Coronavirus COVID-19 - Global Health Pandemic #98

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have long covid and my heart is with the children who have it or even covid. It is miserable.

I was one of the first covid cases in my area and have no idea where I contracted it. I didn't go to the doctor right away and had to sleep in my easy chair because I couldn't breathe well enough lying down. After 2 days of not being able to breathe well enough I finally called an ambulance. I can't begin to tell you how great it was to have oxygen in the ambulance and at the hospital. I live alone and knew I had to have some help.

I was one of the lucky ones in that I didn't have to have a ventilator but did have oxygen and the breathing exercises.

I'd asked my doctor if I should have the vaccine and he assured me I should because they did not know how long the antibodies from having had covid would last. I did have both shots. First one in March and the second one in April.

My problem is that I just can't seem to get back to normal. My symptoms come and go. I first went to my doctor in Jan. after already having been sicker than I have ever been. Serology testing showed I had antibodies and had covid recently prior to the testing.

My sense of taste and smell are still gone. I get light headed at times but wouldn't call it being dizzy. I stay fatigued most of the time and still can't walk even a block. I've had to have someone do the heavy cleaning for me.

I did not have a life threatening case of covid but it was serious enough and with lasting repercussions. To not get the vaccinations and risk your life is just crazy. I understand we can still get covid again or it's variants. I urge everyone to be very, very careful. I was lucky but you might not be.

The population is getting mixed messages. Sadly, a whole lot more deaths will come as a result.

'They can't arrest all of us': Rand Paul calls for defiance against COVID-19 restrictions

This. From the man who was supposed to quarantine after a Covid test, and instead, went to work out, exposing every one to Covid?!

Sen. Rand Paul: Why I didn’t quarantine after getting tested

His continued denials are infuriating. For whatever reason, he had a Covid test, following protocols, he should have quarantined until he received the results of his test. Why did he have a test, if he was not going to follow the CDC rules?

I wouldn't be taking any medical care advice from Senator Rand Paul. He has lost credibility in all matters medical as far as I am concerned.

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis threatens salaries of superintendents, school board if schools require masks

Gov. DeSantis' spokeswoman issued the following response statement on behalf of the governor:

"With respect to enforcing any financial consequences for non-compliance of state law regarding these rules and ultimately the rights of parents to make decisions about their children's education and health care decisions, it would be the goal of the State Board of Education to narrowly tailor any financial consequences to the offense committed.

For example, the State Board of Education could move to withhold the salary of the district superintendent or school board members, as a narrowly tailored means to address the decision-makers who led to the violation of law.

Education funding is intended to benefit students first and foremost, not systems. The Governor’s priorities are protecting parents’ rights and ensuring that every student has access to a high-quality education that meets their unique needs."

Last edited:
COVID cases soaring as Florida schools reopen

In most counties, cases are at least four times higher than a year ago, a USA TODAY Network analysis of Johns Hopkins University data shows. Five counties report a more than tenfold increase.

Cases among children are surging too, raising questions about the health consequences of students returning to campuses and a state ban on school mask mandates while vaccines are available for only some of the schoolchildren.

Over the seven days prior to last Friday's state report, Florida saw 13,596 cases among children under 12, and 13,858 cases among ages 12 to 19.

In the corresponding report a year ago, Florida reported 2,396 cases under age 12 and 3,596 cases among ages 12 to 19.

In five counties — Indian River, Liberty, Sarasota, St. Johns and Pasco — new weekly case counts are more than 10 times higher than they were before the start of the last school year.

Florida Governor Ron DeSantis threatens salaries of superintendents, school board if schools require masks

Gov. DeSantis' spokeswoman issued the following response statement on behalf of the governor:

"With respect to enforcing any financial consequences for non-compliance of state law regarding these rules and ultimately the rights of parents to make decisions about their children's education and health care decisions, it would be the goal of the State Board of Education to narrowly tailor any financial consequences to the offense committed.

For example, the State Board of Education could move to withhold the salary of the district superintendent or school board members, as a narrowly tailored means to address the decision-makers who led to the violation of law.

Education funding is intended to benefit students first and foremost, not systems. The Governor’s priorities are protecting parents’ rights and ensuring that every student has access to a high-quality education that meets their unique needs."

I thought the idea was to allow local boards, stores, and counties to set their requirements. I don't think what DeSantis is doing is constitutional. JMOO

Ambulances wait outside hospitals in Florida as COVID infections spread

COVID-19 cases have filled so many Florida hospital beds that ambulance services and fire departments are straining to respond to emergencies.

In St. Petersburg, some patients wait inside ambulances for up to an hour before hospitals can admit them — a process that usually takes about 15 minutes

Ron DeSantis Announces Plan to Basically Ensure Florida Schoolchildren Get COVID

Quick: You’re the governor of a state where COVID-19 is literally out of control, reportedly accounting for about 20% of all new infections in the country. As one doctor recently explained, if your state was a country, the U.S. would probably impose a travel ban on people visiting from it.

Not only are things really, really bad across the board, but when it comes to children, your state currently holds the record for the most young people admitted to the hospital in the past week.

Do you (a) start taking this thing seriously, by imposing public health measures known to stop the spread of the virus (b) think of the children, and follow other states in requiring masks in the fall or (c) at the very least allow individual schools to make their own decisions on the issue of masks, including letting them decide they’re necessary? If you’re Florida governor Ron DeSantis, the answer is a resounding “none of the above” and an added note to “screw the kids.”

Rashida Tlaib spotted dancing maskless at large indoor gathering in CDC 'orange' zone

Rep. Rashida Tlaib danced maskless next to members of a large indoor crowd during a wedding in a county where the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention guidance calls for indoor masking.

Dearborn is located in Wayne County, which is currently rated as an orange zone by the CDC. Orange indicates a county with "substantial" COVID-19 transmission, one of two risk categories the CDC guidelines call for indoor masking for people regardless of their vaccination status.

Savannah GA:
My nephew's K-12 private school started school August 4. He didn't start then, as everyone in his unvaccinated family tested positive the day before. The school closed yesterday because too many teachers have COVID.

My mother's assisted living facility has COVID positive residents, right now. My mother doesn't know if they are vaccinated, but she is. A resident was sent to the hospital for something unrelated last Wednesday and tested positive, but the facility did not begin quarantining close contacts until yesterday because they only had confirmation from the spouse and not the hospital.

Northwest Florida:
School started today. It's terrifying. Everybody knows that Florida is in bad shape, but since early June, it's impossible to find up-to-date daily numbers on new cases and deaths by county, so we aren't really sure just how bad it is here, as opposed to larger cities. My immediate family is vaccinated but my grandchildren are not.

This is just monstrous.

Savannah GA:
My nephew's K-12 private school started school August 4. He didn't start then, as everyone in his unvaccinated family tested positive the day before. The school closed yesterday because too many teachers have COVID.

My mother's assisted living facility has COVID positive residents, right now. My mother doesn't know if they are vaccinated, but she is. A resident was sent to the hospital for something unrelated last Wednesday and tested positive, but the facility did not begin quarantining close contacts until yesterday because they only had confirmation from the spouse and not the hospital.

Northwest Florida:
School started today. It's terrifying. Everybody knows that Florida is in bad shape, but since early June, it's impossible to find up-to-date daily numbers on new cases and deaths by county, so we aren't really sure just how bad it is here, as opposed to larger cities. My immediate family is vaccinated but my grandchildren are not.

OMG Knitty, I'm sorry, what an awful situation!

Over 200k cases and 1k deaths on a couple of days recently. Wondering why this isn’t showing up on other sites eg Worldometers
Hi Cags. Exactly. I had mentioned my confusion about the discrepancy before.

So Florida it seems had three record breaking days, highest numbers since the beginning of the pandemic.

Kids and the potential of long covid is a concern. Dr. Osterholm has said this on his podcast. I think Dr. Kavita Patel was also talking about this - we don’t fully know the extent of the long term effects on some children who acquire covid.

I’m seeing on the news that doctors are reporting some kids hospitalized who were perfectly healthy before.

If I remember correctly, jmo, I heard on a podcast that up to 20% of kids are reporting long haul covid effects, moo. There are varying reports out there. This is obviously a dynamic situation and we are learning more as the data comes out.

Also, I saw a comparison on the news between flu deaths and covid deaths - covid deaths were much higher, jmo.

Eta: This doctor says half of the children (at his hospital) are under the age of two:

Eta2:
97,000 children reportedly test positive for coronavirus in two weeks as schools gear up for instruction
Aug. 10, 2021

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members