GA - Katherine Janness, 40, fatally stabbed and dog killed, Piedmont Park, Atlanta, 28 July 2021 #2

Status
Not open for further replies.
It really doesn't sound like there's been an official answer on whether Katie walked down Piedmont Road and entered the park through 11th/12th street, or if they continued on 10th and entered that way.

One point of context. Katie and Emma lived about .7 miles south of Piedmont Park. Near the intersection of North Ave and Myrtle. Myrtle Street runs directly to almost the entrance of Piedmont Park.

On a normal day, if they walked their dogs to Piedmont Park, you'd likely be taking Myrtle 90% of the time. The nearest entrance is right after Post Midtown Apts, I refer to it as the "10th street entrance" but not sure if others do. It's a sidewalk in Piedmont Park that runs parallel to 10th. Using that as context because if they were coming from Henry's, they'd probably feel more comfortable entering the park on 10th street, and using that sidewalk.

I'm a male, who walks dogs in the park and there's really no way I'd want to enter via 12th/11th with the goal of taking the larger walkway through the park to exit at Charles Allen. It's really not well lit at all and has a ton of tree canopy coverage that makes it even darker (more secluded) than normal.

My initial instinct was they were walking on the 10th street sidewalk (not PP sidewalk.) Because at night, it's not well lit--and you'd likely encounter at least 5 or 6 homeless people who may try to engage in conversation with you. That happens during the daytime, I'd definitely want to avoid it at night.

If they did take the Piedmont Park sidewalk that runs parallel to 10th, that will bring you right up to the Charles Allen entrance. I'd likely be exiting there to turn around and take 10th street to Myrtle to head home (or to Henrys.) You of course could take Charles Allen to Ponce, but that's a sketchier route in general.

Since they haven't released (maybe intentional) photos of Katie walking on the 10th street sidewalk, my best guess is that they were on the Piedmont Park sidewalk which runs parallel to 10th. Upon nearing the Charles Allen entrance I'd wager someone was possibly hiding there. They may have encountered Bowie (which would match up with where body was found, and Katie may have run away and ended up over to the right by the tree where she was found.)

I just find it so hard to believe that she would want enter Piedmont Park from 11th or 12th street entrances. It's way out of the way, and significantly sketchier at night.

Last input I have, is I really hope they reached out to all the residential houses that live East of Monroe and border the park. I'd also wager Park Tavern has some cameras. I really doubt the Killer exited at a main entrance. If I was trying to leave undetected, I'd probably head towards Park Drive or Amsterdam to exit the area.

Last edited:
@YankeeTrucker the DAs office was on the scene the night Katie and Bowie were discovered. I can't recall where I read this or I'd link it in however it was MSM.

It was mentioned in her press conference. She said, "when there is a homicide in Atlanta my office reports to that case immediately" and "what ever time time of day that happens we send a trained investigator and lawyer."

How can there not be a threat to the public? A woman was brutalized and murdered by an unknown person. In a location with pedestrian traffic, albeit late at night. How is APD sure this person won't strike again?

They can't be sure. That's why they are advising people to go out in groups especially at night and take other precautions.

Here's my problem with Katie walking 10th St. or the park trail that runs parallel to 10th. In the potential witness photos, like the one I've attached, it appears the camera captures some of the park road near where Bowie was found. They were found on the opposite side of the road from that trail, somewhere in the vacinity of the bathroom. I know many believe LE could be withholding photos of Katie, but if they are not, she would have had to cross that road just out of camera view inside the Charles Allen gate. If she had been on the park trail, why would she not cross in the lighted area?

Attachments

• 20210811_171648.jpg
    20210811_171648.jpg
    94.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
It really doesn't sound like there's been an official answer on whether Katie walked down Piedmont Road and entered the park through 11th/12th street, or if they continued on 10th and entered that way.

One point of context. Katie and Emma lived about .7 miles south of Piedmont Park. Near the intersection of North Ave and Myrtle. Myrtle Street runs directly to almost the entrance of Piedmont Park.

On a normal day, if they walked their dogs to Piedmont Park, you'd likely be taking Myrtle 90% of the time. The nearest entrance is right after Post Midtown Apts, I refer to it as the "10th street entrance" but not sure if others do. It's a sidewalk in Piedmont Park that runs parallel to 10th. Using that as context because if they were coming from Henry's, they'd probably feel more comfortable entering the park on 10th street, and using that sidewalk.

I'm a male, who walks dogs in the park and there's really no way I'd want to enter via 12th/11th with the goal of taking the larger walkway through the park to exit at Charles Allen. It's really not well lit at all and has a ton of tree canopy coverage that makes it even darker (more secluded) than normal.

My initial instinct was they were walking on the 10th street sidewalk (not PP sidewalk.) Because at night, it's not well lit--and you'd likely encounter at least 5 or 6 homeless people who may try to engage in conversation with you. That happens during the daytime, I'd definitely want to avoid it at night.

If they did take the Piedmont Park sidewalk that runs parallel to 10th, that will bring you right up to the Charles Allen entrance. I'd likely be exiting there to turn around and take 10th street to Myrtle to head home (or to Henrys.) You of course could take Charles Allen to Ponce, but that's a sketchier route in general.

Since they haven't released (maybe intentional) photos of Katie walking on the 10th street sidewalk, my best guess is that they were on the Piedmont Park sidewalk which runs parallel to 10th. Upon nearing the Charles Allen entrance I'd wager someone was possibly hiding there. They may have encountered Bowie (which would match up with where body was found, and Katie may have run away and ended up over to the right by the tree where she was found.)

I just find it so hard to believe that she would want enter Piedmont Park from 11th or 12th street entrances. It's way out of the way, and significantly sketchier at night.

Last input I have, is I really hope they reached out to all the residential houses that live East of Monroe and border the park. I'd also wager Park Tavern has some cameras. I really doubt the Killer exited at a main entrance. If I was trying to leave undetected, I'd probably head towards Park Drive or Amsterdam to exit the area.

That’s great information! 2 questions…

1. At a leisure pace, how long would it take to walk from the rainbow crosswalk up 10th to the Charles Allen Gate?

2. What is visibility like along the Piedmont Park sidewalk vs where her body was found? It may be a weird question, but I’m getting the impression that this whole area is very dark.

1. At a leisure pace, how long would it take to walk from the rainbow crosswalk up 10th to the Charles Allen Gate?

2. What is visibility like along the Piedmont Park sidewalk vs where her body was found? It may be a weird question, but I’m getting the impression that this whole area is very dark.
It is about 700 meters from the crosswalk to Charles Allen Gate. I would think that with a dog, stopping to sniff stuff, it would take maybe 15 minutes to walk that. She was allegedly at the crosswalk at 12:09 I think. So that would put her near the gate around 12:24 or so. That would to me, seem to about the beginning of the time frame that I think the attack could have occurred. I was thinking anywhere from 12:30 to 12:50. I still would like to know at what time did Emma try to text Katie and not get a response. But I don't know if Emma has said.
I also get the impression that the park is pretty dark at night.

1. It really depends on the dog. If you're letting them sniff--it could take 20 minutes. I'd imagine with no dog it would be about a 10 minute walk.

2. The Piedmont Park sidewalk has the entire field to the left, with decent visibility (even at night.) To the right of the PP Sidewalk path there is mulch, benches (which homeless would sleep on), and then bushes and smaller trees. The 10th street path and the PP Path are as close as maybe 20 feet together at certain points.

When you approach the Charles Allen Gate, the path does split--and you do encounter more thick bushes where someone could theoretically hide.

Where she was found (based on that twitter photo) it is off the larger sidewalk, across from Charles Allen Drive. I dont think anyone would see her if they were on the walking path. I could even justify someone not seeing her final resting spot if they were on Charles Allen after midnight. If you were with a group (like the three people that ATL PD wanted to talk to) you could theoretically be engrossed in convo and wouldn't be looking off the path.

If you were the blue shirt runner--you're likely just looking down and wouldn't see her unless you were scanning for her.

If it was daylight you would definitely see her easily, but at night it's not well lit.

The darkness in the park is what makes me think the killer crossed paths with Katie elsewhere, then followed her and positioned himself in a location to surprise her.

It wouldn’t make sense for the killer lie in wait all night and attack a complete random. Because in that area at that hour, it sounds like his odds would’ve been just as likely to accidentally pounce on a machete welding homeless man. He had to know who or what he was attacking.

Maybe I’m crazy (rhetorical), but I feel this person is on camera somewhere. LE aren’t really asking for the publics help right now and everything is quiet. I think this is a positive sign for justice.

The darkness in the park is what makes me think the killer crossed paths with Katie elsewhere, then followed her and positioned himself in a location to surprise her.

It wouldn’t make sense for the killer lie in wait all night and attack a complete random. Because in that area at that hour, it sounds like his odds would’ve been just as likely to accidentally pounce on a machete welding homeless man. He had to know who or what he was attacking.

Maybe I’m crazy (rhetorical), but I feel this person is on camera somewhere. LE aren’t really asking for the publics help right now and everything is quiet. I think this is a positive sign for justice.

I hope you're right. I hope they have the information they need, and they're tying up loose ends, dotting the Is and crossing the Ts and getting ready to arrest this psycho.

Your second paragraph brings me back to my uneasy feeling that this was personal, though. I just keep thinking that unless it's a serial with a very specific MO and some practice, stabbing/up-close killing tends to be personal, mutilation tends to be personal, and working in the bar/restaurant industry, she'd know people who know their way around a sharp knife.

Communication from the Piedmont Park Conservancy
(Although it is is public park, the park conservancy is the nonprofit that helps support the park)

"The past few weeks have been difficult for our community. As key supporters of Piedmont Park, we all have been concerned, grieving and scared about the violence that has happened in our park.

Piedmont Park Conservancy has received many questions about this tragedy and its impact. Please know that the safety and well-being of all of our visitors is paramount. We wanted to share what we have learned so far, what we are currently doing and where we anticipate our path forward will lead.

The Conservancy has been focused on aiding the City of Atlanta, especially local law enforcement and federal investigators as they look into this tragedy. This has included providing key information about daily park operations and protocols and sharing as much information we can. We have welcomed an increase of police presence in Piedmont Park to reassure visitors and to help reinforce that our park is still one of the safest in the country. The Park remains open for normal hours of operations between 6am and 11pm and all permitted events remain scheduled. People coming to the park keep it safe, and we will continue to remain open for people to enjoy.

The City and law enforcement agencies will continue to own and manage the ongoing investigation. They will provide official updates, and we are committed to doing everything we can to work in partnership with them to ensure we both listen and learn from this event and anticipate what we can collectively do to prevent something like this from happening in the future.

Their work may take some time to complete. In the interim, we are in the process of soliciting a number of independent security experts to help us evaluate what we can do to enhance the public’s safety when visiting the park. We will learn from their expertise and share their recommendations with the City of Atlanta for their review, consideration and implementation.

Our hearts continue to go out to all of those who were impacted by this tragedy. While we continue to move forward through these difficult times, we hope that you will find some time to visit the Park and find solace in its beauty. The Park remains a comforting and healing place for us to gather and enjoy one another’s company in the heart of the City celebrating lives both lived and lost."

I hope you're right. I hope they have the information they need, and they're tying up loose ends, dotting the Is and crossing the Ts and getting ready to arrest this psycho.

Your second paragraph brings me back to my uneasy feeling that this was personal, though. I just keep thinking that unless it's a serial with a very specific MO and some practice, stabbing/up-close killing tends to be personal, mutilation tends to be personal, and working in the bar/restaurant industry, she'd know people who know their way around a sharp knife.

I keep circling back to it’s someone she encountered earlier in the night at some point and this person had bad intentions from the beginning. Possibly at Emma’s work. I see this as a face to face attack, like you said, personal. Whether that be personal against women or for some other reason. If it was a woman thing, they had to have been about to tell Katie was a woman outside of all of that darkness.

I just don’t see the killer hiding, thinking to himself “the next person that walks this way when none are around, I’m killing them.”

but why the dog??

I was just at Piedmont Park.... Entering from the entrance where Katie and Bowie were found. They claim to have added "police presence" there were 4 police standing out across the street talking... once you go into the park NOTHING. If that person is still in the area you could easily be attacked in there and the police wouldn't have heard or seen anything. They need to get them on bikes actually patrolling the park. ATL people I would say this park still isn't "safe" and don't go there alone.

Also what are everyones opinions on why the FBI got involved? I know they said they needed "additional resources" but I think there's much more to it than that.

Last edited:
I keep circling back to it’s someone she encountered earlier in the night at some point and this person had bad intentions from the beginning. Possibly at Emma’s work. I see this as a face to face attack, like you said, personal. Whether that be personal against women or for some other reason. If it was a woman thing, they had to have been about to tell Katie was a woman outside of all of that darkness.

I just don’t see the killer hiding, thinking to himself “the next person that walks this way when none are around, I’m killing them.”

but why choose someone with a dog??

because the dog was most likely trying to protect and defend her, got in the way...so unfortunately was killed.

I was just at Piedmont Park.... Entering from the entrance where Katie and Bowie were found. They claim to have "added police presence" there were 4 police standing out across the street talking... once you go into the park NOTHING. If that person is still in the area you could easily be attacked in there and the police wouldn't have heard or seen anything. They need to get them on bikes actually patroling the park. ATL people I would say this park still isn't "safe" and don't go there alone.

Also what are everyones opinions on why the FBI got involved? I know they said they needed "additional resources" but I think theres much more to it than that. Possible hate crime/serial?
Headline from main local paper and quoted from the Mayor.
"Mayor: No evidence of serial killer, hate crime in Piedmont Park deaths"

Also what are everyones opinions on why the FBI got involved? I know they said they needed "additional resources" but I think theres much more to it than that. Possible hate crime/serial?

Hate Crimes and Behavioral Science are two different units, and at one point I was able to finally confirm that it was a team from Behavioral Science that came on board. I don’t remember where, exactly, but it was a MSM news source.

Hate Crimes and Behavioral Science are two different units, and at one point I was able to finally confirm that it was a team from Behavioral Science that came on board. I don’t remember where, exactly, but it was a MSM news source.
Not saying you are incorrect, but can you please provide a link or the source if you wind up recalling? My understanding is that to date the FBI has not confirmed its role to the public. (Nor has APD).

There was this from the local CBS affiliate but it was outsider conjecture:
"said CBS46 crime scene expert Sheryl "Mac" McCollum.
She is not involved in the investigation but offered insight and expertise to analyze the case. "It sounds to me like it was a blitz attack. It just happened quick, she never even saw the person coming is what it appears," she said.
McCollum commended APD's choice of requesting the FBI.
"They’ve got profilers, they’ve got a behavioral unit, they can tell us a lot about this killer. The location, what they notice, what they saw," she said. "Was she posed in some way? Where exactly was she stabbed? All of those things are going to matter to the FBI.”

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member