CA - Elizabeth Holmes (Theranos) Wire Fraud

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, agree with all you say. She's at the age when, if she has wanted to have kids, the time is now. So entirely realistic from that perspective.

But if she's faking, then I guess she will ostensibly have a late miscarriage or stillbirth. But -- isn't she in custody? Harder to hide a fake medical event from the legal system if so.

Like you, I don't actually think she's likely to be faking, I just don't trust that she wouldn't try. It's actually not all that distant a mindset from how things went at Theranos, in a way: "what I WANT to happen is more real than the facts of reality -- the facts will work themselves out somehow".

EH is not in custody of any kind.

This new podcast by Carreyrou (Bad Blood) IMO will be fantastic. Evidently, there was a lot more going down than public yet.

I’m so disappointed her trial has been delayed. Although she’s a complete fraud, I don’t think she’s faking the pregnancy. I’m sure it was planned as a get out of jail free card. She doesn’t strike me as the motherly type at all. I really hope judge and jury will be able to set aside her “motherhood” and deliver a just verdict and appropriate sentence.

I’m so disappointed her trial has been delayed. Although she’s a complete fraud, I don’t think she’s faking the pregnancy. I’m sure it was planned as a get out of jail free card. She doesn’t strike me as the motherly type at all. I really hope judge and jury will be able to set aside her “motherhood” and deliver a just verdict and appropriate sentence.

Agree. And as far as breast feeding goes she can use an electric pump and stock bottles for days on end.

Agree. And as far as breast feeding goes she can use an electric pump and stock bottles for days on end.

I might be way off base here but aren't there some situations where baby can stay with mother, even incarcerated, for some limited time frame like one year? Maybe when the mother hasn't given birth yet when locked up? I wonder if that is an option for her.

Seriously, I don't see the government prosecutor asking EH if she's a mother any more than I can see them asking Belwani if he's a father. It's truly irrelevant and has nothing to do with the charges alleged against them! Defendant EH is certainly not the first (or the last) new mother to ever face a trial!

To be clear, all federal court employees are covered under FLSA to have breaks to express breast milk when needed. I don't expect EH would be treated any differently than the Judge, her clerk, or bailiff, if they were in fact, nursing mothers.

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (P.L. 111-148, known as the “Affordable Care Act”) amended section 7 of the Fair Labor Standards Act (“FLSA”) to require employers to provide “reasonable break time for an employee to express breast milk for her nursing child for one year after the child’s birth each time such employee has need to express the milk.” Employers are also required to provide “a place, other than a bathroom, that is shielded from view and free from intrusion from coworkers and the public, which may be used by an employee to express breast milk.” See 29 U.S.C. 207(r).

Frequently Asked Questions – Break Time for Nursing Mothers | U.S. Department of Labor

Seriously, I don't see the government prosecutor asking EH if she's a mother any more than I can see them asking Belwani if he's a father. It's truly irrelevant and has nothing to do with the charges alleged against them! Defendant EH is certainly not the first (or the last) new mother to ever face a trial!

To be clear, all federal court employees are covered under FLSA to have breaks to express breast milk when needed. I don't expect EH would be treated any differently than the Judge, her clerk, or bailiff, if they were in fact, nursing mothers.

The Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (P.L. 111-148, known as the “Affordable Care Act”) amended section 7 of the Fair Labor Standards Act (“FLSA”) to require employers to provide “reasonable break time for an employee to express breast milk for her nursing child for one year after the child’s birth each time such employee has need to express the milk.” Employers are also required to provide “a place, other than a bathroom, that is shielded from view and free from intrusion from coworkers and the public, which may be used by an employee to express breast milk.” See 29 U.S.C. 207(r).

Frequently Asked Questions – Break Time for Nursing Mothers | U.S. Department of Labor
I agree with all of that. EH is being afforded the same consideration as other working mothers. But it’s relevant here IMO that she didn’t get any special consideration. The judge is hewing to the mandatory.
I think it’s likely that the baby thing was a manipulative ploy, and the judge made the manipulation a non-issue. The jury will never see EH with a baby or even a residual bump because of the timing the judge laid down. No playing the mommy card.
From what I’ve seen of EH, she expects special treatment. Ghislaine Maxwell is butting up against a similar no-nonsense approach (she refuses to flush or clean her jail toilet). This is going to be a fun fall. Two special snowflakes whose sense of entitlement will be challenged big time. Both have “take no prisoners” female judges.

It’s only delayed ‘til the end of August, though?
IMO the judge isn’t putting up with any entitled nonsense or manipulative maneuvers from the Defense.
Carreyrou says there’s a lot more damning info that hasn’t come out yet.

Per Judge's schedule Holmes trial up next - but I'll keep my eye out just in case there is hearing before trial

Tuesday, Aug 31 2021
09:00AM
5:18-cr-00258-EJD-1 - USA v. Elizabeth A. Holmes
AUSA: Jeffrey Schenk / DEF: Kevin Downey
Jury Selection

link: CALENDAR

Do we know anything about the attorneys? Prosecution has been winning most key pleadings, correct?

Still nothing before trial.

Tuesday, Aug 31 2021
Jury Selection

Wednesday, Sep 1 2021
Jury Selection

Tuesday, Sep 7 2021
Jury Trial

Wednesday, Sep 8 2021
Jury Trial

Still nothing before trial.

Tuesday, Aug 31 2021
Jury Selection

Wednesday, Sep 1 2021
Jury Selection

Tuesday, Sep 7 2021
Jury Trial

Wednesday, Sep 8 2021
Jury Trial

I recall two days set for answering the juror questionnaire but not sure if this will be submitted online/virtual hearing:

Three hundred potential jurors from northern California will be summoned to complete a questionnaire on August 19 and 20. In-person jury selection and voir dire (juror questioning) will take place on August 31.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/06/15/eli...-concerned-about-finding-unbiased-jurors.html

ETA: Federal Court docket for the case has a significant amount of data under seal so this has to be affecting MSM reporting as well.

Last edited:
This is going to be a fun fall. Two special snowflakes whose sense of entitlement will be challenged big time. Both have “take no prisoners” female judges.
^^rs&bbm

Please share this updated info ASAP!

As late as the July 7 widely reported news re. hearing to suppress evidence on the Theranos Laboratory Information System database (LIS), U.S. District Judge Edward Davila was still hearing this case.

It's also Davila's calendar I provided @Niner and sure Niner will appreciate the correction too!

CALENDAR

^^rs&bbm

Please share this updated info ASAP!

As late as the July 7 widely reported news re. hearing to suppress evidence on the Theranos Laboratory Information System database (LIS), U.S. District Judge Edward Davila was still hearing this case.

It's also Davila's calendar I provided @Niner and sure Niner will appreciate the correction too!

CALENDAR
I stand corrected on the gender of EH's judge. Thanks @Seattle1
The judge in the Ghislaine Maxwell case is a woman.

@Seattle1 - thanks for those dates - 8/9 & 8/10 - will put her on those days. I don't recall seeing that before. Wonder "why" it's not on the Judge's schedule - ??

Ah HA! Looked again!!

Monday, Aug 9 2021
- *** CALENDAR CLOSED OUT FOR FURTHER SET***
10:00AM
5:18-cr-00258-EJD - USA v. Elizabeth Holmes
For connection information, please see the judge's page.
Motion for Miscellaneous Relief

5:18-cr-00258-EJD-2 - USA v. Ramesh Sunny Balwani
AUSA: Jeffrey Schenk / DEF: Jeffrey Coopersmith
Motion for Miscellaneous Relief

Tuesday, Aug 31 2021

Jury Selection

Wednesday, Sep 1 2021

Jury Selection

Tuesday, Sep 7 2021

Jury Trial

Wednesday, Sep 8 2021

Jury Trial

Friday, Sep 10 2021

Jury Trial

Nothing on 8/10 though...

@Seattle1 - thanks for those dates - 8/9 & 8/10 - will put her on those days. I don't recall seeing that before. Wonder "why" it's not on the Judge's schedule - ??

Hmmm... I'm not sure where the dates 8/9 & 8/10 came from?

300 jurors expected to complete a questionnaire on 8/19 - 8/20. Maybe this task does not require the Judge's presence or will be submitted remotely so not on Judge's calendar?

Three hundred potential jurors from northern California will be summoned to complete a questionnaire on August 19 and 20.
^^sbm

Hmmm... I'm not sure where the dates 8/9 & 8/10 came from?

I don't either! LOL! :D

But now I do see she has a motions hearing on 8/9. Must be psychic!

300 jurors expected to complete a questionnaire on 8/19 - 8/20. Maybe this task does not require the Judge's presence or will be submitted remotely so not on Judge's calendar?

^^sbm

I'll put these down on my notes - 8/19 - 8/20. No they are not "yet" on the Judge's calendar - but I usually check every day.
Maybe those are non hearings - they questionnaires might just be done by those dates.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shmoozie