Found Deceased IN - Abigail (Abby) Williams, 13, & Liberty (Libby) German, 14, The Delphi Murders 13 Feb 2017 #136

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do think it means something that they actually came out and declared a blackout. They could have just declined to answer whenever they were asked. This sounds like something you do when you are trying to say “ don’t bother me...I’m busy”.
My guess, probably more my hope, is that maybe, just maybe, they are shutting things down because they have identified a suspect and don’t want him to know they are preparing to come for him.

Well.

I don't know whether that's something happening or if they're just fed up with all the questions and queries.

I wondered the same. The words “foreseeable future” were included..

"No further comment on Mr. Chadwell or any other suspect will be afforded in the foreseeable future," Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby said Wednesday when the Journal & Courier called asking for follow-up information about James Brian Chadwell.

Well.

I don't know whether that's something happening or if they're just fed up with all the questions and queries.
They wouldn't just shut everything down because they were sick of answering questions, it's obvious people are going to wonder what's going on after 4 1/2 years.
I pray they're into something or someone, they can blackout all they like but they're going to have to let us know eventually.

I do think it means something that they actually came out and declared a blackout. They could have just declined to answer whenever they were asked. This sounds like something you do when you are trying to say “ don’t bother me...I’m busy”.
My guess, probably more my hope, is that maybe, just maybe, they are shutting things down because they have identified a suspect and don’t want him to know they are preparing to come for him.
Would they do this as a means to protect the current Lafyette case against JC? I only wonder because they have already requested a change of venue.

It just seems strange to me to choose now to basically say "leave us alone". The case has had tons of interest for years and I'm sure they were getting a lot more phone calls about Chadwell after he was captured. And they probably got a ton of phone calls about Nations or any other POIs in the past, but never came out and said something like this. Factored in with what GH said a few days ago, I will remain hopeful.

You could argue that this is in response to Chadwell’s attorney’s complaint about all the publicity etc but in reality most of the talk about the case is not from Indiana LE, it’s from social and main stream media, so, I think this move would accomplish little in that regard.

This is not behind a paywall so you should be able to read it.

Delphi murders: Blackout imposed in Libby and Abby killings
Controlling info.nationally is one thing, but internationally the bets might be off.
They really want to nail the right perp for the right crimes, perhaps at this point especially, they do not want to potentially mess up the case(s), imo, speculation.
From link, thanks! rbbm...

''At the time of Chadwell's arrest, Leazenby said they were aware of him and he was being looked at — as are other possible persons of interest or possible suspects.

The story soon garnered international attention when other news outlets across the country and in the United Kingdom posted stories about Chadwell's arrest and his charges.

Chadwell's attorneys filed a change of venue on May 21, citing the local, national and international news coverage makes it unlikely that Chadwell can receive a fair trial in Tippecanoe County.

A hearing on Chadwell's motion for a change of venue is scheduled for Aug. 31.''

I wondered the same. The words “foreseeable future” were included..

"No further comment on Mr. Chadwell or any other suspect will be afforded in the foreseeable future," Carroll County Sheriff Tobe Leazenby said Wednesday when the Journal & Courier called asking for follow-up information about James Brian Chadwell.

"Mr. Chadwell or any other suspect"

Welp, guess we know now that JBC is still a suspect.

Completely unrelated to this case, however I wanted to see if these media blackouts were common in Murder investigations. Not surprisingly the majority of hits were on the recent Delphi blackout news.

I did find this article out of Chicago that was interesting. Again, only sharing for an example of how blackouts have been used.

Murder cases in DuPage subject to Birkett blackout

"Public safety was satisfied," Birkett said. "The curiosity of the media is not of paramount importance when you're trying to solve a murder."

"The purpose of the rules is to prevent lawyers from trying their cases in the media, creating a situation where the trial ultimately would not be a fair proceeding," said Steve Beckett, director of trial advocacy at the University of Illinois College of Law. "It isn't meant to be a chill ... to prevent law enforcement agencies or prosecutors from making comments about matters of public interest."

I generally don’t watch GH videos. He seems to have decent information but they are soooo long and soooo boring. I did watch the relevant parts of this one thanks to the time marks by @Ravenmoon.
Most of this stuff I think we’ve all heard before, but it’s nice to get it “confirmed” by GH.
One of the most interesting things I thought was about the two sketches. The guest said only months after the murders, his family member was told about a second sketch by his source that was done two or three days after the murders. The source then remarked “which sketch would you rely on, the one done days afterward or one done 5 months afterward”. The source seemed frustrated that the focus was going to be the 5 month sketch.
I have said before and do think that the sketches have been rendered useless now by how LE has handled them, but the information above I think is interesting.
1) The source doesn’t agree with going with the 5 month sketch, so I wonder who made that decision at that time and why. It appears then that there was disagreement on that.
2) The source hints that he believes the days old sketch should have been used first, so he must believe, from something he knows surrounding the days old sketch, that that sketch is more legitimate and closer to the truth. To me this is confirmation that the sketch from 2019 is the one we should be paying attention to. LE initially said that at the 2019 presser and then danced it into oblivion so nobody is paying attention to it now.
3) LE acknowledged that they might have missed something early on and were going to revisit things. This has to be part of that. Why did they dismiss the days old sketch? Who decided to ignore it for two years? Who persuaded LE away from it?
4) This is the most important thing about the days old sketch. It is less about the sketch itself and more about the information that came with the sketch. That is info that LE chose to ignore until 2019 and we all would love to know why.

5) Think how different this case might be if LE had gone with the days old sketch from the get go. Think how different it might be knowing the killer was a younger slimmer guy instead of some pot bellied 50 year old dude from the beginning.
6) If it was a citizen that led LE away from the days old sketch and information then he should be at the top of the POI list. If it was someone in LE that led them away from it, they should be fired.
I would love to know what other folks think about this.
Quoted bbm to touch on a couple of your points.

'New' Delphi suspect sketch was drawn days after murders of 2 Indiana girls, artist says

I have been re-reading old articles, and this one about the new sketch and the wording below has my mind buzzing. I realize it is not a direct quote from any of the LE officals on this case, but the info has my attention anyhow.

"But on Monday, officials said the new image came about after some bit of new information that had been "continuously reviewed and examined." Authorities said the image "more accurately" depicted the face of the suspect from video recorded on German's cell phone while she and Abigail were on the High Bridge."

If there was 'new information that had been continuously reviewed and examined', then my mind is thinking that Investigators circled back to some video or maybe still photographs that perhaps had previously been either overlooked as insignificant, or only received in early 2019.

If this 'new information' ended up corroberating the resemblance and information for the second sketch provided by the witness, then it could have been the game-changer for their new investigative strategy.

LE then decided to forge ahead and present the public with the second sketch after keeping it on the back burner once they recognized that there was much more credibility with this suspect/sketch then they had previously given thought to.

All JMO and speculation

JMO

Would they do this as a means to protect the current Lafyette case against JC? I only wonder because they have already requested a change of venue.

This is what I think is going on. They are just trying to make sure nothing causes issues for the current case he's charged with. I don't think it means anything about his (or anyone else's) involvement in the Delphi case.

Well.

I don’t know either but it wouldn’t surprise me, just guessing but I’m reminded of somebody’s post here who was totally disgusted with the antics of FB group members - saying they’d pick a possible suspect and then every member was supposed to send in a tip, seemingly in hopes the power of numbers alone might result in an arrest.

So maybe LE is presently being flooded with calls inquiring on the status of the investigation of JBC on that same premise? It resembles the tactic of a teenager pestering a parent over and over again for something they want in the hopes the parent will eventually relent and give in.

LE didn’t say what led to this comment but it appears it was the reporter who used the word “blackout” in the title of the article. LE just said in a nice way “don’t bother asking”. That they won’t release investigative updates on specific individuals prior to charges being laid and an arrest taking place is to be expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288