Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #65 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I initially thought these recordings might be with someone from the bank but i don’t think so anymore as a bank employee would have no problem handing things over.

What I remember hearing is IE saying the WITNESS was crucial, not the recordings on the spy pen themselves. I inferred from her comments that the FBI used the spy pen recordings to refresh the witness's recollection about something crucial, and that IE needed the enhanced recording or the enhancement technology the FBI used, to know precisely what was said on the recordings so that she could cross examine this crucial witness.

That being my understanding and inference, I am not as sure as other posters that the crucial witness was BM.[/QUOT

In April, when the FBI confronted BM with the fact that it was illegal to submit a ballot for his missing wife, BM said, "I didn't know you couldn't do that for your spouse."

I've been ruminating on that comment ever since. Reluctantly, I came to believe the comment reflects a value system that may be culturally supported in America, even in the time of #MeToo. MOO, it makes it easier to believe BM felt he was entitled to take SM's life because she was planning to leave him.

Across cultures, "uxorixide" (wife- or girlfriend-murder) long has been culturally supported and remains so in culturally conservative countries.

Vestiges of cultural support for the treatment of women as the property of their husbands can be found in the history of the English common law of "coverture", under which a married woman was considered to have merged with her husband and was subject to his protection and control - to the extent she had no legal right to act independently. It hasn't been that long since the practice was largely abolished in English-speaking countries. California finally abolished it by common law in 1954 (Follansbee v Benzenburg).

In fact, there are common law cases holding that a husband's marital rights included the right to beat his wife, including an American case that post-dates the Civil War.

"Wife beating is acknowledged in Blackstone's 'Commentaries,' and many court rulings sanctioned the practice.

(Perhaps) the earliest... (legal) reference to wife beating is the 17th century, when one Dr. Marmaduke Coghill, an Irish judge, held that a man who had beaten his wife "with such a switch as the one he held in his hand" was within his matrimonial privilege.

In the 18th century a judge named Francis Buller, dubbed "Judge Thumb" by the famous caricaturist James Gillray, was said to have allowed that a man could beat his wife, as long as the punitive stick was no thicker than his thumb. (A witty countess was said to have asked the judge to measure her husband's thumb exactly, so that she might know the precise extent of his privilege.)

..."Three 19th-century cases in America... mention the "rule of thumb," including an 1868 ruling in North Carolina that 'the defendant had a right to whip his wife with a switch no larger than his thumb.'" Misunderstood "Rule of Thumb"...

Back to the present day, we have seen the growth online of a terrorist "male supremacist ecosystem" that includes "incels" - a radicalized subculture of advocates for harassment of - and violence against - women. These men commonly feel entitled to sex and believe women have too much power.

In this context, I have been speculating (MOO) that BM had a sense of sexual entitlement, and a kind of "married male privilege" to act on his wife's behalf, that is supported by some influential elements of our current culture.
Good post.....I agree that Barry felt entitled......I will go you one step further....Barry considered himself Suzanne's guardian angel...having nursed her back to life from cancer..in his own mind. Yes, I think he patted himself on the back to the point of a dislocated shoulder....No way Suzanne could leave him or ask for a divorce..because she already owed him her life....IOW...her life was worth whatever he determined it to be.

I wonder if thats when they could smell bleach too.
We don’t know if LE smelled bleach I don’t think. I thought that came from one of the “Andy said soneone told him” but if someone was there in the 10th and reported it to the tip line I am certain LE would have interviewed that person just asi am sure they checked on the hot tub chlorination tabs with the pool and spa store owner.

I totally agree.
And I believe he was ruining her relationship with her daughters as well. I think she tried to get them to work for their money and not expect to get things for nothing. And I think he insisted upon them all having Range Rovers and whatever they wanted. He probably told the girls it was all him---Their mom didn't want them to have these luxuries but he has their backs. JMO

Also the pen could have been used for spying on one of the daughters. (Or both) Maybe BM is even using little things like this to say...your mother was doing this or that, trying to control you, etc. I believe there were a great many things going on in the household (family) that was much more than just their relationship. IMO.

Yup. August 9th, 10th, then a two week gap, followed by the last two dates on the 23rd and 24th.
I’ll confess I’ve only followed a handful of preliminaries but the split dates surprised me. It’s almost as if the state is giving the defendant an opportunity to see what coming at him and use the opportunity to negotiate a plea. Are split dates like this a common practice?

I’ll confess I’ve only followed a handful of preliminaries but the split dates surprised me. It’s almost as if the state is giving the defendant an opportunity to see what coming at him and use the opportunity to negotiate a plea. Are split dates like this a common practice?
I’ve never seen it, but I don’t think that’s what’s going on. I think it was a scheduling thing, and maybe 4 consecutive days didn’t work for one of the parties.

My initial theory was that they built in a buffer, just in case they weren’t able to go as scheduled next week.

It now looks as if there’s just so much evidence that it could actually go the distance.

<modsnip> I thought it would be helpful to note some of the evidence we do, or do not, have at this point.

Zero evidence that SM is dead.
Zero evidence that SM was harmed on Mother's Day 2020.
Zero evidence that SM was EVER harmed by BLM.
Zero evidence of domestic violence.
Zero evidence of marriage infidelity.
Zero evidence that either BLM or SM was planning to exit the marriage.
Zero evidence of controlling behavior.
Zero evidence SM was afraid of BLM or anyone else.
Zero evidence of spying by BLM.
Zero evidence of greedy behavior by BLM or SM.
Zero evidence or money problems in the marriage.
Two daughters who are presumably among those who know BLM the best and who appear to be standing by him.

Just something to think about.

Last edited by a moderator:
<modsnip> I thought it would be helpful to note some of the evidence we do, or do not, have at this point.

Zero evidence that either BLM or SM was planning to exit the marriage.
Zero evidence of spying by BLM.
Zero evidence of greedy behavior by BLM or SM.
Zero evidence or money problems in the marriage.
Two daughters who are presumably among those who know BLM the best and who appear to be standing by him.

We don’t have that evidence yet, but law enforcement surely does. That’s what matters at this point, although we won’t have to wait long.

If there was no evidence Suzanne is dead, Barry murdered her, and he did so on or around Mother’s Day, then the judge would not have signed that arrest warrant.

As for the greed, infidelity, deceit, control; Melinda surely had some things to say about that. I have no reason to believe she was lying.

*spelling*

Bank Employee & Recordings?
I initially thought these recordings might be with someone from the bank but i don’t think so anymore as a bank employee would have no problem handing things over.
@Whitneyh Not sure I'm following the line of thought.
"These recordings." Spy pen recordings? Or other?
What bank? One in IN. or CO. or elsewhere?
What employee? How would bank employee obtain recordings?
Another poster mentioned bank safe deposit boxes. Is your post suggesting bank employee may have accessed SM's deposit box & provided recordings and/or other contents to LE?

Sorry if I'm waaay off base, just trying to follow your (former) thoughts. Thx in adv.

RSBBM.
You are not wrong, @RumorMonger, depending on what you consider to be “evidence”. We have zero formal evidence at this point, but we have plenty of family commentary on BM’s controlling behavior and SM’ s fear. The rest, by and large, is MOO. And most of us label it so. I’m looking forward to the insight that next week is sure to provide…

MOO, as always. :)

No, no, sorry for not being more clear. I initially thought the person on the other end of these recordings may be someone from the bank and their finances. I do not think that anymore as it seems that LE interviewed the person that these recordings belonged too so I think that theory is wrong as well. Sorry for not being more clear.

Bank Employee & Recordings?
@Whitneyh Not sure I'm following the line of thought.
"These recordings." Spy pen recordings? Or other?
What bank? One in IN. or CO. or elsewhere?
What employee? How would bank employee obtain recordings?
Another poster mentioned bank safe deposit boxes. Is your post suggesting bank employee may have accessed SM's deposit box & provided recordings and/or other contents to LE?

Sorry if I'm waaay off base, just trying to follow your (former) thoughts. Thx in adv.

SBM
Exactly.
Not knowing the specifics of the evidence does not negate the existence of that evidence.

10k pages of police reports, are certainly not blank pages.

Hundreds of hours of audio and video would presumably contain evidence (1 terabyte can store 500 hours of video alone).

RSBM
Nothing to argue...we have zero evidence, My biggest problem has always been the total lack of candor on Barry's part.

Sad, that after 25 years of marriage not one, much less two of Suzanne's friends have anything to say about the marriage or relationship, not one nice sentiment to offer or example about what a wonderful couple they were, great marriage they had..... Not one word of support for BLM. That speaks volumes to me. Just something to think about.

No, no, sorry for not being more clear. I initially thought the person on the other end of these recordings may be someone from the bank and their finances. I do not think that anymore as it seems that LE interviewed the person that these recordings belonged too so I think that theory is wrong as well. Sorry for not being more clear.
@Whitneyh Thx for your clarification. Accountholder convo's w bank customer service reps are often recorded, so they could be a possible source of info. Not out of the realm of possibility.

RSBBM.
You are not wrong, @RumorMonger, depending on what you consider to be “evidence”. We have zero formal evidence at this point, but we have plenty of family commentary on BM’s controlling behavior and SM’ s fear. The rest, by and large, is MOO. And most of us label it so. I’m looking forward to the insight that next week is sure to provide…

MOO, as always. :)

I am not concerned with what internet readers think is evidence, right now.

I am concerned with what Judge Murphy thinks is probable cause/evidence. He signed the arrest warrant. So unless you consider him to be completely incompetent, there is more than zero evidence. Greater than zero. IMO, no one gets arrested with zero evidence. There's **some** evidence. And not just for one charge - for several.

We don't have it - but the Judge does. We are now watching a court proceeding and our system of justice at work. Why do some of you think our system arrests people with zero evidence? When it does happen, what are the reasons?

So far, I'm trusting our system. But...let's hear the evidence, for sure.

Not knowing the specifics of the evidence does not negate the existence of that evidence.

10k pages of police reports, are certainly not blank pages.

Hundreds of hours of audio and video would presumably contain evidence (1 terabyte can store 500 hours of video alone).

Thank you for making additional comments about evidence. Unfortunately, nothing you said refutes my point. Presumably, yes, there is evidence. We don't have access to it. People that are coming to conclusions on any of the topics that I originally mentioned are telling themselves stories.

I am concerned with what Judge Murphy thinks is probable cause/evidence. He signed the arrest warrant. So unless you consider him to be completely incompetent, there is more than zero evidence. Greater than zero. IMO, no one gets arrested with zero evidence. There's **some** evidence. And not just for one charge - for several.

We don't have it - but the Judge does. We are now watching a court proceeding and our system of justice at work. Why do some of you think our system arrests people with zero evidence? When it does happen, what are the reasons?

Agree with all you said. We can address that post line by line, after the hearings conclude :)
I think we'll find Barry wasn't as smart as he thought he was.

Again, presumably there is evidence. I did not say it doesn't exist, I said we don't have it. <modnsip> IMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member