Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #66 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Me too. It gives the jury more information to make a decision when the time comes.

I also like it because it gives insight into what they are thinking, and which way the wind is blowing.

I admit I was relieved to read that the judge first reviews the questions posited by the jury, and gives either side the opportunity to object to any question where the judge can: (1) modify the question, (2) not modify the question or (3) refuse to ask the question.

https://www.criminal-lawyer-colorad...-trials-jury-questions-change-everything.html

Yes, I’m sure there are going to be lots of distinctions like that. The defense may be able to poke holes here and there, but they may be in regard to things that don’t even matter.

Defense: “See, their marriage was happy.”

Prosecution: “Here’s a photo of Barry buying supplies to clean up the crime scene.”
Yes, exactly. And like in the Tibbetts and Redwine trial, they willl keep pointing to other potentials perpetrators. Like any local RSOs, any random males she had come in contact with, and/or any cougar sightings in the area.

I know that in the recent criminal trial of Mark Redwine, the jurors were allowed to ask questions of the witnesses. However, I don't know if it's statutory or if it depends on the trial judge.

In 2005 (voting 5-1) the Colorado Supreme Court ruled that jurors may submit questions to witnesses during criminal trials, saying the practice does not automatically harm the defendant’s right to a fair trial.

Colorado Supreme Court rules jurors may question witnesses

ETA: add answer - it's mandatory!

As of December of 2015, Colorado is only 1 of 3 states that mandates that juries be allowed to ask questions. Six states prohibit the practice and several others give trial judges permission to permit or deny the practice of asking questions.

It is mandatory that jurors are allowed to submit questions. But sometimes the judge will not allow some of the submitted questions to be answered.

One of my favourite questions was asked of a defense expert in wildlife. Mark Redwine's defense team was trying to rebut the state's assertion that there were no bears around in late November to grab poor Dylan. They were all hibernating already.

But the defense got this wildlife expert to try and say that even though 98% are in hibernation, it's not unheard of that a random straggler may have been wandering around the forest and could have conceivably attacked the boy...During cross, the poor guy was torn apart and had to admit it was highly improbable and he had never seen it himself...

As he was finally ready to be excused, a juror asked " What were you thinking when you agreed to take this case?'

The judge wouldn't let him answer but I am sure the defense team was not happy with that question.

BM complaining about being watched all the time and having all his mail read.
I don't recall hearing a complaint like that before.
It's a bit tenderfoot for such an aggressive guy.

I'm going to guess Suzanne didn't like it either.

At least the controller is getting a feel for how fun it is to be controlled.

Party on, Barry.

JMO

I admit I was relieved to read that the judge first reviews the questions posited by the jury, and gives either side the opportunity to object to any question where the judge can: (1) modify the question, (2) not modify the question or (3) refuse to ask the question.

https://www.criminal-lawyer-colorad...-trials-jury-questions-change-everything.html
Yes, during the Redwine trial, when a juror asked a question, the Judge at times refused to have the question answered. However, each question was read out loud. The cat was out of the bag.

One could really begin to sense the thinking of the jury just with a question they wanted answered.

BM complaining about being watched all the time and having all his mail read.
I don't recall hearing a complaint like that before.
It's a bit tenderfoot for such an aggressive guy.
If it were any other way in jail...Barry would be getting preferential treatment...surely his lawyers aren't suggesting he should have it....right?

Any guesses about which individuals close to Barry in Salida might be called as prosecution witnesses?
I watched every single courtroom day of the OJ Simpson trial, and I saw what a high powered defense team can do. I was impressed by Barry Scheck, and I watched him brilliantly muddy the waters of the evidence. I think a lot of the trial isn’t going to be about what Barry did or did not do. It’s going to be about motions, suppression of evidence, pointing out every mistake of law enforcement, and searching for any misstep that can legally pave the way to get their client off.
Yeah...I watched plenty of the OJ trial too...One thing the defense couldn't explain was how Ron Goldman and Nicole Simpson's blood ended up on OJ's socks. Brilliant as they may have been....it was a runaway jury in OJ's corner. That won't happen in Salida.

States really vary in the way that the jury participates. Can jurors take notes in CO?
They are not permitted to in my state. On one hand, I don’t like it because I feel like note taking is a great guide to go back to during deliberation. The court’s position is that a juror’s notes could incorrectly influence a person’s thought process and sway another juror (my interpretation), and we have to request testimony be read back if we need to review.

This is likely a dumb question but I hope someone will give me an answer. Since Barry is allowed email, is he also allowed to read internet websites, such as Websleuths? If so, surely he realizes people aren’t buying his story.

This is likely a dumb question but I hope someone will give me an answer. Since Barry is allowed email, is he also allowed to read internet websites, such as Websleuths? If so, surely he realizes people aren’t buying his story.

I don’t 100% know the answer to that question but I doubt he is given internet access. It’s most likely just email for communication.

I did a little experiment in my head last night related to Suzanne's BFF being the star witness... I, like Suzanne, have an out of state BFF, so I tried to use my experience to see how much info I think SO might have in regards to SM & BM's everyday life. Based purely on the way my BFF and I talk and text and when possible, interact in person, I would say SO is much more aware of who Suzanne is and was than Barry could have ever hoped to be. I am in a good marriage where we have an equal partnership, but my BFF still knows every single time my husband so much as irritates me, even if my husband is not aware that he irritated me. She knows literally everything about me. Female BFFs are gifts from God. I don't have to hide anything from my husband, but we don't have the DEEP conversations that her and I do. She knows the intricacies of my feelings, thoughts, and dreams that my husband just has the base level of. It's not that he doesn't care, but he can't relate to much of it the way another female can. I have a feeling that what Suzanne shared with Melinda will be very eye-opening, but I would bet 2 homicide lasagnas that SO has ALL the information that BM doesn't want anyone to know and that her testimony will be even more compelling than that text from SM to MM. SO is the person that is truly going to help us get to know Suzanne. I'm sad for her though. In my experiment, I wondered what it would feel like to be her on the stand at a murder trial where my BFF was the victim... I think her testimony will be insightful, but gut-wrenching. I hope when a jury is picked that it ends up being primarily women and women that have a soul-sister BFF cuz they will "get" SM & SOs bond. We don't lie to or sugarcoat anything with our BFFs. It is a raw, unfiltered relationship like no other. I am sending prayers of strength and healing to SO.

JMO

I did a little experiment in my head last night related to Suzanne's BFF being the star witness... I, like Suzanne, have an out of state BFF, so I tried to use my experience to see how much info I think SO might have in regards to SM & BM's everyday life. Based purely on the way my BFF and I talk and text and when possible, interact in person, I would say SO is much more aware of who Suzanne is and was than Barry could have ever hoped to be. I am in a good marriage where we have an equal partnership, but my BFF still knows every single time my husband so much as irritates me, even if my husband is not aware that he irritated me. She knows literally everything about me. Female BFFs are gifts from God. I don't have to hide anything from my husband, but we don't have the DEEP conversations that her and I do. She knows the intricacies of my feelings, thoughts, and dreams that my husband just has the base level of. It's not that he doesn't care, but he can't relate to much of it the way another female can. I have a feeling that what Suzanne shared with Melinda will be very eye-opening, but I would bet 2 homicide lasagnas that SO has ALL the information that BM doesn't want anyone to know and that her testimony will be even more compelling than that text from SM to MM. SO is the person that is truly going to help us get to know Suzanne. I'm sad for her though. In my experiment, I wondered what it would feel like to be her on the stand at a murder trial where my BFF was the victim... I think her testimony will be insightful, but gut-wrenching. I hope when a jury is picked that it ends up being primarily women and women that have a soul-sister BFF cuz they will "get" SM & SOs bond. We don't lie to or sugarcoat anything with our BFFs. It is a raw, unfiltered relationship like no other. I am sending prayers of strength and healing to SO.

JMO
My goal tonight is to rewatch the video that was made for Suzanne’s birthday this year. It’s lovely, and shows their relationship. I appreciated the video so much at the time, and more so now on the eve of her speaking Suzanne’s truth

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member