SC - Paul Murdaugh, 22 and mom Margaret, 52, found shot to death, Islandton, 7 June 2021 #3

Status
Not open for further replies.
One thing I find odd about this case is how LE could so quickly state they “secured the crime scene” or how AM could be sure his brothers would be safe coming there?

The place is huge with the main house a few football fields away and vast stretches of woods, etc. How could AM a know there wouldn’t be snipers watching from some hidden vantage point?

As for LE, I think it would take a small army fanning out when they first arrived, to feel the place was “secured.” Anyone remember when in the time in the released LE statements that they made that statement?

I realize AM was in shock…but calling his brothers to come right away to that isolated huge expanse…reminds me a bit of the Ramseys reading the ransom note. It said “we are watching…if you call LE, your child dies.”

So they called their best friends and told them all to hurry over at 6am in the morning.

Just what I've read about the ongoing investigations, it paints a picture, IMO

Edit: I will update this to include that I've never read anything but good opinions about MM and some very good ones about Buster also.
When it was announced SS’s case was being reopened It seems most everyone’s mind (my own included) assumed one of two reasons why SS’s case was reopened as a result of the Murdough murders:

1.). The murders were retaliation for SS’s death
or
2). The press coverage of the dubious handling of SS’s investigation necessitated the re-opening in order to avoid further accusations of corruption/favoritism

One possibility I don’t remember discussing: 3) Paul and Steven may have been killed by the same person for similar reasons. It could be anything. Perhaps they both knew something that represented a threat to someone if uncovered. Perhaps they both crossed the same person—a drug dealer, arms trader or car mechanic. Maybe they both drove on the same guys grass. Or a self-appointed vigilante is cleaning up the streets by eliminating local “undesirables”. Like drunk hoodlums who slap their girlfriend and kill people by smashing boats into retaining walls. Or a person Or individuals using/spreading drugs in the community. And innocent youngsters who happen to be gay.

Personally I subscribe to Theory 2. But I think #1 and #3 are both viable. In fact if SS’s investigation was still open and hadn’t been botched and PM was just your average rich kid bad boy I probably would have leaned towards a single killer (or killing team) from the start.

One thing I find odd about this case is how LE could so quickly state they “secured the crime scene” or how AM could be sure his brothers would be safe coming there?

The place is huge with the main house a few football fields away and vast stretches of woods, etc. How could AM a know there wouldn’t be snipers watching from some hidden vantage point?

As for LE, I think it would take a small army fanning out when they first arrived, to feel the place was “secured.” Anyone remember when in the time in the released LE statements that they made that statement?

I realize AM was in shock…but calling his brothers to come right away to that isolated huge expanse…reminds me a bit of the Ramseys reading the ransom note. It said “we are watching…if you call LE, your child dies.”

So they called their best friends and told them all to hurry over at 6am in the morning.

Another reason to believe either PM or MM was the target and no one else. Same as LE saying the public had nothing to worry about. My theory still stands that PM was targeted and some symbol/message left at the scene saying mission accomplished.

When it was announced SS’s case was being reopened It seems most everyone’s mind (my own included) assumed one of two reasons why SS’s case was reopened as a result of the Murdough murders:

or
2). The press coverage of the dubious handling of SS’s investigation necessitated the re-opening in order to avoid further accusations of corruption/favoritism

One possibility I don’t remember discussing: 3) Paul and Steven may have been killed by the same person for similar reasons. It could be anything. Perhaps they both knew something that represented a threat to someone if uncovered. Perhaps they both crossed the same person—a drug dealer, arms trader or car mechanic. Maybe they both drove on the same guys grass. Or a self-appointed vigilante is cleaning up the streets by eliminating local “undesirables”. Like drunk hoodlums who slap their girlfriend and kill people by smashing boats into retaining walls. Or a person Or individuals using/spreading drugs in the community. And innocent youngsters who happen to be gay.

Personally I subscribe to Theory 2. But I think #1 and #3 are both viable. In fact if SS’s investigation was still open and hadn’t been botched and PM was just your average rich kid bad boy I probably would have leaned towards a single killer (or killing team) from the start.

#1 is definitely viable and LE knew immediately it was a revenge killing for SS and possibly MB.

A message left at the scene might have prompted LE to say the property was clear of intruders, the public was safe, and the SS investigation would be reopened.

or

Building on your theory, what if, with his own trial somewhere on the horizon, PM decided to bargain for a better deal. Maybe he was willing to give evidence about SS’s death…reveal what happened and who was involved?

Had he already started talking? If so, AM would know this and relay to LE. Perhaps AM was the source of “new information” that caused the SS case to be reopened.

Just guessing here…

Building on your theory, what if, with his own trial somewhere on the horizon, PM decided to bargain for a better deal. Maybe he was willing to give evidence about SS’s death…reveal what happened and who was involved?

Had he already started talking? If so, AM would know this and relay to LE. Perhaps AM was the source of “new information” that caused the SS case to be reopened.

Just guessing here…

I don't think PM thought he was even going to jail with his powerhouse team of lawyers.

That sounds like an unbalanced way of things. My husband over the years has moaned about our small town, while growing into a larger town, redistricting. It can be an inconvenience in voting but at least the town was trying to maintain a voting population balance. Every state and their towns and cities are different in the way they try or don't try to keep balance voting.

Your approach in the USA simply baffles most of the rest of us. We don't elect sheriffs or solicitors here in Canada. We rely on a stable organization of government workers independent of the political system.

Your approach in the USA simply baffles most of the rest of us. We don't elect sheriffs or solicitors here in Canada. We rely on a stable organization of government workers independent of the political system.

We could do that here but there's no such thing as a stable organization of government workers independent of the political system.

Last edited:
We could do that here but there's no such thing as a stable organization of government workers independent of the political system.

Perhaps that's because you've never experienced one of those places. Yes, politics is always a factor, but when it is far removed from local politics, the major political parties simply don't factor in.

Not everywhere has elected sheriffs or DAs. I'm in the Northeast we have hired Chief of Police, hired State Police Commissioners and appointed town or city prosecutors. We do in my state elect our States Attorney General by the General Assembly, the State House of Reps and State Senate, voting them in.

Edit: We elect on ballot the local constables but they don't have any real investigative powers.

Not everywhere has elected sheriffs or DAs. I'm in the Northeast we have hired Chief of Police, hired State Police Commissioners and appointed town or city prosecutors. We do in my state elect our States Attorney General by the General Assembly, the State House of Reps and State Senate, voting them in.

Thank you for this info. I didn't know that.

My apologies to others, as I didn't want to start a political discussion, it was actually to simply suggest that in other locales you don't see 'elected' law enforcement officials, but rather officials that are promoted into the position after working their way up through the organization, just like hospitals. That reduces the influence of local, powerful people on law enforcement.

or

I subscribe to Theory #2 as well. I think they recognize that the case was handled poorly and they can't let that lie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong