GUILTY UK - Bernadette Walker, 17, left parent's car, Peterborough, 21 July 2020 *Arrests* #5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Scott Walker was convicted of murder and two counts of perverting the course of justice, relating to knowing or believing she was dead. The jury were not asked to deliver verdicts on the other two perverting the course of justice counts, as they were ‘alternative’ counts.

BREAKING: Scott Walker found guilty of murdering Bernadette

PTCOJ can carry a sentence of up to life in prison, however CPS guidelines recommend between 4- 36 months :eek:

I hope the seriousness of the crime reflects in the sentence for SaW, being as she’s already pleaded guilty to two counts.

He had 4 - which must mean they are struggling with 2 of his and the 2 that Sarah has pleaded not guilty to
It's a funny one though, because why charge him with believing she was alive? The jury would have to believe there was a possibility she ran away for him to pcoj by claiming she ran away and is alive. Then once they believe he did murder her only knowing she was dead seems relevant, as a duplication of the same charge. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it too well.

I am so relieved for B and her family.

This means Berni will be able to have some type of funeral and true greif and then healing can begin.

Did someone say there was a law where he can't get out until. He reveals her location?
Yes, its called Helens law, states that killers should be refused parole if they do not reveal the location of their victim's body. The prisoners would remain in prison for the rest of their lives if they refused to co-operate with investigators.

It's a funny one though, because why charge him with believing she was alive? The jury would have to believe there was a possibility she ran away for him to pcoj by claiming she ran away and is alive. Then once they believe he did murder her only knowing she was dead seems relevant, as a duplication of the same charge. I'm not sure if I'm explaining it too well.

I think it’s because either way he/they perverted the course of justice. Because even if she did run away their actions after were still punishable. If he was found not guilty of murder, he still would of got prison time for PTCOJ. Kinda looks like a safety net charge to me. If they didn’t charge him with it and the jury found him not guilty of the other accounts he would of walked free today!

You're right - they've just said the other 2 charges are not relevant for him

Stephen Briggs

@PTstephenB

·
9m

Sentencing will most likely take place on September 10 for both defendants.

Stephen Briggs

@PTstephenB

·
8m

The jurors have returned to their deliberations on those counts. The court is told Scott Walker will not return to the dock today.

Stephen Briggs

@PTstephenB

·
7m

So to sum up what has just happened: Scott Walker guilty of murder Scott Walker guilty of perverting the course of justice x2 (knowing or believing Bernadette was dead) No verdicts taken on the 2 counts Sarah Walker faces. Court can now take a majority verdict on those counts.

Stephen Briggs

@PTstephenB

·
6m

Sentencing is currently scheduled for September 10 for both defendants. Scott Walker will be given a life sentence when sentencing does occur.

Yes, its called Helens law, states that killers should be refused parole if they do not reveal the location of their victim's body. The prisoners would remain in prison for the rest of their lives if they refused to co-operate with investigators.
Although that is the purpose of the law. The legislation is not absolute, sadly a parole board can still free a prisoner even if they have not revealed the location should they wish to.

Last edited:
So some of the jury believe Sarah may be innocent of knowing B was dead.
Interesting.

Stephen Briggs

@PTstephenB

·
3m

While we wait for the final verdicts to come in, I want to give special praise to Bernadette's friends who gave evidence. They should be very proud of themselves. Incredibly mature for such young people - the sort of friends everyone should have.

Stephen Briggs

@PTstephenB

·
1m

We will have more reaction once the final verdicts are in. There will be no verdicts given between 1pm and 2pm today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam