Found Deceased CO - Suzanne Morphew, 49, Chaffee County, 10 May 2020 #71 *ARREST*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m not a big fan of SR. Have to say, isn’t it better for the prosecution to end on on some big stuff in two weeks rather than giving the defense the two weeks to prepare for anything. I have never seen a prelim disrupted like this. 2 days here then two days in two weeks to finish up…but these are unusually times. I also feel like the defense is ‘trying’ to run the clock out and not allowing the prosecution to have all 8 witnesses testify.
Question-if they do indeed “run out the clock”, what happens? Can the Judge just say he has enough PC and that’s it? I assume he cannot free Barry without allowing the prosecution to finish, but if he feels that they have already established PC, can he end it? Or would Barry have to remain incarcerated and they pick the next date available on the Judge’s calendar to resume?

Just curious: What are Websleuthers’ ideas about WHEN BM killed Suzanne? And WHEN he put her someplace? And WHERE? All which fit what we now know about BM’s truck movements. (I am still confused about the Range Rover and if it had tracking data.)

Last thread a knowledgeable poster pointed out that one cannot just go and spontaneously dig a deep hole in mountain soil/rocks. I agree.

Many many threads ago a very clever poster pointed out that recent spousal/child murderers use familiar job/hobby knowledge to try to outsmart LE. I agree as that’s been the case with Frazee, Watts, Redwine, S Peterson, Henthorn, and even Letecia and her hiking/shopping places.

I am personally trying to reconcile the truck movements which LE presented and the (so far) lack of info regarding cadaver hits at PP.
This particular killer had use of heavy equipment (including an auger), a trailer to haul it, and the benefit of time and complete control over his own work schedule. BM may have made his hole weeks before SM disappeared and that hole sat temporarily filled until his moment to use it arrived. The only constraint would be that it would have to be a location in relatively close proximity to where he could haul that trailer with equipment aboard.

WHAT?! HIS ring or HER ring?

While Suzanne’s phone has not been found, investigators were able to recover documents from her iCould account. One of those documents was a list Suzanne made on May 8, entitled “grievances.” It included notes like “wedding ring,” which Barry allegedly took and melted at some point. She also noted women on Facebook, which Barry told her was good for business, as well as an incident in Mexico where Barry tried to take her phone away and look at it.

Prosecutors Outline Barry And Suzanne Morphew's Movements On Days Around Her Disappearance

Ashley Franco
@AshleyKKTV

·
Aug 9
Replying to
@AshleyKKTV
Defense says JL did not think BM knew that SM was seeing JL. JL told investigators that he believes BM would've come after him if that were the case.
@KKTV11News

edited to initials

This is what I believe JL said - the "hometown" reporter has missed some important facts. is there a bias?

On another note - @OldCop and I are re-visiting the timeline with particular attention to the May 9 and 10 dates and will post it once we cross reference the tweets that are in disagreement.
Very cool!!
It crossed my mind to do something similar, but now I won't have to. Your two great minds will be perfect!

I really don't think SM was referring to opioids here and/or hydrocodone. SM was scheduled for her post-cancer annual when she vanished. I believe her last chemo treatment was around October 2018. I think 'hydro' was an abbreviation for hydroponic cannabis. SM told SO that BM believed using 'hydro' would cause SM to act differently. We previously learned from Andy that BM was very anti-drugs, did not or seldom drank, and was very much opposed to SM bringing cannabis into their home. MOO

What is hydroponic cannabis?

Simply put, hydroponic weed—often called hydro weed—is cannabis grown using a hydroponic method. Typically, hydroponic weed is grown indoors in a fully controlled environment.

Hydroponics Definition & Information - Weedmaps

Well, I bet Barry wouldn't know how to spell that either. :) MOO

I really don't think SM was referring to opioids here and/or hydrocodone. SM was scheduled for her post-cancer annual when she vanished. I believe her last chemo treatment was around October 2018. I think 'hydro' was an abbreviation for hydroponic cannabis. SM told SO that BM believed using 'hydro' would cause SM to act differently. We previously learned from Andy that BM was very anti-drugs, did not or seldom drank, and was very much opposed to SM bringing cannabis into their home. MOO

What is hydroponic cannabis?

Simply put, hydroponic weed—often called hydro weed—is cannabis grown using a hydroponic method. Typically, hydroponic weed is grown indoors in a fully controlled environment.

Hydroponics Definition & Information - Weedmaps
ITA - it's common for cancer and other medically prescribed patients to use "hydro" for the medical hydroponic cannabis - no stigma, it's perfectly legal with your RX and you don't have to smoke it - edibles are quite popular here. I believe this is what she is referring to. but wow - how controlling was he - what to wear, what prescriptions she could and could not take - probably wanted her hair in a specific style too.

In May, the sheriff’s office, the FBI and CBI conducted a three-day search at a residential construction site east of Salida. The property owner told CBS4’s Rick Sallinger that Suzanne’s husband, Barry, laid the dirt at the riverfront property.

CHAFFEE-CO-MISSING-WOMAN-10-PKG_frame_0.jpeg

(credit: CBS)

Officials with the sheriff’s office said they did not make any connection to Suzanne’s case.
Missing Mom: Suzanne Morphew Disappeared 6 Months Ago

so where did this search fit in with their timeline? they haven't said yet what led them to look there - cell phone pings, truck data, etc. In trying to re-create the AA - I'm trying to figure out why they stop at 5:37am on May 10 regarding the steps he took?The affidavit reads, as read by Nielsen: From 2:47 p.m. May 9 until 5:37 a.m. May 10, he took steps to dispose of evidence of Suzanne’s disappearance and death. What about all the trash dumps throughout Sunday ?
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...rs-confirm-suzanne-was-having-a-2-year-affair

timeline
Walker said the last activity on Suzanne’s phone was from 4:23 a.m. on May 10, 2020. Her phone pinged from a cell tower in Poncha Springs,
They are leaving sections out. For this prelim, my guess, they are giving just enuf to get the judges approval for trial.

If BM had used the darts on deer and/or elk in the past in relation to his Indiana deer farm,* he likely had a good idea how much tranquilizer to use to put SM down as well as how long she'd stay down.

*CM on The Interview Room was the person who revealed that BM had at one time had a deer farm.

We also know that BM was a big game hunter that took exotic trips across the globe to "trophy hunt." I have no doubt that BM had access to serious, tranquilizer material.

CM/Interview Room further reported that BM and his bobcat were working in Indiana last year on or around the property of another large deer farm. The owner of the property is believed to be a longtime friend of BM. Personally, I think this individual was the matching donor to BM's $100K reward for SM.

MOO

This particular killer had use of heavy equipment (including an auger), a trailer to haul it, and the benefit of time and complete control over his own work schedule. BM may have made his hole weeks before SM disappeared and that hole sat temporarily filled until his moment to use it arrived. The only constraint would be that it would have to be a location in relatively close proximity to where he could haul that trailer with equipment aboard.
Once a piling hole was dug, filling it in could be done fairly quick by a human with a shovel.

I think you can buy empty darts and fill them with whatever.

So I remember talk of some sort of deer farm that Barry either owned or associated with back in Indiana.

I imagine this is how he may have been able to obtain the tranquilizer.

Learning that the darts can be bought separate from the tranquilizer leads me to this question: what if he put something worse than tranquilizer in the dart? Something more immediately poisonous? :(

MOO

We also know that BM was a big game hunter that took exotic trips across the globe to "trophy hunt." I have no doubt that BM had access to serious, tranquilizer material.

CM/Interview Room further reported that BM and his bobcat were working in Indiana last year on or around the property of another large deer farm. The owner of the property is believed to be a longtime friend of BM. Personally, I think this individual was the matching donor to BM's $100K reward for SM.

MOO
Curious... do you know if this friend is also the one that said that if BM wanted to disappear a body, LE would never be able to find it?

Catching up on day 2 of preliminary- is awful to think about what Suzanne endured, just wanted to say chipmunk thing - in Suzanne's birthday vid made by friend, there's a clip of her feeding chipmunks? Sorry if mentioned, just thought it, ummm, coincidental?

eta - thanks to all who posted the tweets!
Do you have link to this video?

I think the Darts came from the fire department. I lived in the Springs for years. Every now in then, there would be a bear or moose downtown.
Plus, there are a lot of big cats in and around that area. I've seen FD use them a couple of times.

The whole purpose of tranquilizing an animal is to humanely relocated it.
If a predator is praying on the animals at your farm, you don't tranquilize it and
you do not relocated it humanely.

I think he had this fantasy and plan for years. His boo hoo , I'm going kill myself , was all totally BS.

I think he pulled of his plan for some reason on that day. A little before he was prepared. That's why the 6 trash dump.

Four or five cops come to my door.
"Hi fella's"
"Hi sunshine4040, we understand that your wife is missing"
"Yea she is don't know where she is"
" Well, someone heard a shot here that night and we found the animal tranquilizing darts"

I told them that I was tranquilizing chipmunks.
They all looked at me like I was fing stupid.

IMHO

MOO
I live in Indiana.....some of those deer farms are not very large....meaning, its like shooting fish in a barrel. I personally don't approve, but thats neither here nor there.

IIRC, it is believed that Fotis Dulos cut his finger or thumb when attacking his estranged wife, Jennifer. His blood was found on the kitchen faucet as well as on a cabinet door (or possibly it was the kitchen door) at Jennifer's home.

So, it is possible that Fotis removed Jennifer's clothing items and cleaned her body because he feared his own blood might have spilled upon her and her clothing and if her remains were ever to be discovered before they decomposed enough for that blood to be destroyed, he did not want that connection to him to be present.

Others have speculated that Fotis may have used some product to speed decomposition and removed the clothing to allow that product direct contact with her tissues. Bags of lime had been found in a tarp and grill-covered hole that approximated the dimensions and shape of a grave on a hunting club property that Fotis's attorney and co-conspirator had access to.

I wonder if BM paid much attention to the Dulos case or others that discussed using certain products to speed decomposition. My understanding is that lime can in fact slow decomposition and the assumption that it helps speed decomposition is a myth. I believe that Israel Keyes used Drano to speed decomposition of the bodies of the couple he abducted and killed in Vermont.
ITA with you. Because Barry was in landscaping, he might have had lime on hand to use, or he could have simply bought some. I wouldn't be surprised if he did follow the Dulos case.

The prosecution suggests that the erratic movements recorded on BM’s phone are evidence of him chasing SM around the house (I’m not clear if around the house means inside, outside, or both).

Is there a guess if this chasing was before or after being (potentially) hit with a dart?

I’m a little surprised a dart would leave no blood trail, and no blood from falling over. Maybe he cleaned really well.

This is all so horrible to hypothesize. What kind of monster shoots their spouse with a tranquilizer dart? So unbelievably horrible. How I wish she’d left earlier, with no warning :( I think she knew he was dangerous, but I don’t think she ever imagined this level of diabolical.

But did JL really say that he didn’t think BM had anything to do with it ? I don’t recall hearing that. But haven’t had a lot of sleep this week lol .

I rather doubt JL said that. What I recall being reported that JL said when Barry mentioned that if one person was saved then it's worth it, then that is when he knew Barry did it!

"In August 2020, before his arrest, Barry spoke to FOX 21, stating that his wife's disappearance was "the most devastating thing that has ever happened to me."

"But I have got to keep my faith and trust in God," he said. "And Suzanne trusted the Lord and if one person got saved from this, she would think it was worth it. And we are just a Godly, loving, caring, family and this thing is just a tragedy."

Preliminary Hearing for Missing Colo. Mom Suzanne Morphew Unveils Extramarital Affair, Arguments About Money

In May, the sheriff’s office, the FBI and CBI conducted a three-day search at a residential construction site east of Salida. The property owner told CBS4’s Rick Sallinger that Suzanne’s husband, Barry, laid the dirt at the riverfront property.

CHAFFEE-CO-MISSING-WOMAN-10-PKG_frame_0.jpeg

(credit: CBS)

Officials with the sheriff’s office said they did not make any connection to Suzanne’s case.
Missing Mom: Suzanne Morphew Disappeared 6 Months Ago

so where did this search fit in with their timeline? they haven't said yet what led them to look there - cell phone pings, truck data, etc. In trying to re-create the AA - I'm trying to figure out why they stop at 5:37am on May 10 regarding the steps he took?The affidavit reads, as read by Nielsen: From 2:47 p.m. May 9 until 5:37 a.m. May 10, he took steps to dispose of evidence of Suzanne’s disappearance and death. What about all the trash dumps throughout Sunday ?
https://www.thedenverchannel.com/ne...rs-confirm-suzanne-was-having-a-2-year-affair

timeline
Walker said the last activity on Suzanne’s phone was from 4:23 a.m. on May 10, 2020. Her phone pinged from a cell tower in Poncha Springs,

I believe it was PE's recap of day 2 prelim where a tweet was read which indicated the bobcat was equipped with GPS. (Prior to OE equipped GPS, this was a huge after-market business known to equipment owners).

I believe it was probably the GPS from the bobcat that led investigators to dig up the river home site.

MOO

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member