GUILTY IA - Mollie Tibbetts, 20, found deceased, Poweshiek County, 19 Jul 2018 *Arrest* #51

Court TV @CourtTV Jul 19
A judge denied a motion by the defense of #CristhianBahenaRivera that aimed to release info about trafficking investigations. Two childhood friends of Bahena Rivera were implicated by the defense team last week, but both have denied involvement in the killing of #MollieTibbetts.
This is incorrect, right? They were not CBR’s childhood friends. He lived in Mexico. What is Court TV saying here? Or did I miss something?

This is incorrect, right? They were not CBR’s childhood friends. He lived in Mexico. What is Court TV saying here? Or did I miss something?
I think the two named were childhood friends but not with CBR -- that makes no sense whatsoever!

ETA: I listened to the video portion of the tweet by (Julie Grant) Court TV, and the video gets it right -- the alternate suspects of Jones & Hanson are the alleged childhood friends. Grant does not connect CBR to the alternate suspects in the video report.

Last edited:
I think the two named were childhood friends but not with CBR -- that makes no sense whatsoever!

ETA: I listened to the video portion of the tweet by (Julie Grant) Court TV, and the video gets it right -- the alternate suspects of Jones & Hanson are the alleged childhood friends. Grant does not connect CBR to the alternate suspects in the video report.
I thought the same thing when I read that. What?!

Here's the pocket-dial video of my husband pushing through our corn field last summer. The video was taken on 8/23/20 and farmers in our area are usually 3 or so weeks later to plant corn than those in most of the state of Iowa (I grew up in IA and have family who farms on both sides of the state, but now live a couple states away), so IMO it is fairly reflective of what the corn would have looked like in mid-late July of 2019. Note that the phone camera is chest pocket height on a 6'2" man, and the corn was over 7.5' tall at this point. To check ear/kernel growth, he goes straight in the field, grabs an ear, turns around, and comes straight back out down the same row; you'd never even know he was in there, as the corn is strong enough that it won't knock down unless you're doing something like, oh, dragging a body. Or something. MOO.

I hope this helps to illustrate the impossibility of someone just happening to lead another person to anything hidden in a corn field without that first person knowing exactly what he is doing!

Here's the pocket-dial video of my husband pushing through our corn field last summer. The video was taken on 8/23/20 and farmers in our area are usually 3 or so weeks later to plant corn than those in most of the state of Iowa (I grew up in IA and have family who farms on both sides of the state, but now live a couple states away), so IMO it is fairly reflective of what the corn would have looked like in mid-late July of 2019. Note that the phone camera is chest pocket height on a 6'2" man, and the corn was over 7.5' tall at this point. To check ear/kernel growth, he goes straight in the field, grabs an ear, turns around, and comes straight back out down the same row; you'd never even know he was in there, as the corn is strong enough that it won't knock down unless you're doing something like, oh, dragging a body. Or something. MOO.

I hope this helps to illustrate the impossibility of someone just happening to lead another person to anything hidden in a corn field without that first person knowing exactly what he is doing!
Thank you so much for this! The corn is so thick. And it appeared sunny out. It would have been darker (around or after sunset) when CBR took Mollie to the cornfield .

I was actually on the search that happened on August 2, 2018. They had us mostly searching cornfields although I don't know that they expected us to find her--I think they moreso wanted to be able to cross out the areas that we searched so that they could then focus on other areas. I'm 5'1" and the corn was definitely taller than me by that time.

Last edited:
Also I feel like the prosecution did a great job during the trial of showing that CBR had to be deliberate in where he put Mollie--that it wasn't just like he dumped her on the side of the road and then threw some stalks on her. He walked her into the corn where she wouldn't have been visible to someone just driving by. :(

The reason why I posed the Mollie / cornfields / body found question earlier in the thread is that leading up to the body, there seems to a natural path, Mollie's body seems to be at the end of the natural path.

The impression I got from the crime scene technician's testimony (about 3h 17m into this video) was that the body was 60 feet into the corn from the end of the pathway, so it would have not be visible or easy to see from the pathway

I thank you also for this video. So frightening to think of what this would look like in the dark. Poor Mollie. :( MOO

@TLobo great video. I grew up in Illinois, and wondered how CBR led the police exactly to where Mollie was found, unless, he had gone back several times.

The reason I say this, is that even knowing the area, it is almost impossible to find an exact place in a bunch of cornfields.

What do you think?

@TLobo great video. I grew up in Illinois, and wondered how CBR led the police exactly to where Mollie was found, unless, he had gone back several times.

The reason I say this, is that even knowing the area, it is almost impossible to find an exact place in a bunch of cornfields.

What do you think?

Lets say story one is correct, I think it's possible at some point he has had help from others, whether she was alive / dead at that point we don't know.

If he believed he was in trouble during the interview, the natural instinct would be to clam up, he does the opposite.

He was told to say he 'blacked out' to conceal the involvement of others.

What do you think?
I've wondered if maybe he knew where he/they had entered the field based on landmarks - say, by the electric pole past this specific driveway, or something similar to that. Whether he took note of that when he left her there, or if he drove past afterwards, I have no idea!

One would think there wouldn't be a disturbed area (bent and broken stalks, etc) at the edge of the field, because that would stand out as anyone drove by as being out of the ordinary. It would look different from damage from raccoons or deer, even, and farmers get curious when something looks off, MOO!

Sorry for the lack of formatting. (Removed my question)

Title: STATE OF IOWA VS RIVERA, CRISTHIAN BAHENA
Case: 08791 FECR010822 (POWESHIEK)
Citation Number:
Event Filed By Filed Create Date Last Updated Action Date
OTHER ORDER YATES JOEL D 07/23/2021 07/23/2021 07/23/2021
Comments: ORDER APPROVING MOTION TO FILE UNDER SEAL
MOTION FRESE JENNIFER JO 07/23/2021 07/23/2021 07/23/2021
Comments: TO FILE UNDER SEAL
EXHIBIT - PROPOSED FRESE JENNIFER JO 07/23/2021 07/23/2021 07/23/2021
OTHER EVENT REINERTSON DAWN 07/22/2021 07/22/2021 07/22/2021
Comments: AMENDMENT OF INTERPRETER FEE CLAIM 4/15-6/15/21 RHODES CC:
INTERPRETER-EMAIL
RETURN OF SERVICE - OTHER POWESHIEK COUNTY SHERIFF 07/21/2021 07/21/2021 07/21/2021
Comments: ARNE MAKI SERVED 7/14/2021
RETURN OF SERVICE ON SUBPOENA MAHASKA COUNTY SHERIFF 07/21/2021 07/21/2021 07/21/2021
Comments: LYNDSEY VOSS SERVED SUBPOENA 7/21/2021
RETURN OF SERVICE ON SUBPOENA MAHASKA COUNTY SHERIFF 07/21/2021 07/21/2021 07/21/2021
Comments: CAMI ESLICK SERVED SUBPOENA 7/21/2021

Last edited:
JUL 26, 2021
Prosecution motions to nullify subpoenas in Bahena Rivera case
Prosecutors in the case against the man convicted of killing Mollie Tibbetts have asked the court to nullify several subpoenas requested by the defense, saying those requests are "overbroad and not related" to the case.

[...]

"This subpoena and any similar subpoenas are overbroad and not related to this case," the court document says. "The requests may also include otherwise privileged or sensitive law enforcement information relating to on-going investigations."

[...]

The prosecution's motion also says the court has already ruled the information subpoenaed to have "no relevance to or connection with the disappearance and murder of Mollie Tibbetts."

Bahena Rivera will be back in court Tuesday where his attorneys will argue for a new trial. All of the remaining motions from his defense team are all about tossing out the guilty verdict.

The defense says they will need a full day to present their evidence and call witnesses, one of those being a man who claims a former cellmate of his confessed to killing Tibbetts.

JUL 26, 2021
Prosecution motions to nullify subpoenas in Bahena Rivera case
Prosecutors in the case against the man convicted of killing Mollie Tibbetts have asked the court to nullify several subpoenas requested by the defense, saying those requests are "overbroad and not related" to the case.

[...]

"This subpoena and any similar subpoenas are overbroad and not related to this case," the court document says. "The requests may also include otherwise privileged or sensitive law enforcement information relating to on-going investigations."

[...]

The prosecution's motion also says the court has already ruled the information subpoenaed to have "no relevance to or connection with the disappearance and murder of Mollie Tibbetts."

Bahena Rivera will be back in court Tuesday where his attorneys will argue for a new trial. All of the remaining motions from his defense team are all about tossing out the guilty verdict.

The defense says they will need a full day to present their evidence and call witnesses, one of those being a man who claims a former cellmate of his confessed to killing Tibbetts.

"Bahena Rivera will be back in court Tuesday where his attorneys will argue for a new trial. All of the remaining motions from his defense team are all about tossing out the guilty verdict. "

Is this^^^ clown show going to be televised or streamed? :rolleyes:

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rangelmcguire
Back