GA - Katherine Janness, 40, walking dog, both fatally stabbed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thinking outside the box but could it be the runner got too close to the dog while running by him. The dog felt threatened and went after him pulling away from KJ. Maybe the runner had a knife for "protection" and cut the dog and killed him. Perhaps KJ was so distraught she went after the runner and he cut her too?

I feel there would have been alot of screaming and people would have heard something that close to the gate, though.

I have had a few instances of running by a leashed dog only to have them growl and snap. It was usually on a sidewalk and I would move over on the grass but they were still not happy. I cross the street now.

This doesn't explain why she was dis-figured though. Just a thought.

But that's why I'm curious if the dog was still wearing the leash.

Excuse my stupidity but I'm looking for some clarification on the family tracking apps like the one Emma used.. That information is only available in real time, right? As opposed to recording the person's route for later use possibly with details on time?
That would be too easy.

I'm not familiar with Apple or other systems, I've always been a google phone user but I do have a "your timeline" selection in my location services that, as long as someone has access to my phone, shows my tracked stops. This would def help establish the exact timelines in comparison to cameras and such and I like your thoughts on this.

One thing I would wager heavily on is that Bowie injured the killer. The adrenaline rush this person was on likely kept him or her functioning in the moment despite being injured, but I'm really hopeful those possible injuries will catch someone's attention.
. I agree, I also surmise that Bowie boi engaged the perp and was mortally wounded, I think he may have still been alive and crawled to the entrance where he expired which could explain the distance between them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Piquerism - Wikipedia

Thank you, Law and Order SVU.

This theory is interesting. People with piquerism can also be sexually aroused by penetrating the skins of animals, which in this case, could be the reason why Bowie was killed. Sometimes, people also try to penetrate their own skins. Jack The Ripper also had this fetish.
But to be really sure of it, since stabbing snd disfiguring someone doesn't always necessarily mean piquerism, we would have to take a look at the choice of weapons, how he stabbed them, and where he stabbed them. Crimes committed because of this fetish always has some unique signature characteristics to it. Targeted areas are usually the breasts, pelvis, and groin. Without any proof that the killing had any sort of sexual element to it, we can't really be sure.

Also, killers with a hedonistic motive usually prefer not to take risks, whereas this killer did. I'm still leaning more towards power-oriented. This wasn't someone who was sexually sadistic, he targeted her face. If he was, he would've targeted her sexual organs

Envisioning that the first contact came from behind and to the neck of Katie, she staggered off and the altercation ensued with Brodie, then the loser refocused with time to disfigure our girl. This would not require a great span of time for someone who had forethought this nasty deed.

"I ran over to her (Katie) and put my hands on her face and I checked for a pulse but you could tell that she was not alive — there was a lot of blood and she had her neck slashed, so it was very clear.''
Snipped for focus:

This might just be my own personal perception and want for the less grotesque, but this quote does not sound like the description of someone finding somebody with their face mutilated, as many have talked about. Jmo

I went fishing last night in San Diego Bay. According to Mr. coastal, fishing is best 2 hours before moonrise to 2 hours past moonset (and I caught a sea bass!). I mention this because of the filet knife I grabbed from the bottom of the tackle box/bag, when looking for the flashlight. Yikes. It made me think that besides chefs, fishermen (and women) also carry very sharp knives. So I googled Piedmont Park:

..The lake is located in the south east part of the park. Fishing is permitted in the lake, which is stocked with large mouth bass, crappie, bream, and catfish. A 2002 renovation of the lake added a new bridge connecting the two bodies of water and three fishing piers located around the lake...

..Clara Meer Dock is located at the west corner of the lake. Just above the Dock sits the historic Visitor Center building. Clara Meer Dock forms an amphitheater-like space nestled into the western end of the lake...

God bless the victims of this terrible crime.

Snipped for focus:

This might just be my own personal perception and want for the less grotesque, but this quote does not sound like the description of someone finding somebody with their face mutilated, as many have talked about. Jmo
I think the audio of the 911 call points more to facial/disfigurement than this transcript reflects.

I think the audio of the 911 call points more to facial/disfigurement than this transcript reflects.
I listened to the 911 call when it was released (unless what I heard was an edited version). The shock we hear from the bystander, and the gf's description, did not necessarily point to any specific wounds, I didn't think. We hear her say "she's like dead, dead," and here she says there was a lot of blood and her neck was slashed, so it was clear she was dead. Of course, none of this speaks to injuries elsewhere on the body, but there's nothing that jumps out at me as face specific. I could be wrong, and maybe I haven't heard it all?

This is probably beyond stupid to ask, as I'm sure it's easy enough for an expert in this kind of thing to tell the difference, but they are sure it wasn't an animal attack, right? I know there was a girl a few towns over who was mauled by pitbulls on a walk last year and her injuries were beyond horrific. She survived, but barely. They went for her face/neck/head. I guess I'm grasping at straws for any explanation that is less horrible than the idea of a person being capable of this heinousness. (Edited to add: I'm not suggesting that Bowie could have attacked Katie, but that a stray dog or even a coyote could have crossed paths with them.)

Is 10 days long enough to have some dna test results and compare them to dna in LE databases?

IF the case tests positive for bodily fluids and other evidence, it would usually take longer or somewhere around that. 30 days at most. Depends on the lab and on the case. Homicides are usually prioritized and take longer.

I listened to the 911 call when it was released (unless what I heard was an edited version). The shock we hear from the bystander, and the gf's description, did not necessarily point to any specific wounds, I didn't think. We hear her say "she's like dead, dead," and here she says there was a lot of blood and her neck was slashed, so it was clear she was dead. Of course, none of this speaks to injuries elsewhere on the body, but there's nothing that jumps out at me as face specific. I could be wrong, and maybe I haven't heard it all?

I think you heard the unedited version. I think what I'm getting from the call is that part where she's talking to the bystander: I can't quite remember her words but the gist I got was equal parts shock, grief and also disgust...terror in there too... something about "that's my f* girlfriend," which I intuited to mean Katie was almost unrecognizable as a human and yet that's her love lying there. She says something about mistaking Bowie for a bag of trash. It's subtext for me.

This is probably beyond stupid to ask, as I'm sure it's easy enough for an expert in this kind of thing to tell the difference, but they are sure it wasn't an animal attack, right? I know there was a girl a few towns over who was mauled by pitbulls on a walk last year and her injuries were beyond horrific. She survived, but barely. They went for her face/neck/head. I guess I'm grasping at straws for any explanation that is less horrible than the idea of a person being capable of this heinousness. (Edited to add: I'm not suggesting that Bowie could have attacked Katie, but that a stray dog or even a coyote could have crossed paths with them.)
The DA stated that charges would include malice murder and aggravated assault. I don’t think it was an animal attack.

I think an animal attack would leave lots of hair and dna, so even if the wounds didn't speak for themselves, the forensic evidence would. That being said, the fact that a dog (a pitbull, no less) was murdered, as well, feels significant to the story, imo.

I think you heard the unedited version. I think what I'm getting from the call is that part where she's talking to the bystander: I can't quite remember her words but the gist I got was equal parts shock, grief and also disgust...terror in there too... something about "that's my f* girlfriend," which I intuited to mean Katie was almost unrecognizable as a human and yet that's her love lying there. She says something about mistaking Bowie for a bag of trash. It's subtext for me.
To support what you're saying, I do think the gf's father spoke about them not getting to view the body because of what had been done to her...

Snipped for focus:

No, it doesn't. Although I'm glad to read that full quote. I had only seen the first half in other sources and the full quote confirms her throat being cut as a possible COD.

I think folks are getting the damage to her face and mutilation from the use of the words "disfigured" (which implies facial injury making it difficult to recognize or identify someone) and "mutilated" from sources like the following:

Clark says she left her home and began driving around familiar routes that she thought Janness would take. She says she then went to the park and made the gruesome discovery that Janness had been mutilated and their dog killed as well.
EXCLUSIVE: Partner of woman killed in Piedmont Park speaks about victim's final moments

This past Wednesday at 1 a.m. in Piedmont Park the bodies of Katherine Janness, 40, and her dog Bowie were found. Janness had been stabbed multiple times, her face disfigured in the attack.
Lesbian & her dog stabbed to death during gruesome attack in city park

Janness, a local bartender, had been stabbed multiple times, leaving her badly disfigured.
Fulton DA urges people not to go into Piedmont Park alone at night

Oh, @Quell. That's the best description of the emotion of that call. And I'm crying again. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hannahdunnam