Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #65 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
And who's to say she wasn't abducted! I wish the sheriff would have gotten on this right away. An attractive woman on a bike on a remote road. Happens to joggers. :(
Not only did the sheriff get on this right away, but he wasted little time calling in the big guns.

They also immediately sealed off the house, which was a remarkable bit of foresight.

Every law enforcement agency is aware of stranger abductions, none more than the FBI. Their handling of this says that not only did they know that an abduction did not occur, but this was a homicide.

We knew they knew this within the first week, and it became clear shortly thereafter that Barry was the prime suspect (search warrants on house and job site).

We’re mere days away from knowing the answers to many of our questions, and the answers to questions we haven’t even thought of.

I can’t wait.

I think it's going to take Governor Polis declaring another public health emergency before WebEx is ever allowed by Judge Murphy. He's made known his dislike for the service --citing it interferes with his concentration with the proceedings in his courtroom, plus the number of violators that recorded WebEx. He's definitely going old school here.
He's is definitely old school. Sunshine, judge, sunshine. There's more than 300 days of sunshine in CO except in the criminal courts. He will try to find a way to limit public access to the trial, too. The judge needs a remediation course in the constitutional rights of citizens and how denying those hurts the people he was appointed to serve. Just because he is the ultimate arbiter in this case doesn't mean he is right.

Last edited by a moderator:
And who's to say she wasn't abducted! I wish the sheriff would have gotten on this right away. An attractive woman on a bike on a remote road. Happens to joggers. :(
I don't think that is a fair assessment of their response. LE was on this right away and seemed to know BM was involved immediately. Not only did they exclude him and his friends from early searches but they obtained some pretty substantial assistance from the FBI and convinced a judge to issue many search warrants including to dig up someone's freshly poured foundation.

I can't wait to find out what that was.

I think the judge expected people to follow the law. I know I certainly expected grown adults to respect his orders. A couple contempt suits against You Tubers who violated the law would fix this issue.
Or the judge could realize he is in the wrong and stop denying access. It should ALL be open. Where is the harm? Fighting over keeping WebEx proceedings only available to a limited number of people is stupid. Just because the judge finds it personally uncomfortable is not a LEGAL REASON to close off any of these proceedings from cameras. JMO

Silence is golden, according to the CO criminal courts. If nothing else, this case should alert the citizens of that state to the egregious limitations to their presumptive rights that are ongoing in the 2nd decade of the 21st century.

"The Colorado Supreme Court has held that “criminal trials and pretrial proceedings should not be closed to media representatives unless an overriding and compelling state interest in closing the proceedings is demonstrated.” Star Journal Publ’g Corp. v. Cnty. Court, 591 P.2d 1028, 1030 (Colo. 1979). In Star Journal, the court held that a “judge may close a pretrial hearing only if (1) the dissemination of information would create a clear and present danger to the fairness of the trial; and (2) the prejudicial effect of such information on trial fairness cannot be avoided by any reasonable alternative means.” Id. The Court explained that “mere conjecture and allegations of prejudicial publicity” cannot justify an exclusion order. Id. The judge must “issue a written order setting forth specific factual findings in this regard.” Id.
Open Courts Compendium Colorado - Reporters Committee

Silence is NOT golden here given both media and the general public are allowed to attend criminal trials in person. Live Tweeting is also being allowed here so nobody will be waiting on the news.

Cases cited all predate today's technology.

Very limited and no EMC. But then, I'm never satisfied, am I? LOL.....MOO
We’re really lucky to have seen any of this via WebEx.

We never get to see preliminary hearings (virtually) in Colorado, and our only chance to see this one was if the judge didn’t allow people in the gallery.

As people are allowed to attend (70 plus, which is actually a large amount), there is no legal justification for the judge to also allow it to be broadcast.

That’s the law.

Not only did the sheriff get on this right away, but he wasted little time calling in the big guns.

They also immediately sealed off the house, which was a remarkable bit of foresight.

Every law enforcement agency is aware of stranger abductions, none more than the FBI. Their handling of this says that not only did they know that an abduction did not occur, but this was a homicide.

We knew they knew this within the first week, and it became clear shortly thereafter that Barry was the prime suspect (search warrants on house and job site).

We’re mere days away from knowing the answers to many of our questions, and the answers to questions we haven’t even thought of.

I can’t wait.
They pulled out all the big guns with Jamie Closs too, including the FBI, and she had to save herself!

I don't think that is a fair assessment of their response. LE was on this right away and seemed to know BM was involved immediately. Not only did they exclude him and his friends from early searches but they obtained some pretty substantial assistance from the FBI and convinced a judge to issue many search warrants including to dig up someone's freshly poured foundation.

I can't wait to find out what that was.
HMMM. Yes they did go after Barry right away.

We’re really lucky to have seen any of this via WebEx.

We never get to see preliminary hearings (virtually) in Colorado, and our only chance to see this one was if the judge didn’t allow people in the gallery.

As people are allowed to attend (70 plus, which is actually a large amount), there is no legal justification for the judge to also allow it to be broadcast.

That’s the law.
What law?

My position is if the LAWS (not the whims of judges) do limit access, those laws need to change. Living within them is untenable in an open society. JMHO

Last edited by a moderator:
They pulled out all the big guns with Jamie Closs too, including the FBI, and she had to save herself!
That’s because they were dealing with a ghost, who came and went without a trace; an all but unprecedented event.

Even after all the facts came out, there was nothing they could have done that would have resolved that case sooner (the FBI).

Besides that, there is absolutely no comparison between the two cases. In the Closs one, law enforcement knew she was abducted and handled it as such.

Here they knew Suzanne was not abducted, and they handled it very differently.

He's is definitely old school. Sunshine, judge, sunshine. There's more than 300 days of sunshine in CO except in the criminal courts. He will try to find a way to limit public access to the trial, too. The judge needs a remediation course in the constitutional rights of citizens and how denying those hurts the people he was appointed to serve. Just because he is the ultimate arbiter in this case doesn't mean he is right.

This is a decision for the state legislature given they made the decision many years ago not to allow expanded media coverage inside criminal courtrooms. Change the law and Judge Murphy (and others) will follow the law of the land.

Time for Colorado to join the new age. Anybody listening?

Last I recall, Colorado legislators wanted to follow the federal courts -- when US Courts change, they'd consider adopting the same.

Here's hoping the recent experience with virtual hearings will help change the policy for all courtrooms (state & federal) across the country. MOO

History of Cameras in Courts

Colorado courts catapulted online amid coronavirus pandemic

ETA: Those of us following Colorado cases long before Morphew may recall this rule for Colorado dates all the way back to 1955 and Canon 35.

Last edited:
Silence is golden, according to the CO criminal courts. If nothing else, this case should alert the citizens of that state to the egregious limitations to their presumptive rights that are ongoing in the 2nd decade of the 21st century.

"The Colorado Supreme Court has held that “criminal trials and pretrial proceedings should not be closed to media representatives unless an overriding and compelling state interest in closing the proceedings is demonstrated.” Star Journal Publ’g Corp. v. Cnty. Court, 591 P.2d 1028, 1030 (Colo. 1979). In Star Journal, the court held that a “judge may close a pretrial hearing only if (1) the dissemination of information would create a clear and present danger to the fairness of the trial; and (2) the prejudicial effect of such information on trial fairness cannot be avoided by any reasonable alternative means.” Id. The Court explained that “mere conjecture and allegations of prejudicial publicity” cannot justify an exclusion order. Id. The judge must “issue a written order setting forth specific factual findings in this regard.” Id.

Open Courts Compendium Colorado - Reporters Committee
The press made this argument for a Constitutional right to media access in the 2018 case of In re Colorado v. Sir Mario Owens. The Colorado Supreme Court didn't bite:

"... (W)e have never recognized any such constitutional right—whether under the First Amendment or Article II, section 10 of the Colorado Constitution. Petitioner’s near-exclusive reliance on this court’s opinion in Wingfield is misplaced. In Wingfield, we analyzed a statutory prohibition against the inspection of court records in pending cases by non-parties. See, 410 P.2d at 512. We concluded that while no “absolute right to examine” court records exists, inspection may be permitted “at the discretion of the court.” Id.at 513. Contrary to Petitioner’s assertion, this court did not hold in Wingfield that limiting access to court records violates the First Amendment. See, id. We decline to do so now in the absence of any indication from the nation’s high court that access to all criminal justice records is a constitutionally guaranteed right belonging to the public at large.

We also see no compelling reason to interpret our state constitution as guaranteeing such a sweeping—and previously unrecognized—right of unfettered access to criminal justice records. On the contrary, such a ruling would do violence to the comprehensive open records laws and administrative procedures currently in place—including, but not limited to, the Colorado Criminal Justice Records Act, §§24-72-301 to -309, C.R.S. (2017)—that are predicated upon the absence of a constitutionally guaranteed right of access to criminal justice records."

The media petitioned the SCOTUS for review of this decision. The petition was denied. There is no constitutional right of access.

I tend to agree with you that the laws should change to provide more access in this day and age, and I hope the new Rule 55.1 will facilitate a careful, experience-based evolution of the rules.

But advocates who suggest the law already provides for more access than Judge Murphy allowed in this case are misrepresenting the law. The CFOIC and its media clients folded their hand because they knew an appeal would not bring change.

@Seattle1 is right. Legislation is the fast way to change the law regarding access. Whether fast change in this area is wise change is a matter in dispute, so the legislature may take its time, too...

I don't know. None of us know. LE etc., never talked about it!
Watch enough investigations with the same organizations (CBI and FBI), and you learn how they operate.

What they do not do, is get on the ground and immediately assume a particular thing happened or did not happen.

If there were signs of an abduction, they would have followed their playbook. If there was strong evidence of something else, then that’s the track they would follow.

Barry must have screwed up massively.

Watch enough investigations with the same organizations (CBI and FBI), and you learn how they operate.

What they do not do, is get on the ground and immediately assume a particular thing happened or did not happen.

If there were signs of an abduction, they would have followed their playbook. If there was strong evidence of something else, then that’s the track they would follow.

Barry must have screwed up massively.
I'd say beginning with a riderless bicycle. Maybe a bicycle that was under repair or missing crucial parts. :eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member