GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
I find it a bit interesting that the Atlanta PD got the FBI involved within a day.
Maybe they are thinking it’s a hate crime?
I am thinking that is a possibility based on her being lesbian perhaps. Or, that the Atlanta PD has obtained some evidence that they need FBI expertise for perhaps. Just speculation. The odd thing about hate crimes based on her sexuality is that it means the killer knew who she was or at least knew something about her. How would they knew she would be in the park at that time? I would be interested to know if Katherine had a routine of walking the dog at that time of night.

disfigured? what would that mean?
Sounds horrifying, decapitation? speculation.
WSB-TV REPORTS: Woman, dog found stabbed to death in Piedmont Park
''After Janness didn’t return home, her wife pinged her phone and arrived at Piedmont Park where she found the “disfigured body” of Janness and and their dog at approximately 1 a.m. Wednesday.
Atlanta Police Chief Charles Hampton told WSB-TV, “It’s a gruesome scene.”''

rbbm.
"I lost the love of my life": Life partner of Piedmont Park murder victim shares heartfelt message
''Janness was a bartender at Campagnola, near 10th and Piedmont, for half a decade. And those who came in contact with her had nothing but good things to say about her.
"She was a very sweet person, a little geeky,” said Clayton Skinner, who was one of her regular customers. “It’s really shocking that something like this would happen to somebody who was such a sweet and just kind soul.”

Skinner, who also lives in Midtown, said he often saw Janness walking her dog in the neighborhood.

“She routinely walked her dog late at night because she typically worked night shift,” he said. I think maybe she had a sense the park was safer than it is,
especially now with everything that’s going on.”

Police search for evidence in brutal stabbing at Piedmont Park
ATLANTA (CBS46) — Police say Katherine Janness, 40, was stabbed several times, and mutilated…

Last edited:
Not many people would attack a person with a pit.Even with a knife the dog would have had a chance to overpower them.It makes me wonder if someone had been watching her and targeting her.

Not many people would attack a person with a pit.Even with a knife the dog would have had a chance to overpower them.It makes me wonder if someone had been watching her and targeting her.
I thought of this too. And someone on next-door pointed out that most pits will not let anyone walk next to you or let a stranger get too close. That has been my experience. Her dog was a city dog though I am was probably used to walking next to other people and dogs every day. Bowie looks like a small pit in the photos I have seen and not at all intimidating. But I probably do have a blind Eye and am biased when it comes to that.

Jumping off from there - someone the dog had met previously perhaps? My dog is very small and not exactly threatening but she’d go ham on anyone unfamiliar stepping up on us in the dark.

Haha! i fixed it.
The subject matter is not funny, it's horrible. But around here, I'll take a laugh when I can get one.

''Janness and her girlfriend, Emma Clark, had been together for about seven years and considered themselves married, said Clark's father, Joe Clark. "They would've been together forever," Joe Clark told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "They were that couple."

What a senseless and sad loss of life.

I find it a bit interesting that the Atlanta PD got the FBI involved within a day.

I am thinking that is a possibility based on her being lesbian perhaps. Or, that the Atlanta PD has obtained some evidence that they need FBI expertise for perhaps. Just speculation. The odd thing about hate crimes based on her sexuality is that it means the killer knew who she was or at least knew something about her. How would they knew she would be in the park at that time? I would be interested to know if Katherine had a routine of walking the dog at that time of night.
Good question. It doesn’t seem like the motive was robbery since her wife was able to ping her phone

Everyone who knows Katherine describes her as sweet and very kind. I don't want to speculate on what was done to her body, but just based on the early details we are hearing. It's no surprise the FBI is involved.

Was this a random (hate) crime or someone from the neighborhood who knew her? Customer from the restaurant/bar?

Everyone who knows Katherine describes her as sweet and very kind. I don't want to speculate on what was done to her body, but just based on the early details we are hearing. It's no surprise the FBI is involved.

Was this a random (hate) crime or someone from the neighborhood who knew her? Customer from the restaurant/bar?
Those are the two directions my brain is going as well. Hate crime or stalker. I don't think "disfigurement" and killing the dog fit with robbery or random violence at all. And while I'm the type (I work in DV) who always suspects the partner first, this time I just really don't get that vibe at all.

Those are the two directions my brain is going as well. Hate crime or stalker. I don't think "disfigurement" and killing the dog fit with robbery or random violence at all. And while I'm the type (I work in DV) who always suspects the partner first, this time I just really don't get that vibe at all.
Killing the dog takes it to a different level, you're right. It points to the killer wanting to spend time doing whatever he/she did to Katherine. No def not side-eyeing her life partner. But it could be someone connected to the partner, which opens a whole other set of motives.

Part of my mind thinks the killer was a drugged out crazy person and the attack was random.

But it was such a brazen crime that it seems like it might be that the killer is someone who has killed with a knife before.

what is the best way to research if there are recent crimes of a similar nature… outdoors and disfigurement…
Editing to add my thought that if the killer was anyone she knew or anyone who had any sense of mindfulness at all they would not commit a murder in that spot.

The location of this crime is not one where a killer could expect to spend time with a victim, imo. Yards from a busy road and across the street from a high school (which would surely have cameras).

This is awful. The crime in Atlanta and the surrounding areas has seriously escalated since the pandemic started. I mean I find it nuts personally. I live in a smallish town 40 min north and what we've had happen in the last year are crazy. Attempted kidnappings in broad daylight, out door stabbings, multiple murders. And this area is not remotely known for crime.

This sounds personal though. If the neighbors had camera footage of her leaving the house then the PD know when her wife left too and could quickly rule that out. It just seems extreme for random murder though. I hope they find her killer quickly. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pabo1998