Othram - General Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The ISHI team is doing a series on Othram cases. This episode is for Rodney Johnson, with great commentary from the investigators:

Not sure how to link to all of them, but there are 3 episodes so far and there should be another 3 coming over the next few months.

Through DNA testing, Las Vegas police solve 32-year-old cold case murder of 14-year-old girl
''Police and forensics investigators got word of a donation made specifically to investigate cold cases. Las Vegas resident Justin Woo made the donation in Nov. 2020 and Issacson's case was selected to investigate.

In Jan. 2021, the DNA sample was sent to Othram Labs in The Woodlands, Texas for analysis.

According to the Othram website, the labs analyze DNA from trace quantities of contaminated or degraded evidence to help solve criminal cases. Othram has helped solve several cases through forensic genealogy, according to the Othram website and LVMPD.''

''Spencer said solving the case wouldn't have been possible without the work of the LVMPD forensic team and the donation made by Woo. ''

Through DNA testing, Las Vegas police solve 32-year-old cold case murder of 14-year-old girl
''Police and forensics investigators got word of a donation made specifically to investigate cold cases. Las Vegas resident Justin Woo made the donation in Nov. 2020 and Issacson's case was selected to investigate.

In Jan. 2021, the DNA sample was sent to Othram Labs in The Woodlands, Texas for analysis.

According to the Othram website, the labs analyze DNA from trace quantities of contaminated or degraded evidence to help solve criminal cases. Othram has helped solve several cases through forensic genealogy, according to the Othram website and LVMPD.''

''Spencer said solving the case wouldn't have been possible without the work of the LVMPD forensic team and the donation made by Woo. ''
If this case can be solved from such a little amount of DNA, imagine how many other cases could be tackled!

Or the Zodiac Killer, as they're trying to use an envelope he licked to solve it.
Oh yes, I remember that from an episode of Cold Case Files way back in the early 2000s. I recall they were not able to match Arthur Allen's DNA to those letters. If they were able to get a profile and match it to someone, my God, that would be huge!

So as far as I understand he is quite for sometimes in the databases but as Scandinavias are underepresented his matches are too low? It is sad. I think it is becoming more popular in Scandinavia to learn about their heritage but it is still not as popular as in the US.

So as far as I understand he is quite for sometimes in the databases but as Scandinavias are underepresented his matches are too low? It is sad. I think it is becoming more popular in Scandinavia to learn about their heritage but it is still not as popular as in the US.

We are optimistic that as a community we can figure it out. It took a while to build a good profile from 90-year-old remains, but now that we have a good profile its just a matter of time!

We are optimistic that as a community we can figure it out. It took a while to build a good profile from 90-year-old remains, but now that we have a good profile its just a matter of time!

I am looking forward to this one. It's been a persistent mystery in Canadian history. What a tale!

The myth of the Mad Trapper used to be so well-known that he had a restaurant named after him in my city: Mad Trapper's. The story also involved the legendary WWI flying ace Wilfred "Wop" May.

I'm not sure if school children still learn about him, but we did. I consider him Canada's first known case of "suicide by cop".

Famous cases, events and people | Royal Canadian Mounted Police

(Just checked and there is a restaurant presently named after him at a ski resort in Banff, Alberta, another in Golden, B.C., one in Ontario and a bowling alley in Whitehorse, Yukon. His legend lives on.)

Last edited:
I am looking forward to this one. It's been a persistent mystery in Canadian history. What a tale!

The myth of the Mad Trapper used to be so well-known that he had a restaurant named after him in my city: Mad Trapper's. The story also involved the legendary WWI flying ace Wilfred "Wop" May.

I'm not sure if school children still learn about him, but we did. I consider him Canada's first known case of "suicide by cop".

Famous cases, events and people | Royal Canadian Mounted Police
Ws thread..
CANADA - Albert Johnson, Canada's "Mad Trapper, killed in an Arctic shootout 1932

Othram, have you considered media articles in the Swedish communities in Minnesota and other known settlement areas in the U.S.?

Swedish Immigration to Minnesota | MNopedia

This is where many North American Swedish families started out. Many headed further west in the late 1800s, and even up to Canada for farming in the early 1900s, as homesteading opportunities opened up. My goodness, there's a lot of these families in the prairie provinces of Canada.

Othram, have you considered media articles in the Swedish communities in Minnesota and other known settlement areas in the U.S.?

Swedish Immigration to Minnesota | MNopedia

This is where many North American Swedish families started out. Many headed further west in the late 1800s, and even up to Canada for farming in the early 1900s, as homesteading opportunities opened up. My goodness, there's a lot of these families in the prairie provinces of Canada.

Great idea!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members