Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #64 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
If you are a woman in an abusive relationship and you fear your husband AND your husband has the phone bill in his name and all your photos, data, etc get uploaded to the iCloud family plan where said spouse can see everything you do? Yep I’d get another device on my own too. Good for Suzanne for being so smart.

I think the idea that a previous poster had about a spy pen perhaps being suggested by a DV helper is a valid idea.
(sorry, can't remember who said that as I have just read through pages and pages here .. thanks to all for the posts, much appreciated by those of us who could not listen)

From what I understand, DV helpers have a wide range of things that they suggest ... so that when a victim eventually goes to court they have evidence to back up their claims. Especially if no-one else had been witness to the DV.

Going to court for a restraining order, then perhaps a divorce, may have been on the cards.

Last edited:
If you are a woman in an abusive relationship and you fear your husband AND your husband has the phone bill in his name and all your photos, data, etc get uploaded to the iCloud family plan where said spouse can see everything you do? Yep I’d get another device on my own too. Good for Suzanne for being so smart.

Burner phone, purchased at the WalMart for cash.

A simple recording device is not a bad idea either.

ITA, SM was very smart. She might have even helped to solve her own murder!

Thinking about this pen.

I don’t think this is something Suzanne would go out and buy herself, rather, I think this is something that someone would suggest she use, and perhaps supply her with.

I could see this coming from a member of her support group, or from a close friend with experience with this sort of thing (marital strife, abuse, divorce).

I just don’t think most people would think to do that in a similar situation, nor do I see her having this thing delivered to the house (defeats the purpose).

I haven’t been here for awhile (and I’ve really missed you guys!) but I had to check in after the hearing today and see what it was all about and ya’ll do not disappoint! Thank you to everyone who provided play by play during the hearing and all the summaries and discussions afterwards.

I’m absolutely gobsmacked by the “spy pen” bombshell! And the amount of evidence and witnesses! But if there is an actual recording(s) of Suzanne herself speaking with someone who will be an important witness in the trial then that is an incredible turn of events. What in the world was going on in that marriage?! Physical abuse, domestic violence, infidelity, financial control, illegal business dealings, fraud, drug and/or alcohol abuse?? Combo of any or all of these things?? :confused: Something very nefarious if Suzanne resorted to that and thank goodness she did! They don’t have her remains YET but at least there will be a “smoking pen”!! Go Suzanne, smart lady!! I think she was going to divorce Barry and she was planning her escape.

I’m a bit confused as to whether Suzanne used this hidden device to record evidence of Barry doing something wrong or illegal or was she documenting some kind of abuse to someone? A friend, counselor or pastor? Or did Barry get the pen to spy on Suzanne? I am leaning much more towards Suzanne getting the spy pen after reading many of your comments. I agree that if Barry had used the spy pen on Suzanne then he would have gotten rid of it. I mean he’s not the brightest but he still managed to get rid of her body so why not a little spy pen if he knew about it. What if he didn’t even find out about the spy pen recording until now?! Can you imagine his reaction? Oh man I bet he needed to change his underwear! If they even give you underwear in prison? :p

Once the defense hears the enhanced recording and sees all the evidence could they then request a plea deal or is it too late? It’s interesting that his lawyer wanted a sanction reducing the charge to 2nd degree murder. Oh and she also asked for bail! Shoot for the stars I guess, why not? :rolleyes:

It doesn’t sound like there was any mention of the AA today. But this trial is going to be epic! :D Justice has begun Suzanne and you will be speaking from the grave to help convict the man who brutally took your life and LIED to everyone including your daughters, the man who promised to love, honor & protect you. I’m so sorry it turned out this way. :(

Burner phone, purchased at the WalMart for cash.

A simple recording device is not a bad idea either.

ITA, SM was very smart. She might have even helped to solve her own murder!

Suzanne may have even taken photos of any injuries that she had sustained from DV (if DV plays a part here, which I suspect it might).
Bruises that no-one else could see, for example. Because injuries may have been caused in concealed areas of Suzanne's person.

Along with recordings on a spy pen, perhaps copies of threatening text messages.

Suzanne may have been accumulating what she needed to keep BM away from her, and proceed with a life of her own. She said she was scared.

"destroying his wife's body"
I'll say no more.
I've been in the camp from the beginning that BM dismembered SM, and it wouldn't surprise me what all else he may have done to her. IMO, he is hot-headed and loses his temper easily, mixed with a lot of anger and rage.

As the old saying goes...pick on somebody your own size. That, in and of itself, did it make him proud and boost his ego that he was able to over-power Suzanne and kill her? I'll answer that question myself...yes, I'm sure it did because that's the type of man he is. Well actually, I wouldn't even give him the respect to call him a man. I have lots of other things/names that I would like to call him, but I know I can't here of course. (Sigh)

Thinking about this pen.

I don’t think this is something Suzanne would go out and buy herself, rather, I think this is something that someone would suggest she use, and perhaps supply her with.

I could see this coming from a member of her support group, or from a close friend with experience with this sort of thing (marital strife, abuse, divorce).

I just don’t think most people would think to do that in a similar situation, nor do I see her having this thing delivered to the house (defeats the purpose).
We may find a package from Amazon delivered to puma path with the sender in Indiana - it’s something I would do and you can bet if there was a discussion vis text or email - LE knows it now
JMO

I haven’t been here for awhile (and I’ve really missed you guys!) but I had to check in after the hearing today and see what it was all about and ya’ll do not disappoint! Thank you to everyone who provided play by play during the hearing and all the summaries and discussions afterwards.

I’m absolutely gobsmacked by the “spy pen” bombshell! And the amount of evidence and witnesses! But if there is an actual recording(s) of Suzanne herself speaking with someone who will be an important witness in the trial then that is an incredible turn of events. What in the world was going on in that marriage?! Physical abuse, domestic violence, infidelity, financial control, illegal business dealings, fraud, drug and/or alcohol abuse?? Combo of any or all of these things?? :confused: Something very nefarious if Suzanne resorted to that and thank goodness she did! They don’t have her remains YET but at least there will be a “smoking pen”!! Go Suzanne, smart lady!! I think she was going to divorce Barry and she was planning her escape.

I’m a bit confused as to whether Suzanne used this hidden device to record evidence of Barry doing something wrong or illegal or was she documenting some kind of abuse to someone? A friend, counselor or pastor? Or did Barry get the pen to spy on Suzanne? I am leaning much more towards Suzanne getting the spy pen after reading many of your comments. I agree that if Barry had used the spy pen on Suzanne then he would have gotten rid of it. I mean he’s not the brightest but he still managed to get rid of her body so why not a little spy pen if he knew about it. What if he didn’t even find out about the spy pen recording until now?! Can you imagine his reaction? Oh man I bet he needed to change his underwear! If they even give you underwear in prison? :p

Once the defense hears the enhanced recording and sees all the evidence could they then request a plea deal or is it too late? It’s interesting that his lawyer wanted a sanction reducing the charge to 2nd degree murder. Oh and she also asked for bail! Shoot for the stars I guess, why not? :rolleyes:

It doesn’t sound like there was any mention of the AA today. But this trial is going to be epic! :D Justice has begun Suzanne and you will be speaking from the grave to help convict the man who brutally took your life and LIED to everyone including your daughters, the man who promised to love, honor & protect you. I’m so sorry it turned out this way. :(
"Smoking pen" - brilliant!

We may find a package from Amazon delivered to puma path with the sender in Indiana - it’s something I would do and you can bet if there was a discussion vis text or email - LE knows it now
JMO

Yes, it could have been sent quite surreptitiously. Classy looking (spy) pen with some pretty notepaper, as a gift.

Judge rejects media consortium’s request to reconsider sealing of Barry Morphew arrest affidavit | Colorado Freedom of Information Coalition

The 130-page arrest affidavit for Barry Morphew, who is accused of murdering his wife Suzanne Morphew in 2020, will remain sealed for now.

Chaffee County District Court Judge Patrick Murphy last week rejected a news media consortium’s request that he reconsider his June 4 order closing the record until at least early September.

“The Media Consortium questions the legitimacy of denying public access to the entire Affidavit based upon the length and details contained within it and also questions the likelihood that this information can’t be redacted,” the judge wrote. “However, it wasn’t merely the details and length of the Affidavit that resulted in the Court’s decision to restrict public access.

“It was also the Court’s desire that efforts at redaction be done meaningfully and with reliable input from the parties, which cannot occur until the parties have had time to familiarize themselves with the investigation.”

Murphy in his June 4 ordercalled the affidavit “the lengthiest and most detailed” he has seen in nearly 30 years of experience with criminal cases. He wrote that “a significant portion” of information in the affidavit may not be admissible at trial and that releasing the document prior to an investigation conducted by Barry Morphew’s defense attorneys could hamper their ability to effectively prepare a defense. The judge also raised concerns about the potential for harassment of the Morphews’ two daughters.

Media lawyer Steve Zansberg argued in a response that the affidavit’s length and details contained in the document “are not legitimate grounds to deny the public’s presumptive right to inspect it,” nor is Barry Morphew’s “investigation” of the case against him. Zansberg, who is president of the Colorado Freedom of Information Coalition, noted that Colorado Rule of Criminal Procedure 55.1 — which went into effect May 10 — “imposes a heightened burden on any party seeking to overcome the public’s strong presumptive right to access” to a court record.

Zansberg argued there are “multiple adequate and less restrictive means” to protect the safety and well being of the Morphew children, other than closing public access to the entire arrest affidavit. If the affidavit contains extremely sensitive personal or private information unrelated to the prosecution’s need for the arrest warrant, he wrote, “Rule 55.1 provides that such information may be redacted.”

But the alternatives suggested by Zansberg “only respond to abuse or harassment and do nothing to prevent it,” Murphy wrote in his latest order, issued July 16. “Therefore, in furtherance of protecting the Morphew daughters from abuse or harassment, the Court will allow time for meaningful efforts at redaction to be made.”

The judge also rejected the media consortium’s contention that the court is required under Rule 55.1 to find that “no less restrictive means” exist to protect Barry Morphew’s right to fair trial. Morphew’s fair trial rights “were not identified by the Court as a substantial interest in its Order,” Murphy wrote. “Therefore, there is no requirement that the Court consider less restrictive means or balance Mr. Morphew’s fair trial rights against the presumption of public access.”

The media consortium seeking the Morphew arrest affidavit includes The Associated Press, The Denver Post, The Gazette, KCNC-TV (CBS4), KDVR-TV (FOX31), KKTV-TV (11 News), KMGH-TV (Denver7), KOAA-TV (News5), KRDO-TV, KUSA-TV (9NEWS) and KXRM-TV (FOX21).

Barry Morphew faces charges of first-degree murder and destroying his wife’s body in an attempt to avoid arrest. Suzanne Morphew was reported missing on May 10, 2020, and her body has not been found.

"destroying his wife's body"
I'll say no more.
Are we ready to revisit the wood chipper ? I leave nothing past the husband at this point. Today’s revelations only strengthen my belief that she was a DV victim (ultimately) but what else was he doing to her? So much that the AA remains sealed to protect the daughters?
JMO

RSBBM:
I haven’t been here for awhile (and I’ve really missed you guys!)

Nice to see you LP! I've been thinking about this pen since I first heard it this morning at the hearing. Why would the defense team be so adamant about the "individual" if they found it to be of evidentiary value to the prosecution? Because they want to know what kind of Sh&t sandwich they are being served?? I'm not totally convinced I have a clear picture of this whole nugget, but we will soon.

GK is right, I don't think SM bought it herself. I think her BFF or possibly a confidant gave it to her as a way of documenting things she wanted to remain private until she was ready to share them. I felt that he defense was implying that SM recorded a conversation with "another man" and then listened to messages "the other man" left her and recorded them. The tone to me was accusatory toward SM not BM. As if to imply she was being surreptitious and unethical.

Anyone else have an idea or good frame of reference on this?

MOO IMO

RSBBM:

Nice to see you LP! I've been thinking about this pen since I first heard it this morning at the hearing. Why would the defense team be so adamant about the "individual" if they found it to be of evidentiary value to the prosecution? Because they want to know what kind of Sh&t sandwich they are being served?? I'm not totally convinced I have a clear picture of this whole nugget, but we will soon.

GK is right, I don't think SM bought it herself. I think her BFF or possibly a confidant gave it to her as a way of documenting things she wanted to remain private until she was ready to share them. I felt that he defense was implying that SM recorded a conversation with "another man" and then listened to messages "the other man" left her and recorded them. The tone to me was accusatory toward SM not BM. As if to imply she was being surreptitious and unethical.

Anyone else have an idea or good frame of reference on this?

MOO IMO

My first instinct/thought was that Suzanne had a recorded conversation with this witness, perhaps saying "you saw what he did when he pushed me down on the ground, I am just asking you to be a witness for a restraining order". Or some other thing like that.

Because I got the sense that this witness was perhaps a 'hostile' or reluctant one. Probably wrong, but that is the initial impression that I got.

JMO
Nov 10, 2020, the CCSO put out a press release inviting anyone who may have been communicating privately with SM via social media to come forward and they emphasized that the person could do so confidentially. I wonder if the spy pen was in any way related to whoever that person might be.
Suzanne Morphew case remains a priority to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office - Chaffee County Sheriff

Nov 10, 2020, the CCSO put out a press release inviting anyone who may have been communicating privately with SM via social media to come forward and they emphasized that the person could do so confidentially. I wonder if the spy pen was in any way related to whoever that person might be.
Suzanne Morphew case remains a priority to the Chaffee County Sheriff’s Office - Chaffee County Sheriff
I really prefer the scenario where Suzanne’s friend tells law enforcement about this. I absolutely think she would have at least told one person she was recording Barry.

Fortunately, we’ll know the answer to this, and a lot more, in a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members