Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #66 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
The paragraph starts by talking about the distance (Moormans in Indiana). I think it is worded like that as the distance part is not the case for the daughters (they reside in the area).

That being said, I do believe the daughters are way more aware of contents of the affidavit than Suzanne’s side.

As I'm sure we all suspect, there's some seriously damning information in that AA. Stuff I honestly don't think Barry wants anyone to know, let alone his daughters. So, that being said, do you suppose it was dear old dad himself that gave the girls info as to the contents? I suppose if I were in his shoes I would, but prefaced with the old "this is all a lie, but this is what they're saying I did".

Do preliminary hearings follow the same order as a trial? Opening arguments, testimony, rebuttals, closing statements? Does the judge immediately decide at the conclusion if there is sufficient evidence for a trial? Or are there a certain number of days after the preliminary hearing when he must submit his decision?

Do preliminary hearings follow the same order as a trial? Opening arguments, testimony, rebuttals, closing statements? Does the judge immediately decide at the conclusion if there is sufficient evidence for a trial? Or are there a certain number of days after the preliminary hearing when he must submit his decision?
Using the Frazee preliminary as a guide, the prosecution will jump right into it. They’ll likely call an investigator to the stand, who will begin laying the groundwork for the case via prosecution questioning.

The prosecution and defense will go back and forth, with direct and cross examination.

At the conclusion of that one, which was one day, the judge immediately found that there was probable cause to justify the charges, and ordered the defendant held without bond.

I expect the same here.

As I'm sure we all suspect, there's some seriously damning information in that AA. Stuff I honestly don't think Barry wants anyone to know, let alone his daughters. So, that being said, do you suppose it was dear old dad himself that gave the girls info as to the contents? I suppose if I were in his shoes I would, but prefaced with the old "this is all a lie, but this is what they're saying I did".

I agree. I'm sure it's what they've been hearing from dad most of their lives-- blame, distance, and distract:

Girls, let me tell you what happened. I was far away in Denver when mom disappeared. My lawyers can prove it. Sheriff Spezze is a jerk... you know he's never liked me. He's always been jealous of our family. These Salida idiots messed up from the beginning! They contaminated the bike accident scene and they've been trying to pin this on me ever since. Why do you think they wouldn't let the firefighters help search for mom? They didn't want anybody to know that they planted evidence to destroy me! Everything is a lie. When this is all over, I'm going to sue them for wrongful arrest....and we'll move to Canada and start over, I'll buy us a bigger house... I promise!

MOO

Using the Frazee preliminary as a guide, the prosecution will jump right into it. They’ll likely call an investigator to the stand, who will begin laying the groundwork for the case via prosecution questioning.

The prosecution and defense will go back and forth, with direct and cross examination.

At the conclusion of that one, which was one day, the judge immediately found that there was probable cause to justify the charges, and ordered the defendant held without bond.

I expect the same here.

Agree. For Frazee's preliminary hearing, the prosecutor relied on only two witnesses from law enforcement to tell the court what happened at Kelsey's condo and how Frazee and KK worked together to get rid of the body and clean up the crime scene. The officers also told the court what Kelsey's mom told them and also what KK told them. The trial witnesses did not appear at the prelim but instead, the officers told the court their story for them because hearsay is allowed at the preliminary.

It's very seldom that a trial witness would appear at the preliminary where they'd be subject to being cross-examined by the defense attorney. The judge can rely on the sworn testimony of the investigators to find probable cause to believe the defendant committed a felony and be bound over for trial.

I agree. I'm sure it's what they've been hearing from dad most of their lives-- blame, distance, and distract:

Girls, let me tell you what happened. I was far away in Denver when mom disappeared. My lawyers can prove it. Sheriff Spezze is a jerk... you know he's never liked me. He's always been jealous of our family. These Salida idiots messed up from the beginning! They contaminated the bike accident scene and they've been trying to pin this on me ever since. Why do you think they wouldn't let the firefighters help search for mom? They didn't want anybody to know that they planted evidence to destroy me! Everything is a lie. When this is all over, I'm going to sue them for wrongful arrest....and we'll move to Canada and start over, I'll buy us a bigger house... I promise!

MOO

I assure you, we don't want him up here.

Kidding aside, I think that's likely pretty bang on.
Ugh, I even read that with his angry voice in my head.

Frazee had no morals. He wasn't even married to Kelsey. Dulos was let out on bail!
Dulos was entitled to bail because of the laws in the state of Connecticut. Had that occurred in Colorado, he would have been held without bail until at least the preliminary, and almost certainly would have been denied bond after that hearing.

Agree. For Frazee's preliminary hearing, the prosecutor relied on only two witnesses from law enforcement to tell the court what happened at Kelsey's condo and how Frazee and KK worked together to get rid of the body and clean up the crime scene. The officers also told the court what Kelsey's mom told them and also what KK told them. The trial witnesses did not appear at the prelim but instead, the officers told the court their story for them because hearsay is allowed at the preliminary.

It's very seldom that a trial witness would appear at the preliminary where they'd be subject to being cross-examined by the defense attorney. The judge can rely on the sworn testimony of the investigators to find probable cause to believe the defendant committed a felony and be bound over for trial.
Just making sure I understand correctly. So the 8-9 witnesses slated for tomorrow, will likely be various LE officers from different agencies? In other words, it would be highly unlikely SO (for example) will testify?

Sorry to ask questions which have already been asked, I'm playing catch-up on all this. Also, if only two witnesses appeared in the KB case, what's the difference in this case?

I have an alarm set. My partner thinks I have issues. I try to explain that there’s a whole lot of us out there, who have been anticipating this day for well over a year. Partner thinks I’m crazy.

Yes, to the uninitiated (including my own DH), we surely appear obsessed. However, in our defense (ha!), we have been waiting for over a year to find out why our suspect immediately became suspect.

It's felt like the world's longest poker game - and it's time to see the cards.

Just making sure I understand correctly. So the 8-9 witnesses slated for tomorrow, will likely be various LE officers from different agencies? In other words, it would be highly unlikely SO (for example) will testify?

Sorry to ask questions which have already been asked, I'm playing catch-up on all this. Also, if only two witnesses appeared in the KB case, what's the difference in this case?
There will likely only be a couple witnesses tomorrow, as there are still 3 more days after that.

SO is incredibly unlikely to testify, and her testimony is likely to be introduced by an investigator.

The difference here is twofold:

Berreth case had a material witness, which lessened the need to go overboard with the evidence.

This investigation took place over one year, as opposed to one month.

There will likely only be a couple witnesses tomorrow, as there are still 3 more days after that.

SO is incredibly unlikely to testify, and her testimony is likely to be introduced by an investigator.

The difference here is twofold:

Berreth case had a material witness, which lessened the need to go overboard with the evidence.

This investigation took place over one year, as opposed to one month.
Perfect, thanks for the explanation! Look forward to learning if some of the things we guessed about early on, prove out. Particularly what BM did while in Broomfield, hoping for video.

I would think SO will not testify. Instead, she gave a sworn statement to an officer or officers (probably plural).

That statement can be read or summarized by the person to whom it was sworn or by a lead investigator. In that manner, one LE witness can give evidence from various witnesses or crime scenes. It sure sounds like the DA has reorganized from 18 witnesses to 8, but I bet the sheer amount of information will still be comparable, it's just more efficient this way.

In this way, the DA can ask the LE witness to simply say how the story began, what brought the situation to LE's attention, what happened next, who called them, and so on - and why they decided the house was a crime scene. I suspect that they have two people working on the physical evidence as lead people (perhaps one CBI, one FBI), and each will summarize what their whole team found.

We will certainly begin hearing actual names of the various participants, though - the people who in fact may be called as witnesses for trial. I think SO, CC and GD (and maybe GD's spouse) will be mentioned, along with MM (the sister), and the two daughters. Seems that something said by MG is going to be in there.

It just occurred to me why Barry put the bike there. He knew there would be a welfare check, but he didn't want them going inside the house, so he led the neighbor to find that Suzanne's bike was gone and then to find Suzanne's bike (the neighbor walked around after seeing that Suzanne's bike was gone - presumably the neighbor had a way to open the garage door, perhaps it was never locked).

But did the original responding officer enter the house anyway, as is common on a welfare check, especially when a person could have been injured in a bike accident or even had a medical emergency causing the bike accident...and then gone home?

I bet the daughters gave permission to enter the house. Barry avoids talking directly to LE on the phone (for the most part). Was there a key hidden somewhere that the officer could use? Do officers carry equipment to jimmy doors on welfare checks? At any rate, I am sure someone called for a welfare check and someone in the family gave permission to enter.

So, when the officer entered the house...was he immediately overwhelmed by the smell of bleach?

Barry wouldn't be home for another 3 hours.

I wonder when that first search warrant was issued.

I have an alarm set. My partner thinks I have issues. I try to explain that there’s a whole lot of us out there, who have been anticipating this day for well over a year. Partner thinks I’m crazy.

You are not alone, my hubby just doesn't get it;). All I can say, those who do not understand, are missing out!:D JMHO

Last edited:
Perfect, thanks for the explanation! Look forward to learning if some of the things we guessed about early on, prove out. Particularly what BM did while in Broomfield, hoping for video.

You can be CERTAIN there'll be parking lot video! Barry blustered bigly that he did nothing wrong there, there's cameras everywhere.

Which tells me two things:
He probably did do something wrong. And he was unaware of any cameras. Until LE likely showed him some nice clear video....

Whatcha doin', Barry?

If I had to guess where he parked, I'll wager THREE homicidal lasagnas and a LWOP cannoli that he parked AWAY from obvious cameras... but forgot about nearby businesses.

His room key will fill in the blanks.

Besides all that. I think the Prosecution knows what he did with his wife. And that's precisely why they can't find her.

JMO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members