Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #65 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Slim to none chance Barry testifies.....and Slim is on a sabattical. His lawyers are going to go after LE witnesses...maybe even have their own "experts" explain away data and technical evidence which is detrimental to their case. Will they build a straw man abductor? Very possible.
Yeah, that would open a door that would lead straight to prison. Barry’s initial defense team called much of the affidavit, “character assassination.”

It seems as if there’s a hell of a lot that would damage him on the stand, and the defense would want to minimize that evidence by keeping him on the sidelines.

Yeah, that would open a door that would lead straight to prison. Barry’s initial defense team called much of the affidavit, “character assassination.”

It seems as if there’s a hell of a lot that would damage him on the stand, and the defense would want to minimize that evidence by keeping him on the sidelines.
Totally agree.

We had a case here a week or so ago. Defendant Scott Walker murdered his step daughter Berni. Took the stand and half way through cried like a baby and asked for his mummy, sorry lawyer. Absolutely cooked himself to guilty. Too much to hope that BM would do the same.

It appears, could be wrong ,that the short rifle charge referenced between May 10, 2020 and March 4, 2021. That coincides with the tampering charge timetable. Does anyone think that short rifle figures into the larger crime?

It appears, could be wrong ,that the short rifle charge referenced between May 10, 2020 and March 4, 2021. That coincides with the tampering charge timetable. Does anyone think that short rifle figures into the larger crime?
I don’t think it figures. I still think the DA just stacked charges. If it doesn’t figure in the case it is an easy one to defend against especially if he had it in Indiana where it is legal. If they are going to say he shot her with it they will need enough evidence to prove that without a body since he probably had several hunting rifles.

And they couldn't have gone through the entire contents of the house and stumbled on a secret pen with recordings. Who told them about the pen or what was the reason they found it? It's a spy pen, spy is right in the title... I am sure it isn't obviously a recording device. I mean LE didn't scoop everything up and try clicking every pen from her desk. Someone either told LE about this, or this was part of some collection of property; perhaps in a safe deposit box or something of that sort. Something made it stick out.

The story is much deeper than we know yet.

Good point.

I'm thinking the BFF back in Indiana knew about the pen. And much much more.

I don’t think it figures. I still think the DA just stacked charges. If it doesn’t figure in the case it is an easy one to defend against especially if he had it in Indiana where it is legal. If they are going to say he shot her with it they will need enough evidence to prove that without a body since he probably had several hunting rifles.
If he had it in Indiana he wouldn’t have been charged in the first place. He had to have possessed it in Colorado, where it is illegal.

I’d be shocked if law enforcement did not have that gun in their possession.

Good point.

I'm thinking the BFF back in Indiana knew about the pen. And much much more.
I think maybe while LE was screening and processing computer data, cell phones, etc....I think maybe some of these recordings were stored on the laptop, tablet or even cell phones. They possibly found the recordings, and determined the source was still in the home..likely ascertaining that it was a spy pen. They then added this to the second warrant and searched & found it.

And they couldn't have gone through the entire contents of the house and stumbled on a secret pen with recordings. Who told them about the pen or what was the reason they found it? It's a spy pen, spy is right in the title... I am sure it isn't obviously a recording device. I mean LE didn't scoop everything up and try clicking every pen from her desk. Someone either told LE about this, or this was part of some collection of property; perhaps in a safe deposit box or something of that sort. Something made it stick out.

The story is much deeper than we know yet.

I am not following why LE had to have been told about the spy pen - as stated more than once in this thread (not aimed directly at this post).

I don't know why LE couldn't have found the spy pen, all by themselves. They were in that house for a heck of a long time, and this is not their first rodeo.

They likely are not unfamiliar with what a spy pen looks like (fatter pen with adornment to hide the microphone/camera). It seems they likely know that a Kindle can be used for other purposes besides reading.
And, for all we know, an LE officer or two might have a child who uses a spy pen to record classes in school - one use that was mentioned by a previous poster.

IMO many/most pens are not fat pens these days. They are quite slimlined and easier to hold. The spy pen could have stuck out like a sore thumb, to them.

I am not saying that they were not told about it. Anything is possible. But it doesn't follow, for me, that they had to have been told about it.

I think maybe while LE was screening computer data, cell phones, etc....I think maybe some of these recordings were stored on the laptop, tablet or even cell phones. They possibly found the recordings, and determined the source was still in the home..likely ascertaining that it was a spy pen. They then added this to the second warrant and searched & found it.
That’s definitely possible, as it would explain the second search. I don’t think that’s what happened though.

Suzanne going to these lengths would probably have been for a compelling reason, and I can’t imagine she wouldn’t have told a close friend that she was making recordings.

I also believe this wasn’t her idea, as I doubt many people would even think to use a device like this. I think whoever suggested this to her also knew what she was doing.

These sorts of things probably were revealed early on the investigation, likely before the first search warrant. I’m just glad we won’t have to wait long for the answers.

That’s definitely possible, as it would explain the second search. I don’t think that’s what happened though.

Suzanne going to these lengths would probably have been for a compelling reason, and I can’t imagine she wouldn’t have told a close friend that she was making recordings.

I also believe this wasn’t her idea, as I doubt many people would even think to use a device like this. I think whoever suggested this to her also knew what she was doing.

These sorts of things probably were revealed early on the investigation, likely before the first search warrant. I’m just glad we won’t have to wait long for the answers.

BBM

If this is the case, I think it is likely a DV related thing. Either told to Suzanne, or heard as a group, while "working for DV meetings".
Capturing possible evidence for a restraining order seems the most likely reason. IMO

Its difficult to even speculate. Looking at Suzanne's situation....her entire fortune was invested in Barry's vision for the future.....all of it. Her inheritance was not only sizable materially.....but the emotional attachment of her legacy must have been enormous, and Barry took that too. Likewise, Barry was disassembling Suzanne's relationship with her family, and had been for several years. IOW....Suzanne's identity was purged, imo. She was chattel. If Barry had designs on life without Suzanne...and was developing a new life and identity for himself.....liquidation was just down the road...and Suzanne may have figured that out, somehow. This guy stripped his wife of her identity....that was made clear when he alienated her and her daughters from her father, and likely her mother before that....not to mention Melinda and Andy. Suzanne was surely aware of this cruel, heartless and calculating behavior. At what point did it ignite an escape plan? While the marriage was deteriorating...Barry was removing Suzanne from her natural family, at the same time.

Its difficult to even speculate. Looking at Suzanne's situation....her entire fortune was invested in Barry's vision for the future.....all of it. Her inheritance was not only sizable materially.....but the emotional attachment of her legacy must have been enormous, and Barry took that too. Likewise, Barry was disassembling Suzanne's relationship with her family, and had been for several years. IOW....Suzanne's identity was purged, imo. She was chattel. If Barry had designs on life without Suzanne...and was developing a new life and identity for himself.....liquidation was just down the road...and Suzanne may have figured that out, somehow. This guy stripped his wife of her identity....that was made clear when he alienated her and her daughters from her father, and likely her mother before that....not to mention Melinda and Andy. Suzanne was surely aware of this cruel, heartless and calculating behavior. At what point did it ignite an escape plan? While the marriage was deteriorating...Barry was removing Suzanne from her natural family, at the same time.
Hmm not sure about “all that”. They were married for a long time. It is possible Suzanne was thinking of divorcing Barry but they both contributed to the marriage financially and I have to assume agreed on major purchases. I don’t personally agree at all with the characterization of a meek, weak person controlled by her husband. I think she genuinely wanted to make her marriage work. We now know that Suzanne had some feelings about her father she was working through and we know she was significantly younger than her siblings and while she might not have been in weekly touch with all her siblings from both her mother’s marriages I no longer think she was estranged in any extreme sense.

I have read references to Suzanne "working through" her feelings about her father...But there really isn't any evidence of that. I've read where Suzanne was at meetings about her alcoholic or abusive father. Where is the evidence of that? None of the siblings as far as I can see referenced a problematic father. It has been mentioned that Suzanne had reservations about moving to Colorado. Wouldn't that mean it was Barry's idea? She sunk what 600K into that house, including 100k from her father. How did that loan happen? Who asked for it? I suspect Barry pressured her into it....knowing full well that Gene Moorman would have a hard time saying No to his daughter. Look at the relationship of Suzanne's daughters to their maternal family....that was most certainly estranged....who did that? Suzanne? I don't think so. I never bought into the narrative that Suzanne was attending group meetings because of her father...I always thought it was about Barry if it happened.

I have read references to Suzanne "working through" her feelings about her father...But there really isn't any evidence of that. I've read where Suzanne was at meetings about her alcoholic or abusive father. Where is the evidence of that? None of the siblings as far as I can see referenced a problematic father. It has been mentioned that Suzanne had reservations about moving to Colorado. Wouldn't that mean it was Barry's idea? She sunk what 600K into that house, including 100k from her father. How did that loan happen? Who asked for it? I suspect Barry pressured her into it....knowing full well that Gene Moorman would have a hard time saying No to his daughter. Look at the relationship of Suzanne's daughters to their maternal family....that was most certainly estranged....who did that? Suzanne? I don't think so. I never bought into the narrative that Suzanne was attending group meetings because of her father...I always thought it was about Barry if it happened.
Much if this information came from Melinda, courtesy of Chris’ show.

She talked about Suzanne attending Al-Anon meetings to deal with Gene’s alcoholism. She also discussed Barry borrowing money from Gene, and then gaslighting, claiming that it was Suzanne who borrowed the money. He did ultimately pay it back.

More here:

I would not be surprised if it did.

That said, I have no idea how that potential puzzle piece will fit in.:)!

Same thoughts on the Voter Fraud charge.

Last edited:
Short Rifle & Murder? Dates?
Complaint* alleges:
--- SM's death was "between and including May 9, 2020 and May 10, 2020."
--- BM's short rifle possession was "Between and including May 9, 2020 and March 4, 2021."

Seems imo the time frame for rifle possession charge does not rule out BM using that rifle in causing SM's death.

{{ETA. @Scootie98 I think you posted May 10 re rifle charge and that's consistent w what I recalled from my first read of Complaint. If May 10 date re rifle is accurate, that still does not rule out its use in SM's death. Or am I confused?}}

But why the possession charge thru Mar 4, 2021?
@Cindizzi (TYVM) posted, PP home sale closed Mar 3.
After sale closed, and BM could not bar LE from searching, and w new owner's consent, did LE search again and find short rifle on PP prop?
Or maybe after coming across rifle at PP, new owners notified LE?
IDK, just possibilities.

The following article contains image (Scribd.com, similar or equivalent) to the Complaint. ^ sbm
'Spy Pen' Emerges as Key Piece of Evidence in Case of Accused Colorado Wife Killer Barry Morphew

Last edited:
If Barry were to somehow get bail, highly doubtful, but if....then absconded....seems to me his lawyers would then be off the hook. They already have his money. And likely won't be giving any of it back.
@Scootie98 If ^ and BM absconded, his attys would be off the hook in what way?
In aiding him in his departure if they did?
In retaining all funds he's paid to them?
Or something else?
Sorry to be dense, as I am sometimes.

Short Rifle & Murder? Dates?
Complaint* alleges:
--- SM's death was "between and including May 9, 2020 and May 10, 2020."
--- BM's short rifle possession was "Between and including May 9, 2020 and March 4, 2021."

Seems imo the time frame for rifle possession charge does not rule out BM using that rifle in causing SM's death.

{{ETA. @Scootie98 I think you posted May 10 re rifle charge and that's consistent w what I recalled from my first read of Complaint. If May 10 date re rifle is accurate, that still does not rule out its use in SM's death. Or am I confused?}}

After sale closed, and BM could not bar LE from searching, and w new owner's consent, did LE search again and find short rifle on PP prop?
IDK, just possibilities.

The following article contains image (Scribd.com, similar or equivalent) to the Complaint. ^ sbm
'Spy Pen' Emerges as Key Piece of Evidence in Case of Accused Colorado Wife Killer Barry Morphew

Thanks, @al66pine for posting BM's DANGEROUS WEAPON CHARGE.

I tend to confuse Colorado's "illegal weapon" and "dangerous weapon" and/or which is what.

1. What is a dangerous weapon in Colorado?

You violate 18-12-102 C.R.S. when you possess a dangerous weapon.

In Colorado, a “dangerous weapon” means any:

• firearm silencer,
  • machine gun,
  • short shotgun,
  • short rifle, or
  • ballistic knife.
“Ballistic knife” means any knife that has a blade that is forcefully projected from the handle by means of a spring-loaded device or explosive charge.

“Firearm silencer” means any instrument, attachment, weapon, or appliance for causing the firing of any gun, revolver, pistol, or other firearm to be silent or intended to lessen or muffle the noise of the firing of any such weapon.

“Machine gun” means any firearm, whatever its size and usual designation, that shoots automatically more than one shot, without manual reloading, by a single function of the trigger.

“Short rifle” means a rifle having a barrel less than sixteen inches long or an overall length of fewer than twenty-six inches.

“Short shotgun” means a shotgun having a barrel or barrels less than eighteen inches long or an overall length of fewer than twenty-six inches. This includes shotguns of normal length that have been sawed-off so that the barrel is less than eighteen inches.

Also, a weapon does not need to be operable in order to be dangerous. You violate 18-12-102 C.R.S. if the weapon can be made operable with the addition of a readily replaceable part or quick repair.

2. What is an illegal weapon in Colorado?

Colorado 18-12-102 C.R.S. makes it a misdemeanor to knowingly possess an illegal weapon, defined as any:

• blackjack,
  • gas gun, or
  • metallic knuckles.
“Blackjack” includes any billy, sand club, sandbag, or other hand-operated striking weapon consisting, at the striking end, of an encased piece of lead or other heavy substance and, at the handle end, a strap or springy shaft which increases the force of impact.

“Gas gun” means a device designed for projecting gas-filled projectiles that release their contents after having been projected from the device and includes projectiles designed for use in such a device.

“Knowingly” does not mean that you knew that the weapon was illegal. It means that you didn’t know that you possessed it.

• Example: Andie, a teenager, is hanging out on the street smoking weed with her girlfriends when a police officer approaches. Unbeknownst to Andie, one of her friends slips a blackjack into her backpack. When the officer searches the girls, he finds the blackjack and charges Andie with possession of an illegal weapon. However, if she can create a reasonable doubt that she knew she had the blackjack, Andie should be found not guilty of the charges
What weapons are illegal in Colorado? (18-12-102 CRS)

IDK, just possibilities.
^^rsbm

BM could have had the gun in his residence, vehicle, or place of business. Investigators may also have evidence that BM sold or exchanged the dangerous weapon (short rifle) on March 4, 2021.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member