GUILTY CO - Dylan Nicholas Redwine, 13, Vallecito, 19 Nov 2012 *father arrested* #5

I am from the U.K. so different justice system but I am amazed that none of the jury can discuss the case as it’s on going together. That seems so weird to me as here I have done Jury Service twice and you all get a private room where you are sent to where you can discuss the case and wait stuff out when Judge and co all discuss things we are not privy to. There simply was no way we wouldn’t discuss it together as it went along as so much information to take on board and things can be forgotten.

It seems completely unrealistic to me that they wouldn’t discuss it amongst themselves anyway as you are all in the same boat.

Moo

Last edited:
I am from the U.K. so different justice system but I am amazed that none of the jury can discuss the case as it’s on going together. That seems so weird to me as here I have done Jury Service twice and you all get a private room where you are sent to where you can discuss the case and wait stuff out when Judge and co all discuss things we are not privy to. There simply was no way we wouldn’t discuss it together as it went along as so much information to take on board and things can be forgotten.

It seems completely unrealistic to me that they wouldn’t discuss it amongst themselves anyway as you are all in the same boat.

Moo
I have been on juries before and it felt sacrosanct to follow the judges orders and not discuss anything until deliberations officially began. We knew if we violated that rule a mistrial would be called, we'd be sent home, and the prosecution would have to start again. In my experiences while in the jury room before deliberations, the door to the back hallway was open, the judge's assistant in and out, etc. so the environment was not private and not conducive to any discussion anyway. When deliberations officially began, the whole atmosphere changed - doors closed, assistants and bailiffs knocked before entering etc. It was very clear when we were allowed to discuss and when not.

ETA: I watch a lot of British telly (real life, yeah?) and am always surprised by the differences in how the trials work. Very similar, yet different.

Last edited:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
julandken
Back