Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #68 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trying to avoid the distraction of SM's "affair", which is less a sexual infidelity than a desperate escape fantasy and which is no defense to murder. Here's my tally for yesterday.

The prosecution introduced plausible evidence that:

1. There was significant conflict in the marriage, and SM wanted to leave, imminently - before her younger daughter left home.

2. BM knew this, and objected - violently.

3. SM was afraid of BM.

4. While the daughters were away, on May 10 BM and SM got into BM's truck. Several hours later, early in the next morning, only BM got out.

5. BM misled investigators about all this.

A pretty good day IMO, considering the defense tactics. Three more days to come, so I withhold judgment and recommend everyone else do the same. The judge will look at the body of evidence as a whole, and we have seen only a part. Best not to leap to conclusions.

But, you don't know that. I think distance and the fact thhat they were both married probably played into how often they saw each other. My point was. DV victims do NOT put themselves at more risk by having affairs. They just don't.
The evidence shows she was a DV victim. Do you question that because she had an escape fantasy? Please elaborate how this affects your analysis of the evidence.

It won't be long before the Affidavit will be unsealed:

Barry Morphew murder case: Missing wife had extramarital affair before disappearance

Excerpt:

"Monday’s preliminary hearing offered the first look at the evidence against Barry Morphew, which has been kept secret since he was arrested. Investigators filed a 130-page affidavit detailing the case, but it was sealed by 11th Judicial District Chief Judge Patrick Murphy, who in June denied a request from The Denver Post and a group of media outlets to make the document public, citing concerns about Morphew’s right to a fair trial".

"Murphy ruled the affidavit will be released seven days after Morphew’s four-day preliminary hearing, which is set for Monday, Tuesday, and Aug. 23 and 24."

One thought I had about the truck door data (so glad they have that!):

Since we don't know the timing of the previous door openings before 3:26 am and then 8:30am, (approx) I thought that maybe she was killed and put in the back of the truck earlier, and the truck headed out somewhere during the night.

Then maybe 3:26am was when he stopped somewhere to dispose of the body. And maybe whatever he did, ie dig a grave, drive an extra 40 miles in an ATV, etc -- whatever he did to dispose of her took 4-5 hours, and the 8:30 am door opening was when he got back in to continue his drive to Bloomfield.

Just a thought. MOO

I think he may have done somethings to purposely zig zag around to (in his mind) obfuscate his actions but the bleach isn't one of them.
For instance, his going to JP's workplace to fix something on his bobcat could've been to involve JP - who I think BM was trying to add to the list of suspects, just as he sent him to the same hotel room. Only, that backfired.
His mind was on overdrive. Everyone's a meth-head. None of that even matters. What JP found in the room does.
As far as the bleach, I believe JP. Whether it was granular (chlorine) and needed to be hydrated in a utility bucket or standard bleach, BM used it in the hotel room and maybe outside the hotel. I think hotel cameras will factor.
If he used it in his truck it would've been used in the bed and outer foot rails only.
To me that suggests that it's what he put in that bed that needed the heavy cleaning. Possibly where a large cooler(s) or one of those heavy duty tool boxes that sit up against the cab was stored.
There was also word of the strong bleach odor at Puma Path. I believe that too. It'll all fall into place.
The sighting on the road by Station #5 hasn't hit the fan yet.
There's so much more to come. All of his inconsistencies to LE and how he tried to influence a public official (at least one) are yet to be addressed. Then there's SO, in attendance and she may have much more than we've seen.
The judge isn't going to put up with much more of the defense's delay tactics and antics. He seemed fed up at the last hearing, rightfully so. Yada yada. Bail. Yada yada. That was all BM pushing them and reminding those 'women' who's paying the bills. I think there will be bombshells that'll make today seem like a wholesome walk in the park.
YES, I'm rambling and need to sleep. Last night I got about 3 hours, if that.
Sorry to take off on your comment, MG.
.. good night till it be morrow. ~Juliet
I am playing catch up again. But I wanted to address @marylamby 's post.
Yes Mam!! I totally agree!!
Hoping these are addressed today!!
Now let the day begin!!

At one point they were reading from the AA - I understand now why it was 126 pages and I hold firm in my belief that it was completely superfluous and unnecessary. You don't need to prove anything about a victim to show probable cause, IMO. You just need to show the defendant likely carried out the physical act. It's not about eliminating reasonable doubt at that point, it's just the bare minimum to get a judge to sign off.
This is true. But, I think the defense was setting the table here by elaborating so much on Jeff. They were plowing that ground to get feedback from the prosecution and the witnesses for future use. They want to know how Jeff will be used by the prosecution. They obviously will be spending alot of time on him in the trial...to diminish Suzanne's reputation...that is his value. I doubt they expect to cast suspicion on him otherwise...he has an airtight alibi, imo.

Trying to avoid the distraction of SM's "affair", which is less a sexual infidelity than a desperate escape fantasy and which is no defense to murder. Here's my tally for yesterday.

The prosecution introduced plausible evidence that:

1. There was significant conflict in the marriage, and SM wanted to leave, imminently - before her younger daughter left home.

2. BM knew this, and objected - violently.

3. SM was afraid of BM.

4. While the daughters were away, on May 10 BM and SM got into BM's truck. Several hours later, early in the next morning, only BM got out.

5. BM misled investigators about all this.

A pretty good day IMO, considering the defense tactics. Three more days to come, so I withhold judgment and recommend everyone else do the same. The judge will look at the body of evidence as a whole, and we have seen only a part. Best not to leap to conclusions.
Where did you get the detail in number 4? I think that's wrong, or I missed that being said in yesterday's hearing?

Yesterday was a bit of a disappointment as we heard very little about the state’s case. I think that will change in a hurry today, and we’ll finally start hearing about the things that really matter:

Cell phone evidence

Truck data

Surveillance

Where did you get the detail in number 4? I think that's wrong, or I missed that being said in yesterday's hearing?
My numbered points are what I think are reasonable inferences from the evidence produced. I agree there are other inferences possible from the "door activity" evidence, but none of those are good for BM.

Yesterday was a bit of a disappointment as we heard very little about the state’s case. I think that will change in a hurry today, and we’ll finally start hearing about the things that really matter:

Cell phone evidence

Truck data

Surveillance

If I were a juror, I'm not sure any of those things alone would convince me to convict, even given what we have heard so far. It depends on what it is and how much. We shall see... so far I am really underwhelmed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexWorksInTelly