Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
True, but when are we ever sleuthing with all the information if any case on here?!

Never! :D
And half the information out there for any case can't be posted here, against the rules :mad: I understand that rumor and hearsay can be damaging, but they can also be true, and spark leads, theories, and solutions. WS used to allow a lot more, but sleuthing wasn't so popular. Now, it can actually interfere with a case. :eek:

I’d love to hear from the third gentleman who ran with Philip and CT the night before Philip’s disappearance.

I know he had just met Philip for the first time that evening, but it would be interesting to know if he does/doesn’t have the same perspective as CT regarding Philip’s state of mind/topic of conversation.

It really is horrible.

Wouldn't his smartwatch somehow be traceable even without GPS? (Maybe I have overlooked this and it did connect in/near the park at some point?)

Would mountain lions be out in the heat or would they typically be more nocturnal in the summer? Or do you think he just was wrong place, wrong time?
Yes, "Typically" mountain lions hunt dusk, dawn, night, but can and do at other times. I am not sure the Lion would have been hunting, just instinctively giving chase and attacking something running very fast that caught its eye, and look like prey. Chris said they saw several lions while searching for Philip, including in the heat of the day. This could be due to all of the people searching, but if he was the only one there, and a lion just happened to see him moving fast, they would instinctively chase. Or, Philip injured and taking shelter is attacked there, or succumbs to heat stroke and is drug back to den. A rattlesnake bite and heat? I just think if he is still in the park, he is in a den, cave, or buried by animals. I did see another strange comment on Danville patch that I haven't seen again. I will not post as I am sure it would be against the rules, but it referred to a fall which would be possible I am told.

If a mountain lion attack was involved, would there not have been more evidence of that? Blood stains on the ground, some shreds of clothing, unusual patterns in the dirt....something that looks like a disturbance?
You would think, and leads one to think he had taken cover and then attacked and drug to a den/cave. However, if the lion was big (there have been sightings in the 220 lb range) and came from behind, immediately incapacitates him, and drags him down ravine or into brush, (and I don't want to be too graphic) there would be little/no blood at attack, more where body rests. And Chris in the AMA said that the immediate response by LE was with ATV's etc which ran tracks over possible footprints etc. Any disturbance may have been accidentally destroyed by the initial SAR the first night. Also, if shoes on securely they, and shorts, may have stayed on. However, I agree that you would expect to find something, but there is some very thick brush, and I am sure the searchers have not found any dens or caves, at least it has not been reported, and we KNOW they exist. Several mountain lions have been seen in the park. I pray that there is another explanation, I really do, it is just hard as time passes and no trace. Prayers are being said for Philip and his family everyday.

Mountain lions generally attack at the neck, often breaking it and incapacitating their prey. They then drag it off to a less-traveled area or their “lair”. The attack scene is often NOT bloody since that happens elsewhere.

Chances of Attack | BAPP

“It is more dangerous to walk the streets in any U.S. city at night than it is to live and hike in mountain lion country.”

I realize that most of you probably don’t live near mountain lion country ( I’ve worked in the Santa Monica Mountains for 26 years.)

While it’s impossible to definitively rule out at this time, it is my opinion that a mountain lion attack is not probable.

Lions in the Santa Monica Mountains - Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

Chances of Attack | BAPP

“It is more dangerous to walk the streets in any U.S. city at night than it is to live and hike in mountain lion country.”

I realize that most of you probably don’t live near mountain lion country ( I’ve worked in the Santa Monica Mountains for 26 years.)

While it’s impossible to definitively rule out at this time, it is my opinion that a mountain lion attack is not probable.

Lions in the Santa Monica Mountains - Santa Monica Mountains National Recreation Area (U.S. National Park Service)

It may be more dangerous to walk the streets of many US cities, but the number 1 safety rule when you are in mountain lion territory is to NOT run, jog, or bike alone. He was running alone, during a drought, in mountain lion territory. I hope it is not the case, but without any sign of him, it seems the most likely scenario. If it is his shoe print on Mariposa Trail, he was there in the park. What are you thinking may have happened to him? It is very sad for the family, to not know.

I live in New England, so mountain lions around here are technically "unconfirmed sightings." At any rate,I'm not familiar enough to really have a strong opinion, so appreciate the replies!

It may be more dangerous to walk the streets of many US cities, but the number 1 safety rule when you are in mountain lion territory is to NOT run, jog, or bike alone. He was running alone, during a drought, in mountain lion territory. I hope it is not the case, but without any sign of him, it seems the most likely scenario. If it is his shoe print on Mariposa Trail, he was there in the park. What are you thinking may have happened to him? It is very sad for the family, to not know.
With only 1 mountain lion fatality in CA since 2000, and only 7 attacks total, statistically this is far less likely than a voluntary disappearance.

If a mountain lion attack was involved, would there not have been more evidence of that? Blood stains on the ground, some shreds of clothing, unusual patterns in the dirt....something that looks like a disturbance?

Yes, there should be something. It's not like a mountain lion could swallow PK whole! In fact during the search a rock was found with some blood spots and it turned out to be animal blood.

It looks more and more like PK is not in the park.

* * Here's the huge elephant in the room. :D :D Was Mr. Philip Kreycik a passenger on the private jet that flew out of the local airport just prior to noon on July 10 bound for St Paul, MN? * *

I'll need to seek the Q&A, if anyone has the link handy, tyia. :)

Snip for space.

Here's the link:
Chris Thoburn 7/23 AMA Q&A Responses

Thanks for the info about PK's background. That is exactly what I was looking for, and I am not surprised. PK is a highly intelligent man.

FWIW- I am on the same page as you! This looks like a voluntary walk away to me also, and like you I hope I am right. Like you said, better that than some horrible death.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cabinsleuth