Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, here's another brainstorming speculation scenario.

There have been two recent cases of women visiting Arizona from the eastern US and they went for a walk in the heat, got in trouble, approached a nearby house for help, but no one was home, and both women died.

(AZ - AZ - Julie Cappetta, 53, visiting from PA, went for a walk, Sun Lakes, 10 Jul 2021

and

the case referenced earlier in this thread by @NancyDrewPonders : Boston woman dies while hiking in Arizona)

So with those statistic in mind, what if PK headed out on his run and at some point got heat distressed, but was within sight of one of the neighborhoods that border the area. (or alternatively he gets disoriented and thinks he's heading back toward his car but really he's heading toward a different development). He goes to a house for help but no one is home. Since no one has come forward saying they found PK's body at their home when they arrived home later, we'll have to speculate he went to a home that is unoccupied -- vacation home, empty airbnb, or residents away/on vacation.

It sounds implausible but since it actually happened to these two women just this summer, it seems prudent to check all the developments that border this park, in particular all homes that have been vacant since prior to July 10.

MOO

Do you think his phone was an Apple? I don't. Here's why:
he had a Suunto watch. That makes me think he's not an 'Apple kinda guy'. If he had an Apple phone, I'm sure he'd have had an Apple watch for running too.

Perhaps his phone was a Samsung or something else.....?

MOO.

I don't think his watch necessarily indicates an iPhone or not. The Apple Watch has a notoriously poor battery life (<24h) compared to other smart watches/running watches (several days or more), so it's really not a great choice for someone wanting to use it for GPS/fitness reasons. That's what dissuaded me from getting one even though I am pretty much an 'Apple person'. Plenty of better choices out there for fitness...

Do you think his phone was an Apple? I don't. Here's why:
he had a Suunto watch. That makes me think he's not an 'Apple kinda guy'. If he had an Apple phone, I'm sure he'd have had an Apple watch for running too.

Perhaps his phone was a Samsung or something else.....?

MOO.
I have no idea. I just used the iPhone/iOS as an example because I'm familiar with it. I think Suunto works similar to Garmin, where it syncs the watch first to its proprietary app, then to Strava (on whatever phone/OS). Garmin and Suunto make GPS watches with running specific features. The Apple watch seems more like a fancy fitness monitor with a zillion extra functions.
ETA plus what @aim4thestars said

(Can we post comments from WS verified insiders that were written on other websites? Please delete my comment below if not, but I *think* that's allowed.)

Someone asked a question about why the text screenshots between PK and his wife that were shared on the AMA document weren't blue bubbles (as they would be on an iPhone). CT replied: "It’s directly from Jen’s phone, hers has the Cricket carrier. It’s green vs blue because Phil doesn’t have an iPhone."

From this, we can learn that Phil doesn't have an iPhone and his wife's phone is a Cricket phone.

I found mention of PK in a travel/adventure book written by friends of his. This is how they spoke of him:

There’s Philip Kreycik, architect of the most ridiculous trips, including a one-day bicycle ride + climb of Mt Washington from Cambridge, and a 56-mile/19-hour Hut Traverse.

From Read The Great Quest Online by Matthew Gilbertson and Eric Gilbertson | Books

* If I have understood this correctly, a one-day bicycle ride from Cambridge, MA to Mt Washington? And then he climbed the mountain? Holy crap!

Google Maps

Maybe they're really frugal?

Yes, could be. But there's being frugal - and then there's being absolutely miserly and penny-pinching.
I'm not even sure it'd be saving them that much in the long term anyway.

And again, I'll bring up the worn-out shoes he went running in. Yes, we all use our shoes a bit beyond what we should, but if you're a runner, you can't really take the risk with poor grip, no foot cushioning etc. You could risk an injury or shock absorbion pain.

So, a Pay-As-You-Go cheap cell phone network provider, and old worn shoes.

It sounds to me like they're living like a pair of skint teenagers. I do wonder if there were any financial struggles?

MOO.

It was stated in the *** that they were pretty minimalistic/non-materialistic so it's not that odd IMO

Well, I'm not materialistic or well paid either, but I still do better than these two.
I value being able to call and use the internet when I want, so pay for an 20gb data plan. It's cheap enough.

Thing is, it's peace of mind. I'm surprised having 2 young children, they didn't upgrade to more secure and reliable things. Shoes and phones are a good place to start.

I do wonder what they DID spend their money on....maybe they are saving it for early retirement?

Yes, could be. But there's being frugal - and then there's being absolutely miserly and penny-pinching.

And again, I'll bring up the worn-out shoes he went running in. Yes, we all use our shoes a bit beyond what we should, but if you're a runner, you can't really take the risk with poor grip, no foot cushioning etc. You could risk an injury or shock absorbion pain.

It sounds to me like they're living like a pair of skint teenagers. I do wonder if there were any financial struggles?

MOO.

this is a big stretch. I know plenty of runners who use their shoes way past their prime. plus, trail running does a BEATING on shoes.

MOO.
Why do you say his shoes were worn out & unsafe? Do the footprints in the AMA seem that way to you? Or do you have other evidence?

What does their financial situation have to do with him being missing? Again, evidence?

Thank you.

this is a big stretch.

I think, case wise, we're now at the place where they're needed.

That aside, the most important thing you can do is wear good comfortable supporting shoes, that are correct for you and your activity.
Your feet are so important. One little thing goes wrong and you can't even walk properly.

Well, I'm not materialistic or well paid either, but I still do better than these two.
I value being able to call and use the internet when I want, so pay for an 20gb data plan. It's cheap enough.

Thing is, it's peace of mind. I'm surprised having 2 young children, they didn't upgrade to more secure and reliable things. Shoes and phones are a good place to start.

I do wonder what they DID spend their money on....maybe they are saving it for early retirement?

a no-contract phone plan such as Cricket is just as secure/reliable as a contract phone FYI. it's more than just pay-as-you go - there are unlimited plans, etc. they use the same network as contract phones.

Why do you say his shoes were worn out & unsafe? Do the footprints in the AMA seem that way to you? Or do you have other evidence?

What does their financial situation have to do with him being missing? Again, evidence?

Thank you.

I'll have to find it, but I do recall something being mentioned about his worn out Saucony shoes.....

As for evidence of their financial situation being anything to do with him being missing, they isn't any evidence. It's was entirely my own opinion, that financial struggles, could lead to stress, or even a voluntary disappearance. MOO. MOO.MOO.

Let’s be clear: that proposed run route was from years earlier and would have taken far longer than the 45 minutes he allotted for his run. Additionally, it’s start is on a private drive. Finally, he parked at a staging area that was unnecessarily distant from the actual trailhead to that loop if he hoped to run part of it. Fixating on that loop can create tunnel vision, precluding that he ran in so many other directions on different trails.

For a 45 minute run, he would have planned to turn around at 20-25 minutes in order to return to his car. That is mostly fairly steep uphill terrain with questionable footing (especially in worn shoes!) from his parking spot, so it’d be remarkable if he made it three miles from his car. Hard to fathom he had heatstroke/delirium/runner’s high in that initial 20 minutes and just kept running.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarpSleuth