Mexico - Arlington TX Firefighter Elijah Snow, wed anniversary found dead at Cancun resort, Jul 2021

This article says his body was flown back to Texas..

https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/arlington/article252991218.html

But despite the headline, it links to this article:

Elijah Snow’s body was returned on a flight to Dallas-Fort Worth Airport on Friday, according to KXAS-TV.

Which says, "Meanwhile, Snow’s remains were returned to North Texas Friday on an American Airlines flight from Cancun."

So, not completely clear..

Thanks for that! Reading back, the original source of cremation appears to be from a Daily Mail report. But as it’s nowhere to be found now I think it’s must’ve been edited, aside from taking into account the well-known low reliability factor of DM news reporting.

To be fair, I could only find this Daily Mail article to support the claim he has been cremated in Mexico > Elijah Snow's family share autopsy photos, revealing heavy bruising to firefighter's body | Daily Mail Online

"Oujesky flew into Cancun on Wednesday, when they were finally allowed to see the body at a local funeral home. 'There was a lot of bruising on him that we didn't believe was consistent with him trying to climb through that window,' he said.

He said Jamie decided to have the body cremated, saying that's what her husband had wanted. They discussed transporting the body back to Texas for an independent autopsy. But authorities said that would delay the release another week.

'We were trying to get out of Mexico,' Oujesky noted, though he now is second-guessing that decision."

Quoted from the Washington Times article ( if you search warning; explicit pics)

"He said Jamie decided to have the body cremated, saying that’s what her husband had wanted. "

Also, his obituary does not mention interment at a cemetery which is not required with cremains.

Source of Photos? Autopsy Report?
"An attorney in Mexico obtained information and photos for the family, he said, leading them to believe Snow was beaten and possibly suffocated." * bbm

That sentence does not explicitly say the pix were pathologist's/medical examiner's photos taken at autopsy and obtained thru official channels (maybe says it elsewhere?) Is that suggested?

{{ ETA (from MistyWaters post )TYVM:): "…….Snow’s stepfather David Oujesky took the pictures of the deceased at a Cancun funeral home, which showed his legs, back, and forehead covered in bruises.”
Elijah Snow's family shares post mortem photos with heavy bruising, cuts on firefighter's body

Daily Mail article says w copyright mark "Provided to Daily Mail.com"

If official pix, does it seem they were released quickly. Was autopsy report released, to family or to public?

Or am I confused :confused:on date of Snow's arrival & death?

* Family Of Arlington Firefighter Elijah Snow Says He Was Kidnapped, Murdered At Cancun Resort
July 22

Last edited:
Well this is a strange one...
-After viewing the photos and catching up here, I do not understand how he died in the manner they are saying. I find that suspicious in itself.
-I don't know what to think about the bruises except they very well be from drunken misadventure. Drunk people do all sorts of crazy, reckless things.
-I've read some people stating what could be the motive or that these resorts are safe. I think we can say just from reading here on Websleuths, motive could be the $100 cash or very well no motive at all becaus there are just some really crappy people in the world and they can be anywhere, even on fancy resorts.
-I find it very suspicious that there may or may not be any video surveillance of him going to the bar or between these two resorts and/or they won't release the footage to the family. I think that in itself says volumes because IMO these places are most likely swarming with cameras.

"Jamie decided to have the body cremated, saying that's what her husband had wanted. They discussed transporting the body back to Texas for an independent autopsy. But authorities said that would delay the release another week.

Another week? Well, what was the problem with that? Another week, another two weeks, another month....it doesn't really matter. You wait and play the game. He's going to be a long time dead, there's no hurry, so you may as well wait and get all the professionals in, if it helps you get nearer the truth.

If you want to get nearer the cause and want another opinion, then wait. What was the big rush to get him back and cremated so quickly? It was all done at a frightening speed.

I can understand she didn't want to stay in Mexico any longer than she needed to, but she could've gone home. Or even flown back out when she was needed. It's not far. Just a few hours.

<snipped>

ETA - And I could be wrong but doesn’t “visitation” generally involve a body in either an open or closed casket?
“Visitation was held on Monday, July 26th 2021 from 6:00 PM to 8:00 PM at the Moore Funeral Home (1219 N Davis Dr, Arlington, TX 76012). A celebration of life was held on Tuesday, July 27th 2021 at 10:00 AM at the Rush Creek Church (2350 SW Green Oaks Blvd, Arlington, TX 76017).”
Elijah Burnett Snow Obituary (1985 - 2021) | Arlington, Texas

In my experience, “viewing” and “visitation” are sometimes used interchangeably, but I think they mean different things, at least to me. “Viewing” implies the casket will be there, and perhaps even open. “Visitation” on the other hand implies to me that the intent is for those who want to pay their respects to the family will be able to do so. There may or may not be a casket. Mr. Snow’s obit said “visitation”, so it would fit the implication that a casket may or may not be there IMHO.

Firefighters in the Family.
Mr. Snow's Father was also an Arlington TX firefighter. Per this story, he would have been, what, about a year old, when his Father died during training accident? Very sad.
And step father is a retired firefighter.

"The profession ran in the family. His father was killed working as a firefighter. A city website says Ron Snow was the first firefighter to be killed in the city in 1985. Snow’s stepfather is also a retired firefighter Elledge said." bbm
Family Of Arlington Firefighter Elijah Snow Says He Was Kidnapped, Murdered At Cancun Resort July 22.
"Snow had been an Arlington firefighter for eight years, according to the fire department. He was the son of Arlington firefighter Ronnie Snow, who died in 1985 during a training accident, according to Arlington fire officials."
https://www.star-telegram.com/news/local/arlington/article252991218.html July 23-24

I know it's been speculated whether or not the photos taken and posted in the Daily Mail had been altered.

The images of ES' front right thigh and back of head, when put through FotoForensics, a program that can highlight potentially Photoshopped elements you might not catch with the naked eye, came back with the appearance of being completely digitally unaltered. Low quality, but not 'shopped'. MOO.

I live in Texas and his story was on my local news channels for days. When they showed his live funeral there was no casket there. I do believe his remains were cremated.
Oh no, I was hoping there was misreporting about that. Disappointing for sure, as, IMO, there should have been an autopsy done here in the states.

Once evidence is gone forever with cremation there is no way to prove or disprove a claim of foul play. On the other hand, it is very natural and quite common for people suffering a terrible loss to look for someone to blame just to make the unthinkable make sense. My opinion and unfortunate experience.

In the big scheme of things, even if it were deemed a homicide, I believe that it would be very hard to prove who did it UNLESS the authorities were willing to look at the security footage and determine what happened using it.

IMO, it would be wise of the resorts to further investigate this incident. They very well could have some unscrupulous employees working for them. This fireman could have been murdered because he put up a fight when someone was robbing the "lone, drunk guy."

If it is one or more employees involved, it won't be the last time that this happens.

JMO.

With these resorts relying so heavily on tourists, one would think they’d want to cooperate with the family and authorities to show they are a trustworthy and safe place to vacation. By allegedly withholding surveillance footage, I think they are hurting themselves by not helping.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leannamj
Back