GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
From an investigation standpoint, I think this is very encouraging. The MEs office had her for two full weeks.Very thorough and hopeful that there is still a lot they can and will be doing.

Yes, that is good, and on Bowie, too. I am so hoping they find DNA on him and that it either matches somebody already in the system, or they can use it to nab this guy if he ever commits another crime.

Yes, that is good, and on Bowie, too. I am so hoping they find DNA on him and that it either matches somebody already in the system, or they can use it to nab this guy if he ever commits another crime.
Is that an average amount of time to keep a crime victim? I pray every day for an arrest.

It has been 2 weeks.
Talk about Katie’s death seems to have quieted down, no new reporting because there’s nothing new to report.

Of course they have to keep some things back for the investigation but there have to be other things they can release….if they have a description of the killer, if they know why she was targeted. Do people need to be wary at other parks and outdoor areas? Is there any reason to believe this person is a danger to society(well of course they are but that might need to be spelled out for some people to understand).
I would love to know if they have DNA from the killer and if they have an idea whether the killer is targeting women only.

I date a homicide detective and they never release everything they have. I’m sure most of you know that though but I see a lot of people hung up on why there is only one picture of Katie being presented to the public. I would guarantee you that they have more than just that. They are probably not releasing her exact movements for a reason.

I date a homicide detective and they never release everything they have. I’m sure most of you know that though but I see a lot of people hung up on why there is only one picture of Katie being presented to the public. I would guarantee you that they have more than just that. They are probably not releasing her exact movements for a reason.
Do you think they have a suspect?

What they mean by "zig zagging", is when she crossed the rainbow crosswalk, she is crossing in the direction away from the park, so then she, theoretically, walked the sidewalk across the street from the park and had to go through a crosswalk again to get back to the other side of the street to enter Piedmont Park.
I hope I explained that in a way that makes sense.
I am confused. Maybe someone in Atlanta can help. I thought the photo of Katie and Bowie crossing the street in the Rainbow crosswalk showed her crossing 10th street at Piedmont, crossing south to north?

I thought the police had earlier said that the photo of her crossing the street was that last time she was seen.

Continued prayers for the families. I think about this case everyday.

I too agree she didn’t have the time to scream. I was robbed at knifepoint in ATL in broad daylight and I still never saw him approaching me. If his intent was murder, I’d be gone. Thankfully it wasn’t… and I had my concealed carry on me which he saw and ran away

I am confused. Maybe someone in Atlanta can help. I thought the photo of Katie and Bowie crossing the street in the Rainbow crosswalk showed her crossing 10th street at Piedmont, crossing south to north?

So, this is what I’m seeing on Google maps although I’m not a local. The first picture is what has been said as the last known picture of Katie. The second picture is what I see as being the same location on Google maps (matching up the street light post and the tree visible just to the right). Last picture shows the direction of travel based on that picture, which is up Piedmont Ave.

Unless there is a picture being withheld showing Katie crossing again towards Flying Biscuit, this is all we have to go on.

Attachments

• 438DF013-42CF-4AF1-A5D4-DD0DEAF26410.jpeg
    438DF013-42CF-4AF1-A5D4-DD0DEAF26410.jpeg
    218 KB · Views: 64
  • 38F2B63D-FC4E-4B6D-9798-56229C61189F.jpeg
    38F2B63D-FC4E-4B6D-9798-56229C61189F.jpeg
    130.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 397EBA96-98F0-4515-86B4-80D9560B659B.jpeg
    397EBA96-98F0-4515-86B4-80D9560B659B.jpeg
    121 KB · Views: 44
If you take a look at a few previous posts there are both pics and descriptions of the route she appears to take crossing the rainbow sidewalk. The unknown presently is where she crossed Piedmont given present photos/videos we have of crosswalks and other entrances.
(Unless there is a picture missing she have crossed through the Willy's lot or the the 'mini 12th st', which is not attached to the main 12t st in Atlanta)

Last edited:
So, this is what I’m seeing on Google maps although I’m not a local. The first picture is what has been said as the last known picture of Katie. The second picture is what I see as being the same location on Google maps (matching up the street light post and the tree visible just to the right). Last picture shows the direction of travel based on that picture, which is up Piedmont Ave.

Unless there is a picture being withheld showing Katie crossing again towards Flying Biscuit, this is all we have to go on.
Yes I agree with your photos. So this does shoe her crossing 10th, south to north. It appears from her angle that she had been walking east on 10th, and then crossed to the north side. She could have continued north on Piedmont and entered the park from that gate at 12th a block up, or continued east on 10th and entered the park there. But we know there are cameras at the Piedmont and 12th gate that should have seen her and apparently didn't. So I speculate she continued up 10th to the park.

Yes I agree with your photos. So this does shoe her crossing 10th, south to north. It appears from her angle that she had been walking east on 10th, and then crossed to the north side. She could have continued north on Piedmont and entered the park from that gate at 12th a block up, or continued east on 10th and entered the park there. But we know there are cameras at the Piedmont and 12th gate that should have seen her and apparently didn't. So I speculate she continued up 10th to the park.
I see this now, too. So which side of Piedmont was she on? The park side, or opposite?

There is also an entrance into the park via a footpath down 11th St NE.

Emma said in her interview that Katie wouldn’t have traveled deep into the park. This statement coupled with the only picture we have caused me to speculate that she enters the park from Piedmont Ave and follows the path on the outskirts of the park parallel to 10th.

Attachments

• D8484B97-8BC3-4275-9F46-91BC81DF6869.jpeg
    D8484B97-8BC3-4275-9F46-91BC81DF6869.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 19
What they mean by "zig zagging", is when she crossed the rainbow crosswalk, she is crossing in the direction away from the park, so then she, theoretically, walked the sidewalk across the street from the park and had to go through a crosswalk again to get back to the other side of the street to enter Piedmont Park.
Gotcha. That makes way more sense, thanks.

I’m not very good at sleuthing that kind of info. Does anybody know how to determine whether CJ was out on bail/bond at the time Katie was killed (after initially being denied bond on 6/11)? Tia
rsbm. There's no bond listed on his jail booking, so presumably he's still in custody now. I hope so, anyway. The similarities are certainly compelling, though. And what are the odds of two violent offenders with the same MO and type of victim scenario less than two months and six miles apart?

Edit: I'm not sure if it's appropriate/allowed to post CJ's booking since he hasn't been linked to the case, but it can be located through the general Dekalb jail search.

I see this now, too. So which side of Piedmont was she on? The park side, or opposite?
In the rainbow crosswalk photo Katie is on the west side of Piedmont, so opposite of the park. But her angle in the crosswalk makes me believe she was about to cross Piedmont to the east/park side. She could have then either continued up Piedmont and entered the park from various places, or continued east on 10th and entered the park anywhere.

In the rainbow crosswalk photo, Katie appears to be headed to the park.

What's up with the 12:09 timestamp, vs lack of timestamp, of Katie and Bowie in the crosswalk?

This is the image APD released showing the time

This is the CBC46 article showing no time

Why is the time not shown on images in MSM articles? IMO, the time shown on the APD image is not typical of a surveillance cam timestamp (which usually contains date and time, down to minutes and seconds) and appears to have been typed/applied to the image, not part of the original image. Is it possible the original time on the image was determined to possibly be inaccurate or is it a red herring?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dil2288