the news. Also, The Enterprise, Patrick County paper. It may generate more efforts to hear directly from family and friends. You tell his story, well.

Keep in mind,mind locals know that it us very expensive to vacation at Primland and they make sure staff is distant and no socialization outside work with guest.

Last edited:
A gentle reminder-

At this time there are no Verified Insiders approved for this case. If you want to share inside information about anything related to the missing person or the case please apply HERE.

Thank you for respecting the Websleuths’ rules.

I am surprised I can find no professional images of Bruce. I have only seen the one blurry image of Bruce with his wife and in that photo Bruce is wearing sunglasses, obscuring his eyes. That is the exact same image that was shared in the article linked above. You would think the family would release a couple clear photos so that people can be on the lookout for him, just in case he became disoriented or was seen elsewhere.

While the most logical explanation is that Bruce slipped and fell while running on treacherous terrain, other options can't be ruled out. Still hoping and praying for a positive outcome.

@designomnivore Look at this article--it is basically our comments to each other here on websleuths. But it will give people a view of what Bruce is like re his extensive experience running and in the wilderness.

Hello Friend - I have read the article and am glad they found our observations helpful.

<modnsip> I hope that tomorrow will bring some good news.

My prayers continue to be with you and Bruce’s family. Let’s hold onto our faith that Bruce will be found and quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:

Welcome @Workbuds.
Please see this post below.
If you have info you want to share as a friend, Websleuths asks that you apply to be a Verified Insider. Otherwise you will have to provide links to mainstream media published articles to confirm anything you post at fact as stated in the TOS we all agreed to when we joined. Members that post unconfirmed/unverified info may unfortunately have those posts removed.
THANKS for respecting the Websleuths rules.

A gentle reminder-

At this time there are no Verified Insiders approved for this case. If you want to share inside information about anything related to the missing person or the case please apply HERE.

Thank you for respecting the Websleuths’ rules.

Welcome @Workbuds.
Please see this post below.
If you have info you want to share as a friend, Websleuths asks that you apply to be a Verified Insider. Otherwise you will have to provide links to mainstream media published articles to confirm anything you post at fact as stated in the TOS we all agreed to when we joined. Members that post unconfirmed/unverified info may unfortunately have those posts removed.
THANKS for respecting the Websleuths rules.

No worries. I sent you an email but I am not going to beg. My friend is missing and that is frankly what I am concerned about. I worked beside this man and was a part of his life/ he mine for more than a decade. I don’t have. “Link” to verify that. I just have my heart and the fact that people suggesting he is voluntarily missing needed to be corrected.​

I am surprised I can find no professional images of Bruce. I have only seen the one blurry image of Bruce with his wife and in that photo Bruce is wearing sunglasses, obscuring his eyes. That is the exact same image that was shared in the article linked above. You would think the family would release a couple clear photos so that people can be on the lookout for him, just in case he became disoriented or was seen elsewhere.

While the most logical explanation is that Bruce slipped and fell while running on treacherous terrain, other options can't be ruled out. Still hoping and praying for a positive outcome.
There's a more professional photo in this link.

'We're doing everything we can to find closure'

Bruce Rubin went on a late-morning run more than a week ago and never came back. As slim as the chances are for a good outcome, a massive search-and-rescue effort continues in the perilous mountains above the Dan River in Patrick County.

Bruce Rubin

WESTCHESTER CAPITAL MANAGEMENT
“We’re not at the point to where we’re saying we’re going to stop the search,” Patrick County Sheriff Dan Smith said. “We are fortunate that no one on the search teams has been hurt or killed, but this is someone’s loved one that we’re dealing with, and we’re going to continue this.

“We’re going to do everything we can do to find closure.”

Rubin, 61, is a New York native from the Hudson Valley area and has lived in Harrison and most recently in Chappaqua, both minutes from his office in the hamlet of Valhalla, where he has served since 2010 as the chief operating officer and chief compliance officer of a multibillion-dollar investment firm.

Flash floods creating rushing streams and rock slides are said to be common.

So it was from this background that at 11 a.m. on July 2 Rubin dressed out in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, put on his running shoes, strapped on a camel back [hydration pack] and went for a run on the Buzzards Roost Trail, a 2.5-mile loop on the Primland Luxury Resort property where he and his wife were guests.

The description of this trail listed at alltrails.com says it includes 547 feet in elevation and is one of seven hiking trails that range from 1.7 to 6.5 miles on Primland’s 12,000 acres.

One commenter described Buzzards Roost as “steep and rocky” in parts with “a few small creek crossings” and “great views of the [Dan River] gorge.”

“The trail runs along the side of the mountain and has some fantastic views of the Pinnacles of Dan,” the commenter wrote.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bosie
Back