Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #64 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mysti88c

Reaction score
A Chaffee County woman is missing after a neighbor said she went out for a bike ride Sunday and never returned
Chaffee County woman missing since Sunday after neighbor said she went out for bike ride

List of Case Players and Their Relationship to Discussion (Post #440)

MEDIA, MAPS & TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

Detailed timeline of events in the Morphew case:
CO - CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 , MEDIA, MAPS &TIMELINE *NO DISCUSSION*

Suzanne Morphew Case Archive (developed and maintained by WS member AmandaReckonwith)

Suzanne Morphew FB page
Suzanne Morphew Twitter page

Verified Experts/Professionals/Insiders posting in this thread:

10ofRods is a Verified Anthropologist
Angleterre is a Verified LE from England
riolove77 is a Verified Attorney (prosecutor)
Alethea is a Verified Attorney (defense)
otto is a Verified Expert
Chomsky is a Verified Attorney
angelainwi is a Certified Trauma Counselor
gitana1 is a Verified Attorney
Cassidy is a Verified Attorney
lamlawindy is a Verified Attorney (former Prosecutor, now Defence)
NatureLover (Verified friend of the Moorman family)

Thread #41 Thread #42 Thread #43 Thread #44 Thread #45 Thread #46 Thread #47 Thread #48 Thread #49 Thread #50 Thread #51 Thread #52 Thread #53 Thread #54 Thread #55 Thread #56 Thread #57 Thread #58 Thread #59 Thread #60 Thread #61 Thread #62 Thread #63

Last edited by a moderator:
Please continue discussion here in accordance with The Rules:

Quick rundown of reminders from prior threads:

Rumors are not allowed.

*As Barry Morphew has now been charged with Suzanne's murder, he and his businesses are now open to sleuthing.*

Do not sleuth or make accusations against anyone who is not an officially named POI/suspect.

If an approved source discusses rumors or family members, it is still NOT allowed to do so at Websleuths. WS has different standards.

Preview your posts to avoid broken quotes.

Lengthy personal anecdotes are off topic. Stay on topic.

Discuss the case and not each other; state your opinion and move one without arguing or bickering.

Random youtube videos or blogs are not allowed unless approval is given by Tricia or Admin.

Approved sources are MSM, LE, Profiling Evil podcast, Lauren Scharf podcast or social media, Investigation Discovery, Crimeonline, Tyson Draper (only the interview with Barry Morphew), public documents.

Do not discuss removed posts or question/challenge moderation on the thread. Doing so is subject to an automatic Time Out.

(* Admin Edit: to indicate that sleuthing Barry Morphew is now allowed)

Mod Reminder Falls at Random:

Links are required to be included in posts making statements of fact. If no link is included, the post along with those that quoted the post will be removed.

Thanks

I never did hear back from Lauren in regard to her conversation with the DA about the reason for this surprise hearing.

I have a strong suspicion though that it has to deal with evidence that the defense has not yet received.

Interesting study on the profound link between narcissism and violence.

“The link between narcissism and aggression was found for all dimensions of narcissism and for a variety of types of aggression. Results were similar regardless of gender, age, whether they were college students, or country of residence.

It is a pretty straightforward message: Narcissism is a significant risk factor for aggressive and violent behavior across the board.”

Narcissism linked to aggression in review of 437 studies

I never did hear back from Lauren in regard to her conversation with the DA about the reason for this surprise hearing.

I have a strong suspicion though that it has to deal with evidence that the defense has not yet received.

Yes, that would be the best way to delay the Preliminary, without canceling it.

If the defense were to claim that. Since there's likely a lot more evidence coming in, it's a good ploy to delay things.

But the Court isn't going to have patience with that kind of thing forever and next week is plenty of time for the mean ole prosecution to get those last pieces of evidence over to the other side. I'll be watching carefully to see if the defense has any surprises once trial starts (they will, of course).

IMO.

It kind of feels like Christmas is coming when you were little, waiting for this AA, as tragic as it will be.
We just want BM DONE WITH.
In a way, I kind of prefer it like this.

Instead of getting the entire AA, we’ll learn about this piece by piece in court over multiple days. I’m optimistic we’ll be able to watch it live, as I do think this is going to wind up being streamed on WebEx.

If not though, live Tweets will do just fine.

We’ll certainly have the AA in some form too, but that won’t come until after.

Interesting study on the profound link between narcissism and violence.

“The link between narcissism and aggression was found for all dimensions of narcissism and for a variety of types of aggression. Results were similar regardless of gender, age, whether they were college students, or country of residence.

It is a pretty straightforward message: Narcissism is a significant risk factor for aggressive and violent behavior across the board.”

Narcissism linked to aggression in review of 437 studies
Thank you for finding and posting this! This is quite profound, 437 studies is significant! There’s a lot of info on the web discussing the links between narcissist traits and violence (which we’ve seen in some form can lead to murder ultimately). @Momofthreeboys I think you’ll find this educational considering you didn’t find any connections between narcissist and murder/violence according to your previous post. I’ve personally learned so much on WS. MOO.

Last edited:

Thank you for trying re/Lauren. She’ll probably get back to you Monday. I agree, it’s more than likely evidence related. Defense attorneys get to bill BM some additional hours! CaaaChing! CaaaChing!
MOO

A question for legal experts on here: Aren't there requirements for "guardians" to maintain separate assets in co-owned property if granted guardianship? IOW, isn't he required to account for which is Suzanne's and which is his? So therefore, can he legally 'spend down" Suzanne's half of the property or must he preserve it? I wonder because of the likely very hefty amount his lawyers are getting. Who is paying them....Barry, or Barry and Suzanne?

A question for legal experts on here: Aren't there requirements for "guardians" to maintain separate assets in co-owned property if granted guardianship? IOW, isn't he required to account for which is Suzanne's and which is his? So therefore, can he legally 'spend down" Suzanne's half of the property or must he preserve it? I wonder because of the likely very hefty amount his lawyers are getting. Who is paying them....Barry, or Barry and Suzanne?

In Colorado, I wonder if Suzanne had any assets ($$$) that were 'hers'.

"Colorado is a marital property state, not “community property”. That means that the assets and debts acquired during marriage (i.e. the marital estate) should be divided equitably between the spouses upon dissolution of marriage, legal separation or annulment."

Division of the Marital Estate

It is possible that any inheritance that Suzanne received could be considered 'separate property'. But as she willingly sank her money into the marital property, I think there could be some debate about that.
The reason that I say this is because Suzanne didn't bring large funds into the marriage. She was already in the marriage when she received and sank her money into the marital property.

"A spouse's separate property includes:
  • Property brought into the marriage by that spouse, and
  • Property one spouse receives during the marriage by gift or inheritance."

Last edited:
In Colorado, I wonder if Suzanne had any assets ($$$) that were 'hers'.

"Colorado is a marital property state, not “community property”. That means that the assets and debts acquired during marriage (i.e. the marital estate) should be divided equitably between the spouses upon dissolution of marriage, legal separation or annulment."

Division of the Marital Estate

It is possible that any inheritance that Suzanne received could be considered 'separate property'. But as she willingly sank her money into the marital property, I think there could be some debate about that.
The reason that I say this is because Suzanne didn't bring large funds into the marriage. She was already in the marriage when she received and sank her money into the marital property.

"A spouse's separate property includes:
  • Property brought into the marriage by that spouse, and
  • Property one spouse receives during the marriage by gift or inheritance."

I am particularly interested in whether or not Barry had some legal fiscal responsibility as part of the terms of guardianship....i.e. We know he was allowed to sell the house...but did that change her financial interest in the proceeds? And were those proceeds used to pay Barry's lawyers, or are they maintained separately on her behalf?

I am particularly interested in whether or not Barry had some legal fiscal responsibility as part of the terms of guardianship....i.e. We know he was allowed to sell the house...but did that change her financial interest in the proceeds? And were those proceeds used to pay Barry's lawyers, or are they maintained separately on her behalf?
Like most things in family courts etc the public will probably not know the details. It signaled to me that perhaps they had not completed estate planning with a lawyer or the legal process of selling property in Indiana required more than a POA which generally comes along with estate planning. Also if legally she is declared deceased that changes things also I would think. On surface we also have no evidence he abused the guardianship in some manner. People may not agree with his decisions or have done things differently based on their particular circumstances but he may very well have legally been able to make those decisions. Their lives are being scrutinized at times with an emotional lens more than a legal lens and without the underlying facts in my opinion.

I am interested in this too. Hoping one of the legal folks can answer.

IC 29-3-8-6.5
Severance of property jointly owned with rights of survivorship or use of the assets of a multiple party account
Sec. 6.5. (a) If:
(1) a guardian takes possession of property that is:
(A) jointly owned by or titled in the names of the protected person and another person with rights of survivorship; or
(B) owned as a multiple party account with another person as joint owner or beneficiary;
(2) the guardian:
(A) severs the joint ownership of the property; or
(B) uses the assets of the multiple party account; and
(3) the protected person subsequently dies while the other person is living;
the other person may elect to receive from the protected person's estate property in an amount determined under subsection (b).
(b) The amount of property the other person described in subsection (a) may elect to receive is determined in STEP THREE of the following formula:
STEP ONE: Subtract:
(A) the value of the severed or used property retained by the other person at the time ownership was severed or used, if any; from
(B) the value of the joint property or multiple party account at the time ownership was severed or the assets were used.
STEP TWO: Divide:
(A) the remainder determined under STEP ONE; by
(B) the value of the protected person's property, including the jointly held property or multiple party account, at the time ownership was severed or the assets were used.
STEP THREE: Multiply:
(A) the quotient determined under STEP TWO; by
(B) the value of the deceased protected person's net estate. (c) As used in this section, "multiple party account" refers to both multiple party accounts described by IC 32-17-11 and transfer on death transfers completed under IC 32-17-14.
As added by P.L.33-1989, SEC.73. Amended by P.L.143-2009, SEC.16.

Last edited:
Are there any updates regarding court hearings? I saw something on the www (not linkable) which said there was a new hearing date?
Yes there’s a hearing this Thursday 7/22/21, recently added to the Docket.
It’s anyone’s guess what it’s for. ;)
I have some ideas what it might be for, fortunately we’ll know very soon.
https://www.courts.state.co.us/dockets/index.cfm#results
Colorado Judicial Branch - Court Docket Search

IMHOO

#FindSuzanne
#BringSuzanneHome
#JusticeForSuzanne

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics