Found Deceased CA - Philip Kreycik, 37, Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park, 10 Jul 2021 #2

. . .Sometimes, intuition and risk calculation can save your life. Sometimes not. But to err on the side of not fully experiencing the outdoors is not a reasonable alternative if you love it and need it to be whole as a person. . . .

Thank you. You said it much better than I, and I feel Philip would have agreed with us. I surfed for many years with many close calls, most of which were because of mistakes I made. Sometimes we live past our mistakes, and sometimes we don't. We can't make the wild earth safe enough to save us all all the time. But we can and should learn from others' mistakes.

…not when the ambient temperature is the same (or warmer!) than body temperature. Note that the study you cited was conducted in the fall.
No the study says the body can reach 45C. Thats 113F. It was really hot that day but it gets really cool at night. And its been cool ever since that day. So would have been an easy find at night, or any day after.
I will say it again, I don't understand why any of the thermal imaging (drones, planes and helicopters) didn't find Phil! Were they used correctly?

I will say it again, I don't understand why any of the thermal imaging (drones, planes and helicopters) didn't find Phil! Were they used correctly?
The Sheriff Department Sergeant said that if Phil were dead, the thermal imaging wouldn't work. He said the imaging had been so powerful, they had seen small animals and solitary searching volunteers. He said it does work through brush and foliage.

To me, where he was found is important to understanding his death, so thanks for this update. And knowing whether he ran in PR that day or not. Looking forward to seeing data from his smartwatch. Just seems so odd unless there was a severe injury or foul play. He was not where he was supposed to be. Why? MOO
Philip's masters degree was in urban planning and he could have skimmed the Land Use document for Pleasanton Ridge and headed north in the direction of the house that is the EBRPD security/maintenance in the north portion of the park to get help on purpose. Also he may have headed toward the Emergency Vehicle Access point in the north part of the park intentionally. He may also have thought Devany Canyon's entrance/exit had been opened. If you look at this short document, you can see why https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=28136 On p. 2 it says "NEW – Devany Canyon Walk-bike access – No vehicle parking" He was found really close to this.

One thought that I think is possible that he did not want to return via the "Lying Stump Shortcut Trail" that is found on Strava as well as some biking websites because he could have thought it was a really horrific and steep trail and wanted another way out. I can't reference some of the web comments that begin on the one that starts with an r but some people who retraced the route said that portion was horrible and it took 2 1/2 hours to do that route particularly because the first 2 miles was awful.

Philip stayed on the main Fire Road called the North Ridge trail until it seemed to just end at the top of the hill at 11025 Dublin Canyon Rd, the address where EBRPD has a residence called the Poole house where an EBRPD maintenance supervisor lives. It could be that he knew about the house since it appears in the Land Use documents and on purpose headed in the direction of the house.

…not when the ambient temperature is the same (or warmer!) than body temperature. Note that the study you cited was conducted in the fall.
It was 79F that night, and low 50F-high 70's the days after. So that refutes what you said about ambient being the same or warmer. That only applied the the alleged time he went missing, not when the thermal imaging searches were conducted. Do you agree?upload_2021-8-5_17-52-28.png

Philip's masters degree was in urban planning and he could have skimmed the Land Use document for Pleasanton Ridge and headed north in the direction of the house that is the EBRPD security/maintenance in the north portion of the park to get help on purpose. Also he may have headed toward the Emergency Vehicle Access point in the north part of the park intentionally. He may also have thought Devany Canyon's entrance/exit had been opened. If you look at this short document, you can see why https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=28136 On p. 2 it says "NEW – Devany Canyon Walk-bike access – No vehicle parking" He was found really close to this.

One thought that I think is possible that he did not want to return via the "Lying Stump Shortcut Trail" that is found on Strava as well as some biking websites because he could have thought it was a really horrific and steep trail and wanted another way out. I can't reference some of the web comments that begin on the one that starts with an r but some people who retraced the route said that portion was horrible and it took 2 1/2 hours to do that route particularly because the first 2 miles was awful.

Philip stayed on the main Fire Road called the North Ridge trail until it seemed to just end at the top of the hill at 11025 Dublin Canyon Rd, the address where EBRPD has a residence called the Poole house where an EBRPD maintenance supervisor lives. It could be that he knew about the house since it appears in the Land Use documents and on purpose headed in the direction of the house.

That's a really interesting theory. I can definitely see the MIT graduates I know studying maps in advance and committing certain details to memory. That is the kind of nerdy thing my friends do. So there may have been a method in his "madness." (I've really appreciated your deep dives into cartography, policy, and the fabric of the parkland. It really brings the situation into focus and makes it very particular. Thank you!)

If the google map location you have shown is accurate, then PK most likely was trying to return via the thick red arrow. This is not the gate used on the Strava 2019 route and the one which most hikers and runners use to access PR which is in the red oval. When PK was ascending he most likely made the mistake of coming up this route to the right of the Moller Ranch staging area (very easy to make this mistake), ran the loop, and then since he came up that route to the right he most likely felt he had to return by the same route not being familiar with the trail system and other options. CT/runspired reported that PK might have been walking up Mariposa Trail which indicates he was already in trouble trying to return. There are no gates and fences he couldn't have gotten over in normal circumstances. He was most likely disoriented and exhausted at that point on the descent from PR and couldn't go any further. EBPRD and the City of Pleasanton should work together on a plan to better manage this area for public access without any gates and with trail signs - this land belongs to the people. What I will remember from all this is what a wonderful and loving family and friends PK has like CT/runspired. PK was seeking to live not seeking to die. We are gifted by the Creator with free will and we are all accountable for our choices, but I feel so bad for all his family and friends especially his wife and children.
View attachment 307698n
The official staging areas in Pleasanton for Pleasanton Ridge are Castle Ridge (opened in 2018) and Foothill (in southern Pleasanton, been open for years), and there is a city managed park called Augustin Bernal with official trails that lead to Pleasanton Ridge trails.

The Moller Ranch and the Preserve staging areas are in HOAs on HOA land. The city of Pleasanton has a trails easement. Until this happened 3 1/2 weeks ago with the missing person alert, I had no idea people were using these trails to cut through property to access Pleasanton Ridge park. I see reviews about how to do it on the internet, but as a local, I had never heard people were using these staging areas to go up to Pleasanton Ridge.

I had never heard of the Lying Stump Shortcut Trail either. This has 30 or so photos of it and a map and I had never heard of this either. Tehan Falls via Lying Stump Shortcut Trail Some of the photos look steep with a very narrow trail. Some photos are completely under the cover of a heavy tree canopy.

Last edited:
The Sheriff Department Sergeant said that if Phil were dead, the thermal imaging wouldn't work. He said the imaging had been so powerful, they had seen small animals and solitary searching volunteers. He said it does work through brush and foliage.
That's not what the youtube video shows, the youtube video shows it does see through foilage (basically the spot under the tree would have been seen).
Please watch the youtube video, it shows it does indeed work. Maybe the sheriff's office here is using older technology, what a shame. Especially here in Silicon Valley.

It was 79F that night, and low 50F-high 70's the days after. So that refutes what you said about ambient being the same or warmer. That only applied the the alleged time he went missing, not when the thermal imaging searches were

I tried to find the quote from LE about thermal imaging being ineffective because of the heat but couldn’t find it. Perhaps they just didn’t search in the right places.

I tried to find the quote from LE about thermal imaging being ineffective because of the heat but couldn’t find it. Perhaps they just didn’t search in the right places.
Thank you for checking. At the very minimum in this tragedy, we should learn why Phil was never found in an area that the press called its search 'unprecedented', yet he was never found. And fix whatever went wrong to avoid repeating these in the future. Very upsetting.

The thermal imaging can see through trees, it would have no doubt picked up the body. But it didn't (?)
The first night Philip was missing, I saw on the internet this alert from the Pleasanton police. https://twitter.com/pleasantonpd/status/1414060621042233345?lang=en which came out at 8:14 PM. It is possible that thermal imaging was not deployed until later on, unfortunately perhaps after Philip may have passed away. The first night they seemed to be looking at the hills around Moller according to the twitter announcement. By Sunday it looks like the search expanded into Pleasanton Ridge. Maybe also the later planes were hyper focusing on the loop route rather than searching near the northern part of the park near Dublin Canyon Road.

I don't know how to do this, but some flight path internet sites post the paths of planes. I don't know if it is possible to see whether the search planes looped far enough North or not. At one point there was a press conference that they showed the SAR official search map toward the end. I am going to try to find it and see if I can tell whether they searched in the park bordering Dublin Canyon Road.

Last edited:
The official staging areas in Pleasanton for Pleasanton Ridge are Castle Ridge (opened in 2018) and Foothill (in southern Pleasanton, been open for years), and there is a city managed park called Augustin Bernal with official trails that lead to Pleasanton Ridge trails.

The Moller Ranch and the Preserve staging areas are in HOAs on HOA land. The city of Pleasanton has a trails easement. Until this happened 3 1/2 weeks ago with the missing person alert, I had no idea people were using these trails to cut through property to access Pleasanton Ridge park. I see reviews about how to do it on the internet, but as a local, I had never heard people were using these staging areas to go up to Pleasanton Ridge.
May I ask that you share where we can find the review on the internet? Thank you

Thank you. You said it much better than I, and I feel Philip would have agreed with us. I surfed for many years with many close calls, most of which were because of mistakes I made. Sometimes we live past our mistakes, and sometimes we don't. We can't make the wild earth safe enough to save us all all the time. But we can and should learn from others' mistakes.
Great point. But no phone, no water bottle, no GPS. I would have expected at minimum a water bottle, as does not conflict with this point.

May I ask that you share where we can find the review on the internet? Thank you
Tehan Falls via Lying Stump Shortcut Trail is one of them. There are others on biking sites as well. Also on the website that starts with r, people discuss walking this trail that participated in the various PK threads, but I don't think the moderators will allow me to link to it. I think I can only refer to the website that starts with r if it is the missing person who had posted the info.

If you PM me, I can maybe let you know some of the links. Basically the first 2 miles is very very steep and easy to get lost according to those who have been on this particular trail. I have never been on it, so I had no idea how bad it was.

Last edited:
Tehan Falls via Lying Stump Shortcut Trail is one of them. There are others on biking sites as well. Also on the website that starts with r, people discuss walking this trail that participated in the various PK threads, but I don't think the moderators will allow me to link to it.
Very interesting, thank you. So Pleasanton Ridge can be accessed by either the North or the East, right? Unofficially.

Very interesting, thank you. So Pleasanton Ridge can be accessed by either the North or the East, right? Unofficially.
I think there are EVMAs in all parts of the park and unofficial entrances/exits at many places including also from Kilkare Rd, Palomares Rd etc. spanning all the borders in all directions. https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=28135 outlines some of the existing ones, the planned ones (Garms, Devany) and ones they do not plan (Kilkare, Niles Canyon)....

This is what it says about Moller Ranch and the Preserve/Laurel Creek
"Could trail connections be provided between Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park and the Laurel Creek and Moller Ranch trail systems? These are public trails located on private homeowner’s association lands within the City limits of Pleasanton. The District would be interested in working with these homeowners and the City of Pleasanton to make this connection if these parties expressed an interest."

The emergency vehicles went to the site the searchers found either through EVMA 2 or 3 here https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?BlobID=23276 on pp. 101-103/325. The entrance is off of Blessing Dr. in the Preserve, passes a little into private property that is called Blessing Ranch (has been for sale for several years ( https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/9480-Blessing-Dr-Pleasanton-CA-94588/2119055139_zpid/?mmlb=g,0 ) but the EBRPD has an easement through it and the road goes into the EBRPD landbank area. I think the area where the press vans have been for some of their newscasts is shown in some of the Zillow photos, like photo 8 out of 30.

Last edited:
I tried to look through to see if this has already been talked about again, but with my job I can’t stay on top of all the posts so please forgive me I’d been asked already.

In the beginning phase of the search - people (volunteer searchers?) thought they heard someone yelling “help”. Having never been able to find the source they later came to the conclusion it was likely searchers yelling “Philip”. Do we have any knowledge as to if that sound was at all within range of where Philip was found? :(

Tehan Falls via Lying Stump Shortcut Trail is one of them. There are others on biking sites as well. Also on the website that starts with r, people discuss walking this trail that participated in the various PK threads, but I don't think the moderators will allow me to link to it. I think I can only refer to the website that starts with r if it is the missing person who had posted the info.

If you PM me, I can maybe let you know some of the links. Basically the first 2 miles is very very steep and easy to get lost according to those who have been on this particular trail. I have never been on it, so I had no idea how bad it was.
Why wouldn't Phil have just parked there instead?
I think there are EVMAs in all parts of the park and unofficial entrances/exits at many places including also from Kilkare Rd, Palomares Rd etc. spanning all the borders in all directions. https://www.ebparks.org/civicax/filebank/blobdload.aspx?blobid=28135 outlines some of the existing ones, the planned ones (Garms, Devany) and ones they do not plan (Kilkare, Niles Canyon)....

"Could trail connections be provided between Pleasanton Ridge Regional Park and the Laurel Creek and Moller Ranch trail systems? These are public trails located on private homeowner’s association lands within the City limits of Pleasanton. The District would be interested in working with these homeowners and the City of Pleasanton to make this connection if these parties expressed an interest."

Wow this is 10 years old. And they still don't seem to have the trails set up right, like its always something that's being "worked on". If I'm wrong, let me know. Thanks

If you create a route in Strava to Pleasanton Ridge trails from the Moller staging area, the Lying Stump Shortcut Trails is the only direct route it will show you. But I still wonder why he wouldn't have gone to the Castleridge staging area to take the Courdet Trail up. Strava shows it to be a much more popular run and it's only another mile or so south of Moller.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlternativeLuck
Back