SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
No doubt there are cases of prosecutorial misconduct, but at some point you have to trust the process or no judicial proceedings would ever be "fair".

Just as your faith in the media has been frayed, so has mine in certain cases regarding the process and the judicial proceedings. Once bitten, twice shy. I know that there are reliable media with no agenda, and dedicated LE…but unfortunately, my experience has left me with a skeptical nature.

IIRC, the grand jury was convened in Beaufort County while PMPED is based in Hampton County.
"Randolph Murdaugh, elevating him[self] from a one-man law practice to one of the region’s most powerful law enforcement offices. It was the beginning of a legal dynasty: For more than eight decades, until 2006, three generations of the Murdaugh family prosecuted crime across five counties and 3,200 square miles."

Their influence spans 5 counties for more than eight decades. That's a lot of influence and connections.

A Mother and Son Are Found Murdered, Deepening a Mystery in South Carolina

"Randolph Murdaugh, elevating him[self] from a one-man law practice to one of the region’s most powerful law enforcement offices. It was the beginning of a legal dynasty: For more than eight decades, until 2006, three generations of the Murdaugh family prosecuted crime across five counties and 3,200 square miles."

Their influence spans 5 counties for more than eight decades. That's a lot of influence and connections.

A Mother and Son Are Found Murdered, Deepening a Mystery in South Carolina

BBM

The general public elected them as solicitors.

Owning a home does not mean you are as well known to the GP there as in county where your practice is based.

But they were well known to one of the lead investigators…first responders…whose wife worked for the law firm.

https://www.islandpacket.com/news/local/crime/article252618993.html

‘In one interview, former S.C. Department of Natural Resources officer and current S.C. Law Enforcement Division agent Michael Brock, the lead investigator of the crash, admits to being moved to an assisting role because of his relationship to the Murdaugh family — a relationship he disclosed to his team. Brock, in his deposition, also claims that he didn’t remember recording an interview with Anthony Cook, one of the occupants of the boat, even though his police report from the scene indicates five separate times that he did, according to the deposition.

During an interview with Brock, Anthony Cook indicated that Paul Murdaugh had killed Cook’s girlfriend, according to the deposition. Brock said Cook could have said that, but he didn’t remember, according to the deposition.

SCDNR officer Austin Pritcher, according to his deposition, said Brock’s relationship to the Murdaugh family became an issue during the investigation. Pritcher and Brock, in their depositions, say that Brock’s wife, Sarah, used to work for the Murdaugh law firm. ‘

But they were well known to one of the lead investigators…first responders…whose wife worked for the law firm.

‘In one interview, former S.C. Department of Natural Resources officer and current S.C. Law Enforcement Division agent Michael Brock, the lead investigator of the crash, admits to being moved to an assisting role because of his relationship to the Murdaugh family — a relationship he disclosed to his team. Brock, in his deposition, also claims that he didn’t remember recording an interview with Anthony Cook, one of the occupants of the boat, even though his police report from the scene indicates five separate times that he did, according to the deposition.

During an interview with Brock, Anthony Cook indicated that Paul Murdaugh had killed Cook’s girlfriend, according to the deposition. Brock said Cook could have said that, but he didn’t remember, according to the deposition.

SCDNR officer Austin Pritcher, according to his deposition, said Brock’s relationship to the Murdaugh family became an issue during the investigation. Pritcher and Brock, in their depositions, say that Brock’s wife, Sarah, used to work for the Murdaugh law firm. ‘

OK, but I thought we were discussing the empaneled grand jury, not the crash investigators.

DBM

Just as your faith in the media has been frayed, so has mine in certain cases regarding the process and the judicial proceedings. Once bitten, twice shy. I know that there are reliable media with no agenda, and dedicated LE…but unfortunately, my experience has left me with a skeptical nature.

The media is usually driven by competition and that will often lead to good honest reports. I can promise you that even if the smaller outlet(s) are interested in keeping something low key due to not wanting the community to “look bad” or worry over certain people’s status, other outlets who want the story or “scoop” will flush out the truth. It’s a very competitive field.

BBM

The general public elected them as solicitors.
Yes indeed the ones who voted, not always a good barometer though. It's why it's sooo important for everyone eligible to always vote.

I don't know who all ran against the Murdaugh legal dynasty and how the opponents campaigns might have been compromised. It's not always handle fairly. You've said you greatly distrust the media so I'm sure you understand what I mean, how they can greatly influence elections too.

I’m posting this article because it demonstrates that the accusations of alleged Murdaugh favoritism and privilege…that may have fueled the motive for these murders…was not confined to social media.

When we discuss an airline crash, we cannot ignore the weather. This article reports the storm building in that area over two years ago.

The issue was no longer just gossip on FB pages…it entered the realm of professional reporting and opinion editorial with a wide reach in the area. The Island Packet for example is owned by the McClatchy group…which owns the following SC newspapers.

The Beaufort Gazette, Beaufort

The State, Columbia

The Island Packet, Hilton Head Island

The Sun News, Myrtle Beach

The Herald, Rock Hill

We have discussed that the pandemic caused legal backups that help explain why PM had not yet gone to trial. But PM also had his travel restriction removed in his favor during this time….which could only have reinforced the feelings of his ‘special handling’ compared to the average person. Two years had passed…and, in my opinion, faith in the justice system treating him as any other citizen might have been treated, was vastly depleted.

The impact of the public sentiment from this first case has not dissipated in my opinion. Hopefully LE is being scrupulous to remove anyone who ever moved anywhere within the M influence circles…far away from the case. It is imperative that the public have full confidence THIS time. This is why I feel it is puzzling that the Solicitor does not step aside….if for nothing more…than to reassure the people he serves.

The description of the interaction in court describes what drives public concern…today…in this now internationally followed case.

https://www.islandpacket.com/opinion/opn-columns-blogs/liz-farrell/article230068069.html

“Someone did not get the memo on how things “normally” proceed at the Beaufort County Courthouse.

That person would be the detention center guard, who on Monday — after Judge Steven John set Paul Murdaugh’s bond at $50,000 — mistakenly took that as a cue to do his job and came jingle-jangling over to young Murdaugh to cuff him and take him to jail, where, ostensibly, Murdaugh would have been booked, processed and released like all the non-Murdaughs are after they’ve been charged with three felony counts of boating under the influence in a fatal boat crash.

The guard walked up to Murdaugh with the assuredness of someone who has done this many times before ... almost, dare I say, “routinely.”

Murdaugh, who is 20, regarded the man with the type of assessment you might give a cater waiter who has a raging case of pink eye but is still offering you a canape off his tray.

Actually, that’s not a good characterization.

Murdaugh’s expression was more like, “Handcuffs? No, no. There’s been some sort of mix-up. I’m not here to be arrested. I’m here to be ‘arrested.’ Like the summer intern version of arrested.”

For a moment, he appeared to be terrified that life was about to break a certain way for him, that several generations of the history, wealth, influence and power baked into his DNA were about to crumble away and expose the gooey, undercooked, terrible-tasting middle.

But fear not, all he had to do was wait four more seconds.

That’s when South Carolina Attorney General’s Office prosecutor Megan Burchstead — who works for you, by the way, and who never once said the name “Mallory Beach” out loud nor made any solid subject-verb request on behalf of the state when it came to Murdaugh’s bond, though she did hint that his potential alcohol consumption might be a “concern” for society — came through for the child and shooed away the overzealous guard.

Can you imagine the thought of getting handcuffed when you’re arrested?

Yes, you can.”

Thank you, @stmarysmead, for this well-thought out, superbly insightful post.

Greatly appreciated!

I will ask you a simple question - would you as PM's father not have bailed him out, made him wear a SCRAM ankle monitor, restricted him to house arrest for possibly years, and not hired him the best lawyer you knew ? Remember he is your son ...

I will answer, as I only can, with my opinion as a parent. And I’m answering on only opinions formed by the depositions. And they are just that…opinions.

I believe PM really needed help. He had already been through a court ordered alcohol program. The boat crash would have upset me on more than one level. I would be terrified that the next boating accident victim would be my son.

Depositions show who attended the parties before the crash. Although there were family members there, no one had the authority over those young people to say…”Give us those boat keys…you are going home with us!” That would have scared me as a parent too.

Why was he seemingly subjected to no control against poor judgement?

I think I would have opted for tough love and made that known.

He needed to be ‘scared straight.’

PM’s future would not be ruined. There is enough family money and influence that, once recovered, he could have had a very good life.

Snipped by me

No control because he had disposable cash, cars, boats and time on his hands. No control b/c his father was extremely busy with his law practice and his mother didn't feel the need to babysit an almost 20-year-old as he had an older brother.

None of us know what AM/MM tried with PM to get him under control. With some kids, it doesn't matter how hard you try - the kids are destined to screw up. PM might have been a convincing, pathological liar. Easy to say tough love when it's not your kid.

Edit - I will add we also don't know the dynamics of the relationship between AM/PM. Quite possibly, AM favored BM and PM was the ne'er do well. PM might have resented that and as a result became the rebel.

JMO

Last edited:
I will ask you a simple question - would you as PM's father not have bailed him out, made him wear a SCRAM ankle monitor, restricted him to house arrest for possibly years, and not hired him the best lawyer you knew ? Remember he is your son ...
One night in 2017 I made one of the hardest decisions I've ever made. And that was in the midst of relatives and friends breathing down my neck. Without going into any great detail I was the only one with the legal right to go and retrieve my daughter from the jail.

In my town, when someone abuses alcohol and drinks nyquil in there own home, they take them by ambulance to the ER. Then from there they don't release them back home. They go straight to the county jail to dry out for one night.

She had been on a path that I could not turn her around from, no matter what I did. I made the decision that night not to bail her out, not to go and get her, not to retrieve her, but I made her stay there that night.

It scared her so bad, and to this day she tells me that was her turning point for sobering up. And she was in a cell completely alone away from other people.

So yes, I did remember that she was my daughter, and a very specific targeted way. And my daughter is alive today because I made that decision then.

Yes indeed the ones who voted, not always a good barometer though. It's why it's sooo important for everyone eligible to always vote.

I don't know who all ran against the Murdaugh legal dynasty and how the opponents campaigns might have been compromised. It's not always handle fairly. You've said you greatly distrust the media so I'm sure you understand what I mean, how they can greatly influence elections too.

I’m not sure about that district but I can offer an example of how the solicitors office can be held by 1 area. The 16th is made up of York county, which is basically south Charlotte NC, and Union county, a rural much lower population across the river. It is just about mathematically impossible for a solicitor to be elected from the latter due to voting base. Spartanburg/Cherokee counties is another judicial district that is dominated by one vote base.

I will answer, as I only can, with my opinion as a parent. And I’m answering on only opinions formed by the depositions. And they are just that…opinions.

I believe PM really needed help. He had already been through a court ordered alcohol program. The boat crash would have upset me on more than one level. I would be terrified that the next boating accident victim would be my son.

Depositions show who attended the parties before the crash. Although there were family members there, no one had the authority over those young people to say…”Give us those boat keys…you are going home with us!” That would have scared me as a parent too.

He needed to be ‘scared straight.’

PM’s future would not be ruined. There is enough family money and influence that, once recovered, he could have had a very good life.
Yes tough love is critical. Because not only will it save your son or your daughter's life, it may save other people.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member