Baby Crib Recall-Graco & Simplicity

gidget641

Trust me I am not a people person
Reaction score
I know many members of WS have small children. (myself included). Just saw this on the 10 pm news. I just checked my sons crib and his is one of the affected cribs and I have the part in question installed INCORRECTLY! (no wonder it never worked right!) I just pulled him out of it and stuck him in my bed with daddy.

So please if you have any of these brands of cribs CHECK them!

1 million Simplicity, Graco baby cribs recalled after 3 children die from entrapment

September 21, 2007 (WASHINGTON) - About 1 million Simplicity and Graco cribs are being recalled after three children became entrapped in their cribs and died of suffocation, the Consumer Product Safety Commission said Friday.

Two infants, a 6-month-old and a 9-month-old, died in the recalled cribs, which were sold through May 2007. A 1-year-old child died in a newer model of the cribs, which has not been recalled but is being investigated by the safety agency, CPSC officials said.

Commission spokesman Ed Kang would not comment on when or where the children died. Simplicity spokesman Joe Householder said the company will not release further details about the deaths out of respect for the families.

full story at link http://abclocal.go.com/wls/story?section=alerts_recalls&id=5668706

Seems they would have the top clearly marked, or have brackets that will only fit if assembled properly. It doesn't that hard for the companies to do. I can't imagine how the parents of the infants that died feel. Glad you saw the news on that gidget and your baby is safe!!!

Gidget~ Please be careful of letting the child sleep with an adult, too. Rolling over on a child is possible and scares me as much as the beds do!

Thanks for the post, I have one of these cribs. Luckily my daughter always refused to sleep in it so it sat for two years and is in our attic. I am going to get the replacement and sell it.

Seems they would have the top clearly marked, or have brackets that will only fit if assembled properly. It doesn't that hard for the companies to do. I can't imagine how the parents of the infants that died feel. Glad you saw the news on that gidget and your baby is safe!!!

I am a bit disgusted with the way the press release was written to sound as if the consumers installed the brackets. The brackets on mine were FACTORY installed.

The instructions for this particular crib really were poorly illustrated as well. I think it took me over 2 hours to assemble the darn thing. Not including the trundle drawer that came with it.

What ever happened to cribs like the one I had for my older son? It took less than 10 minutes to assemble, I could assemble it alone, it was better construction, and most importantly THE PIECES COULD ONLY GO ONE WAY!

Gidget~ Please be careful of letting the child sleep with an adult, too. Rolling over on a child is possible and scares me as much as the beds do!

SS-don't worry Tyler is 2 and owns the bed when he sleeps with us. I get 1/2 inch, hubby gets 1/2 inch and Ty gets the rest of the bed! I actually woke up this morning with his heal in my eye. My first thought was gee I wish someone else had seen this and taken a picture.

I also had one of these and my daughter also refused to sleep in it. I gave it away.

SS-don't worry Tyler is 2 and owns the bed when he sleeps with us. I get 1/2 inch, hubby gets 1/2 inch and Ty gets the rest of the bed! I actually woke up this morning with his heal in my eye. My first thought was gee I wish someone else had seen this and taken a picture.

My DH works 3rds so needless to say my two kids always want to sleep with mom, my son who just turned 9 and my daughter who will be 3 next month. I have given up. I wait until they go to sleep and then I go to sleep in my daughter's bed. They kick all night and squish me all the way to the edge also with the occasional foot or fist in the face. They can have the dang bed, :doh:

We have this crib, my son was in it from birth to 18 months and we never had a problem with it, side went up & down as it was supposed to.

I don't recall if we installed the brackets or if they came installed.

I feel for the parents who have been affected by this.

We have this crib and my husband put the hardware on wrong wich turned out to be the right way b/c her felt the other way wasn't secure. I am so tired of the recalls. we spend good money on all of this junk and it is owrthless and has the ability to kill and injure our kids.
I has twins so i bought 2 of these cribs, I spent with the shipping over 400 dollars. I sepnt that much movey on something that could have killed my precious babies. Not to mention my lead paint toys. :furious:

I just got this e-mail from Target. I was pretty sure this was my crib, this confirms it. Always register your stuff.

Greetings from Target.com.

We have recently learned that Simplicity Inc., in cooperation with the
U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC), is voluntarily
recalling certain models of cribs. The recalled Simplicity crib models
include: Aspen 3 in 1, Aspen 4 in 1, Nursery-in-a-Box, Crib N Changer Combo,
and Chelsea and Pooh 4 in 1. The recall also involves the following
Simplicity cribs that used the Graco logo: Aspen 3 in 1, Ultra 3 in 1,
Ultra 4 in1, Ultra 5 in 1, Whitney and the Trio. The recalled cribs have
one of the following model numbers, which can be found on the envelope
attached to the mattress support and on the label attached to the
headboard: 4600, 4605, 4705, 5000, 8000, 8324, 8800, 8740, 8910, 8994, 8050,
8750, 8760, and 8996.

The drop-side can detach from the crib, which can create a dangerous
gap and lead to the entrapment and suffocation of infants. The drop-side
failures result from both the hardware and crib design, which allow
consumers to unintentionally install the drop-side upside down. This, in
turn, can weaken the hardware and cause the drop-side to detach from
the crib. When the drop-side detaches, it creates a gap in which infants
can become entrapped. CPSC is also aware of two incidents that occurred
when the drop-side was correctly installed with older style hardware,
though the upside down installation greatly increases the risk of
failure.

The cribs were sold in department stores, children's stores and mass
merchandisers nationwide from January 1998 through May 2007 for between
$100 and $300.

Our records indicate that you have purchased one of the Simplicity
cribs listed in this recall through the Target.com website and are
therefore affected by this recall.

As an immediate precaution, consumers should check to see if the
drop-side is installed right side up. To do this, check to see that the
slightly rounded rail with the decorative groove is installed at the top and
the plain rail is on the bottom. Next, consumers should make sure the
drop-side is securely attached to the tracks in all four corners.

If the drop-side is installed upside down or not securely attached,
consumers should stop using the crib immediately. Incorrect installation
can cause permanent damage to the hardware and re-installing the
drop-side using the same hardware is unsafe.

Consumers should check to see if their crib contains the recalled
hardware. Recalled hardware has a flexible tab at the bottom of the lower
tracks and the top of the lower tracks are open. Newer hardware, which is
not subject to the recall, has the flexible tab located at the top of
the lower track, and a permanent stop at the bottom.

Consumers who have a crib with older style hardware can receive a free
repair by immediately contacting Simplicity toll-free at (888) 593-9274
between 8:30 a.m. and 10 p.m. ET Monday through Thursday, between 8
a.m. and 5 p.m. ET on Friday, and between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. ET on
Saturday, or by visiting the firm's Web site at www.simplicityforchildren.com

Consumers who have a crib with newer style hardware and have installed
the drop-side upside down or have broken hardware, should also contact
Simplicity immediately.
You may also find additional details, and photographs of old and new
hardware, on the CPSC bulletin at
http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml07/07307.html.

If you purchased this item as a gift for someone, please notify the
recipient immediately and provide them with the information in the CPSC
bulletin concerning these safety issues.

We regret the inconvenience this recall has caused you but trust you
will understand that the safety of our guests is our highest priority.

Thanks for shopping at Target.com.

I don't recall if we installed the brackets or if they came installed.

You know normally I would be like um yeah I have no idea if I installed the brackets or if they were already attached when I opened the box. Except this time my smart azz teenager thought that it was hilarious that I was putting this crib together-as in he thought I was not going to be able to accomplish this. (guess he thinks the crib fairies put his together when he was a baby)
So he decide that this was an event to be captured on video tape. from me sliding the box into the nursery right up to putting the sheets on the mattress. So I know without a doubt that I did not attach the brackets.

I am so tired of the recalls. we spend good money on all of this junk and it is owrthless and has the ability to kill and injure our kids.

19 years ago when I had my first son, not ONE item I had for him was recalled. I am starting to wonder if all the safety recalls are due to companies trying to find a cheaper way to manufacture a product, while still charging more money and they are skimping on the testing process.

Not to mention my lead paint toys. :furious:

Yes I have several of these too! Not to mention I had purchased some of these toys as gifts. A few of them I had already given to other children, some are were put away as christmas gifts. Not only did I have to call the parents of the kids I gave gifts to, (just in case they did not hear about the recall) I had to send back most of the stuff I had bought for my nieces and nephews for christmas, AND NOW I HAVE TO START MY CHRISTMAS SHOPPING ALL OVER! I was done with all the extended family children!

I don't even know what my kids can and can't play with anymore. Jeez, it is irritating. When are these companies going to respect their consumers more and start giving us the quality merchandise we pay for. We work too hard for our money to spend it on subpar junk like this.
My mom said the same thing as you Gidget, my sister and I are 30 and 27. We both used the same crib, play yard, swing, and baby toys and not a one of them was ever recalled. Same companies like Fischer Price but 3 decades later, what gives? there was never a problem. Jeez, our play pan was this metal folding thing that looked unstable but it never collapsed or anything.

I bought a crib that doesn't even have a drop down rail -honestly, they scare me. I was always afraid it would drop and my daughter would fall out. This time around, I bought a huge sleigh thing with a side that is just part of the crib that never drops... I have to bend over a bit, but my son just stands up now when I come in the room, so it doesn't matter!

I bought a crib that doesn't even have a drop down rail -honestly, they scare me. I was always afraid it would drop and my daughter would fall out. This time around, I bought a huge sleigh thing with a side that is just part of the crib that never drops... I have to bend over a bit, but my son just stands up now when I come in the room, so it doesn't matter!

We contemplated one of those, but I'm short. When you have to drop down the mattress when they get bigger, it's much harder. I tried not using the drop down for a long time because I just didn't want to deal with it, and it was tough. But hey, what's a bruised rib to save your baby's life?

19 years ago when I had my first son, not ONE item I had for him was recalled. I am starting to wonder if all the safety recalls are due to companies trying to find a cheaper way to manufacture a product, while still charging more money and they are skimping on the testing process.

Yes I have several of these too! Not to mention I had purchased some of these toys as gifts. A few of them I had already given to other children, some are were put away as christmas gifts. Not only did I have to call the parents of the kids I gave gifts to, (just in case they did not hear about the recall) I had to send back most of the stuff I had bought for my nieces and nephews for christmas, AND NOW I HAVE TO START MY CHRISTMAS SHOPPING ALL OVER! I was done with all the extended family children!
That is horrible! Take back the presents kiddos... Sorry!

My husband and I actually purchased the SImplicity crib and when we got it home, it was the cheapest thing you could ever imagine. When we opened the box, it was damaged, looked like someone (I know this was more than likely someone in the store) stepped on it and the side of the crib, which looked like particle board was cracked. There was a very sharp piece of "wood" poking out and when I saw that, I took it back and paid the extra $200 for a better quality crib.

BTW, our friend has one and swears by it....she was the reason we bought it in the first place.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wdavewong
Back