Found Deceased VA - Bruce Rubin, 61, jogger, Primland Resort, Patrick Co., 2 July 2021

There's a more professional photo in this link.

'We're doing everything we can to find closure'

Bruce Rubin went on a late-morning run more than a week ago and never came back. As slim as the chances are for a good outcome, a massive search-and-rescue effort continues in the perilous mountains above the Dan River in Patrick County.

Bruce Rubin

WESTCHESTER CAPITAL MANAGEMENT
“We’re not at the point to where we’re saying we’re going to stop the search,” Patrick County Sheriff Dan Smith said. “We are fortunate that no one on the search teams has been hurt or killed, but this is someone’s loved one that we’re dealing with, and we’re going to continue this.

“We’re going to do everything we can do to find closure.”

Rubin, 61, is a New York native from the Hudson Valley area and has lived in Harrison and most recently in Chappaqua, both minutes from his office in the hamlet of Valhalla, where he has served since 2010 as the chief operating officer and chief compliance officer of a multibillion-dollar investment firm.

Flash floods creating rushing streams and rock slides are said to be common.

So it was from this background that at 11 a.m. on July 2 Rubin dressed out in a pair of shorts and a t-shirt, put on his running shoes, strapped on a camel back [hydration pack] and went for a run on the Buzzards Roost Trail, a 2.5-mile loop on the Primland Luxury Resort property where he and his wife were guests.

The description of this trail listed at alltrails.com says it includes 547 feet in elevation and is one of seven hiking trails that range from 1.7 to 6.5 miles on Primland’s 12,000 acres.

One commenter described Buzzards Roost as “steep and rocky” in parts with “a few small creek crossings” and “great views of the [Dan River] gorge.”

“The trail runs along the side of the mountain and has some fantastic views of the Pinnacles of Dan,” the commenter wrote.

Thank you! I read the article and admittedly didn’t pay attention and thought that was a pic of the author of the article. It’s a very clear pic of Mr. Rubin. IMO

Dear K9Enzo - Based on what the facts say about this case, they allow for a possibility of a voluntary disappearance; and to suggest an avenue of inquiry that can't be ruled out at this time, seems to be in order no matter how uncomfortable it may make us feel...
Sincerely, "just_asking..."
If you look at the photos of Primland it is extremely remote. Located in the Appalachian Mountains, person would need to leave out the main entrance and there are cameras. There no walking out of this place, without being seen, to many gouges, cliffs, mountains side is covered in laurel mountain, wild rhododendron, blackberry, vines with huge briers, dropping straight down into gorges.

The “main road” is very narrow, winding curves and locals would have noticed a person walking and reported. The closest rental car is an hour away. Folks are very observant driving, bears, deer, dogs, possums, bobcats, huge logging trucks on this narrow road.

Everybody knows, everybody and their business in this small community. Somebody would have seen something, if he was picked him up, no one would let this extensive search go on, someone would saying something. These are most volunteers searching.

All my opinion...

Moo...no way to walkout

Last edited:
<modsnip>
As a land surveyor who has, professionally, done work right along-side that range of terrain, my husband took a very thorough look (with his various measuring instruments on hand at the kitchen table) at the possibilities, and concluded that...with a man of Mr. Rubin's physical caliber and experience, it would be possible to get down to the water and "be met"; the distance to a main road is not far! You or I might not be able to do it, but Mr. Rubin could!! With some ease!
To return to our originally-submitted post, we are merely "just asking", as all options must be considered, without prejudice or subjectivity.
<modsnip>
We know it can (and does) happen that with a man of Mr. Rubin's "financial access" and accumulation of wealth, etc., it is not unreasonable to suggest that there very well could be (in considering all avenues)...someone who wants what he has! There are
extortioners, etc. In his business he could very well become someone's target, and if he were found to be privy to evil devised against him, he might be forced to flee! Against his will! Even if he were planning for a marathon!! (Again - we must consider - that doesn't mean we're right! We hope we're wrong!!) It does happen to the most "innocent" and philanthropic!
These suggestions do not feel good to think or make, but we can't be naive... (and again, we can't emphasize enough - this is just a theory!!)
We trust we have done no injustices to the sleuthing occupation, but have operated within its perimeters of acceptance...

Last edited by a moderator:
< modsnip>
As a land surveyor who has, professionally, done work right along-side that range of terrain, my husband took a very thorough look (with his various measuring instruments on hand at the kitchen table) at the possibilities, and concluded that...with a man of Mr. Rubin's physical caliber and experience, it would be possible to get down to the water and "be met"; the distance to a main road is not far! You or I might not be able to do it, but Mr. Rubin could!! With some ease!
To return to our originally-submitted post, we are merely "just asking", as all options must be considered, without prejudice or subjectivity.
<modsnip>
We know it can (and does) happen that with a man of Mr. Rubin's "financial access" and accumulation of wealth, etc., it is not unreasonable to suggest that there very well could be (in considering all avenues)...someone who wants what he has! There are
extortioners, etc. In his business he could very well become someone's target, and if he were found to be privy to evil devised against him, he might be forced to flee! Against his will! Even if he were planning for a marathon!! (Again - we must consider - that doesn't mean we're right! We hope we're wrong!!) It does happen to the most "innocent" and philanthropic!
These suggestions do not feel good to think or make, but we can't be naive... (and again, we can't emphasize enough - this is just a theory!!)
We trust we have done no injustices to the sleuthing occupation, but have operated within its perimeters of acceptance...

I personally find it hard to believe that an extortion plan or evil was devised against him while he's on vacation at a resort. You mentioned his wealth is something that someone would maybe want. Well, not sure how that can be taken from him or how it can be up for grabs.

Folks of varying financial means perish or need rescued from misadventure often. The area he was at is known for recreation. SAR is no doubt busy in the summer months. Sadly, Bruce's story is not uncommon (sets off for a run and doesn't return). All my opinion.

I personally find it hard to believe that an extortion plan or evil was devised against him while he's on vacation at a resort. You mentioned his wealth is something that someone would maybe want. Well, not sure how that can be taken from him or how it can be up for grabs.

Folks of varying financial means perish or need rescued from misadventure often. The area he was at is known for recreation. SAR is no doubt busy in the summer months. Sadly, Bruce's story is not uncommon (sets off for a run and doesn't return). All my opinion.
Ours - merely a theory;
We hope we're wrong ...
We muse, stop, and consider -
All avenues -
'til the truth's in view,
where it belongs...

Thinking of Bruce and his loved ones.

I came here looking to see if thermal imaging had been used, as I have seen it used before in SAR in rough terrain. I was glad to read that it has been used. Unfortunately, searchers indicated the dense canopy at this time of year inhibited its effectiveness. Still, I hope it is encouraging to Bruce's loved ones to see such aggressive and exhaustive SAR efforts have been taken and no resources left untapped.

From the article linked above...

“We have and continue to exhaust every resource,” Smith said. “We’ve used thermal imaging, but the canopy is so thick because of this time of the year, it’s hard to penetrate to get any type of reading and it’s the same with the drones.

“It’s thick cover and you just can’t see from the air, it’s the same with looking off overlooks, you have to get down in there and that’s what we’ve been doing.

'We're doing everything we can to find closure'

Looking to the future, I am wondering...
  • If the resort might lend or rent out personal locator beacons to guests hitting the trails. Would that have helped SAR in these conditions?
  • How can we improve thermal imaging technology or capabilities?
    In the recent cases I have followed where FLIR has been used, it did not result in any helpful hits. One was winter, two were not. (Missing hiker in fall/winter, Missing Child in Spring/Summer)

JMO.

<modsnip>
<modsnip>

You are correct, I live in Patrick County and know Primland very well, there are more than 1, 2, even 3 ways to walk out of that property without being seen. Even without going out the two gates. Not to mention you could get on the Appalachian trail and walk right to 58 is my understanding.
And yes, anyone could be picked up by a person driving by on the resorts road without even being seen.

I hope he is found safe and sound. But there are a lot of different things that could have happened. He could have been bit by a snake,, lost his glasses had a heart attack...anything could have sent him over one of the overlooks.. With that being said, if SAR aren't finding anything, you can't help but wonder, did Mr. Rubin leave the property on his own free will.

All of Primland IS NOT cliffs, and gorges. There are mountainsides all round, but some you are very capable of walking out on.

Hey everyone,

If you haven't already done so, please welcome friendofbrucerubin to the discussion. They have been Verified by WS as being Bruce's long time friend, and as such are able to post their knowledge and information about this case without having to provide links to what they state as fact.

As always, please be respectful and sensitive to our VI at all times (no bickering, challenging, rudeness, etc).

Thank you to friendofbrucerubin and to all our caring members for being here to discuss Bruce's disappearance.

MOD NOTE
To our newer members:
Welcome!
Websleuths is a fact-based website. Speculation is permitted only if it is based in fact. While we encourage discussion of possibilities in each case, the suggestions cannot be plucked from imagination only. There must be some basis in published fact. Wild theories are not permitted, and moderators make the judgement on what must be removed as a violation of our rules.

Thank you for participating in the discussions on Websleuths. We are grateful for your efforts to post respectfully and responsibly according to the Terms of Service we all agreed to when we joined.

Hey everyone,

If you haven't already done so, please welcome friendofbrucerubin to the discussion. They have been Verified by WS as being Bruce's long time friend, and as such are able to post their knowledge and information about this case without having to provide links to what they state as fact.

As always, please be respectful and sensitive to our VI at all times (no bickering, challenging, rudeness, etc).

Thank you to friendofbrucerubin and to all our caring members for being here to discuss Bruce's disappearance.
Thank you Sillybilly, and welcome friendofbruce. I am so sorry you have to be here under these circumstances, and I am so sorry you are missing your long time friend. I want to be able to help however I can. There has been a lot of discussion about various SAR techniques, protocols and equipment etc used in searches like those utilized for Bruce. This is a terribly difficult time of year in geographical locations like Primland for SAR to be able to utilize everything available to its' fullest capacity (such as FLIR, drones, flyovers etc.) Do you have a solid time line for when Bruce headed out and when he was expected back? And whether or not he typically paused along his route when he was training, such as to drink water, retie shoes, that sort of thing?

Hello all. Day 10. Bruce's body was found today by the Sheriff's Department a few hundred yards off the trail. That is all we know. Thank you all for your information, support, caring, love and just being with us during this difficult time. And of course so much thanks to the Sheriff, SAR, dog handlers, drone people, and everyone else who risked their own lives to find Bruce. This is awful and unimaginable news, but it does provide some measure of closure which we were so desperately needing, so that we can begin to heal.

friendofbruce, I am so incredibly sorry to hear this news. I am so sorry. The only thing I am glad about, is that it may provide some sense of closure for you and Bruce's other family and friends to give some space to heal. My thoughts and prayers are with you and Bruce's loved ones at this time.

Hello all. Day 10. Bruce's body was found today by the Sheriff's Department a few hundred yards off the trail. That is all we know. Thank you all for your information, support, caring, love and just being with us during this difficult time. And of course so much thanks to the Sheriff, SAR, dog handlers, drone people, and everyone else who risked their own lives to find Bruce. This is awful and unimaginable news, but it does provide some measure of closure which we were so desperately needing, so that we can begin to heal.
So sorry for your loss. Thinking of you all.

I’m so sorry to read this update & sorry for all of those who loved Bruce.

Maybe the run he was training so hard for someone can run in his name & honor.

Again, my condolences to all.

Please accept my deepest condolences on the loss of Bruce. My sympathies to all who love him. It sounds as though he was an incredible man who was loved by many.

Rest peacefully, Mr. Rubin.

Such a sad outcome. I am so very sorry for your loss. Prayers for Bruce and to his family and friends.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TexasCuriousMynd
Back