Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just to clear up my confusion....they were meeting up to drink beer/alcohol before going on a run?!?

If so.....

Well, that can't be good, all that liquid sloshing around in your stomach before strenuous activity.

Not to mention the alcohol may make you woozy.

I don't know anyone who drinks alcohol before any sports or physical activity. It's a no from every angle. It should be water or isotonic drinks only really.

The fact that these highly-experienced ultra-terrain marathon runners did it, just defies belief.

Chris explained it in his AMA:

An interesting thing (unrelated to the search but was a moment of joy in our run) was that despite both Philip and David enjoying beer and running neither had ever gone on a run before in which they paused midway to drink one. If you haven't taken the time to go for a run with the intent to just stop and sit and enjoy nature, especially with a beer, I highly recommend it. Philip now would too.

Link to AMA that admin said we could post and discuss:

Chris Thoburn 7/23 AMA Q&A Responses

The AMA is even odder than I expected. The extraneous and flowery details and writing style, given the circumstances...

It's the equivalent of chatting too much and telling unneccesary details - which interestingly, according to British detectives is a known marker of someone who is lying.

They add more details than is usual, in an effort to try and look more genuine and convincing. They think more details are better. It's over-compensating for guilt.

It happened here, two girls had been abducted and murdered and as a neighbour, he was on TV saying how "I hadn't seen anything as I had been out walking my dog at the park. As I do every Tuesday when my wife goes to her mother's and I go to the park at lunchtime, and my dog is a red setter, about 7 years old, and we always stop at the store and buy Pepsi and ice cream...."

A genuine person would simply just say "I hadn't seen anything, I was walking the dog."

He was arrested for their kidnap and murder several weeks later.

Afterwards, a senior detective said he knew he was guilty as soon as he saw his interview on TV and he was throwing too many details in when they weren't needed.

I'm not saying Chris is guilty, but it's a bit odd. The details (like on the beer brands) don't matter, especially when it seems he's could come forward with other more important information.....

MOO.

Last edited:
Interesting- it seems PK wasn't planning on a long run.

From the AMA: Our conversation was mainly around what would be a short route (short meaning < 12 miles) that he could complete on the way to Stockton. I felt that most the better runs in those park require > 15 mile routes, unless starting from Little Yosemite which is a bit out of the way (and which he was familiar with already). We left it at he was going to sleep in, enjoy the rare ability to do so, and whenever he got up if had time along the way to Stockton he'd stop for a run.

Chris Thoburn 7/23 AMA Q&A Responses

How does an experienced runner who is not planning to run long (if at all) and is short for time suddenly bite off more than he could chew? And zero evidence that he ran there at all. Very weird case.

Just to clear up my confusion....they were meeting up to drink beer/alcohol before going on a run?!?

If so.....

Well, that can't be good, all that liquid sloshing around in your stomach before strenuous activity.

I don't know anyone who drinks alcohol before any sports or physical activity. It's a no from every angle. It should be water or isotonic drinks only really.

The fact that these highly-experienced ultra-terrain marathon runners did it, just defies belief.

I don't drink, so I've always seen the combo of running (or biking) then drinking as strange, but there are a lot of marathons and bike rides where celebratory beers are given out to participants at the finish line. 'Beer runs' or 'pub relays' are completely centered around this very activity.

21 Half Marathons With (Lots of) Beer at the Finish Line in 2018 & 2019

Furthermore, A study from 2015, published in the Journal of the International Society of Sports Nutrition, found that "a moderate beer intake has no deleterious effects on markers of hydration in active individuals." In other words, a couple beers — especially ones with low alcohol — are OK, especially because beer, like sports drinks, contains carbs, electrolytes and sodium, which has been shown to help with fluid loss.

Not my cuppa, but stands to say people actually do this, willingly, for fun.

One thing people need to remember is it is very, very difficult to judge a person's mannerisms and actions via online words only.

And that the cops always have quite a bit more info than what is available to the public. I don't think they need to be told to look at a Facebook AMA lol.

And for some people, they won't divulge certain secrets to even their closest of friends. Not implying at all that's what occurred, but it needs to be kept in mind when y'all are sleuthing with maybe 25% of information about the case.

Someone mentioned 3 beers were carried in a vest during one of, if not the last, runs. Can we put to bed this part of our discussion near page 1 or so. He didn't carry his cell phone on runs because it's too annoying and cumbersome in his clothing. A cell phone in his vest next to his beers would have been a little helpful in this situation.

“Security consultant Michael Leininger, who is not taking part in the case, said he thinks it’s time for investigators to shift their focus away from the park and focus on Kreycik’s digital footprint.

"They need to investigate his work computer, his home computer, his cell phone," he said. "All those items need to be forensically examined. Coworkers need to be spoken to."

<modsnipped to comply with 10% copyright law>

Nearly 2 Weeks Pass And Still No Sign of Missing East Bay Runner

FWIW- I agree with the security consultant.

Last edited by a moderator:
Someone mentioned 3 beers were carried in a vest during one of, if not the last, runs. Can we put to bed this part of our discussion near page 1 or so. He didn't carry his cell phone on runs because it's too annoying and cumbersome in his clothing. A cell phone in his vest next to his beers would have been a little helpful in this situation.

Per the AMA Chris carried the beer cans in a running vest. Neither Philip nor David had ever drunk beer on a run, per Chris, he was the one who suggested it.
Philips phone was reported as found in his parked car.

What feels the most off for me is the lack of a body or any evidence at all that PK ran anywhere in that park. If he collapsed from heat stroke I would expect his body to be found by now. Something, anything! The search has been extensive, yet nothing. That is why I can't rule out a voluntary disappearance.

I thought, per the AMA, they found a shoe print believed to belong to Philip in the park? But maybe I misread the AMA - there was a lot of unnecessary fluff in there IMO

Re: "Security consultant Michael Leininger, who is not taking part in the case, said he thinks it’s time for investigators to shift their focus away from the park and focus on Kreycik’s digital footprint.

"They need to investigate his work computer, his home computer, his cell phone," he said. "All those items need to be forensically examined. Coworkers need to be spoken to."

I agree with this consultant.

And I find it very odd Kreycik would run without his phone on this day. I'm not as attached to my cell as most ppl are, but thinking this through: He wasn't with his family or right close to home. He has 2 very small children. He has spoken about a packed schedule. This is exactly the kind of day you would keep your cellphone on you all the time.

If so.....

I believe the mods allowed this info because CT is the admin of the FB search page: he stated on Friday he brought the beers with ice in his vest and they took a break to drink them, I believe in the middle of their run. It was very leisurely, more like a friendly walk for these types of runners. PK usually runs under 6 min pace and they were going over 10, so more like a social meet up with one other guy. I personally don’t do this, but have known some hikers and runners to drink a beer at the midpoint, sometimes to celebrate an achievement: mileage, training, etc. jmo

Assuming Chris is correct and that Philip went counter clockwise on the trail, followed the trail he mapped on his phone, and it was his shoe print going up the Mariposa Trail, it seems he did run for sometime in the park and was on his way back to the car. In the AMA, Chris believed that Philip initially joined the trail by walking down the street from the Moller staging area parking lot to Moller Ranch Trail, past the water tower access road, then through very dense/thick trees and bushy terrain before joining the North Ridge Trail to run the loop. He would have run up the North Ridge Trail, then be on his way back going up the Mariposa Trail. The main ridge looks out in the open, but the trail leading back to Moller Ranch Trail and the staging area where his car is parked is VERY dense with trees and underbrush, perfect mountain lion den/cave/hiding territory. With his shirt off, running fast, a mountain lion seeing his black shorts moving would instinctively give chase and attack. It just seems he would be in the thick brush somewhere between the main ridge and Moller Ranch Drive. If you look at the terrain on either side of Moller Ranch Trail, it is THICK and DENSE with cover. If he was running through there back to the car, he would have been a target. Lions drag their pray back to den or burry. Either that, or he succumbed to heat and was attacked by the wild animals, there is just no other explanation why nothing has been found. Disappearance and foul play seem so unlikely as he was well loved, not in a high security job, and texts showed intention and plans to pick up family. Prayers to his wife and those who love him, I can only imagine how horrible this is.

Bay Area authorities 'perplexed' by disappearance of Berkeley runner Philip Kreycik

He went for a run on Saturday, July 10 and his family reported him missing that evening.

The volunteer search team has not stopped in their efforts to find Kreycik.

They continue to hit the trails and post his picture, hoping for a miracle.

"He is an extremely fit individual, an extremely intelligent individual and extremely capable of taking care of himself," volunteer Dennis Baker said. "So, we think there are many reasons to believe he is still out there and he's just trying to get to us."

The focus of the volunteer search is on finding anyone with home security cameras that may offer clues to Kreycik's location.

It really is horrible.

Wouldn't his smartwatch somehow be traceable even without GPS? (Maybe I have overlooked this and it did connect in/near the park at some point?)

Would mountain lions be out in the heat or would they typically be more nocturnal in the summer? Or do you think he just was wrong place, wrong time?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chingona361